Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a house in Rathfarnham

• 20-05-2014 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I am looking for a house and have my eye on a couple of the houses in Rathfarnham. I'm an expats so don't know much about the area but I'm getting worried after reading that there are some dodgy areas.

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

What are the areas specifically? There are one or two less desirable areas in Rathfarnham but overall they aren't particularly dangerous. Most parts of it are really nice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Rathfarnham is a very large area and encompasses many housing estates, any details or budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Go for a stroll of a few streets around the houses you have your eye on, during the day and again on a Friday or Saturday evening, youll catch on pretty quickly which are less lively than others.

Rathfarnham is a large district of smaller neighbourhoods, the ones in which homes will be less expensive are the traditionally Council estates like Whitechurch, Meadow Park/Carrickmount, Loreto Park

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Are you using "Rathfarnham" in the way an estate agent or someone looking to sell a house would use it? Ballyboden, Ballyroan, parts of Ballinteer and Nutgrove seem to have morphed into Rathfarnham when someone is selling a house.

Most of (Greater) Rathfarnham is very nice .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Are you using "Rathfarnham" in the way an estate agent or someone looking to sell a house would use it? Ballyboden, Ballyroan, parts of Ballinteer and Nutgrove seem to have morphed into Rathfarnham when someone is selling a house.

The areas you mention apart from Ballinteer have always been considered Rathfarnham.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rathfarnham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

part of Nutgrove where always Rathfarnham. e.g HB were in Rathfarhnam as is loreteo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

It's a bit strange Elaine to put your date of birth in your username. Just as a heads-up, the internet is not solely full of helpful folk like on this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Rathfarnham extends from the Dodder to Marlay Park, and from Ballyroan to Nutgrove. It's one of the biggest suburbs in terms of area on the southside. Most of it is middle class, with a few ex-council estates.

The areas you mention apart from Ballinteer have always been considered Rathfarnham.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rathfarnham
    ted1 wrote: »
    part of Nutgrove where always Rathfarnham. e.g HB were in Rathfarhnam as is loreteo etc.
    Aard wrote: »
    Rathfarnham extends from the Dodder to Marlay Park, and from Ballyroan to Nutgrove. It's one of the biggest suburbs in terms of area on the southside. Most of it is middle class, with a few ex-council estates.

Well I'm from Ballyboden and would have regarded it as separate from Rathfarnham when growing up as I would Ballyroan and Nutgrove. HB was just on the boundary of Rathfarnham in my mind. Do parishes not exist anymore?

By the way, wikipedia isn't always reliable as history!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Whitechurch is dodgy, especially up around the Furry Bog but the rest is pretty much grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

I'm from Rathfarnham too, near enough to Nutgrove and it was always considered Rathfarnham to the best of my knowledge. Has been for 30 odd years anyway!

Well I'm from Ballyboden and would have regarded it as separate from Rathfarnham when growing up as I would Ballyroan and Nutgrove. HB was just on the boundary of Rathfarnham in my mind. Do parishes not exist anymore?

And I grew up in Marley Grange.
    parishes are not areas. Marley is in Rathfarnham but was in its own parish
    Marley Grange Parish is in the Southside of Dublin, close to Dundrum and Ballinteer. The parish was created by the Archdiocese of Dublin in December 1981 from Churchtown Parish. We have 1,600 households within our community.

The Parish takes in part of the Grange Road, together with Park Avenue, Eden Estate, Hermitage, Marley Grange, Grange Manor, Grange Downs, Grange Wood, Llewellyn, Marley Court North and South.
    llewellyn is in Ballinter, so parished dont count for much in SCD.

Nutgrove is actually part of Churchtown/ Rathfarnham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Where exactly is Ballyboden? Ballyroan is Rathfarnham for sure

llewellyn is in Ballinter, so parished dont count for much in SCD.

Nutgrove is actually part of Churchtown/ Rathfarnham.

