Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Gaeltacht in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

junder wrote: »
    The whole belfast gealic quarter thing pretty much backs up what optional is getting at, it's meaningless, bilingual road signs and a Irish langauge center with most shops sticking with the English names, have yet to hear anybody actully speaking gealic there though although no doubt you have a friend / relative / girl(boy)friend / collague or some such who lives there and speaks it all the time

Nope, don't know anyone who lives there, though a freind of mine does, I did visit the area though, had no problem speaking Irish when I was there.
    The one thing there is a lack of in the area though is Bilingual Road Signs, thanks to the 'No Surrender' brigade who don't even want to allow people who want them to have them.

I do live in Belfast and as it happens not to far from this supposed gealic speaking area. It's nothing more then a political stunt most people living there still use English to communicate only supposed evidence of 'Irish' is a few pubs have bilingual signs up even fewer shops and FYI bilingual road signs, most republican / nationalist areas have Bilingual roads signs these days

The whole belfast gealic quarter thing pretty much backs up what optional is getting at, it's meaningless, bilingual road signs and a Irish langauge center with most shops sticking with the English names, have yet to hear anybody actully speaking gealic there though although no doubt you have a friend / relative / girl(boy)friend / collague or some such who lives there and speaks it all the time

Nope, don't know anyone who lives there, though a freind of mine does, I did visit the area though, had no problem speaking Irish when I was there.
    The one thing there is a lack of in the area though is Bilingual Road Signs, thanks to the 'No Surrender' brigade who don't even want to allow people who want them to have them.

I do live in Belfast and as it happens not to far from this supposed gealic speaking area. It's nothing more then a political stunt most people living there still use English to communicate only supposed evidence of 'Irish' is a few pubs have bilingual signs up even fewer shops and FYI bilingual road signs, most republican / nationalist areas have Bilingual roads signs these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

Why on earth would an Irish person not want to speak Irish?
    Because English is their native language and that of all their friends, family, workmates and acquaintances. Because, if they have the time to acquire a second language, they will choose one which helps them communicate with people in the rest of the world who don't speak English. Strangely, they don't insist on multilingual road signs.

People learn Irish so that they can congratulate each other on how much more Irish they are than everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Why on earth would an Irish person not want to speak Irish?

Or Latin?

Latin has traditionally been more of a culturally binding force than Irish - for Latin was the language of the Church, whilst English was the language of administration, and Irish the language of rural inhabitants (and rarely written, unlike latin and english).

Thus it stands, why on earth would an Irish person not want to speak Latin? Oh wait, the nationalists don't value it. That explains it then. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Well, I was there just after they opened the new Extention of An Culturlann, had a look at some of the tourist info, the number of events was shocking, maybe you havent looked into it, but the amount of stuff going on in Belfast through Irish is amazing, you have An Culturlann with stuff going on every day, another Irish Language family center just down the road, another Irish Language Club on the Antrim Road, and another Irish Language Center, An Droichead in south Belfast, you also have your own Irish Language Raidio Station, Theather Company, Irish Language Dance Studio, Irish Language Café etc, the Irish Language is getting so strong in Belfast that a company, GaelChursaí was reciently established to train people for the increasing number of jobs in the Irish language Sector.

No doubt the majority still use English, Most adults in the Gaeltacht Quarter never had the chance to learn Irish, but thanks to the Gaelscoils in the area, and Cholaiste Feirste, thats changing.

• Advertisement

Well, I was there just after they opened the new Extention of An Culturlann, had a look at some of the tourist info, the number of events was shocking, maybe you havent looked into it, but the amount of stuff going on in Belfast through Irish is amazing, you have An Culturlann with stuff going on every day, another Irish Language family center just down the road, another Irish Language Club on the Antrim Road, and another Irish Language Center, An Droichead in south Belfast, you also have your own Irish Language Raidio Station, Theather Company, Irish Language Dance Studio, Irish Language Café etc, the Irish Language is getting so strong in Belfast that a company, GaelChursaí was reciently established to train people for the increasing number of jobs in the Irish language Sector.

