Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Live! on Iphone (how to configure the proxy settings)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

Cheers Marv, thanks for the help, i only ordered the 15mb for €10 yesterday but they said it wont be activated till the 14th so going ring up and get thme to change it over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 redmaurader

:confused:
    hi guys have been reading this with great interest since i got an unlocked iphone for a present, thing is i havent got a clue where to start and i mean not a clue, i've got an iphone and a computer and limited computer knowledge, i would be most greatful and willing to pay for someones time if they could really dumb this down for me and i mean really dumb it down step by step thanks in advance i hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

i do everything right. I think i have it cracked but it keeps saying edge is not connected. It really is doing my head in. Does it mess up settings in the phone if you keep doing it constantly without success

• Registered Users Posts: 15 marvstrav

ant043 wrote: »
    i do everything right. I think i have it cracked but it keeps saying edge is not connected. It really is doing my head in. Does it mess up settings in the phone if you keep doing it constantly without success

Dear ant043,

Don't give up... be patient, precise and thorough. Make sure you copy and paste the "required" lines for the preferences.plist in the section of your preferences.plist AFTER the text lines "ip1"

Make sure you place it EXACTLY where I illustrated above.

Check out the steps I've outlined above.

Also you will be placing the file on your iphone and saving it over your existing preferences.plist on your iphone so if you'd tried it several times... you might have a pretty screwed up preferences.plist file.

Try doing a Restore of your iPhone and then re-jailbreaking it. It only takes about 10 minutes. I did this the second time I tried and everything worked out well. Read this thread thoroughly and place the files on your iPhone precisely where stated.

The proxy.pac file goes in one place but the preferences.plist file should be place in two individual folders on your iPhone. One folder will already have an un-altered preferences.plist, the other folder most likely will not have anything.

Good luck... don't give up... it's worth a bit of work, to get this to function, believe me... the code works and vodafonelive is great when wifi is not available.

If all else fails and you feel you're better off giving up... you can sign up to O2 as a regular non-iPhone handset (maybe your old phone), then use your iphone with the appropriate settings. I have several friends who have done that and purchased the 250MB add on for €7.50.

Marv.

the main problem i seem to have getting the grasp of is how to access my iphone from my computer i think i can probably locate the files locations for the proxy settings, but how do i acces my phones files from the computer

• Advertisement

the main problem i seem to have getting the grasp of is how to access my iphone from my computer i think i can probably locate the files locations for the proxy settings, but how do i acces my phones files from the computer

Dear Redmaurader,

You'll need to read the other contributions to this thread, they are quite helpful.

If you've Jailbreaked your iphone, you have the Installer application on your iPhone.

This allows you to download loads of applications and install them. Two such applications are OpenSSH and AFPd. AFPd is a Macintosh application that creates an Apple File Protocol on your iPhone so you can access it through the finder on your Apple Mac computer. If you don't have an Apple Mac you can still do this through setting up a very basic server on your your iPhone and FTPing your files to the locations specified... again read the threads above and check out the alternative websites for transferring files to and from your iPhone. This is too off topic to really go into detail here.

A little knowledge of networking is helpful. You'll need to know that you have a stable wifi network and your computer and iphone are both connected to the same network. Also that each of the devices have ip addresses within the same network range. For Connectivity you need to have a basic server on your iphone communicating with your computer or vice versa.

For more details on OpenSSH you can check here:
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/guide/short-and-sweet-ssh-guide-for-the-iphone-300323.php

Or
    http://justanotheriphoneblog.com/wordpress/2008/04/01/how-to-connect-to-your-iphone-via-ssh/

or

http://blog.psmxy.org/pkg-info/openssh/

If this doesn't help... google OpenSSH and iphone in the same search

Good luck.

Marv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 POINTS

Folks, What settings do I need for vodafone.ie mail setup, ie Incoming server and outgoing srver etc. I'm using firmware 1.1.4 and none of the previous info seems to be working for me. Can someone please give me an idiots guide to setting it up? Thanks

thanks marv will do a restore and try again you never know. I am on 1.1.3. will i have better luck on 1.1.4 ??

dunno any advice guys about upgrading to 1.1.4 ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Thanks for the instructions. Did this on my 1.1.3 using IphoneBrowser (not too confident with SSH) and worked first time.

