Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Corsa B - Crankshaft sensor problem?

• 08-05-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, I have a 00 corsa B which has never had any problems starting before. A few days ago it started "chucking" when idle and then cut out. It will start but won't turn over. I thought it was dirty petrol but it has been suggested to me that it is a problem with the crankshaft sensor. It starts and goes no problem with a small push. Does anyone know the symptoms of this problem or how to know for sure thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

nb93 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a 00 corsa B which has never had any problems starting before. A few days ago it started "chucking" when idle and then cut out. It will start but won't turn over. I thought it was dirty petrol but it has been suggested to me that it is a problem with the crankshaft sensor. It starts and goes no problem with a small push. Does anyone know the symptoms of this problem or how to know for sure thanks :)

It'll start but won't turn over?? The other way around surely?

Anyway, it doesn't sound like a crankshaft sensor problem, although that is a common problem on the corsa(I presume its a 1.0 12v or a 1.2 16v?), a failing crankshaft sensor will cause the car to randomly cut out, usually as the engine heats up. Usually the car will restart as normal after a couple of mins.

Is the engine management light on?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nb93

Well i don't know how to describe it really, it makes all the noise of starting but just won't get that final bit :) Thought that's what turning over meant. Anyway, no there's no engine light on and when it eventually get started after a push, when its in neutral it kind of chugs and chucks every no and again. The same person said it was because the fault in the crankshaft sensor was stopping the fuel getting to the engine properly. I don't know how wrong or right they are. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

nb93 wrote: »
    Well i don't know how to describe it really, it makes all the noise of starting but just won't get that final bit :) Thought that's what turning over meant. Anyway, no there's no engine light on and when it eventually get started after a push, when its in neutral it kind of chugs and chucks every no and again. The same person said it was because the fault in the crankshaft sensor was stopping the fuel getting to the engine properly. I don't know how wrong or right they are. :)

They are very wrong for two reasons, as mentioned above the symptoms are not the same as a failing crank shaft sensor and second, the crankshaft sensor has nothing to do with the fuel getting to the engine.

If you have no light on I would be checking for any pipes/vacuum hoses etc disconnected.

On the Corsa petrol engines, the breather pipes are prone to clogging which can give serious idling issues depending on how badly blocked they are.

Advertisement