Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who believes in Bigfoot?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Two hairs are not enough to make any conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bigbaz

maninasia wrote: »

Is that your opinion or is there contrary scientific evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Sully34 wrote: »
    Yeah but the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy have never been captured on camera

Same as an alien autopsy then,or the loch ness monster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The DNA evidence that shows the different samples taken from sighting locations hundreds of miles apart, are from a hybridized Bear that contains DNA from an extinct form of Polar Bear, & a Brown bear. It's highly likely, that this previously unknown form of Bear, is responsible for the 'Yeti' myth.

As well as the DNA evidence, the gait-test of the brown bear was also able to recreate the infamous giant footprint photo. I think Fox Mulder himself would accept, that there's a very rational {albeit still a fantastic} explanation to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Anyone going to watch the second part of this tonight? Found last weeks episode good.

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    The DNA evidence that shows the different samples taken from sighting locations hundreds of miles apart, are from a hybridized Bear that contains DNA from an extinct form of Polar Bear, & a Brown bear. It's highly likely, that this previously unknown form of Bear, is responsible for the 'Yeti' myth.

As well as the DNA evidence, the gait-test of the brown bear was also able to recreate the infamous giant footprint photo. I think Fox Mulder himself would accept, that there's a very rational {albeit still a fantastic} explanation to this one.

There are many types of hybridized bear, and the polar bear is genetically related to the brown bear anyway. The polar bear bit could be just to get some attention and hype and the hair could come from a regular brown bear in the area. Two hairs is not enough to make a conclusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_bear
    The evidence from DNA analysis is more complex. The mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) of the polar bear diverged from the brown bear, Ursus arctos, roughly 150,000 years ago.[15] Further, some clades of brown bear, as assessed by their mtDNA, are more closely related to polar bears than to other brown bears,[17] meaning that the polar bear would not be a true species according to some species concepts.[18] The mtDNA of Irish brown bears is particularly close to polar bears.[19] A comparison of the nuclear genome of polar bears with that of brown bears revealed a different pattern, the two forming genetically distinct clades that diverged approximately 603,000 years ago,[20] although the latest research is based on analysis of the complete genomes (rather than just the mitochondria or partial nuclear genomes) of polar, brown and black bears, and establishes the divergence of polar and brown bears at 4-5 million years ago.[21]

However, the two species have mated intermittently for all that time, most likely coming into contact with each other during warming periods, when polar bears were driven onto land and brown bears migrated northward. Most brown bears have about 2 percent genetic material from polar bears, but one population residing in the Alexander Archipelago has between 5 percent and 10 percent polar bear genes, indicating more frequent and recent mating.[22] Polar bears can breed with brown bears to produce fertile grizzly–polar bear hybrids,[16][23] rather than indicating that they have only recently diverged, the new evidence suggests more frequent mating has continued over a longer period of time, and thus the two bears remain genetically similar.[22] However, because neither species can survive long in the other's ecological niche, and because they have different morphology, metabolism, social and feeding behaviors, and other phenotypic characteristics, the two bears are generally classified as separate species.[24]

So until the mystical polar bear-brown bear Yeti hybrid appears, it is most likely hairs of the well known brown bear in the area that they found. I will be happy to be proven wrong.

and the polar bear is genetically related to the brown bear anyway

The polar bear they matched the DNA to is an extinct form of polar bear, not a modern day one.
    The polar bear bit could be just to get some attention and hype

:confused:
    and the hair could come from a regular brown bear in the area. Two hairs is not enough to make a conclusion

Well then the DNA tests would have said a regular brown bear wouldn't they?
    So until the mystical polar bear-brown bear Yeti hybrid appears, it is most likely hairs of the well known brown bear in the area that they found. I will be happy to be proven wrong.

Yeah you're prob right, Professor Sykes prob never thought of that.

Anyone going to watch the second part of this tonight? Found last weeks episode good.

Just watched it this evening on 4OD. Another very interesting episode, somewhat disappointing that all of the samples in this case were proven to be known animals :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I have a feeling that if any of the samples they'd collected was bigfoot or even an unknown animal we'd have heard it by now.
    Its an interesting show. These guys were all fairly upset not to be correct.

I have a feeling that if any of the samples they'd collected was bigfoot or even an unknown animal we'd have heard it by now.

