Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iPod Touch

• 05-09-2011 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Okay so, not sure if this is the correct thread to post this in, if not could someone direct me to the right one please.

I was just wondering if I would be better off getting an iPod touch and using the internet and stuff on that, or buying a regular smart phone.

At the moment I have a very cheap Samsung, not sure of the name but it was only €50, and I also have a Creative Zen mp3 player which is slowly dying after 5 years of usage.
    I really want to change one of them but I'd like to hear people's opinions.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,312 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have an iTouch and for a long time managed with an 'ordinary' phone though I've since dipped my toe in the water - when the HTC Desire went below €100 I couldn't resist so now I have an Android with a 500MB p.m. data allowance and I also have my iTouch.

If you don't need instant notification of incoming e-mails, if you don't need to access stock market prices every waking minute of the day and if you don't need to be able to place a bet with Paddy Power using a smart app then you'll get by with an iTouch. As long as you frequent cafes and bars with free Wi-Fi then you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭is maith liom chocolate

Yeah I'm also thinking that I would break a smart phone. My friend is willing to sell me her iTouch 2nd generation for €70, and I could get the new one for €229 (8GB)or €299 (32GB) depending which size. Was thinking the 32GB might be a better investmant.

oh and my friend's one is only 8GB.

I have a 32GB 2nd generation iTouch, PM me if you're interested. I upgraded earlier this year to a 4th gen model.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yeah I'm also thinking that I would break a smart phone. My friend is willing to sell me her iTouch 2nd generation for €70, and I could get the new one for €229 (8GB)or €299 (32GB) depending which size. Was thinking the 32GB might be a better investmant.

oh and my friend's one is only 8GB.

If you think you'll break a smartphone, you'd break an iPod Touch as well:D
    Phones will do anything you need these days, much better to get a decent phone that will do everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

a possible solution...

get a nice mid range smart phone + 32GB micro SD card = no need for iPod and you have a phone that can get on the internet and all that goes with smartphones

• Advertisement

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    a possible solution...

get a nice mid range smart phone + 32GB micro SD card = no need for iPod and you have a phone that can get on the internet and all that goes with smartphones

The problem is that the OP has an iTouch so he probably has a load of iPhone apps which provide a lot more functionality and access to information than android or symbian apps.

If he went for a smartphone (other than an iPhone) and left his iTouch at home, he would very soon find himself in a bar or cafe with free Wi-Fi and he'd quickly be regretting that he left the iTouch at home.

Advertisement