Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Huawei b593s-22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Anyone know if it is possible to configure this router to run as Gb Ethernet for the LAN ports or is it only capable of 10/100? I had a look around for possible options to change to run at 1000 speeds and didn't see anything.

I noticed when transferring files between two connected devices that the transfer rate was maxing out at 11mb/s. One of the LAN cards has a light that lets you know whether the LAN connection is 1000 or 10/100. The 10/100 bulb was flashing when I connected to the router. I've tested connecting through a different device and I can get the 1000 speeds (transferring at 50 to 100 MB/second for me) so it's definitely the router that is causing the slower speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Caspero wrote: »
    Anyone know if it is possible to configure this router to run as Gb Ethernet for the LAN ports or is it only capable of 10/100? I had a look around for possible options to change to run at 1000 speeds and didn't see anything.

I noticed when transferring files between two connected devices that the transfer rate was maxing out at 11mb/s. One of the LAN cards has a light that lets you know whether the LAN connection is 1000 or 10/100. The 10/100 bulb was flashing when I connected to the router. I've tested connecting through a different device and I can get the 1000 speeds (transferring at 50 to 100 MB/second for me) so it's definitely the router that is causing the slower speeds.
    The LAN ports are 10/100 and cant be changed, thats the one big negative for this router. I just use it as the modem and have a gigabit router for my LAN.

WillyFXP wrote: »
    I just use it as the modem and have a gigabit router for my LAN.

Thanks WillyFXP. Am I right in thinking that to do that you just go to Security/DMZ and check 'enable', then add the IP address of the gigabit router in the 'host address' field?

If so, I haven't seen an option to view the addresses in the router menus, so do you just guess what the IP of the connected gigabit router is (e.g. 192.168.1.2)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Thanks WillyFXP. Am I right in thinking that to do that you just go to Security/DMZ and check 'enable', then add the IP address of the gigabit router in the 'host address' field?

If so, I haven't seen an option to view the addresses in the router menus, so do you just guess what the IP of the connected gigabit router is (e.g. 192.168.1.2)?

You can find the address by going to
    LAN -> DHCP Settings

The connected devices will be listed at the bottom with their IP addresses.

I'd recommend you add an entry for the router to the "Bundled Addresses".
    This will make sure that the router will always get the same address from the B593,
    so your DMZ settings won't be broken when the lease runs out.

Edit the Bundled Addresses list.
    When you choose "Add" you'll get a list of the connected devices and can choose from them there.
    Make a note of the adress after saving, and head back over to the DMZ page.

niallb wrote: »
    You can find the address by going to
    LAN -> DHCP Settings

The connected devices will be listed at the bottom with their IP addresses.

I'd recommend you add an entry for the router to the "Bundled Addresses".
    This will make sure that the router will always get the same address from the B593,
    so your DMZ settings won't be broken when the lease runs out.

Edit the Bundled Addresses list.
    When you choose "Add" you'll get a list of the connected devices and can choose from them there.
    Make a note of the adress after saving, and head back over to the DMZ page.

Excellent, thanks niallb!

• Advertisement

You also have to make sure that your B593s and your router have different DHCP host addresses, the B593s has 192.168.1.1 as default, so make your router 192.168.2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

can you set a monthly usage cap on this router to protect you from exceeding a bundle allowance?

Not really.
    You can set it to monitor your usage, so that you can see when you go over the limit,
    but I didn't find a way to get it to cut you off.

You also have to make sure that your B593s and your router have different DHCP host addresses, the B593s has 192.168.1.1 as default, so make your router 192.168.2.1

I'm working on setting this up over the weekend, was wondering how to configure the router behind the B593. I know the settings change by router, but I was looking for the term that I should Google so that I can figure it out for mine. Do I have to set it up as a bridge? Or something else? Any other settings I should be looking out for?

I'm working on setting this up over the weekend, was wondering how to configure the router behind the B593. I know the settings change by router, but I was looking for the term that I should Google so that I can figure it out for mine. Do I have to set it up as a bridge? Or something else? Any other settings I should be looking out for?

All you do is set it up with different DHCP addresses, you dont need to bridge it. Just make sure the second router is set in the B593s DMZ and that the B593s firewall is off.

• Advertisement

All you do is set it up with different DHCP addresses, you dont need to bridge it. Just make sure the second router is set in the B593s DMZ and that the B593s firewall is off.

