Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anybody had any dealings with Onwave?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 blither

bealtine wrote: »
    The only way to "solve" it is to go to a broadband provider

Choice of such is severely limited over large parts of Ireland. Cheers, though, for the "helpful" advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ger13

Hi Guys
    I also have a package through 3 which Onwave installed. I can't get an answer from them on my usage or what kind of Time window I am in, So I have no Idea what I am using each month. Under the terms of the 3 contract and European and Irish law the NBS and so £ and so Onwave must give me 11Gb a month. I have installed Network monitors on my pc and I am not using anything like that. My Connection slows way down every now and then and I am disconnected also. I notice that Onwave are regulated by ComReg and TIF. I think it's time to make some noise above these clowns.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Western Cruiser

sdaniel wrote: »
    I got Onwave installed in January with the 10 unlimited plan. I didn't actually use it much until around the end of March. I was very pleased with it. For a while. Then it slowed to a crawl. I had supposedly exceeded my limit and had gone into the FAP speed. The tables on the website say my plan is supposed to have 25G before it goes into what they deceptively refer to as 1M speed, but the representative never addressed that question. In fact he never actually answers any real question I have. He gave me a link to two places where I can check the speed and he is completely satisfied with the test results. He tells me it will be back up again by 6 June. -- It's not that I think I should have unlimited speed all the time. It's that these people have never been clear with me about anything. I don't know if they are unable to communicate, or if they are dishonest. Certainly I am unhappy with the service. Where I lived before I had a simple eircom broadband package for half the price of this one, and it never, ever slowed to this kind of crawl. I have to have satellite where I live now. I will be looking for a better company to change to, if there is one. [In addition, I opted to have a VOIP phone. So I do. But I never got any instructions about how to use that number. Goodness knows what would have happened to my home phone had I opted to change to the VOIP phone as my primary number.] I advise Great Caution in dealing with this company.

I'd have to strongly agree with the above poster.

We are based in the West of Ireland and had no other real option other than satellite which we assumed would provide at least an adequate level of broadband.

How wrong we were.

Istallation late last year was undertaken by two guys who were good at mounting dishes on walls but were very unsure as to how to connect everything up. Some 8 months after "switching" to Onwave, our telephone number has still not been ported across meaning that Onwave are charging us for a phone service still provided by Eircom and being paid for by us on the double. I have sent the required documentation to Onwave now on 3 seperate occasions but when I ring to complain they just ask me to resend it!:mad:

Our real gripe however is with their so called acceptable usage policy.

We are two adults and two young children in our rural house. I work away from home from Sunday evening until Friday night and my wife is at work away from home during the day. The house is emty during the day. Our kids are young and are therefore not into Youtube or other bandwidth intensive sites. We don't download movies or anything like that. We just use the internet for emails and general web browsing.

Despite this, we are generally operating on just dial up speeds as Onwave claim that we are exceeding or 10Gb / month limit. I would be our heaviest internet user and use the 1 Gb limit on my Iphone to power my laptop each evening while away from home during the week. I have never come close to my 1 Gb limit on my iphone data package fro O2. Both of our Laptops have been professionally checked to ensure that there was no unauthorised file sharing, P to P or other malicious software such as Bit Torrent etc. hijacking our broadband. There is no possibility of a neighbour hijacking our wifi as the nearest neighbour is over 100 M away well outside wifi range.

Despite our relatively low family usage, we have been regularly in excess of our Onwave 10 Gb limit for most of the last 10 months meaning that we now have no effective broadband in the house. We have just returned from a two week holiday abroad where the broadband wifi modem was turned off at the mains and no one entered our house while away - to find that we were in excess of our 10 Gb limit when we reconnected on the night we returned home. All other potential draws (Wifi printer, Sky box, Phone etc were also all turned off at the mains while we were away, so how come our limit stayed in excess of 10 Gb while we were away for two weeks?

I have tried talking to Onwave but they decline to engage. Their online usage monitor is useless as it only shows how much you have used in the last month as a single figure. In our case this is just a graphic saying 100% usage, which of course is useless in trying to obtain a break down of usage by day of the week and hour of the day etc.

As Onwave have declined to entertain or investigate my honest and genuine complaint, I have now lodged a formal complaint about Onwave with ComReg. Onwave insist that they will seek heavy financial penalties if I attempt to walk away from our 24 month contract.

It's a nightmare!

We are no back to using WiFi hotspots from our iphones to provide internet access in our home.

My advice? Avoid Onwave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Western Cruiser

Ger13 wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    I also have a package through 3 which Onwave installed. I can't get an answer from them on my usage or what kind of Time window I am in, So I have no Idea what I am using each month. Under the terms of the 3 contract and European and Irish law the NBS and so £ and so Onwave must give me 11Gb a month. I have installed Network monitors on my pc and I am not using anything like that. My Connection slows way down every now and then and I am disconnected also. I notice that Onwave are regulated by ComReg and TIF. I think it's time to make some noise above these clowns.....

Hi Ger,

Can you give me some info on the network monitor that you installed?

Kind regards,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Onwave never delivered the 11GB cap ( 10 down and 1 up) specified by the department for the NBS. Can anyone getting the Digiweb Tooway confirm whether.

1. Digiweb are supplyying 11Gb or only 10Gb total in breach of NBS terms???
    2. Whether Digiweb NBS Satellite customers can get their usage stats???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RDL

Our business used to be with them. They wanted 100 to take the dish down and 100 to put it back up when we moved property, about 200 feet. Be warned, when contract is up, if you do not return dish, modems, they will charge you about 350 before VAT. They kept misspelling (oops) our company name and address. It took 3 months to get the spelling fixed. The internet service was good only sometimes. The phone service had a delay on the line. And it was a total rip off. 120 euros a month for 50 gigs, versus 24 per month with Eircom fibre service, which is twice as fast. We did not have this option until recently. They are dropping their rates as they can no longer hold consumers hostage as the only service providers of high speed internet in particular areas. Avoid them at all cost. Amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mart1977

Do Not Go Near Onwave

Incredibly expensive
    Every hour if you exceed a certain amount of your download you are reduced to about 4kbps until the following hour

You can use your monthly allowance in a day by your computer updating itself or your smartphone etc

24 month contract. Massive fine when you realise you've made a mistake and want out

Delay on the phone line like your calling the moon instead of a local number.

Terrible support

A big ugly satellite dish on your house

My contract is done in January 2014. I'm going to try Three Ireland which seems to have good coverage in my area and I'm generally very happy with them

• Registered Users Posts: 13 UltanMolloy

You were right to stay away from them... disaster of a "service" from onwave with speeds so slow i've to disconnect and tether to my phone to get a browser to load!
    Tech support suggest to use it off peak... and that they're not responsible for the satellite service... !?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 UltanMolloy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

Why in the lords name have you bumped so many Onwave threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Scotthayden

We use fastsat which are very good. Being in a rural part of Wexford this is the only choice for us but a good one. Satellite broadband is the only option for us and I think anyone that is rural will have this option. Just type in fastsat satellite broadband into google and you can get there details

Advertisement