Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting rights

• 18-10-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

hi all just a quick question or two for the legal minded of you fellow shooters.

1. Can a gun club hold the shooting/sporting rights to parcels of land inside the club boundries without the knowledge of the land owner.(ie no reference in burdens on land registery documents)

2.Has a gun club the right to stop the landowner or his/her invitees shooting said land inside club boundries.

3.if the sporting rights are held by someone (club or individual other than landowner) can the landowner legally refuse them access to the land eg. have them charged for trespassing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭duckman!!

Now my advice could be wrong but as far as i know........ im not :D

1. No, unless the gun club bought the shooting rights before the land owner bought the land!

2. No, if the land owner holds the shooting rights to his land and never gave sole shooting permission to the
    gun club they cant do anything.
    If the land owner gave sole shooting rights to the local gun club then they have the right to stop people!

3. No, they have a right of way when they hold the shooting rights, i think the land owner could get in trouble for denying access.

I ran into problems last year when a local gun club stopped me and my brother shooting on lands that they have zero rights on,
    the land owner never even knew there was a gun club nearby. it got messy and we decided to leave because we didnt want trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭cz223

It is my understanding that if the landowner purchased the parcel of land after the shooting rights were sold it will be detailed in the burdens on the deeds of the land. if they were just given to a third party then the land owner has the rights to request them back and they have to be released .I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you think the firearms act is complicated, land ownership law will recalibrate you :D
    OP, as far as I know the answer to all three of your questions is yes, with the large caveat that it's an unlikely situation; but you really want to ask a solicitor about it if you're asking for a reason other than idle curiosity...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

From a shooting entitlement point of view permission only means that you are allowed to shoot on and over the land with the agreement of the holder of the title to the sporting rights and the land owner which often is one and the same person.

Whoever owns the land including shooting rights can give or deny permission to anyone. A local club unless they own the sporting rights and/or the land have no authority at all to remove you from the land once you have permission to be there.

Advertisement