Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pomegranates

hello guys, I'm looking for a bridge camera.
    The Nikon Coolpix L310 has been suggested to me but i can't see if i can use it on full manual.
    I don't want to invest in a DSLR because the camera will come traveling with me.
    so does anyone know if the Nikon Coolpix L310 can be used on full manual ?
    or any advice on a budget bridge ??
    any help much appreciated !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JuliaG

Hi,
    I have finally gathered enough money to buy a decent camera, but I don't even know where to start.
    My limit is 500 euros. It has to be a Nikon.
    I want to get something that will last me a fairly long time without me needing to update/renew it any time soon.
    I would rather invest in good lenses.
    I don't want to go into a shop straight away, as I know I'll feel pressured into buying something I won't be too clued in about, so I wanted to gather suggestions and advice from more experienced people first.
    Please and thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Would you go 2nd hand? There's a couple of half decent ones over on adverts http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/photography/digital-cameras/197/q_nikon/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hbr wrote: »
    Just about possible, but a bit unlikely. Ask where and when it was
    bought. A copy of the sales receipt would confirm the age of the camera.
    yeah; a D40 would be very unlikely to be two years old; they were originally announced in nov 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

I want to upgrade from a standard compact camera.

Is either of these particularly good value or technically better than the other, or have any major drawbacks.

I will be using them mainly for photographing family and sunsets, standard stuff.

There is only €40 differnec in price and I dont know enough to make an educated choice.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID72/25331377/c_1/1|category_root|Photography|14419436/c_2/2|14419436|Clearance+Photography|14520956/c_3/3|cat_14520956|Digital+SLR+cameras+and+lenses|25331377.htm#tabrev

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5593189/c_1/1|category_root|Photography|14419436/c_2/3|cat_19780865|Digital+SLR+cameras|25417975.htm#tabrev

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Am I seeing double?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Is the D3000 still on sale new? Wow! Nikon stopped making them over a year ago. Not one of Nikon's best efforts. I'm a Nikon shooter myself, but of the two, I'd probably buy the Panasonic, they are a decent camera and they do video as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Is the D3000 still on sale new? Wow! Nikon stopped making them over a year ago. Not one of Nikon's best efforts. I'm a Nikon shooter myself, but of the two, I'd probably buy the Panasonic, they are a decent camera and they do video as well.

i was thinking of buying the nikon 3100, cosmo can you say what was wrong with the 3000 as the 3100 is very similar, but with better video performance

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lostdesign

I have been saving for a while now and have the money to buy my first DSLR.:D Previously I have had bridge cameras but have had access to a number of DSLR's, an EOS 350D, and more recently a Nikon D90 and a Canon EOS 60D.

I have done a lot of research, read many reviews but am still undecided, what are peoples opinion of the main DSLR's in my price range as listed below? I will mainly use the camera for still photography rather then video.

I have up to 1200euro to spend but could push it a little higher for the right camera. I won't have this money again for a while so I want to make sure I get the right model.

The options are as follows:

Canon EOS 600/650D
    Canon EOS 60D

Nikon D5100
    Nikon D7000

Sony SLT-A65
    Sony SLT-A77

Pentax k-5

I will most likely end up getting the kit lense to start with and go from there. I know everyone has their preferred brands but I am still interested in hearing opinions. I am drawn to the SLT-A77 as it is new and has an OLED viewfinder but also like the D7000 but this is a little older. Obviously these are at the top end of my budget as is the 60D also.

Any help or opinons would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

lostdesign wrote: »

They're all great cameras, so it really comes down to personal preference. You say you've had a chance to use a few DSLRs, but maybe get yourself into a camera shop so you can handle all the ones on your list. If you're in Dublin, I'd say Conns would have them all (being one of the few shops in Ireland that stock Pentax and Sony, along with Canon and Nikon).

I've a Sony A77, and I love it, but I can't comment on any of the rest, as I've never even touched them.

I would note that if you're thinking about sticking with the kit lens for a while, the 16-50 2.8 that comes with the A77 is a very well regarded lens, and not what people would regard (somewhat disparagingly) as a "kit lens" in the standard sense. I bought my A77 body only, as I already have a load of lenses, but regret not getting that lens with it now. (But I obviously wouldn't chose a camera based on the lens that comes with it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

lostdesign wrote: »

Hi,

That's a very nice budget for your first Dslr!
    Some thoughts and comments:
    I also went from a bridge camera to Dslr. I annoyed people in this forum by suggesting body after body (from very old to new, all brands etc) and wanting opinions. Most replies were feel them in your hands and go with what you like.