No doubt the majority still use English, Most adults in the Gaeltacht Quarter never had the chance to learn Irish, but thanks to the Gaelscoils in the area, and Cholaiste Feirste, thats changing.

Not had a chance to learn Irish? Odd that considering it's taught in most if not all CCMS schools, again like in the republic were Irish is compulsory it's still failed to catch on, odd that

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Of course it's political. They're irish nationalists who want to push away the
    rest of the UK while promoting their own sense of "Irishness" it's stupid to me but meh different votes for different folks.

Ah, Irish does not belong to the nationalists, there are some Unionists who are happy to learn/speak Irish.

Some unionists do indeed speak it, but not as a primary langauge

Not had a chance to learn Irish? Odd that considering it's taught in most if not all CCMS schools, again like in the republic were Irish is compulsory it's still failed to catch on, odd that

I am not familiar with Irish in CCMS schools, though I am guessing that they are not Gaelscoils, if not, then there is the problem, there is a massive difference between Irish being the medium of education and just learning Irish as a subject.

I am not familiar with Irish in CCMS schools, though I am guessing that they are not Gaelscoils, if not, then there is the problem, there is a massive difference between Irish being the medium of education and just learning Irish as a subject.

Irish is offered in catholic maintained primary and secondary schools you can even learn it in intergrated schools either way it speaks volumes that a langauge that's compulsory in roi schools and it still needs to have speacial areas to survive. I've seen the comments by people on this site that have been forced to learn it and the comments are not very posertive

Irish is offered in catholic maintained primary and secondary schools you can even learn it in intergrated schools either way it speaks volumes that a langauge that's compulsory in roi schools and it still needs to have speacial areas to survive. I've seen the comments by people on this site that have been forced to learn it and the comments are not very posertive

Ya, the way Irish was taught in English Medium schools was truely dire, things have gotten better over the last 7/8 years or so, but it will take 20 years before any improvement in the education system has time to filter through into the rest of society.

You could look at any thread on any topic in Politics and the comments tend not to be very positive, if positivity is what your after this aint the place, thats what Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows is for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

I am a little concerned that this is drifting into the usual deathmatch debate over the wisdom of Irish language instruction etc., whereas the topic of this thread (as I said in my previous warning) is the establishment of a Gaeltacht in Dublin (or your 'hood).

If nobody has anything else to add on the expansion of Gaeltacht regions, and/or this is going to simply turn into the same "one-or-two-posters-vs.-the-world" type threads that, frankly, we have had too many of in this forum, then I think we may be just about done here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wibbs wrote: »
    I mean the French don't have a chip on their shoulder* about those bastard Italians who influenced their romance language and killed off Gaulish by successive waves of invasion, killing and enslavement. Ditto for the Spaniards.

I was under the impression that there are fairly big populations in both countries with chips on their shoulders (perhaps that's unfair if it's justified) about others within their countries killing off their languages.

Core questions need to be answered:

What exactly is a 'network Gaeltacht'?

What procedures are used to award this status?

What are the measurable benefits and advantages of the status and how much do they cost?

Where 'network Gaeltacht' status is given, what procedures will apply to ensure that there is no fraud?

In relation to Clondalkin, does it meet the criteria?

Will non Irish speakers be permitted to use Irish speaking tills in shops in Clondalkin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Irish has not survived because of "special areas". It has and will survive because each generation passes it on to the next.

Do you take your world view from cherry-picked comments on internet forums or what you see in the world around you? If you took a proper look at the status of the language you would see a shift occurred in the latter part of the 20th century, with the increase of services available through Irish, increased demand and consequent supply of Irish medium education and basically an increase in use of the language country and island wide, the attitude of people has and is continuing to shift from the negativity of most of the 20th century.

The telling thing about this revival is that it is from the ground up, with things like TG4 and the Gaelscoileanna coming about by demand, not having just been introduced hoping people will avail of them, a true Athbheochan nua na Gaeilge.

opti0nal wrote: »
    Core questions need to be answered:

What exactly is a 'network Gaeltacht'?

What procedures are used to award this status?

What are the measurable benefits and advantages of the status and how much do they cost?