Llewellyn's address is Rathfarnham, and Nutgrove SC is Churchtown. West of Stonemason's Way and Nutgrove Way is Rathfarnham.

Aard wrote: »
    Llewellyn's address is Rathfarnham, and Nutgrove SC is Churchtown. West of Stonemason's Way and Nutgrove Way is Rathfarnham.

All the kids in my school from Llewellyn said that they were from ballinter, the boundary must have changed. scoil naithi is in ballinter

Yes Scoil Naithí is in Ballinteer, as is BCS. On the other side of the road though, it's Rathfarnham - i.e. Llewellyn, Marlay Court, Marley Grange, Grange Wood are all "Rathfarnham, Dublin 16".

The boundary hasn't changed - it's been like that since Llewellyn was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Synode wrote: »
    Where exactly is Ballyboden?

Between Whitechurch Road, Ballyboden Road and Taylors Lane on this old map: Ballyboden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Always get confused between Ballyboden and Ballyroan. Right beside each other

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

It's a confusing one. The placename "Rathfarnham" is used in multiple guises:

It's the name of the village
    It's the name of the townland
    It's the name of the historic ward area (I think, or at least according to the historic maps)

In the current form, it's actually quite hard to get townland borders. As far as I can tell, the easiest way is by using the above linked map which shows that there are multiple separate townlands within the ward Rathfarnham such as Butterfield, Old Orchard and Terenure!

So I'm not really sure what people mean these days when they say Rathfarnham as an area. It's lost all real meaning as we no longer use the ward boundaries for anything I think and instead we use the SDCC, DCC etc. boundaries. Speaking of Ballyroan as mentioned above - most of modern day Ballyroan as it's known is actually not in the townland Ballyroan but instead in Old Orchard and Butterfield in fact.

Lastly what it says on your postal address means little to your location. It's more about postal districts and sorting offices. Not geographical location. (Often times they are the same of course, but not necessarily).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Surely Rathfarnham is the biggest suburb on the planet stretching from dundrum to the M50 at knocklyon and from the mountains to terenure or at least thats what estate agents think. In reality Rathfarnham is a great place to live even the 'rougher areas' are only rough compared to the leafier parts but in reality are perfectly fine places especially these days. I live in Whitechurch and although there are a couple of scumbags knocking about I have never seen or heard any real trouble in the 8 or 9 years Ive been here.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Surely Rathfarnham is the biggest suburb on the planet stretching from dundrum to the M50 at knocklyon and from the mountains to terenure or at least thats what estate agents think. In reality Rathfarnham is a great place to live even the 'rougher areas' are only rough compared to the leafier parts but in reality are perfectly fine places especially these days. I live in Whitechurch and although there are a couple of scumbags knocking about I have never seen or heard any real trouble in the 8 or 9 years Ive been here.

I know some of the teachers in the national school in whitechurch and its a tough school, lots of kids whose parents don't give F***. Lots of kids with really poor attendances, mothers starting punch ups in the church at conformations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I know some of the teachers in the national school in whitechurch and its a tough school, lots of kids whose parents don't give F***. Lots of kids with really poor attendances, mothers starting punch ups in the church at conformations.

Like I said a couple of scumbags but your last sentence is probably at best one incidence which has been exaggerated and not the regular occurrence that the use of the plural twice suggests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

ollaetta wrote: »
    Between Whitechurch Road, Ballyboden Road and Taylors Lane on this old map: Ballyboden

Great map, what year is it from, I never knew there was a post office in Ballyboden, looks like its where the Ballyboden roundabout is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Great map, what year is it from, I never knew there was a post office in Ballyboden, looks like its where the Ballyboden roundabout is.

Check this out, Mapping South County Dublin in Time

The Ballyboden map showing the post office is from the Fourth Edition OS Maps (1935 - 38).

ollaetta wrote: »
    Check this out, Mapping South County Dublin in Time

The Ballyboden map showing the post office is from the Fourth Edition OS Maps (1935 - 38).

That is fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

Advertisement