Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Auditor-general's report on Motor tax

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Joe 90

girl at work drives 1.3 KA ad she complains about paying tax... :rolleyes:

made me want to give her a good wee slap, after i payed 360eu for both cars 3 month tax.
    How much is it to tax the Ka at home these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Joe 90

I'd say the opposite.

Got stopped near Ballyconnell on the way to Northern Ireland last month by the guards. They were well suss on an irish lad driving a german car but I had all answers (and paperwork to back it up) so I was on my way after a barrage of questions.

Anyhow, being near the border you'd have more folks trying to get away with driving a northern reg car without importing it properly so they're be more garda checkpoints to detect this type of stuff, one of which I had the pleasure of encountering.
    I think he was referring to the increased tax on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CiniO wrote: »
    Wait a second.
    You are saying that anyone owning a car should be automatically believed to be using it on public roads, and if he/she isn't then it's up to him/her to prove it.

Where did "not guilty unless proven" disappear.

This is not a bloody court case. :rolleyes:

The system works fine in the UK. If you dont SORN or tax your car, you get a fine issued. Very simple.

astaines wrote: »
    One of my concerns was that when the lower taxrates for more efficient cars were introdcued, they were only applied to nely registered cars. I got a Fiat Panda diesel - at the time one of the lowest carbon cars on the market, about six months before the tax change, and have got no motor tax benefit at all from it.

If you had just bought a 2litre petrol that under the new system that would be 2k a year to tax, would you have the same concerns?

It's easy to look for equality when its working in your favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I'd say the opposite.

Got stopped near Ballyconnell on the way to Northern Ireland last month by the guards. They were well suss on an irish lad driving a german car but I had all answers (and paperwork to back it up) so I was on my way after a barrage of questions.

Not many answers or documents needed to drive an irish reg car across the border and filling the car with petrol, thus avoiding the motor tax on fuel, if motor tax was incorporated into the cost of fuel here.

You probably though I was talking about avoiding motor tax as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

CiniO wrote: »
    Wait a second.
    You are saying that anyone owning a car should be automatically believed to be using it on public roads, and if he/she isn't then it's up to him/her to prove it.

Where did "not guilty unless proven" disappear.

It did not disappear, it was never there in case of taxes, Revenue always expects you to prove being innocent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement