Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UL 1st years 2015/2016

• 01-03-2015 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Many of ye have On campus accommodation booked for UL? If so, where? I got cappavilla myself ! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

Well I was trying all week and I saw lastnight that admissions are now closed:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I did want cappavilla but to be honest I'm put off even going to UL now

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Southwestgirl

tr0llface wrote: »
    Well I was trying all week and I saw lastnight that admissions are now closed:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I did want cappavilla but to be honest I'm put off even going to UL now

Have you rang them and asked to be put on a waiting list? You might get accommodation there when the offers come out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Have you checked out campus accom?
    Cappa's probably one of best and quietest but not a place you see many first years going. That said, if you're doing something sciencey or medically, think I saw somewhere you were trying for nursing, then it's a decent spot..
    Mostly 4th years though I think.
    A walk if you've a class over the living bridge every day or inbetween classes.
    Had that in my first year..

In regards to chap that missed out, I'd take it as an opportunity. I haven't stayed on campus in my 4 years there and won't for my 5th.
    Off campus is cheaper and think you've a lot more freedom. If you wanted to go to a student village though, there should be a few in the vicinity off campus that aren't full. Check out Groody, Brookfield and one across form Groody, think it's called 'something' Park or Park 'something' if you check out google maps you'll see :P
    Alternatively I went straight into digs, cheaper, forced to become independent and have to be responsible enough to attend uni on your own accord. Not all lectures or mandatory but you'll realise if you start to skip them more frequently, you'll understand the ones you do attend less.
    Not right person to be talking about skipping lectures, just recommend you don't unless you're comfortable you can catch up or you're ill.

Wouldn't pull plug on UL yet though, modern college, decent facilities, nice ambiance, generally decent lecturers. Don't let not getting campus accom be the reason you don't come :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

tr0llface wrote: »

Put off UL because admission closed early?
    That's a pretty poor excuse to not go to a university that has been voted best in Ireland and which has countless things to offer someone.

Admissions close, it happens but people can STILL get accommodation by calling the office and getting put on the waiting list. When offers roll around, a lot will not get places and therefore, you'll be there on the waiting list to take one of their positions.

Cappavilla is nice and all but so expensive. Think of the money you'll get to have for your freshers week of drinking, going to all of the events, etc.
    Security can also be strict on campus and deposits are hard to get back in full.

I'd say look at College Court, Groody, Troy, Elm and Briarfield.
    It depends how quiet you want your place but I put a mix of them there.

In all seriousness now though, don't get angry because you missed admissions. If you get put off by that, then UL won't be the Uni for you anyway. That attitude won't be welcomed in most universities, let alone UL so just stay calm, things always happen for a reason and this is just going to save you money :)

Exactly as I saw it, a blessing in disguise.
    Unless you're going to be spending all of your time in Health Science buildings or Irish/Dancing building then I fear Cappa is a luxury many a first year can't afford, or rather, shouldn't afford.
    So much more you could spend saved pennies on, maybe booze, maybe coffee... I spent mine on coffee.
    My advice is find somewhere that does nice coffee and make it your home.
    Or like me, go to library cos it's cheap and I'm too lazy to leave it and get good coffee.
    Heads up:
    Kemmy Business School - Java Café - Expensive coffee for what it is, sometimes decent deal on food though.
    Main Building - Up steps from ski slope and to your left I forgotten name of it but I remember the colour green.. Not Eden is it?
    Average coffee. Okay price. More of a restaurant to be fair.
    Main Building - Starbucks - You get what you pay for. Decent coffee, expensive, but get a much broader option.
    PESS building - The one restaurant I believe. Nice coffee, had a cappuccino once and saw Wnolan lounging around. He told me he got changed between classes but I'm sceptical. Good coffee though and not extremely expensive.
    Health Science Building - One as soon as you go in the door. Remember it being a little expensive but being 3 years ago, I don't remember taste, which means it wasn't mind blowingly good and it wasn't repulsive.
    Spar - Medium priced, usually only got it for accompanying pastry when it was good. Nice muffins. Standard machine coffee.
    Library - My haven. Not because of the quality. It is just pressed coffee. Sometimes a lottery. Usually standard, sometimes it tastes like ash, but sometimes you get that perfect cup to lift the spirits and stamina.
    Being in the library, it's never too far away and always able to top up in a hurry. Perfect location with occasional perfect cup of Joe :D
    Stables - Same as Spar, cheapish and not too great.
    Javas/Scholars - Another stop where you can get a decent cup of Joseph and every 5th coffee is free I believe, if you keep a card with you.

