Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any 83 year old ladies out there?

• 12-11-2014 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

If you were an 83 year old lady, with very poor mobility and more or less every creature comfort available, what would you like your daughter to buy you for Christmas? (Desperately seeking ideas...)

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    If you were an 83 year old lady, with very poor mobility and more or less every creature comfort available, what would you like your daughter to buy you for Christmas? (Desperately seeking ideas...)

Would some form of a chair for the stairs be an option? Are there stairs in the home to begin with? The chair would certainly ease movement up & down.

Some sort of support for the bathroom; extra handrails/support including a seat for inside the bath perhaps?

Just some suggestions that certainly helped my nan/that I remember my nan having in her home (God Rest Her)!

Hope they help,
    or lead onto another helpful suggestion maybe,
    kerry4sam

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

For the man or woman who has everything, I'd usually suggest an experience/your time. Example (if possible with mobility issues) afternoon tea together, a special lunch, a day trip to somewhere special to her that she hasn't been for a long time, a visit to other family that she wouldn't otherwise do alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

My gorgeous little Mam had mobility issues for a long time before she passed away. She had everything she needed in terms of clothes, stuff for the house etc. One of the best presents I got her was when I organised a reflexologist to call to the house for a treatment. The therapist I got even did a manicure and pedicure as well as the reflexology session. Mam felt great after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

My grandmother is the exact same. Except she is 5 years older and has no mobility issues. In short, this elderly women is sort of representative of my grandmother in that they both have what they want.

Cashmere jumper? Mobile phone (seriously the granny is never off her's)? A dog? There are slipper style boots for the house called Bedroom Athletics. They are really nice, soft, warm etc and she may like a pair, however of putting the name may be. Stuff that she doesn't need but still may like for the house? When my grandfather was getting a lot older 90+ he wanted things he could use to manage around the house, like a smaller toaster etc.

Failing those suggestions, I suggest going to Avoca on Suffolk St and buying her some quality nice sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gumgum1

Hi i looked after my eighty year old mother in law who like you said had everything i found that she loved people spending time with just relaxing watching telly. She also really loved when i soaked her feet in a foot spa and rub some cream into them. So if your mam has not got a foot spa i would suggest that. It was something nana enjoyed and it also lets you some quality time with your mam. Hope this is of some help

• Advertisement
Advertisement