Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dutch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

wannabe7a wrote: »
    Korfbal? Every year the world cup finals are between Holland and Belgium, so guess who wins?

!

France?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

wannabe7a wrote: »
    ....Korfbal? Every year the world cup finals are between Holland and Belgium, so guess who wins?

....Korfbal? Playing Korfbal is like masturbating, kinda entertaining but really shouldn't be discussed in public...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

I used to live in Belgium and the Dutch you would meet there were made of nightmares. Rude, arrogant, sleazy, just a general bad time. Although, I was close to the boarder so we would get a lot of Dutch coming over for stag nights or just general boozing. The Dutch I worked with in Belgium weren't much better. They were fine to deal with, not pleasant or friendly, just fine. But very argumentative and gave the impression they were only ever out for themselves.

I won't have a negative expectation of a person just because they're Dutch though, those have just been my personal experiences with a handful of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Why is Holland frequently used and accepted worldwide as the country's name? I understand that Holland itself is only a province of the Netherlands. What do the Dutch themselves call their country?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I like the shexy futbol and the dutch gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

No he didn't!
    Could have been his brother Patsy,they look alike

Why is Holland frequently used and accepted worldwide as the country's name? I understand that Holland itself is only a province of the Netherlands. What do the Dutch themselves call their country?

Nederland

I guess it's Holland cause Kingdom of the Netherlands (Koninkrijk der Nederlanden) is quite a mouth full.

Watch this, all will be clear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Its like this: we have "ah, its grand", the Dutch have "dit kan niet". That's it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

wexie wrote: »
    Nederland

I guess it's Holland cause Kingdom of the Netherlands (Koninkrijk der Nederlanden) is quite a mouth full.

Watch this, all will be clear

Funny enough, that football supporters always use 'Holland' to cheer up their team ;)

I remember many folk in Breda and Roosendaal being annoyed at the name Holland being used for the whole country.

About the Flemish, could really sense an unease between them and the walloons.

The original "Frogs" (as an insult) was used by the English against the Dutch on account of them thinking that the land was wet and swampy,hence dwellers of swamps-frogs. And if DuckworthLuas tries to correct me again, i'm challenging him to a fistfight- to the death.

• Advertisement

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Funny enough, that football supporters always use 'Holland' to cheer up their team ;)
    Hup Holland Hup:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I really like the Dutch. Met lots while I was travelling in South America and they were ALL sound. Met two fellas with the oddest sense of humour (the best kind). Funniest feckers I met the whole time I was there. Also met this lovely bunch of chicas who made me dinner and invited me to join their drinking games when I was alone. And 2 other guys I travelled with for a while. Really nice.

Over all, thumbs up big style!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

wexie wrote: »

I've always found the majority of Dutch people aren't actually very tolerant or openminded, just petrified to be seen (publicly) to be anything other than tolerant and openminded. There's an expression in Dutch which would translate roughly as : For the eyes of the Church going public (voor het oog van het kerkvolk), which more or less means just that, they want to be perceived a certain way, not necessarily be that way.
    just like when they all sway together en masse at football internationals , it's a collective '' look at us Dutch... we are all one '' thing .

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Great country, so much so im living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Camped beside dutch people at a festival last summer. Very friendly, very laidback, generally nice people.

And weed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Whiles that is true, I have a few Dutch friends who would always say Holland so I don't know. I have asked them before but to be honest I forget what they said, I'll ask again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

crockholm wrote: »
    Could have been his brother Patsy,they look alike
    They look nothing alike!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Have lived here for 5 years and work over the Border in Germany.

I don't think you can really lump Dutch or Germans into one bucket.

Every country has a$$holes and nice people.

Christ .. you wouldn't base Irish people off a visit to Dublin, imagine they met a Taxi Driver.

The party thing where they don't bring beer, that's pretty much because if you go to their party you don't bring beer either (Our neighbour has a serious amount of crates + food when he has a party)

The splitting the bill thing ... wtf is wrong with that :) I'd only find it strange if someone starts counting out how much they owe to cents.

There's a serious Left lane hogging thing on the Motorway that just doesn't happen in Germany.

They love their Football, that Hooligan crap is all hype, its just a small percentage of supporters.

Dutch Police are always in pairs ... one is always a young guy that doesn't really have a clue whats going on and the other guy is always old with a handlebar mustache.

They are mad efficient at sending bills and everything is automated (except in the North, they still use paper in the City Halls)

They have fines for everything, you cannot drink in a public place, although this depends on where you are, where we live for example you can go to the park with some beers and a BBQ, if you did the same in the Hague the Cops are there in 10 minutes handing out fines.

I've seen them in the Hague handing out fines to kids outside a school for not having lights on their Bicycles.

All Dutch people I know don't smoke weed, the only friends that do smoke weed are foreigners.

Lots of other Generalisations I can think of that are wrong, like German Autobahn is absolutely shíte compared to Dutch Snelweg for smoothness and road drainage, The roads are great.