Where 'network Gaeltacht' status is given, what procedures will apply to ensure that there is no fraud?

In relation to Clondalkin, does it meet the criteria?

Will non Irish speakers be permitted to use Irish speaking tills in shops in Clondalkin?

20 Year strategy for the Irish Language
    The Government considers it appropriate that a new type of “network Gaeltacht” be recognised in the new legislation. This category will allow for targeted language planning initiatives to develop new language communities/networks outside the Gaeltacht. These will be predominantly in urban communities that have achieved a basic critical mass of community and State support for the Irish language, such as childcare facilities through Irish, gaelscoileanna, second level education through Irish, Irish language youth clubs and other services, including mother and toddler groups, Irish language religious services, etc. Specific criteria to be developed for this category will relate to public attitudes, language ability, provision of Irish-medium education and the willingness to actively participate in Irish language initiatives.

We will have to wait for the new Gaeltacht Bill to come up in the Dáil before we know what the new criteria for Gaeltacht status or Gréasán Gaeltacht status will be.

There is also the posibility that areas can become part of the existing Gaeltacht if they meat the criteria set out for them. I know that there is a group in Clare looking for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Latin has traditionally been more of a culturally binding force than Irish - for Latin was the language of the Church, whilst English was the language of administration, and Irish the language of rural inhabitants (and rarely written, unlike latin and english).
    I know this isn't directly related to the thread, but this is a commonly held belief.

Both by the nationalist crowd:
    Irish wasn't really a written language, because it's more pure and honest and down to earth, e.t.c.

And the non-nationalist crowd:
    Irish was a language spoken only by boggers and was never written down until 20th century, e.t.c.

The truth is that Irish literature is the fifth oldest Indo-European literature, consisting thousands of books, articles, poems, e.t.c. It was by no stretch of the imagination "rarely written", I mean there was literally an entire class of society who existed solely to cultivate the written word, the filid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Enkidu wrote: »
    I know this isn't directly related to the thread, but this is a commonly held belief.

Both by the nationalist crowd:
    Irish wasn't really a written language, because it's more pure and honest and down to earth, e.t.c.

And the non-nationalist crowd:
    Irish was a language spoken only by boggers and was never written down until 20th century, e.t.c.

The truth is that Irish literature is the fifth oldest Indo-European literature, consisting thousands of books, articles, poems, e.t.c. It was by no stretch of the imagination "rarely written", I mean there was literally an entire class of society who existed solely to cultivate the written word, the filid.

True but I think that the idea that Irish was rarely written down stems from the likelihood that historically, the Irish that was written was probably that of scholars and the educated. The language of the common man, vernacular Irish, was probably not written because its speakers were largely illiterate and thus, they would have no access to literature or indeed, the means to understand it. I would imagine that this is why Irish is associated with rural peasants more so than scholars and thinkers.

There is also the posibility that areas can become part of the existing Gaeltacht if they meat the criteria set out for them. I know that there is a group in Clare looking for this.
    So, numbers of Irish speakers in in area that is failing to meet its quota could be increased by adding virtual Irish speakers drawn from the 'network Gaeltachts'?

What are the benefits of being classified as a 'network Gaeltacht? Will there be any cost to the taxpayer?

No doubt the legislation will clarify how the 'Irish language tills in shops' will work.

opti0nal wrote: »
    So, numbers of Irish speakers in in area that is failing to meet its quota could be increased by adding virtual Irish speakers drawn from the 'network Gaeltachts'?

No, I dont know where that came from, but that is nothing to do with what is proposed.
    What are the benefits of being classified as a 'network Gaeltacht? Will there be any cost to the taxpayer?

Official support for language development in the area is what seems to be on offer, Gaelscoils, provision of state services in Irish in the area and the like, but we will have to wait for the Bill to be published before we know the details.
    No doubt the legislation will clarify how the 'Irish language tills in shops' will work.

I doubt it, should such a thing be provided, I would expect it to be at the discretion of the manager of the business.

Irish has not survived because of "special areas". It has and will survive because each generation passes it on to the next.

