Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Jay-Z...

Options
  • 15-11-2007 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Anyone listen to it yet?

Serious return to form for me, Ignorant **** has been on constant rewind since I bought the album.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

Fallen is on heavy rotation round these parts. the album in class, Puff and his Hitmen came thru with some serious heat for this long player, the horns on Roc Boys r just savage! with the exception of Hello Brooklyn every track on the album is a banger, my only prob with the album besides the fact lil wayne in on it, (can somebody please tell me what so special about this guy) it cud of done with a least one beat from Premier!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

haven't heard the album yet, but as a piece of useless trivia, with this album Jay is now joint 2nd with Elvis on the list of artists with most no.1 albums in the U.S.

yeah it his 10th no.1 album. fair play to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Besides the weak beats to Hello Brooklyn and Blue Magic, the albums pretty hard to criticse. Not that its a classic but a huge return to form.Fallin', Pray, I Know, Say Hello, Ignorant ****, American Gangster...I could go on.

Plus Jay-Z destroyed Nas for the second time on a track. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

I have been enjoying it a lot. A few og the reviews I have read have commented on the fact that he has stepped out of the role of C.E.O trying to be a rapper and got back to his roots. Could not agree more.

• Advertisement

personally I think nas has fallen off big time. His last album was awful, slot worse than kingdom come. Nas is going to have to do alot with his new album to restore my faith in him. Its a shame reply cus god son and stillmatic where nearly up there with his original opus, but then returns to middle of the road material with his last 2 albums. He needs to go back to producers
    like pete rock and premo, they'd definitly bring esco back to his matic days

TBH I haven't enjoyed a Nas album since The Lost Tapes, basically by the turn of the millenuim he was going backwards pretty quickly.

Compare his verses on tracks like 'Verbal Intercourse', 'Silent Murder' or 'Nas Is Like' to anything he has released post-The Lost Tapes, well there is just no comparison really.

Still apparently he is using the same producers for his new album as Jay-Z(plus Salaam Remi)so maybe he'll make a bit of a comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Intifadah

Mate of mine has American Gangster, I might buy it when the new Nas album comes out, interesting title for that to say the least. Hope to God it's not just a stunt to get the thing bought like HHID, solid album but not worth the hype.

EDIT: Jay using the Em line when opening on Success is grim, tune isn't up to much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Following on from Jay Ru said, this is a solid enough album but I do agree that it's in need of a bangin Premo/Timbo type beat. If there was an old school type joint or two, like 'The Game' (on Common's Finding Forever) or '99 Problems', then it would have elevated this whole album IMO. But as it stands it is definitely up there as one of the better albums to come out this year.

Btw: Why is Lil' Wayne making horrible cameos on a big releases these days? His verses on 'Hello Brooklyn' & 'Barry Bonds' (on Graduation) are absolutely awful!

Raekwon wrote: »
    Btw: Why is Lil' Wayne making horrible cameos on a big releases these days? His verses on 'Hello Brooklyn' & 'Barry Bonds' (on Graduation) are absolutely awful!

i couldn't agree more, if u ask me the guy is just awful. i can't see what the fuss is about!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Raekwon wrote: »

QFT brutal.

Its his voice really. Almost as annoying as Aesop's Rock. He has the odd nice line though (check his verse on the new Little Brother)

I wasn't overily impress with his verse there either. The latest issue of xxl has him on 3 different covers, can't see the point of it myself.

Getting back to jiggas album, although I've loved all the calabo's between timbo and hov in the past I'm glad they didn't hook up this time round. I don't think timb's current sound aid of suited this release. One producer I'd love to Jay work with is Pete Rock, for some reason I think the 2 of em would make some seriously good hip hop together

and on the subject of Nas' latest album, everytime he releases an album it always gets compared to Illmatic. For good reason to, its one of hip hop finest moments. What I don't get is why Esco doesnt go back and get those producers again. Imo Salam is a tad over rated, he has put out some good beats put I dont think he's a go to producer to help set the tone of an album. Premo, Pete Rock, or the late J.Dilla now there producers that will give u an album that cud hold up to Nas' first

Pete Rock has been hit and miss for years. I'm not sure he would contribute much to any major names album these days.

The album flows nicely as it is. Asking for a Premo beat is just greed. ;) Check out his label year round and the NYG'z album if you want to hear some dope Premo stuff.

In reality, even Premo isn't the same producer that he was in the mid 90's. Havoc, Pete Rock, Large Professor, Q-Tip all these dudes may have been supreme in 95 but they aren't anymore. The only veteran producer, besides Premo, I would look forward to hearing Nas work with is the RZA. Other then that, time to look to the new school. Put Just Blaze, Emile, The Alchemist, will.i.am, and Kanye on the boards for the new album and I might be interested.

Advertisement