Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computing Students

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Hope these mess ups with class sizes are sorted for next week ... right pain in the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

JFlah wrote: »
    Hope these mess ups with class sizes are sorted for next week ... right pain in the ass.

And computers that work! Routing was fun :eek:

AntiRip wrote: »
    And computers that work! Routing was fun :eek:
    Yeah great craic .. be great if it's like that for the year!!!!!

Yeah great craic .. be great if it's like that for the year!!!!!

Hopefully :) so far a nice handy start to the semester. I still feel like its the holidays. Full timetable next week so back to real work I say :pac:

Hopefully :) so far a nice handy start to the semester. I still feel like its the holidays. Full timetable next week so back to real work I say :pac:
    probably be a bit busier alright but I'm liking the feel of the semester so far ..... nice mixture of modules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gbro800

I'd definitely go with this being an enjoyable semester too... instead of all that theory of last semester, we get to play around with digital audio and animation which makes if feel like a real computer course. Java module is smaller so should be less pressure and more enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the project too, its very practical and its easier than java. The ugly module this semester could be Routing C&P, there are a lot of slides in those lectures and if that last lab is anything to go by, Thursday evenings aren't going to be that much fun! C Woods hasn't sent out the schedule for the project labs yet?

gbro800 wrote: »
    I'd definitely go with this being an enjoyable semester too... instead of all that theory of last semester, we get to play around with digital audio and animation which makes if feel like a real computer course. Java module is smaller so should be less pressure and more enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the project too, its very practical and its easier than java. The ugly module this semester could be Routing C&P, there are a lot of slides in those lectures and if that last lab is anything to go by, Thursday evenings aren't going to be that much fun! C Woods hasn't sent out the schedule for the project labs yet?

I,m sure she'll have it sorted early tomorrow , it's nice to have a few enjoyable modules at last - I reckon routing will be ok too once labs are sorted and Java won,t cover a lot of new material so should be handy too. We're in for a desperate shock if it works out differently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Im only really worried about the computing project, but that's mainly because i'm not too sure how we're supposed to approach it yet. That class we had on friday wasn't of much use.

siblers wrote: »
    Im only really worried about the computing project, but that's mainly because i'm not too sure how we're supposed to approach it yet. That class we had on friday wasn't of much use.
    hopefully it's gonna be fairly logical I'm sure we'll all run into difficulties though

Critical Thinking & Innovation wtf!!!!

• Advertisement

I was hoping Critical Thinking would be opposite of Creative Thinking, as in it would be about solving logical problems and not creative airy fairy stuff... :rolleyes:

I showed our handout to a housemate who has done Creative Thinking and she said its very similar, same lecturer, same reference books even...

Her advice was to show up to all the double hour classes no matter how much you hate it, or else you won't get to fill out your journal on what you did in class which won't go down well. Also, be prepared to be asked bizarre questions in the double hour class such as if a boat was sinking and you had only two items, what would they be? Why do you think the person next to you is dressed the way they are today? :eek:

Critical Thinking & Innovation wtf!!!!

I love it! Nooooooooooooot:(

It's actually spoilt this semester for me. Was really liking it so far. It's like a self-help class. This weekly journal and "minutes", secretary, timekeeper BS, OMG.

It's absolutely ridiculous..

I love it! Nooooooooooooot:(

It's actually spoilt this semester for me. Was really liking it so far. It's like a self-help class. This weekly journal and "minutes", secretary, timekeeper BS, OMG.

It's absolutely ridiculous..

Same as definitely ruining a whole semester .... ridiculous module !

gbro800 wrote: »
    I was hoping Critical Thinking would be opposite of Creative Thinking, as in it would be about solving logical problems and not creative airy fairy stuff... :rolleyes:

I showed our handout to a housemate who has done Creative Thinking and she said its very similar, same lecturer, same reference books even...

Her advice was to show up to all the double hour classes no matter how much you hate it, or else you won't get to fill out your journal on what you did in class which won't go down well. Also, be prepared to be asked bizarre questions in the double hour class such as if a boat was sinking and you had only two items, what would they be? Why do you think the person next to you is dressed the way they are today? :eek:

I'll wear a clown suit so tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Ha ha, I told ye :D sorry :o
    ye better get lubed up so for next years entrepreneurship module.

CoderDozer wrote: »
    Ha ha, I told ye :D sorry :o
    ye better get lubed up so for next years entrepreneurship module.

Can,t wait already!!.

FFS the stupid required reading book is'nt even in the library!! and I'm F**ked if I'm forking out for it ..... according to the handout today it's VITAL !

I knew that module was gonna be a joke as soon as I saw the sideways text on the powerpoint slides. To think of all the other useful things we could have been studying. So frustrating.

FFS the stupid required reading book is'nt even in the library!! and I'm F**ked if I'm forking out for it ..... according to the handout today it's VITAL !

I've checked dozens of the usual sites and can not find it anywhere. Found the second book alright. $100 on amazon for it:eek:

Its £100+ new on Amazon and the used books are only for UK delivery... stampede at the library when/if it comes in

• Advertisement

I've checked dozens of the usual sites and can not find it anywhere. Found the second book alright. $100 on amazon for it:eek:

Yeah saw that one too , well at least we can,t read it if we can,t get it :)

What's the name of the book?

Couldn't find any pdfs or torrents for it, they can feck off if they think im gonna go buy it.

For all you hipsters out there we now have Instragram for coders

http://instacode.linology.info/

This some how makes my code look worse which I didn't think was possible.

Couldn't find any pdfs or torrents for it, they can feck off if they think im gonna go buy it.

Careful ;). That probably tells a lot for demand for this book anyway!

For all you hipsters out there we now have Instragram for coders

http://instacode.linology.info/

This some how makes my code look worse which I didn't think was possible.

That's just strange

I knew that module was gonna be a joke as soon as I saw the sideways text on the powerpoint slides. To think of all the other useful things we could have been studying. So frustrating.

Dead right ,could we not do something computing/technology related like more web design or something

That's just strange

:D

Well Facebook paid 1Billion for instagram so people could put pictures of what they are eating for dinner in their news feeds, I reckon its nice for us coders to have something similar.

I mean who wouldn't enjoy looking at my awesomely sexy java code strutting its stuff?

41785.jpg

• Advertisement

:D

Well Facebook paid 1Billion for instagram so people could put pictures of what they are eating for dinner in their news feeds, I reckon its nice for us coders to have something similar.

I mean who wouldn't enjoy looking at my awesomely sexy java code strutting its stuff?

41785.jpg

yeah the hidden beauty of code

Advertisement