Do you take your world view from cherry-picked comments on internet forums or what you see in the world around you? If you took a proper look at the status of the language you would see a shift occurred in the latter part of the 20th century, with the increase of services available through Irish, increased demand and consequent supply of Irish medium education and basically an increase in use of the language country and island wide, the attitude of people has and is continuing to shift from the negativity of most of the 20th century.

The telling thing about this revival is that it is from the ground up, with things like TG4 and the Gaelscoileanna coming about by demand, not having just been introduced hoping people will avail of them, a true Athbheochan nua na Gaeilge.

That's just it I do take my view from the world around me of which Irish is not part of and the only evidence I see of it is the pidgin Irish spoken by the shinners at stormont and a few Irish road signs. Ironically something that both northern Ireland and the republic share is that the Irish langauge lobbyists are more interested in using Irish as a political weapon rather then real preservation of the language. I for one will never accept compulsory Irish being forced on the children of my community

• Advertisement

That's just it I do take my view from the world around me of which Irish is not part of and the only evidence I see of it is the pidgin Irish spoken by the shinners at stormont and a few Irish road signs. Ironically something that both northern Ireland and the republic share is that the Irish langauge lobbyists are more interested in using Irish as a political weapon rather then real preservation of the language. I for one will never accept compulsory Irish being forced on the children of my community

What would you count as 'real preservation of the language'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I think this is just a way for Lenster constituencies to get in on the old Gaeilge graft.
    Under the legislation, it is proposed that the Gaeltacht will in future be based on linguistic criteria instead of on geographic areas which has been the position to date.
    Forgive my naivete, but wasn't the whole point of the Gaeltacht a linguistic rather than geographical one? Does this mean that all along whether people could actually speak Irish in the Gaeltacht areas was really a secondary consideration to where they lived?
    Joe MacSuibhne has been principal of the local Irish-speaking secondary school Coláiste Chillian for the past eight years and strongly supports the idea of designating Clondalkin as a Gaeltacht area.
    “We have been looking for something like this for years. Currently, there are about 1,500 students receiving their education through Irish in the area and are, therefore, fluent in the language,” he told TheJournal.ie this morning.
    I'm not sure if this is a viable criteria for calling an area a Gaeltacht. 1,500 students receiving their education through Irish in Clondalkin constitutes just over 3% of the population, hardly enough to justify it's inclusion as a Gaeltacht.

Of course, if they are churning out 300 fluent Irish speaking graduates per year and none of these ever leave Clondalkin, then they could have an Irish speaking majority by 2090...
    ''The benefits of being designated as a Gaeltacht area would greatly help here,” continued MacSuibhne. “I think it would help us in the promotion of the language in the school, as well as the town.”
    “There are endless possibilities for the area if it is given the recognition for the number of Irish speakers here,” added MacSuibhne who has been teaching in Clondalkin for more than 20 years.
    Even simple ideas around language development could create employment for students when they graduate, according to MacSuibhne
    What he speaks of there makes sense, but it doesn't really have a lot to do with language as much as tax breaks and other government incentives.

Ultimately I just get the impression that this idea is just more of the same, but repackaged so that the Culchies no longer get all the grant money and Jackeen areas would be able to grab a piece of cáca milis as long as they can qualify under some laughably low level of language use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm not sure if this is a viable criteria for calling an area a Gaeltacht. 1,500 students receiving their education through Irish in Clondalkin constitutes just over 3% of the population, hardly enough to justify it's inclusion as a Gaeltacht.

Of course, if they are churning out 300 fluent Irish speaking graduates per year and none of these ever leave Clondalkin, then they could have an Irish speaking majority by 2090...

I'm also wondering if going to a Gaelscoil is evidence enough that someone is fluent in or uses Irish on a day-to-day basis. There is (possibly not anymore) a gaelscoil here in Dundalk and none of the people I know who went to it spoke Irish outside the classroom setting and in secondary school they certainly had no more advanced Irish than anyone else. I'm sure a half dozen to a dozen of them would be good enough to pop up on a TV show showing how Irish is being used in a depressed area blah blah blah and relies on government grants for after-school clubs etc.