Cool it's working now - I had to power cycle and reset my router (Eircom D1000 / Zytel 1000) a few times and then it worked.

The firewall in the second router (Eircom D1000) will still apply to the computers connected to it right? Or would I need to protect them using software firewalls since they're connected (albeit indirectly) to a DMZ?

Cool it's working now - I had to power cycle and reset my router (Eircom D1000 / Zytel 1000) a few times and then it worked.

The firewall in the second router (Eircom D1000) will still apply to the computers connected to it right? Or would I need to protect them using software firewalls since they're connected (albeit indirectly) to a DMZ?

The DMZ is only on the B593, so the second routers firewall will take effect. I wouldn't go without a software antivirus or firewall though, the routers firewall is pretty basic and it doesn't update.

... Do I have to set it up as a bridge? ...

Unfortunately, you can't bridge it.
    DMZ through to your router as you've done is your best option.
    If anyone knows of a firmware for this that does allow bridging, let me know!

niallb wrote: »
    Unfortunately, you can't bridge it.
    DMZ through to your router as you've done is your best option.
    If anyone knows of a firmware for this that does allow bridging, let me know!

There are none. Huawei unfortunately don't support this router very well. They tend to write branded firmware updates only for resellers like three. There have been no generic firmware releases for the B593s since 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭LiamHam82

I'm thinking of getting one of these, the price seems a bit high though at €180 from 3. I just want to know if any of ye that own it, is it worth the money?

LiamHam82 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting one of these, the price seems a bit high though at €180 from 3. I just want to know if any of ye that own it, is it worth the money?

If you cant get decent broadband from eircom or upc then these are the next best thing, that is if you have a half decent 4g signal. They are the best consumer 4G router on the market. If your put off by the price, think of it this way, 12 months line rental on it's own from eircom is €300 and thats before you add any broadband service. PM me, I'm selling a sim free B593s-22 and a poynting antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Which antenna are you selling? Just out of curiosity how you got on with it the s-22 and an antenna?

As for the device, if fixed broadband isn't an option and 4g is decent in your area, you can get these unlocked on amazon for €140 or so.

There is some second hand ones on adverts.ie from time to time also which are worth a look.

Best sim router going atm. Pair it with an antenna for a very decent conneciton.

I pay 20 quid a month for 50Gb of 4g interwebs with a 30ms ping anddownloading at 12Mb and uploading around 9Mb on 24/7 without a hitch

-=al=- wrote: »
    you can get these unlocked on amazon for €140 or so.

Can you give a link? Cheapest I can find ATM is €175 with the current exchange rate.

Which antenna are you selling? Just out of curiosity how you got on with it the s-22 and an antenna?

The same one you have. It adds around 5-6mbps on download and doubles the upload from 10mbps to 20mbps compared to the built in antenna, signal bars went from 3 to 5. The reason I'm selling is because the cables are about 1m too short to reach where the router is! It's actually cheaper to buy another antenna than to get low loss extension cables made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FingalMc

Hi folks am thinking of buying this router unlocked from Amazon.co.uk €180

I have a crappy phone line at home driving me nuts. Managed to borrow same router of a friend and was hitting 10-15mb down and 8 up on 4g three network.

Does anyone know if 3 prepay is capped?

Thanks for any advice

-=al=- wrote:
    I pay 20 quid a month for 50Gb of 4g interwebs with a 30ms ping anddownloading at 12Mb and uploading around 9Mb on 24/7 without a hitch
    whois your data provider?

• Advertisement

FingalMc wrote: »
    Hi folks am thinking of buying this router unlocked from Amazon.co.uk €180

I have a crappy phone line at home driving me nuts. Managed to borrow same router of a friend and was hitting 10-15mb down and 8 up on 4g three network.

Does anyone know if 3 prepay is capped?

Thanks for any advice

I use a three payg sim all you can eat data €20 top up every 30 days. In the last 26 days I've downloaded 180gb, so no, it's not capped.

Can you give a link? Cheapest I can find ATM is €175 with the current exchange rate.

The current exchange rate is not kind and this one is €166. That's the very one I got last year, which is slightly more with the Euro gone to crap. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-B593s-22-Unlocked-Wireless-Router/dp/B009QW3ZG4

I have the 5m antenna cable that just about fits for what I need. 10m is probably ideal but I can just about get away with the 5m! I'm curious about the antennas http://www.dipol.ie/ offer.
    FingalMc wrote:
    whois your data provider?

