Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aftermarket Radio Power and Ignition

• 28-03-2015 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I have had a Sony after-market radio in the car for years, wired up as per instructions so it would switch off with when the key is taken out.

Last night, I had to pull the radio out to get an audio cable for something else. When I put it back in, the radio would not switch on. I thought I had pulled one of the special cables out so I connected two red ones together. The result is that the radio would switch on and off regardless of the ignition state.

Does this mean that the radio is currently wired into the constant 12v and that the ignition on 12v is disconnected/broken?

I need to dive further into the wiring but in the few mins I had; the only thing to connect that was obviously not connected were those two red cables.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There would be 2 cables with bullet connectors on them. The colours wouldn't necessarily be matched together.

You may have blown the fuse for the acc live, and connecting the permanent live instead made the radio come on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

That seems to be what I have done. What confuses me is that pulling the 25 amp radio fuse will kill the radio, which can only work with what seems to be the permanent 12v feed plugged in.

I will attack it tomorrow, as I think the acc feed cable is lost behind the dash as there should be a two cables (one red, one yellow) coming from my VW to Sony loom adaptor to correspond or get reversed with one red and one yellow cable coming from the head unit itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

Two fuses for the radio. :pac:

Advertisement