• Advertisement

dunno any advice guys about upgrading to 1.1.4 ??

Hi,

I'm on 1.1.4, 8GB Iphone - no problems whatsoever, other than some of the third party software hasn't been revised for 1.1.4 but that's not a big deal for me.

Marv

yep i have got it working. maps stocks work fine. any idea how to get the mail application working with it ?

Thanks for all help

yep i have got it working. maps stocks work fine. any idea how to get the mail application working with it ?

Thanks for all help

Hi Ant43,

Glad to hear you got it working!

No idea as of yet about the email packages... but I haven't really wanted to do that...

I'm happier using webmail (gmail) and getting it through Safari. This is especially true because of the slow speeds of 2.5G/Edge/GPRS whatever you want to call it.

All the best,

Marv

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Zith

Thanks for the summary marvstrav. Got my 16G up and running now.

Proud of myself coz I did it through the terminal and vi :D Now to get my Wifi fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SkinJob

Hi all,

I've trawled my way through the various threads regarding APN settings (live & isp) and the proxy.pac method and I see a lot of various views on how to get the internet working on the iPhone through our chums in vodafone.

I can get safari working through isp.vodafone.ie just fine but data charges are brutal. For example, I downloaded the "to do list" application and it cost a nice bit given its size. My ignorance in such matters is setting me up for a tasty bill at the end of the month.

Would those of you in the know recommend that I change my package to the 15/25 MB monthly package? Would this cover me for browsing/mail and application downloads such as the above using isp.vodafone.ie (without daylight robbery by vodafone naturally)? I am not a particularly heavy user of it anyway.

I am currently on the 500MB mobile internet package.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

I just used the proxy.pac method and then I can use the €9.99/500mb package you have .. works fine except for email (which isnt allowed through the live access point). I also have the 'Swirly MMS' program which work perfect for sending & receiving MMS with Vodafone.
    SkinJob wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've trawled my way through the various threads regarding APN settings (live & isp) and the proxy.pac method and I see a lot of various views on how to get the internet working on the iPhone through our chums in vodafone.

I can get safari working through isp.vodafone.ie just fine but data charges are brutal. For example, I downloaded the "to do list" application and it cost a nice bit given its size. My ignorance in such matters is setting me up for a tasty bill at the end of the month.

Would those of you in the know recommend that I change my package to the 15/25 MB monthly package? Would this cover me for browsing/mail and application downloads such as the above using isp.vodafone.ie (without daylight robbery by vodafone naturally)? I am not a particularly heavy user of it anyway.

I am currently on the 500MB mobile internet package.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KRB

Hi - I just activated my 1.1.4 iPhone for Meteor, and listed the details here: http://www.kenbenoit.net/?p=21. In short, the settings are:

APN: wap.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: wap

And proxy.pac needs to be:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
    {
    if (isInNet(myIpAddress(), “10.0.0.0″, “255.0.0.0″))
    return “PROXY 10.85.85.85:8799″;
    else
    return “DIRECT”;
    }

and preferences.plist needs to be modified as described previously (see for instance the excellent http://web.taillard.net/iphonevoda which helped me get this working).

What still does not work is mail, specifically my IMAP access to gmail through the Mail app. This works fine over WiFi but not through EGDE. I assume this is a port/proxy issue and can be fixed through a similar change to proxy.pac and preferences.plist. Anyone have any ideas here?

KRB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

KRB wrote: »
    (see for instance the excellent http://web.taillard.net/iphonevoda which helped me get this working).

Thanks, good to know it is usefull :)

Just one thing though: with Meteor you'd better use the ISP APN instead of the WAP one. This is for 2 reasons:
    1) It is cheaper. Check here: WAP is 2c per KB (€20 per MB) whereas ISP is €4.92 per MB
    2) You won't actually have to use any proxy server so your problems with mail will go away

But remember that whichever one you use it will be extremely expensive. I think I am an average user and I use about 5 MB a day ... which would be 25 euros/day with Meteor ISP if you don't have a data bundle.

