Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car for sale on ebay.ie: Clocked or typo?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

considering that he's using the same pic, I think we can assume its the same bloke? not a bad way to make almost 5 grand. Prob a typo thou as its 76 down to 67? clocking back 9,000 miles would hardly be worth it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

b0bsquish wrote:
    Prob a typo thou as its 76 down to 67? clocking back 9,000 miles would hardly be worth it? :confused:

I'd have to agree. Such a minor haircut hardly seems worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The fact that the same "typo" has been made in several places is some co-incidence do ye not think?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Maybe the original 76,000 was the incorrect mileage....................?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭markymac

Why don't you ask the seller a question and find out?

Marky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

Not worth buying from those guys who bring stuff in from the UK for a profit anyway. For the most part they give dodgy used car salesmen a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

10000 (Paid) + 2100 (VRT) = 12100.

3900 profit. Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ballooba wrote:
    10000 (Paid) + 2100 (VRT) = 12100.

3900 profit. Not bad.

Only if someone is silly enough over here to pay that price for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Perhaps the reason for such a small movement in mileage is the last service in the history was at 63k.
    Cant take it back further without throwing out the history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pinkstateside

I am the infamous jasonskerries aka delboyjason aka qualityexleasecars

I have to comment, just have to.

One of the other commenters contacted me about this and was actually liablous about it, inferring I clocked the car.

I didnt, and am amused by your comments and analysis. I feel I must explain myself to all you interested parties and put you out of your misery....

Regarding the typo made. It was genuine. I originally placed the ad before I received the car from the UK. I put the ad on carzone first with the mileage at 67000, as that was I genuinely thought it was at.
    I then got the car and brought it straight to Des Darcy Honda in Swords and had it serviced and checked on the European Honda service system to ensure everything was cochure, which it was, the car has a 100000 mile warranty etc. I then put the ad on ebay and mistakinly put the mileage at 67000 when in fact it is actually 76000 with a fully stamped up book from Honda. This car was never clocked, and as soon as mr liable called me a clocker I changed the ad to what it should have been.

Tut tut tut I hear you all saying. ah well, nothing bogey here, its a good one.

Amazed by your figures though. What you guys haven't factored in to them is the cost of transporting the car from its old home to Holyhead (about 300), the cost of the ferry (over and back about 300), The cost of a service (about 200), the cost of and bits it needed, (badges, dipstick, diagnostic reset (about 200), The cost of advertising (about 150 so far), the cost of a valet (about 100) the cost of new plates when it is registered (about 40), the cost of sitting on it for anything from 1 month to 6 months (which is normal), while the car is dropping like a stone in value, this could cost anything from 1000 to 3000 depending on how quick it sells ,(already I have dropped it by 1200), the ability to negotiate and haggle the price down with a potential buyer, but most importantly the cost of financing it, storing it in your drive, listening to the missus all day...when will that thing be gone, move it and cut the grass, the neighbours must think you are a drug dealer with that Uk reg in the garden, blah de blah....suddenly, maybe the small profit that I hope to make will be worth it, what do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

With all those expences I am surprised you didn't mention anything about the tax due on your income/profits?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

My heart bleeds, why don't you edit the ads to update the correct mileage?
    These ads are all editable. Bit of misleading advertising?

So why did you bother if you are going to make "a small profit", bit of poor business there is it not for the effort involved?

Out of interest, what is the new Irish Reg and why don't you take pictures with the correct reg on it as people who see this will be put off by the UK reg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh I don't understand why you haven't edited the ads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pinkstateside

In answer to your further questions, the ads have been changed (carzone is experiencing issues though and for the last week and you cannot access the sell section, however, if anyone calls me I clearly point out the typo), the car is still Uk registered as I decided not to keep it(wife prefers her rover) and by registering it, it can take anything up to 6 weeks before the VRo send out the Irish Reg cert, plus it would be a Dublin reg, thereby alienating any country brothers out there that would prefer the car to be on their county plates (cannot sell it untill that comes), plus they only do that after you have taxed it (extra cost).

Regarding tax. The revenue permit you to register, drive, use and sell 2 cars a year before you are obliged to pay tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,773 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks for the explanation, pinkstateside

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

Regarding tax. The revenue permit you to register, drive, use and sell 2 cars a year before you are obliged to pay tax.

Where are the details of this "allowance" available from the revenue or it's website or is this just a wild guess ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

In answer to your further questions, the ads have been changed (carzone is experiencing issues though and for the last week and you cannot access the sell section, .

I have an ad on carzone.ie and just edited it.
    Only took a minute - surprisingly fast for carzone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If the car was updated today on Carzone, which is states at the bottom of the ad, then why did you not change the reg?

You can email them or would you prefer us to do that, just to let them know that they are advertising a car with the wrong mileage?

Since you have not paid the VRT you would want to update Ebay also, at is states "VRT Paid"; Also the mileage is still incorrect. You don't want anyone getting the wrong impression :)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

So how many can you buy and sell if you don't register them?