Here, you should come to UL for coffee alone. Tea is tea, unless you pi$s about with different coloured stuff, green, yellow, red, mint, meh.. tea is tea. Coffee, well you'll come to know that one coffee is not all coffee. May not agree with my suggestions, but thats the beauty of coffee, like snowflakes, no two are the same.. :P

• Advertisement

I only got cappa because every other village was booked out! Thinking of ringing admissions office to ask if they can put me on a waiting list for somewhere else! Personally I'm a sociable person and likes the aul party, but I like my comfort too! Dromroe is looking appealing! Have ye heard what dromroe is like first years? 😄 I've heard plassey is the best for parties but it's a long walk to the health sciences building

I only got cappa because every other village was booked out! Thinking of ringing admissions office to ask if they can put me on a waiting list for somewhere else! Personally I'm a sociable person and likes the aul party, but I like my comfort too! Dromroe is looking appealing! Have ye heard what dromroe is like first years? 😄 I've heard plassey is the best for parties but it's a long walk to the health sciences building

Ps. Like many, I'm depending on the grant to pay for accommodation!

Jesus Christ, depending on the grant.. like living on the edge?
    My advice would be to have a plan B, especially if this is your first time.
    My first year I got my grant in May, and it was only the half grant and when I went to appeal they cut off all communication.
    Switched course for second year so never got grant then.
    Went back for third year (2nd year current course) and there was over 100 emails sent before they conceded and awarded full grant in February.
    This year I got first part of grant instalment in November, but was half grant again and been difficult to appeal cos I've been abroad.
    I've cut years off my life arguing with SUSI.
    Always been eligible for full grant and got it once, half grant twice and always delayed, except this year where they decided early on I wasn't eligible for full grant because my sister turned 16 or something..
    My head is wrecked with them..
    To be safe, I'd have money put away until Christmas for accom, I've taken a loan out every year for it and needed it every time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'd have to agree with the lads here. I've lived on campus for my 5 years here (god bless the grant and a course that means I go out about once a year....) and, to be brutally honest, on campus offers very little that you can't get off campus.

The Benefits to On-Campus (As I See Them)
    - Close to college.
    - Relatively hassle free. All your bills are paid up front, no worrying.
    - Excellent (mostly) internet because you're on UL's network.
    - As a first year, I loved that I was put n with all first years. We were all in the same boat, easy way to make friends.
    - Safety. 24 hour security just a phone call away. Break-in's an extreme rarity (there's been one break-in that I've heard of in the 5 villages in the 5 years I've been here (possible I just haven't heard, but it's still extremely rare))

The Counter Arguments (i.e. Why You Shouldn't Let Not Getting On Campus Accommodation Deter You From Studying in UL)
    - Cheaper. Much, much cheaper. For Dromroe, Cappa and Thomond, you're in the region of €120 a week in rent. Rent off campus ranges from €50-€70 roughly, even allowing €20 for bills a week, you're still saving in the order of €€40 a week off-campus.
    - You'll (usually) get your full deposit back. Unless you're being a prick and/or your landlord is a twat, you'll get your entire deposit back. On campus, you're more than likely going to have a list of deductions on it. It's a complete racket.
    - Way more freedom. The security I spoke of earlier is a blessing and a curse. It keeps scum away, and is a nice safety net, but if you're trying to bring some young wan back during RAG week, it's a sh*t buzz when they stop you and turn her away and you have to try and sneak her in. Or when they break up a house party, or when you get told off for being on a balcony at 10:30pm. Or when you have to sign in people you want to have sleep over and if you don't do it before 6:30pm they could be turned away if ye get caught by security.
    - No WiFi. And a potential fine if you set up your own.
    - Sh*t TV's. Plassey have nice flatscreens, everywhere else (tht I know of) have crappy CRT's, with sh*tty cable TV. Off campus you could end up with Sky or UPC.
    - Keycards. There's something demeaning about using a keycard to get into your house instead of a physical key. They're also tempermental and will randomly stop working at the most inopportune times.