Normally I'd agree, but last weeks result was really surprising I thought. Two samples taken hundreds of miles apart, showing identical results, DNA from an extinct type of Polar bear, mixed with a Brown bear. It could well be a previously unknown type of animal/bear, & yet we hadn't heard about the finding until the show aired.
    Its an interesting show. These guys were all fairly upset not to be correct.

Yeah I thought it odd that the first guy who buried his 'kill', & provided a sample would want to go through all this knowing in the end that he'd be found out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,569 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Best part is two bigfoot believers , one on each side of the forest banging tree's with logs and thinking
    '' see he's replying''

Normally I'd agree, but last weeks result was really surprising I thought. Two samples taken hundreds of miles apart, showing identical results, DNA from an extinct type of Polar bear, mixed with a Brown bear. It could well be a previously unknown type of animal/bear, & yet we hadn't heard about the finding until the show aired.

Yeah I thought it odd that the first guy who buried his 'kill', & provided a sample would want to go through all this knowing in the end that he'd be found out.

If they showed their research on the existing brown bear population and how different it is to the supposed 'polar bear hybrid' hairs that no specimen has ever been found of..then it will be more interesting. To do that they would have to take samples of brown bears from all over Nepal and Tibet.

If one read the link I provided above they would know that some brown bears are very closely related to polar bears (basically a polar bear is a subspecies of brown bear that evolved to live in the Artic and during the Ice Age..but there are also hybrid bears that would be product of mating of these subspecies), and the fact that the DNA is similar to extinct polar bears could simply mean the current brown bears in Tibet are a product of ancient matings between subspecies of brown and polar bears, of which is not surprising.

Anyway...the yeti is most likely a product of the imagination when somebody confronted these rare brown bears for the first time....a theory that is not exactly new now is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibetan_blue_bear

The Tibetan bear or Tibetan blue bear (Ursus arctos pruinosus)[1] is a subspecies of the brown bear (Ursus arctos) found in the eastern Tibetan plateau. It is also known as the Himalayan blue bear,[2] Himalayan snow bear, Tibetan brown bear, or the horse bear. In Tibetan it is known as Dom gyamuk. One of the rarest subspecies of bear in the world, the blue bear is rarely sighted in the wild. The blue bear is known in the west only through a small number of fur and bone samples. It was first classified in 1854.

I think this would be worth a read, at least he's gone out into the field for years and done his homework too.

http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/06/11/reviews/000611.11jarvist.html

Episode 3 tonight @8pm, channel 4 :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It was a good one, however the Zana story was wrapped up to quickly IMHO. Great that they found she was of sub saharan origin, however that leaves nearly as many questions. Now they hinted at it right at the end, but didn't delve further, which is where it should have gotten interesting, which I thought a pity.

We know there were Africans in the region because of the Ottoman slave trade. OK but so did the locals at the time. This raises the question why they would have seen her as a "wild woman", something very different? Also all of the reports mention her hairiness. African peoples are less hairy than Europeans and is usually tightly curled yet the descriptions say the opposite.

Most of all they had access to her son's skull and even used a tooth to get clear DNA. However the skull only showed up a couple of times and it merits much more probing IMHO. Professor Sykes did note that the skull measurements were unusual, but brilliant boffin though he is* that's not his line of work and I'm surprised they didn't get in someone from that field.

He did muse that maybe Zana might have been from a relict population of much earlier African sapiens, but it seems the DNA couldn't tell them that(if it could he'd know). The skull would be a major indicator in that. It is clearly more robust than the local average skulls. Sloping forehead, bigger eye orbits, incredibly heavy brow ridges and the structure of same is more akin to an archaic human than modern peoples that show larger brow ridges than average. The ridge runs across the entire eye socket, in moderns if present is more globular and is concentrated near the bridge of the nose. Most of all, if she was a modern African, this wouldn't fit. Africans have the least brow ridge development of modern populations. They also have smaller eye sockets compared to Europeans. IIRC the skull shows other archaic features. Again IIRC when the skull was first shown to Russian experts many years ago they concluded that it was "primitive" and more like a cromagnon type early sapiens skull. If this is a case of a relict sapiens/early migration out of Africa making it to historic times that would be amazing. Plus we have previous examples, like the various negrito populations dotted around islands in the far east who are obviously African peoples, one of the early waves of migration(not that early as they don't show archaic features).