I wrote the Vodafone tutorial as I first tested my iPhone with my company mobile simcard which is Vodafone, but now I am using my own one which is Meteor. I was on prepaid and I had to switch to bill pay to be able to subscribe to a data bundle (the one which give you 250MB/month for €10). It is really not a good idea to use the Internet on a regular basis if you don't do that: each single time you are opening a webpage it will cost you something like 10 cents to 1 euro depending on how big the page is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KRB

But remember that whichever one you use it will be extremely expensive. I think I am an average user and I use about 5 MB a day ... which would be 25 euros/day with Meteor ISP if you don't have a data bundle.

I wrote the Vodafone tutorial as I first tested my iPhone with my company mobile simcard which is Vodafone, but now I am using my own one which is Meteor. I was on prepaid and I had to switch to bill pay to be able to subscribe to a data bundle (the one which give you 250MB/month for €10). It is really not a good idea to use the Internet on a regular basis if you don't do that: each single time you are opening a webpage it will cost you something like 10 cents to 1 euro depending on how big the page is.

Ouch! I just realized that my limited experiments yesterday browsing a New York Times page while setting up my iPhone cost me about 8 euros! So it looks like I will be tied back to a monthly plan after all. Any recommendations?

Also what would the EDGE settings be for the "isp" option? Finally, will I need to remove the proxy settings that I set up in preferences.plist for the wap method?

Many thanks this has been super useful!

No pb :)

The ISP settings are:
    APN: isp.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: isp

The ISP APN is not enabled by default on prepaid account and you will need to call them to do that, which can somethimes be a pain. If they don't know what you are talking about tell them you want to use your phone as a modem for Internet access with your computer.

You won't need a proxy with that so you will need to undo all you rwork (sorry to tell you that :-) ). If you want to keep the option of changing it back easily you can leave it the way it is and just disable the proxy by replacing <integer>1</integer> by <integer>0</integer> in the text you added to preferences.plist.

With Meteor your cheapest option is to go for "Talk 60" and the €10 data bundle which will cost you €30/monts with 60 minutes call, 30 text messages, and 250MB data transfer included.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

finally got this working seems i had a software issue with 1.1.3 which ment my wifi signal kept dropping out and i couldn't ssh my iphone but its working excellent now.
    I downloaded swirly mms for send mms but need to set it up, does anyone know what the settings are for vodafone mmsc & the proxy settings

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭freddy99

I have been using the vodafone live proxy from above for months and have been very happy with it.
    About 4 days ago, the web applications stopped working properly. They will only download date about 10% of the time. Most of the time the safari, weather and stocks don't successfully receive data, but sometimes they do. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the behaviour.
    Does anybody else have this ptoblem ?
    I have tried a "reset network settings" and reloaded the proxy pac and preferences.plist, but that hasn't worked.
    Thanks

unbelievable i've only just got this working for over the last week and mine has gone the same way too freddy, tried everything loke yourself but no luck, anyone else, do you think maybe its vodafone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Apologies in advance if this has been answered somewhere. Has anyone managed to get Fring working over the vodafone live APN? I have no problem connecting through wifi, just get a "reconnecting" message when out and about.
    Thanks

Bob24 wrote: »
    Hey. Here is a quick tutorial I wrote on how to make it work. Based on Mac OS as I have a Mac, but but as long as you have a Windows SCP client for Windows, it also gives you and idea of what to do.

Note: the page has moved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Just so you's know Vodafone released a new broadband add on today for €29.99 per month. It is effectively the same package the 3G modem use. 5GB cap and works with isp.vodafone.ie or hs.vodafone.ie, so it'll work with the iPhone's mail program or in theory when the iPhone has 3G it should work with the skype application. No Proxy's required.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Using proxy.pac with vodafone. Anyone have a problem accessing the vodafone website? I can access using wifi but not without it! Anyone have a similar problem?

Regan

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭validis_

Mail has been working for me the past few days on the 9.99 account, I am using the live.vodafone.ie account.

Has mail started to work for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭lotas

hmmm.... i have just checked mine and i am getting imap email from gmail! working grand! SWEET! hopefully this is not a "issue" that vodafone are working on "fixing"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭validis_

I upgraded the iphone to 2.0 and I am playing with Mobileme. On first glance it does not seem to sync over the vodafone dataconnection. Email is still working fine , I used my back up from my previous 1.1.4 firmware , and that seems to have brought the roxy settings over.

Advertisement