Meteor. They work best for me at my location so I opted for them. I am on the student plan though which gives me that offer, the closest one to it is the 24€ a month 30GB. I don't know why they don't offer more data for normal plans, it's pretty annoying tbh. Metoer offer the router for €99 with €24/30GB a month on a 6 month contract.

Three offer 60GB for €35 a month on a 12 month contact (€40 after June) and the router is €99 with that.

As for caps with 3, I've run out of data a few times with them on bill pay/prepay but it's been a couple of years since I've used them... Check the fair usage policy too

The current exchange rate is not kind and this one is €166. That's the very one I got last year, which is slightly more with the Euro gone to crap. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-B593s-22-Unlocked-Wireless-Router/dp/B009QW3ZG4

It's actually €175 mate, thats the cheapest one I could find.

Hi folks,

I have just purchased the B593s unlocked from Amazon. I've got a prepay 3 sim. Its connected but speeds are very poor I'm getting 1MB down and about 5.5MB up.

I have the router up high close to the window but not up against the window touching the glass.

I have the 3ireland.ie APN set and the country is set to Ireland.

I cannot seem to login to the Huawei web interface over wifi keep getting ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED in the browser. I can connect via my mobile Safari on the iPhone, connects fine with a network cable which is not ideal. Any ideas on this one?

On the Overview when I tap the USIM icon it says 4G can I assume its getting 4G signal, it reported it as normal once.

I bought the prepay sim from 3 this evening and came hope took router out of the box, inserted sim and turned it on. The first speed test was about 8+MB down and 12+MB up then it went to ****.

I've moved the router around the house from upstairs to downstairs etc btw it has no aerials attached.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

FingalMc wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have just purchased the B593s unlocked from Amazon. I've got a prepay 3 sim. Its connected but speeds are very poor I'm getting 1MB down and about 5.5MB up.

I have the router up high close to the window but not up against the window touching the glass.

I have the 3ireland.ie APN set and the country is set to Ireland.

I cannot seem to login to the Huawei web interface over wifi keep getting ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED in the browser. I can connect via my mobile Safari on the iPhone, connects fine with a network cable which is not ideal. Any ideas on this one?

On the Overview when I tap the USIM icon it says 4G can I assume its getting 4G signal, it reported it as normal once.

I bought the prepay sim from 3 this evening and came hope took router out of the box, inserted sim and turned it on. The first speed test was about 8+MB down and 12+MB up then it went to ****.

I've moved the router around the house from upstairs to downstairs etc btw it has no aerials attached.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Excuse me if I'm way off but have you topped up the SIM properly to get the unlimited data from 3 ?

Hi Al

Yeah I put €20 as advised in store. Chap said the sim should be up and running with 30 minute of purchase. I asked if it would be 4G enabled he said it would.

Yeah I put €20 as advised in store. Chap said the sim should be up and running with 30 minute of purchase. I asked if it would be 4G enabled he said it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭LiamHam82

Well I got it this morning, it is very good but there seems to be something rattling around in it. It was bought new from three, does anyone else unit do this

Nothing rattles, and it probably shouldn't!

When I got one from amazon, it had no power supple for some reason but they replaced it next day delivery so wasn't all bad. Annoying though!

It should be aok, I don't have the 3 apn settings on me but I'm sure you have them or got them off the three lads, I had to ask a three rep a while ago for t apn in store... She wass quite helpful too.

If you can't conect to the login page via wifi, does your computer/laptop have a fixed Ip address?

I had an issue connecting on one machine to the router login page but forget how i fixed it, I think it was an IP issue and works aok now.

How much signal are you getting? Three wasn't too great for me on the router itself but I got a few Mb each way with 1-2 bars of 4g

• Advertisement

Has anyone configured port forwarding with this router? (Al I saw you mention opening Xbox ports - have you done it?)

Reason I ask is that I'm trying to configure RDP and in the router Security/Port forwarding page, when I click 'Add item', one of the fields it requests is 'Remote port range'. I'm trying to figure out if this is just the same as the local range - e.g. 3389 for RDP, or something different.

Also, after I open the port, do I also need to create a firewall rule to allow Internet to LAN traffic? Can't find anywhere to do that, I just see the global firewall level settings.

Advertisement