That's just it I do take my view from the world around me of which Irish is not part of and the only evidence I see of it is the pidgin Irish spoken by the shinners at stormont and a few Irish road signs.
    I suppose not much Irish is spoken at your band meetings or with your army buddies then.
    When was the last time you were here. And I wonder how often you pop in here for a coffee.
    Ironically something that both northern Ireland and the republic share is that the Irish langauge lobbyists are more interested in using Irish as a political weapon rather then real preservation of the language.
    Nothing more than an assumption on your part, based no doubt on your negative view of everything Irish (to the point you can't even admit to living on the island of Ireland). When was the last time you met a group of Irish speakers or learners from Cork say, or when was your last visit to a Gaeltacht?
    How often in fact do you visit the republic, and converse with Irish speakers to make a judgement on them?
    I for one will never accept compulsory Irish being forced on the children of my community
    Good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm also wondering if going to a Gaelscoil is evidence enough that someone is fluent in or uses Irish on a day-to-day basis.
    I can't comment on this as Gaelscoils appeared mainly after I went to school. I would say that many that do claim to speak Irish are not exactly fluent, in my experience, in that on the few occasions that I have witnessed discourse in the language it's not been difficult to follow, largely because every third word appeared to be in English (and I don't mean just the nouns).

As to Clondalkin being the first of these new Gaeltacht areas, I would note that it is represented by two Fine Gael and two Labour TD's, so I reckon they've a good chance at getting the Gaeltacht money... I mean status.

I suppose not much Irish is spoken at your band meetings or with your army buddies then.
    When was the last time you were here. And I wonder how often you pop in here for a coffee.

Nothing more than an assumption on your part, based no doubt on your negative view of everything Irish (to the point you can't even admit to living on the island of Ireland). When was the last time you met a group of Irish speakers or learners from Cork say, or when was your last visit to a Gaeltacht?
    How often in fact do you visit the republic, and converse with Irish speakers to make a judgement on them?

Good for you.

I have a friend that teaches in one of the gaeltachts in donegall . As for my army buddies what can i say but faugh a ballagh ;) although as it happens i am no longer with the royal irish and have transfered to go play with tanks instead. Ah as for my band we are currently involved in a cross community partnership with various community groups in and around the area that the band is from, one of them happens to be the irish languge group from the lower ormeau road. you accuse me of making assumptions prehaps you should not be as quick to jump to them yourself

I have a friend that teaches in one of the gaeltachts in donegall . As for my army buddies what can i say but faugh a ballagh ;) although as it happens i am no longer with the royal irish and have transfered to go play with tanks instead. Ah as for my band we are currently involved in a cross community partnership with various community groups in and around the area that the band is from, one of them happens to be the irish languge group from the lower ormeau road. you accuse me of making assumptions prehaps you should not be as quick to jump to them yourself
    So you have a friend who teaches Irish, know another who is involved in a language group, yet you say the only evidence you see of the language is in Stormont and on road signs, surely these people speak Irish occasionally (though since it would be rude, not to you or probably in the environment you meet them), do both people you mention only speak Irish in Stormont and only pidgen Irish at that?

By the way Faugh a Ballagh, is about as Irish as Mercy Buckets is French.

So you have a friend who teaches Irish, know another who is involved in a language group, yet you say the only evidence you see of the language is in Stormont and on road signs, surely these people speak Irish occasionally (though since it would be rude, not to you or probably in the environment you meet them), do both people you mention only speak Irish in Stormont and only pidgen Irish at that?

By the way Faugh a Ballagh, is about as Irish as Mercy Buckets is French.

Thats just it both the guy I know who teaches irish and the Irish langauge group speak to me in thier primary langauge ie English.

Thats just it both the guy I know who teaches irish and the Irish langauge group speak to me in thier primary langauge ie English.
    Wouldn't you find it a bit odd if they spoke to you in Irish, seeing as you don't speak the language.
    I'm pretty sure even if the use of Irish was quite commonplace, they would still speak to you in English, don't you think?

By the way I wouldn't even say Slán or go raibh maith agat to someone from the loyal tradition, because I think it might be considered inappropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement