Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bag present for girlfriend

Options
  • 23-03-2013 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,
    I am thinking of getting my OH a Orla Kiely bag, similar to this, for her birthday. She normally wears normal leather bags, usually brown black or white in colour.
    Are these bags not for everyone? I think they're sort of funky looking but I'm unsure as to whether she will like it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

If she normally wear plainer bags, it's probably because that is her taste :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I use similar bags as your gf uses and to be honest I would never use a patterned bag as I rarely like them.

To get your girlfriend opinion without spilling the beans you could say a friend was asking your opinion as he is thinking of getting one for his girlfriend/sister/mother etc and as you don't know much/anything about bags you're looking for her opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Or walk through the bag dept of debenhams, arnotts, bt's etc and see which ones she strokes :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Definitely not for everyone, and IMO, very age dependent. If getting an expensive gift that I cannot choose myself, I'd definitely rather receive something plainer that I actually have a chance of using.

Dotcomdolly's idea is lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

No, these bags are not for everyone.
    I collect bags - Mulberry mainly and Gucci, Chanel, Fendi, Burberry, you name it. So I do appreciate a good bag and do prefer a plainer bag.
    I do own a few Orla Kiely's but only since I hit 30 years of age! I would have recoiled in horror had anyone bought me one in my 20's (ok that's a bit strong!!) but they are for an older person in my opinion (not saying over 30 is older!!!) and not age-appropriate for someone in their 20's. Now I have no idea what age your girlfriend is, but you are looking at ballpark €200 for an Orla K bag, perhaps a little less.
    Is go plain if I were you. Take a trip into TK Maxx, you could get her a nice Osprey bag there or sometimes they have other desirable designers.
    Guess in BT2 might offer a less expensive alternative. If you want to splash the cash I'd suggest Mulberry if she is into plain bags. You'd get a cross-over Anthony Mulberry for a few hundred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭fits

It is risky to buy her this. People love or loathe them I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I normally wear plain bags, but would happily wear a patterned bag if I liked it. However, I hate that Orla Kiely one! I think both the colours and pattern are horrible. I agree with the previous suggestions on this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

I have an Anthony mulberry bag and it is my favourite thing in the world (and I'm a mother 😜)...I agree with previous posters, Orla Kiely bags are a bit like marmite, I'd hate one and wouldn't wear one, much prefer understated bags. Walk through the bag dept of bts and see which ones she naturally gravitates towards.

Ps currently coveting a Cambridge satchel company satchel, if she's a quirky person she'll love but it's still trendy and understated. They are v reasonable IMO and if you buy it on asos you can return if she hates it. I'd love someone forever if they bought me one!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Piper101 wrote: »
    Ps currently coveting a Cambridge satchel company satchel, if she's a quirky person she'll love but it's still trendy and understated. They are v reasonable IMO and if you buy it on asos you can return if she hates it. I'd love someone forever if they bought me one!

That's the newest thing on my wishlist! I wish I knew I wanted one before my birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

Me too! I just can't decide which colour.. Decisions!

• Advertisement

They hurt my heart they're so pretty 😟

Faith wrote: »

That's the newest thing on my wishlist! I wish I knew I wanted one before my birthday!

I know!...and my birthday was only three weeks ago 😯 the cruelty!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I normally buy plain buys and to be honest if I was given an Orla Kiely bag it would probably go into a press and eventually be given away. It is really not to my taste.

They are alot of Orla Kiely bags around at the moment. Maybe if you and your girlfriend are out and you see one you could make a comment on it and see how she responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

it depends on her age really - personally I can remember when that pattern was on the wallpaper at home, so to me, I'd smile, put it away and eventually give to someone that likes Orla Kiely

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Marc by Marc Jacobs has nice leather bags. Various prices depending on size http://www.shopbop.com/marc-jacobs-handbags-black/br/v=1/2534374302121100.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

You could get her a Michael Kors handbag in brown thomas? I have a few from there and you can get some for under 200 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Bags are my only real 'girly' vice, and I hate it when other people pick them out for me. I would say I've received about 10-15 bags as gifts and I've probably used 3. I like to choose my own.

Bringing her to a store and seeing what bags she strokes is a good idea. If there's one she really loves she'll go back to it before you leave the shop. Trust me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lunafizzle

I have one of these! It's gorgeous and so well made :)

I would definitely recommend CSC - it will last her years and she will receive LOADS of compliments (trust me!!).

Otherwise, off the top of my head, I'd plug the usual suspects:
    Marc Jacobs & Michael Kors (beautiful beautiful bags).
    3.1 Philip Lim, Celine and Pauric Sweeney (very 'in' at the moment).
    Moschino and Lulu Guinness (Quirky!!)
    Mulberry and Burberry (iconic but premium prices, which is unfortunate).

I'm in my 20's and don't "buy into" Orla Kiely bags - not a fan at all (but that's my opinion, I know plenty of people who do like her prints).

Best of luck on your quest :P

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I'm not a fan of that Orla Kiely bag at all; definitely stick to similar styles to what she usually has.

Advertisement