So yeah, if you've set your heart on on-campus, then yeah it's a kick in the stones if you don't get it. But don't write off a college because of it. If you wanted to come to UL and do the course you'd chosen enough that you were willing to pay four and a half grand on accommodation to go here, something like this shouldn't turn you off.
    Kemmy Business School
    Main Building - Eden
    Main Building - Starbucks
    PESS building
    Health Science Building
    Spar
    Library
    Stables
    Javas/Scholars

And you didn't even mention:
    CSIS
    The Foundation Building
    Pavillion
    Sports Bar
    Paddock

It's just a pity I don't drink coffee/tea given that there's so much choice! :pac:

The one restaurant I believe. Nice coffee, had a cappuccino once and saw Wnolan lounging around. He told me he got changed between classes but I'm sceptical. Good coffee though and not extremely expensive.

Jesus man, how long ago was this? I haven't "lounged" in the PESS since first semester of first year. So either you've a better memory than me, or this never happened. :pac:

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with the lads here. I've lived on campus for my 5 years here (god bless the grant and a course that means I go out about once a year....) and, to be brutally honest, on campus offers very little that you can't get off campus.

- Close to college.
    - As a first year, I loved that I was put n with all first years. We were all in the same boat, easy way to make friends.
    - Safety. 24 hour security just a phone call away. Break-in's an extreme rarity (there's been one break-in that I've heard of in the 5 villages in the 5 years I've been here (possible I just haven't heard, but it's still extremely rare))

The Counter Arguments (i.e. Why You Shouldn't Let Not Getting On Campus Accommodation Deter You From Studying in UL)
    - Cheaper. Much, much cheaper. For Dromroe, Cappa and Thomond, you're in the region of €120 a week in rent. Rent off campus ranges from €50-€70 roughly, even allowing €20 for bills a week, you're still saving in the order of €€40 a week off-campus.
    - You'll (usually) get your full deposit back. Unless you're being a prick and/or your landlord is a twat, you'll get your entire deposit back. On campus, you're more than likely going to have a list of deductions on it. It's a complete racket.
    - Way more freedom. The security I spoke of earlier is a blessing and a curse. It keeps scum away, and is a nice safety net, but if you're trying to bring some young wan back during RAG week, it's a sh*t buzz when they stop you and turn her away and you have to try and sneak her in. Or when they break up a house party, or when you get told off for being on a balcony at 10:30pm. Or when you have to sign in people you want to have sleep over and if you don't do it before 6:30pm they could be turned away if ye get caught by security.
    - Sh*t TV's. Plassey have nice flatscreens, everywhere else (tht I know of) have crappy CRT's, with sh*tty cable TV. Off campus you could end up with Sky or UPC.
    - Keycards. There's something demeaning about using a keycard to get into your house instead of a physical key. They're also tempermental and will randomly stop working at the most inopportune times.

So yeah, if you've set your heart on on-campus, then yeah it's a kick in the stones if you don't get it. But don't write off a college because of it. If you wanted to come to UL and do the course you'd chosen enough that you were willing to pay four and a half grand on accommodation to go here, something like this shouldn't turn you off.

And you didn't even mention:
    CSIS
    The Foundation Building
    Pavillion
    Sports Bar
    Paddock

It's just a pity I don't drink coffee/tea given that there's so much choice! :pac:

Jesus man, how long ago was this? I haven't "lounged" in the PESS since first semester of first year. So either you've a better memory than me, or this never happened. :pac:

My bad it was CSIS
    Always get confused with anagrams.. :P

• Advertisement

My bad it was CSIS
    Always get confused with anagrams.. :P

Abbreviations even...
    Words confuse me as well...
    Vowels in particular.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

wnolan1992 wrote: »

- Close to college.

Troy have flat screen TV's and the 6 beds in Groody do also. Groody is a bit of a lock down during RAG week but it is incredibly easy to get people in once a housemate is willing to lend you keys, or if you're only going in in groups of two. All this week I was never once asked for keys (though that could be because I've lived there for 3 years now and they recognise me).
    Groody works out at being roughly €80 a week, and that includes your bills and stuff, which like on-campus accomodation is very handy. Student houses in Briarfield, Oaklawns and Elm Park will be very cheap but a lot of them are in very bad condition, are always freezing cold and have ****ty landlords.

