Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repair a garmin sat nav

• 30-01-2012 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all
    anyone know where to get a Garmin nuvi 310 sat nav repaired, it's only the on/off switch thats dead,
    if I plug it into the car it comes on and works fine, when I disconnect I wait 30 seconds and it switches off, this means I cannot switch it off manually to charge it,
    I took it back to Halfords where I bought it but they couldn't help apart from asking do I want to buy a new one, which I dont as I paid for lifetime updates,
    this is only for that unit so I cannot transfer the lifetime updates to another unit
    any help greatly appreciated
    Regards
    Dlb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When did you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭darklordsbane

Thanks for the reply
    Halfords

Thanks for the reply
    Halfords
    No, like, when. As in, a date...?

Sorry my mistake 4 or 5 years ago
    Dlb

• Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It will still be charging while on and plugged in if that makes any difference? I'd say any mobile phone or gadget repair shop could have a go at it for you if it's bugging you.

• Advertisement

Sorry my mistake 4 or 5 years ago
    Dlb
    Beyond the warranty, then :/

Google says the on/off switch is soldered to the main circuit board, so it may not be an easy job :(

Thanks guys
    There is one of those Tech fixers in the square in Tallaght I will be near there today so I'll ask, thanks again
    Dlb

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Sounds to me that the battery has given up the ghost. Replace the battery first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

JOSman wrote: »
    Sounds to me that the battery has given up the ghost. Replace the battery first.

What he said ^^^^

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=Garmin+nuvi+310+battery&_sacat=0&_odkw=Garmin+nuvi+310&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

• Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Guys, I don't think the battery has much to do with it? :)

I think the problem is that he can't actually switch it off, even while it's plugged into the car dock. Basically when you have a garmin in the dock, it turns on automatically if the dock is plugged into the cigarette adaptor and the engine running. You can turn it off and a very low illuminated message will say that the unit is charging. If you take it off the dock, it counts down 30 seconds until it automatically switches off, you can click to keep it turned on. This is the only way the OP can actually turn it off, after this 30 seconds, the problem appears to be that he can't manually switch it off while in the dock to get that low illuminated charging screen. It's not a big problem if you'll only be using it in the car, but if you want to turn it on while walking about it will be. The unit will be charging while in the dock turned on anyway.

• Advertisement

Thanks again for the replies
    Cormie you are correct, I didn't know it would charge while being used in the car, I thought the battery just held the charge that was in it because when the on/off switch used to work,
    if I was using it while driving and then disconnected it to leave the car ( I always take it with me I dont need to return to a broken window and no sat nav) I used to see that the battery was still more or less where it was when I started the journey, if I switched it off manually then it would charge no problem,
    It's no huge issue as I only use it when I don't know where I'm going which is about 20 times a year it seems,
    I find in Ireland it is never fully up to date even with the latest maps but it is fabulous if in the uk or abroad (if only)
    anyway thanks again keep your suggestions coming
    Regards to all
    Dlb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

Darklordsbane
    Got an old 660 fixed http://www.fixmygarmin.com/ they are very good.

Hi Attie
    Thanks for the reply and the recommendation but that link just brings me to another boards page now yer talkin I dont know where you are trying to send me to, please post the web address or actual address and phone number
    Thanks again
    Dlb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

Hi Attie
    Thanks for the reply and the recommendation but that link just brings me to another boards page now yer talkin I dont know where you are trying to send me to, please post the web address or actual address and phone number
    Thanks again
    Dlb

DLB
    Fixed link.
    Attie

Fair play to you
    Thanks a million
    Dlb

Advertisement