Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brake lights in the "overtaking lane", slow lane almost empty

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

irish-stew wrote: »
    So do I slow, sit in driving lane not undertake, and basically form a rolling roadblock

That's what the law says.

In practice I dive mostly on 2-lane motorways. I pull out behind outside lane-hoggers, they usually pull in, I pass them and pull in, and then I see them pull out again in my mirrors.:rolleyes:

I only resort to overtaking on the left when i think things will get dangerous: I'm behind the hogger, someone behind me is getting impatient, someone else is approaching in the driving lane, it's a recipe for an accident. I prefer that the accident happens behind me.

I fortunately don't have to drive on the M50 much, it seems to be a complete free-for-all.

From some of the interpretations, in my sinario, from reading some of the posts I would be well entittled to stay in the driving lane and undertake, as at no point have I changed my road position or my speed to get by them.

Definitely wrong: the 3 exceptions listed in the law, where overtaking on the left is explicitly allowed, are all examples of overtaking without changing lanes or speed. Every other example of overtaking on the left without changing lanes or speed is therefore illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Definitely wrong: the 3 exceptions listed in the law, where overtaking on the left is explicitly allowed, are all examples of overtaking without changing lanes or speed. Every other example of overtaking on the left without changing lanes or speed is therefore illegal.

But in my example I have not changed lane or speed. I have been doing a consistant 100km and been in the driving lane the whole time.

:confused:

But in my example I have not changed lane or speed.

The law doesn't mention changing lane or speed. It says overtake on the right except in 3 specific cases. In your case, you are not turning left, the hogger is not turning right, and 100 kph is not slow moving traffic, so it's illegal.

And yes, passing on the left without changing lane or speed is overtaking, as the 3 exceptions prove: they are examples of overtaking as defined in law, and they don't require changing lane or speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Just keep your speed and position in the driving lane, it is the plonkers hogging the overtaking lane that are causing the issues, The ROTR are a guide to follow that assumes the majority of drivers will be law abiding and follow the keep left/return left after over taking rule. The system is flawed. So you weigh your options, which law is the most beneficial to break, hogging the overtaking lanes seems to be by the looks of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jsn.peters

you take your life in your hands if you stay in the overtaking lane abroad, they will flash at you, beep at you tailgate you to get you to move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

in romania if you do it you can smell the breath of the driver behind you they tailgate so closely.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Translation: I have no clue how a traffic charge in the District Court is actually dealt with, my legal training consists of watching two episodes of Boston Legal.

If you want to have a proper discussion then drop the stupid replies.

I was a district court clerk in dublin, before I qualified in my current profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The law doesn't mention changing lane or speed. It says overtake on the right except in 3 specific cases. In your case, you are not turning left, the hogger is not turning right, and 100 kph is not slow moving traffic, so it's illegal.

And yes, passing on the left without changing lane or speed is overtaking, as the 3 exceptions prove: they are examples of overtaking as defined in law, and they don't require changing lane or speed.

:confused::confused:

Sorry, but finding some of them posts contradicting.

So if someone is driving in the overtaking/right lane doing 80-90kph or lower, and I come along doing 100kph in the driving/left lane, they come into my view, I'm still doing 100kph in driving/left lane, they're are still doing 80-90 in the overtaking/right lane, there is still no other drivers around, can I go by in the driving/left lane legally if I still maintain the same speed and position?

So if someone is driving in the overtaking/right lane doing 80-90kph or lower, and I come along doing 100kph in the driving/left lane, they come into my view, I'm still doing 100kph in driving/left lane, they're are still doing 80-90 in the overtaking/right lane, there is still no other drivers around, can I go by in the driving/left lane legally if I still maintain the same speed and position?

No.

Look upthread, we quoted the whole law more than once.

You may ONLY overtake on the left if you are indicating to turn left, the other car is indicating to turn right, or both lanes are moving slowly.

The situation you describe does not fit any of those three exceptions.

The law does not care if you are traveling at a constant speed or staying in lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

No.

Look upthread, we quoted the whole law more than once.

You may ONLY overtake on the left if you are indicating to turn left, the other car is indicating to turn right, or both lanes are moving slowly.

The situation you describe does not fit any of those three exceptions.

The law does not care if you are traveling at a constant speed or staying in lane.
    So you either slow down to pace them? Or pull in behind them and (prompt/hope) wait until they pull back to the driving lane so you can overtake legally?
    As if our motorways and dual carriageways weren't bad enough at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sorry, but finding some of them posts contradicting.

You seem to be looking for loopholes for situations that would not be considered overtaking. However, the dictionary definition of overtaking is as simple as passing somebody by, there is no technical law definition of overtaking in the RTA, so you have to use the general definition. And as several posters have pointed out the law implies your situation is overtaking in the examples given. Overtaking doesn't have changing speed or lanes as requirements.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No

But if you had a passenger you could get them to report them for obstruction / driving without due care and attention / dangerous driving / whatever to Traffic Watch lo-call number 1890 205 805. ( you could report them yourself yourself later on when it is safe to do so )

Advertisement