THE PRICE INDICATED HERE WILL BE THE FULL PRICE VRT PAID, FULLY REGISTERED IN IRELAND IN THE NEW OWNERS NAME AND IN THEIR COUNTY PLATES, IE, DUBLIN THE CAR WILL BE A 05D 12345...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I am the infamous jasonskerries aka delboyjason aka qualityexleasecars

I have to comment, just have to.

One of the other commenters contacted me about this and was actually liablous about it, inferring I clocked the car.

I didnt, and am amused by your comments and analysis. I feel I must explain myself to all you interested parties and put you out of your misery....

Regarding the typo made. It was genuine. I originally placed the ad before I received the car from the UK. I put the ad on carzone first with the mileage at 67000, as that was I genuinely thought it was at.
    I then got the car and brought it straight to Des Darcy Honda in Swords and had it serviced and checked on the European Honda service system to ensure everything was cochure, which it was, the car has a 100000 mile warranty etc. I then put the ad on ebay and mistakinly put the mileage at 67000 when in fact it is actually 76000 with a fully stamped up book from Honda. This car was never clocked, and as soon as mr liable called me a clocker I changed the ad to what it should have been.

Tut tut tut I hear you all saying. ah well, nothing bogey here, its a good one.

Amazed by your figures though. What you guys haven't factored in to them is the cost of transporting the car from its old home to Holyhead (about 300), the cost of the ferry (over and back about 300), The cost of a service (about 200), the cost of and bits it needed, (badges, dipstick, diagnostic reset (about 200), The cost of advertising (about 150 so far), the cost of a valet (about 100) the cost of new plates when it is registered (about 40), the cost of sitting on it for anything from 1 month to 6 months (which is normal), while the car is dropping like a stone in value, this could cost anything from 1000 to 3000 depending on how quick it sells ,(already I have dropped it by 1200), the ability to negotiate and haggle the price down with a potential buyer, but most importantly the cost of financing it, storing it in your drive, listening to the missus all day...when will that thing be gone, move it and cut the grass, the neighbours must think you are a drug dealer with that Uk reg in the garden, blah de blah....suddenly, maybe the small profit that I hope to make will be worth it, what do you think?

I have never read worse spelling.

You think people are being liablous, given that the car is cochure?

Perhaps you should spend your meagre profit on some adult literacy classes.

Furthermore, by law, are you required to register the car at the VRO within one working day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Regarding the profit margin I posted up, I knew at the time It didn't account for costs. I was being lazy. Still there is quite a decent margin there.

If your costs are as you say they are then you are after wasting a lot of money. 600 for transport? It's max 300 using a professional transport company. (There's some of the free advice you'll get if you stick around here.)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

ballooba wrote:
    Regarding the profit margin I posted up, I knew at the time It didn't account for costs. I was being lazy. Still there is quite a decent margin there.

If your costs are as you say they are then you are after wasting a lot of money. 600 for transport? It's max 300 using a professional transport company. (There's some of the free advice you'll get if you stick around here.)

Can you give me the details of the transport company that will ship the car for €300 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

ballooba wrote:

Yeah and I got a set of numberplates made up in Swords last week for €20. That's half of what you're paying. Not too far from you either.

Any chance that you could take a picture of the mileage on that car? Just to show us that the mileage has not been tampered with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Chevy RV wrote:
    Can you give me the details of the transport company that will ship the car for €300 ?
    Some info on this thread:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055127500

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Okay look it IS possibnle that this is a genuine mistake, I dont think the car was/is clocked. I believe that the seller put the lowerer mileage on the add intentionally to gain interest but that it would be obvious to any callers that there had been a mistake and the seller could drop his price accordingly to close the deal.

I have seen this before, its cheeky, but it happens !

Fair play to the OP for spotting it though !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I have never read worse spelling.

You think people are being liablous, given that the car is cochure?

Perhaps you should spend your meagre profit on some adult literacy classes.

Furthermore, by law, are you required to register the car at the VRO within one working day?

I hardly think the literacy of the OP has anything to do with this. Maybe you should go to adult debating classes if you think that's any way to win an argument. In any case, I didn't think the spelling was all that bad, a few mistakes here and there but certainly legible.
    I also think that the OP has done a more than adequate job of explaining the situation and all the would be detectives should stick to the day jobs.
    The 'holier than thou' attitude of some on here would make you sick.
    So what if he wants to make a few quid by importing and selling a few cars. I'm sure most of you do things in your daily lives to make a few quid, like go to work.
    Whether or not the OP pays tax is a matter for the revenue commissioners to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

yop wrote:
    lol pinkstateside are you seriously trying to say that you made a typo on this ad too? Looks to me as if you reduced the mileage slightly to encourage views. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I decided not to keep it (the wife prefers her rover)
    But surely with an ebay name like qualityexleasecars you were intending on selling it all along?
    I originally placed the ad before I received the car from the UK. I put the ad on carzone first with the mileage at 67000, as that was I genuinely thought it was at
    ??? The original auction which you won says: 76K MILES

Since the car was just serviced a few days before this thread, is it fair to say that the stamp in the book says 76,000, or is there a typo there too?

Advertisement