Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CV boot tale

Options
  • 29-03-2015 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Anybody got experience of the 'life' of Bailcast split CV boots ?

NCT said CV boot leaking so..... DIY or Garage ? Decided DIY ('save c200 yo-yo's and all the time of taking off hub etc ), first time to do CV in 40 years of DIY.

Bailcast split CV boot http://www.bailcast.com/products/duraboot was offered as 'easy' route so jacked up, snipped the old clips, (no going back now - SH1T :P ) and cut off the old boot.

Cut new boot to dims. as instructed and glued/vulcanised as instructions.Put new grease in and fitted up Putting on new clamps (borrowed special tool http://www.bailcast.com/products/fitting-tools/ecp1-ear-clamp-plier-use-mc-ties-355g ) I'd cut the large part of the boot without leaving a small 'lip' to hold the clamp in place so boot 'oozed' at one point,:eek: so order one more boot and do it 'right' this time :o

Passed NCT but still worried that split boot might leak, so lesson learned after time (= €'s because I work for myself ) spent etc etc is JUST GO TO A BLOODY GARAGE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

( Speaking of getting a good CV boot - tried the Quinton Hazell / Blueprint websites to get catalog information about correct boot/similar size boot but ZERO on their websites - I suppose motor factors have a big catalog but it's handy to check on-line first )

( I shoulda learned that lesson years ago - changing plugs on a V8 Merc (16 plugs :eek: ) to save €700 (?), plug snaps in head, tow to dealer and fix = €1300 :o:o:o:o )

Time to buy a new car with an 8 year warranty ;) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

I used a Bailcast on the inner joint of a Galaxy a few months ago as there was no other option .
    I didn't like to as I never had much faith in them .
    I had the shaft out on the bench so everything in 'my favour'.
    It passed the test but was in fact oozing a little at one point - cleaned it off just before car went in;) .
    Owner told me there were a few looking at it in the centre:( - but they passed it anyway .
    This was on an inner joint which doesn't move much anyway - on an outer oint there would be much more movement .
    Will see how it goes - still don't have much faith in them .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Haven't used the 2-part boots. but i have used the 'stretch' cv boots where you pull it over the cv joint with a big plastic cone to help. It's a bit like being born again....!!!! but they work very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Replaced CV boot recently using the SPLIT TYPE CV boot.

It did the job fine but fcuk me, getting the smaller dimension end to wrap around the driveshaft, while waiting for glue to set, was hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Replaced CV boot recently using the SPLIT TYPE CV boot.

It did the job fine but fcuk me, getting the smaller dimension end to wrap around the driveshaft, while waiting for glue to set, was hardship.

Thats the one, I think second time I started with the big end vulcanising and worked towards the small end - but I needed to cut back to the second ring at the small end as it was too small to fit over the shaft, at the big end I had to cut back as well BUT LEFT A LIP OF 1cm TO MAKE SURE THE RING DIDN'T SLIP OFF AS I WAS CRIMPING IT .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Put a split boot for the nct last augaust as I was too mean to spend near 20 quid on a socket for the driveshaft nut.

The dimesions werent exact so it was slightly too big on the shaft end. It oozed out there and along the glued bit. It takes just as long as fitting a proper one and you'd really want it off the car to fit it properly.

Will have a look and see what it's like now. Got me through the test back in october and I put it out of my mind then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Just a tip for anyone trying a split boot install, wrap the cv joint and shaft with cling film before putting the new one anywhere near it.
    You remove cling film after gluing cutting just before clamping.

Keeps all the grease away from split / hands / glue etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

remove cling film after gluing cutting just before clamping.

After I took the old one off, I measured up the openings at both ends of the old one and then cut the new one BEFORE fitting and applying bonding solution ( I call it 'bonding solution' because I think the chemical reaction is different to mere 'glue' :confused: ). IMO cutting it after bonding MIGHT weaken the bond before it's had time to work ??

I think PREPARATION,complete CLEANINESS, and TIME are the secrets ;)

(Another boot I saw online was Hippored , it looks like a stronger fit together than Bailcast , but can't find Irish distributors
    http://www.hippored.com/?page_id=1344&lang=en )

Advertisement