The neandertal theory is highly unlikely for any "bigfoot" creatures that may exist. Neandertals had a culture, language, were effective big game hunters, they were noticeable in the landscape. Hell their fires would alert people to thier presence. While I'd not be too shocked to find out that they lasted to slightly more recent times than currently discovered, I really doubt they'd have lasted into anything approaching historic times.

EDIT, give that Professor Sykes has risen to the top of his field because of crazy amounts of scientific curiosity as well as brains, I'd be surprised if he leaves this skull/archaic African question up in the air.

*understatement of the year :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Here is another interesting observation of the Altai-Sayan region of Western Mongolia and Southern Russia.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22129533.800-iceage-animals-live-on-in-eurasian-mountain-range.html#.UuJZtRCwrIU
    The team discovered that the combination of mammals found together in the Altai and Sayan mountains of western Mongolia and southern Russia – such as horses, reindeer, saiga antelopes and wolverines – is similar to the ancient glacial communities. There are a few obvious differences, however, such as the lack of mammoths.

These animals do not normally live together anymore, says Pavelková Řičánková. She says the Altai-Sayan is one of the last places on Earth to retain an ice age fauna (PLoS One, doi.org/q2n).

"You've basically got a really good modern analogue for the Pleistocene communities," says John Stewart of the University of Bournemouth, UK.

The Altai-Sayan has not been fully explored, so could hold more surprises. In 2010, snails thought to have died out when the ice melted were found alive there (Journal of Biogeography, doi.org/d4vn4n).

The Altai-Sayan may also have been vital for humanity's success. The mountains are home to Denisova cave, famous for the 2010 discovery of 50,000-year-old fossils of a new kind of human, the Denisovans. Since then, Neanderthal bones, and tools crafted by Homo sapiens have also been found in the cave. This makes it the only place where we know all three hominins lived.

Who knows, there may be a few hold-outs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I watched a documentary about the Yeti recently in which they tested hair samples. The results were astounding. They actually came from a type of proto-polar bear that was thought to have died out thousands of years ago. Guess anything is possible.

I watched a documentary about the Yeti recently in which they tested hair samples. The results were astounding. They actually came from a type of proto-polar bear that was thought to have died out thousands of years ago. Guess anything is possible.

That was the BBC documentary, it was quite good but they were really relying on the Bear theory but neglected to mention that most of the sightings Bigfoot is either walking or running at high speed on 2 feet.

There was another documentary called "Yeti: the killer exists" recently. They focused on the Dyatlov Pass Incident. I found it a strange documentary very one sided for Bigfoot theory. It also seemed like it was acted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the last issue of the ASSAP magazine had a nice article on a big foot type being. Damned if I can remember what they called it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Hey folks,

A theory has been bouncing around in my head for a while,
    Unfortunately most people would think it nonsense.

What if sightings of Bigfoot type creatures are actually a paranormal manifestation of a relatively intelligent creature that died out hundreds of thousands of years ago?

This is the only way I can account for multiple sightings without physical evidence.

• Advertisement

Hey folks,

A theory has been bouncing around in my head for a while,
    Unfortunately most people would think it nonsense.

What if sightings of Bigfoot type creatures are actually a paranormal manifestation of a relatively intelligent creature that died out hundreds of thousands of years ago?

This is the only way I can account for multiple sightings without physical evidence.

I thought of that. But its kinda like using the bigfoot theory to explain werewolf sightings, which has been done.

Using something unproven to explain something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

similar to the bigfoot is an alien theory

apparently the theory goes something like this, the bigfoot creatures are used by the greys for heavy lifting and other menial work while they're here, supposedly below human level of intelligence, they do as they're commanded by the little guys. Bit far fetched i know.. but there it is

iirc i seen or heard that from the ancient aliens show, definitely one of the later series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

I think I posted before with a theory.

My theory is fairly simple,

When we " See A Bigfoot/Squatch or whatever, We are seeing a " Ghost " or an Ethereal manifestation of a creature that was here thousands of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yemowt

All this time & nobody has found a dead one, the remains of one, actually, not a single hair of one has ever been found.

Im saying no. I know the areas are really massive but still, if we were to cross paths with them so often then we're either close to them or there's loads of them. The complete lack of evidence is what gets me.

And as for that video? Masterful hoax

I have watched a few shows about teams going into forests trying to find bigfoot and there was a few teams who do find hair. There was one or two of the types of hair that was not registered to any known animal. Maybe it is just a mistake in the system or the hair is old.

I used to believe in bigfoot but I am not sure anymore.

Advertisement