But like wnolan said, don't let the accommodation thing put you off going to UL. And relying on the grant to pay accommodation to pay rent will not work, especially when you've to pay on-campus rent a semester in advance. So unless you have over a grand lying around that won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭iamyourending

The perk of Dromroe is that it's so close to college, but in my four years in UL it's definitely not the best spot for parties. The bottom line with Dromroe, Thomond and Cappa is that while they're all of a fairly good standard, it's tough enough to pull off parties. You're allowed a few people until 10pm but you'll have security up to you straight after, or even earlier if it's too noisy. Plus, you run the risk of getting fined or having to do community service around the village if you hit them on a bad night! Plassey and Kilmurry have the reputation of being party-central for first years. I spent many a night in both places back in first year!

I've lived in both Thomond and Cappa. Cappa is far superior in my opinion, but maybe that's just because I'm in final year and I value the quietness around the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 username 2212

Need information on troy for incoming 1st year. Much craic compared to on-campus... etc :)

Are cappavilla,thomond and dromroe really as strict as everyone says? In terms of having friends stay over, parties, bringing someone home late etc

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Are cappavilla,thomond and dromroe really as strict as everyone says? In terms of having friends stay over, parties, bringing someone home late etc

It varies. RAG Week, yes, very strict, but all villages are then. Other weeks, not really. Just don't be a prat with loud music and massive crowds shouting and security will generally leave you alone in my experience. They are slightly stricter than Plassey, but really I think it's overstated.

Depends on the weeks/days, etc. A lot of 3rd and 4th year students live in those villages on campus so you should be very mindful or your house will be hated, possibly even reported and security will constantly have an eye on your house.

You just need to be mindful but it isn't as strict as some have said.
    If you plan to party a lot, I don't recommend those areas, simply because of the other student years around you and you don't want to be known as the annoying house of the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

just realised i said cappavilla instead of kilmurray....

i rang them over a week ago and they just said that there was nothing they could do only wait for a waiting list in august. also the lady mentioned that the university was buying a few off campus buildings which would have a shuttle bus service to the main campus ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kingofconnacht

Howye lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Howye lads!

I'm glad someone posted in this...

So are you staying on or off campus? I was lucky enough to book Thomond (only booked it since my friends and past students I know advised it). I decided to go on campus for first year because I didn't really want the hassle of looking for a house and paying for bills etc.

Also, what course will you be doing?

• Advertisement

Didn't get the points for my course so I'd to cancel my accommodation and now I'm going repeating the LC 💔 did ye all get the course ye wanted? Most of the courses in UL have risen so high this year! 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kingofconnacht

I'm in Plassey myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Almen11

Did anyone who booked campus accomodation back in February hear anything back from them? I got a text but I'm not sure if anyone else got one too?

Almen11 wrote: »
    Did anyone who booked campus accomodation back in February hear anything back from them? I got a text but I'm not sure if anyone else got one too?

Yeah I got a text. They'll be sending out a pack this week about it!

Troxck wrote: »
    Yeah I got a text. They'll be sending out a pack this week about it!

Aw great thanks for the reply! :)

Aw great thanks for the reply! :)

I don't know if you have Twitter or not, but their account is really useful to follow!

Okay so I went on to do the Finance Task as part of enrolement and it says that there is over 2000 euro to be paid by a sponsor? does anyone know what this is?

Okay so I went on to do the Finance Task as part of enrolement and it says that there is over 2000 euro to be paid by a sponsor? does anyone know what this is?

If you have a grant, the 2000 registration fee will be paid by your grant office. If not, you'll need to pay this yourself. I remember paying and then I got a grant and they reimbursed me :)

Aragneer wrote: »
    If you have a grant, the 2000 registration fee will be paid by your grant office. If not, you'll need to pay this yourself. I remember paying and then I got a grant and they reimbursed me :)

Okay thanks for replying, it says my balance is 0.00 on my financial statement so I'm presuming that means they know I'll be getting a grant :) thank you!

• Advertisement

Okay thanks for replying, it says my balance is 0.00 on my financial statement so I'm presuming that means they know I'll be getting a grant :) thank you!

Just make sure to take a letter or e-mail to show that you have been accepted for the grant or are waiting to be accepted. You should take this to orientation and if it isn't taken there then you should take it into the fees office on week 1 :)

If not, you have problems with exam results later as they believe you need to pay fees!

No problem :) Hope you get it all sorted :D

Advertisement