Why spend so much on the body and use a kit lens. As pervious person said a 17-50 f2.8 has about the same reach as a kit lens but will be better for low light (constant aperture) and bokeh/blurred background for portraits.

It's a bit bigger and heavier but worth it imho.

I have the K-7 which I really like. If you want I'll sell it to you; I want to upgrade to the K-5 (for it's better ISO, low light and focusing performance).

I used to have a K-X before, when I upgraded to the K-7 I appreciated having more direct access to functions (more buttons on the body) and the top panel lcd screen

One could say start off with a more basic body but that's up to you....

I think, as others will say, all are probably good bodies. Play with them, which feels best to you. The Sony is meant to be very good from what I heard. I'd like to have a tilting back screen. I like http://www.photographyblog.com/ reviews- have conclusion, main rivals etc. The Sony A77 gets 5/5.

two things to bear in mind:
    1. If you have a few friends that have one brand maybe consider getting that too. It'll give you access to a ranges of lenses. I have a Pentax and none of my friends/colleagues have one so I can't borrow one to try it out.

2. The Pentax and Sony (I think) have in body shake reduction. For Canon and Nikon lenses with shake reduction cost more than ones without.

Good luck anyway and enjoy it!
    Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lostdesign

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Why spend so much on the body and use a kit lens. As pervious person said a 17-50 f2.8 has about the same reach as a kit lens but will be better for low light (constant aperture) and bokeh/blurred background for portraits.

Pa.

Thanks for your replies, i think i need to do a little more thinking and a bit of shopping to see what I really want. The reason I was sticking with a kit lense was because I dont know enough about lenses yet to know what is a good one to go for so I will have to educate myself.

Anyway it can wait till after my hols which start tonight, thanks for your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive bridge camera.

Going for this one at the moment
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ48

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/10542592/art/panasonic/lumix-dmc-fz48-black.html

Also when buying the SD card, there a SD, SD Extreme and SD Extreme Pro - does it matter which one I get or will they all work with the camera and give the same performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Tidyweb wrote: »

Going for this one at the moment
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ48

If you want a bridge camera, the Lumix FZ cameras are among the
    best-in-class. Good image quality and Panasonic cameras are famously
    reliable. However, they are subject to the same limitations as other
    bridge cameras. They are not ideal for low light and/or fast action.
    Like other bridge cameras in this price range, there is no hotshoe mount
    for an external flash.

ps: Argos are selling the FZ48 for €270 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The difference between cards is the speed at which they can be written to and read from. Faster cards are required for things like HD video, high speed sequential shooting and cameras with large sensors and for users shooting RAW.

A bridge camera probably doesn't need anything faster than a Class 4 card, so save your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

dinneenp wrote: »

Just to be clear, the A77's kit lens is a very well regarded 16-50mm f2.8. Weather-sealed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Hi all I'm buying a second hand D90 at the minuate I'm using a D3000 I want to know will my 50 mm Nikon lens and my sigma 70-300 auto focus with the 90?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

fox007 wrote: »
    Hi all I'm buying a second hand D90 at the minuate I'm using a D3000 I want to know will my 50 mm Nikon lens and my sigma 70-300 auto focus with the 90?

They will work just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've been considering a DSLR for quite some time, but have never made the commitment to save for one. Now I think it is excessive for my requirements...

My needs are multiple:
    1. main use - photographing building interiors, exteriors, sites & after fit-out - as I work as an interior architect
    2. hobbyist - taking some arty shots, urban landscapes close ups of interesting stuff
    3. desert off-roading - shots of the dunes/landscape, action shots of the cars/people etc
    4. holiday snaps

I bought a Sony compact a year ago, but its a bit crap & I tend to use my phone instead as the results are comparable, but not ideal for my needs.

I am now considering a compact, namely a Pentax Q, with interchangeable lenses.

• is it a good option
    • what other cameras could you suggest?

This particular camera comes with 5 lens options at the moment. I can get it with the standard lens or the zoom lens direct from amazon/pixmania.

My thoughts are to go with the zoom lens for regular use/landscapes/arty/holiday shots and the fish eye lens for interior shots - as I often find I cannot get enough of the room into a shot.

• is this a sensible approach or can you recommend a better option

here is a link to the camera:
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/hybrid/Q_Black#!product-support

here are links to both of the lenses:
    zoom - http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/PENTAX_02_Standard_Zoom_Lens_for_Q-Series_Cameras
    fish eye - http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/PENTAX_03_Fish-Eye_Lens_for_Q-Series_Cameras

standard - http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/PENTAX_01_Standard_Prime_Lens_for_Q-Series_Cameras

• I would appreciate advice on whether this is a suitable setup for me
    • should I go for a different lens combination
    • is this the wrong camera/should I look at a different type of camera altogether

This is the top end of my budget. Compact size is also a factor as I will need to travel with it quite a bit & with will need to fit in my satchel/school bag with all my other work gear.

Some advice on the lenses would be appreciated... Is it worth getting the zoom for the type of photography I want to do, or should I just stick with the standard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Architectural photography, particularly interiors, tends to require lenses with a very wide field of view (short focal length).

IMO none of the available lenses for the Pentax Q are suitable, as they don't go wide enough - IMO. (76º being the widest, I believe)

If you want something compact for travel etc, I would suggest looking at the Micro 4/3 system, for which there is a much wider range of lenses available.

I have a 12-50mm zoom in M4/3 which has a field of view of 84º at the wide end and I would suggest you look for a lens with at least that sort of field of view as a minimum. In the m4/3 system there are 7-14mm and 9-18mm zooms and faster fixed focal length lenses from 8mm on.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lense.html

If your ineriors are dim, you will want faster lenses and/or inbuilt Image stabilisation such as the Olympus E-M5 has, which works as as if magic is involved.

For critical Architectural photography you will might want a wide angle shift lens which can correct for perspective distortion, but that's another topic and price league.

Thanks cnocbui, that's fairly comprehensive, I'll start looking into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

@Bluefoam-
    For archeticture a true wide angle lens makes the world of difference.
    Take a look to see the comarison at photos taken at 10mm (or thereabouts) comapred to 17mm (or thereabouts), massive difference

link

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

I already put this post on the bargins request section but got no response, so I thought I ask the people who are in the know!

Looking to buy either a Canon 7D or Canon 5d Mark II .... Does anyone know who is selling them at the cheapest price at the mo

This is the cheapest I could find so far...
    http://www.flashcamera.co.uk/canon-e...6-is-lens-kit/

http://www.flashcamera.co.uk/canon-e...l-camera-body/

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

car wrote: »
    I already put this post on the bargins request section but got no response, so I thought I ask the people who are in the know!

Looking to buy either a Canon 7D or Canon 5d Mark II .... Does anyone know who is selling them at the cheapest price at the mo

This is the cheapest I could find so far...
    http://www.flashcamera.co.uk/canon-e...6-is-lens-kit/

http://www.flashcamera.co.uk/canon-e...l-camera-body/

These links are dead.
    By the way, these bodies are totally different.
    You can get 7d for circa €1000, but you'll have to pay €1500 for 5d mark ii.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

Ah feck, the links were working yesterday when I posted them, Yeah I know they are different bodies, I have a 400d and a 40D and trying to still make my mind up on which one I wanted to buy, The cheapest 7D I can find is coming in around €1300 and the cheapest 5D Mark II is coming in is €1850 these are just prices for bodies only from Flash Camera's in Scotland. I have ordered my 24-70 2.8F L series lens off this shop before.

Sebphoto - Where have you see the cameras for the prices you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

@car pm sent

car wrote: »
    Ah feck, the links were working yesterday when I posted them, Yeah I know they are different bodies, I have a 400d and a 40D and trying to still make my mind up on which one I wanted to buy

If I were you, i'd keep 40d and sell 400d, save some money and get 5d mk2. Do you need video option? If not then why you won't take into consideration classic 5d? Full frame will give you new approach and if you have EF lenses, they'll give you new point of view. Rest money invest in lenses.
    It's just my opinion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

hi guys looking for a camcorder for recording wild life must be hd and have a zoom that will pic up animals up to 400 yards at least .

would like something in panosonic so any recomadations would be great

regards triggerpl

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭diverdad

Hi,
    I'm heading off soon and hitting a lot of different destinations. Lots of photo opertunities will present themselves.
    Until now I've been happy enough to snap away with a little 3.5m instamatic.
    However this being a one off trip, a trip of a lifetime, I'd like to try and preserve some of it and share some good images with others.

I do have an okay 'eye' with the instamatic and will be taking it with me as it will be going underwater with me. A whole different branch of photography requiring a different set of skills and starting to get some good results there.

What I'm looking for is a robust, idiot proof camera with a decent zoom. A few bells and whistles might be nice but I won't have the time between now and the end of the month to play with it too much.

I'm not 'into' photography, beyond looking and admiring other peoples images. I'm not looking for a camera which will make me a better photographer, rather I'm looking for a camera which could 'enhance' my limited abilities. A good tool to do a slightly better job as it were.

I don't posess software to alter images, not looking for a tripod or a lens a yard long. Looking for a decent camera not a super-duper camera.

Any recommendations anybody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

Tell us what your budget is

Advertisement