Dutch lads in Noord/Zuid Holland tend to just have friends from School/College and they don't need anymore than that, in the south people are a bit more relaxed I think.

I could go on for ages, but I wouldn't say its possible to get a good view on the Dutch with a visit to Amsterdam.

Similarly I work in Dusseldorf, it's pretty different to most other German Cities, Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt, Hannover, Essen (craphole) are all completely different from each other.

The tax thing isn't complicated, you get your payslip and there's all the crazy calculations on it ... after the second year I just worked out they take half :P

Whiles that is true, I have a few Dutch friends who would always say Holland so I don't know. I have asked them before but to be honest I forget what they said, I'll ask again.

For me it's simply capitulation, I've met too many blank stares and empty looks when I mentioned 'the Netherlands'.

Then again I've also had this :

I'm from Holland

Ah...Michigan!

err...no...the country...in Yuurp

<blank stare>

Amsterdam?

Aaaah.....Denmark!!!

<facepalm>

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

They are mad about voetbal but they are not great hurlers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

• From my limited experience I found Dutch people to be very bright, cheerful, funny and attractive.

More personable than the Paris and Berlin people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

14 pages on The Dutch, impressive, let's start a Traveller thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Why is Ireland called Ireland when people are referring to the Republic of Ireland.

What is a British person when the British Isles include Ireland but most people are not British on the Island of Ireland.

Explained it to a lad once,
    British Isles - the Land Mass
    Republic of Ireland - Ireland
    Northern Ireland - Northern Ireland
    Britain/British - Could be anything, Islands, the big island over on the right, a persons national identity.
    Great Britain - Generally the big Island (England,Scotland, Wales)
    United Kingdom - Great Britain including Ireland.

You could say our setup is even harder to understand.

However saying that, the Dutch say 'Holland' usually because its Internationally recognised, the further South you go they are more likely to say 'Nederland', plus its shorter and foreigners would have a tough time pronouncing Nederland properly so it's kind of stuck from tourism and immigrants.

The strangest border/country setup I've seen anywhere is in the Netherlands though.

http://goo.gl/maps/YF7OY

Have a beer in the Netherlands and go the the toilet in Belgium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

i go to holland (not just amsterdam) quite a bit, and in general, they are for the most-part, friendly, happy and tall. they LOVE being loud when they are drinking, they are big drinkers, but not as much as the irish, or their neighbours in germany.
    religion-wise, i think it's mostly lutheran protestants and now muslim immigrants in the country.

very chilled out people, open minded and friendly. basically, the opposite to the irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

They're like most conglomerations containing millions of people insofar as I don;t actually know until I meet them one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭sjaakie

i go to holland (not just amsterdam) quite a bit, and in general, they are for the most-part, friendly, happy and tall. they LOVE being loud when they are drinking, they are big drinkers, but not as much as the irish, or their neighbours in germany.
    religion-wise, i think it's mostly lutheran protestants and now muslim immigrants in the country.

very chilled out people, open minded and friendly. basically, the opposite to the irish.

is this a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Spoonman75 wrote: »
    I've never met a Dutch person I didn't like. Germans on the other hand.....
    I've had experiences I'd rather forget. It was with one German person. I wouldn't tar all German people with the same brush, but when I hear a German accent, I can't help but be reminded by that one person. I cringe inside.

Goebbels?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

The splitting the bill thing ... wtf is wrong with that :) I'd only find it strange if someone starts counting out how much they owe to cents.

I always split the bill and I'm Irish, as do my friends. This is supposed to be a Dutch thing? :confused: edit-unless you were referring to the meaning of 'going Dutch' of course :)
    you cannot drink in a public place, although this depends on where you are, where we live for example you can go to the park with some beers and a BBQ, if you did the same in the Hague the Cops are there in 10 minutes handing out fines.

Good! wish the Gardai actually enforced the laws here against drinking in public, then many of our towns and city centres wouldn't be no go zones for women like me wanting to walk through them alone in the evenings and weekends unaccosted by drunken morons and having to avoid treading on puke and piss. :mad:
    I've seen them in the Hague handing out fines to kids outside a school for not having lights on their Bicycles.

And why not? it teaches them to be responsible road users from an early age. Cycling is a popular and utilitarian transport method there with up to 33% modal transport share in some cities, 27% nationally. They take cycling seriously and with so many people sharing the (excellent) segregated cycle paths and cycle highways it makes sense to make it as safe as possible for all cyclists, as well as other road users.

Explained it to a lad once,
    British Isles - the Land Mass
    Republic of Ireland - Ireland
    Northern Ireland - Northern Ireland
    Britain/British - Could be anything, Islands, the big island over on the right, a persons national identity.
    Great Britain - Generally the big Island (England,Scotland, Wales)
    United Kingdom - Great Britain including Ireland.

By your definition that means the United Kingdom is Great Britain and the Republic :pac:

I'm sure you meant Great Britain and Northern Ireland ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Calvinists, not Lutherans. If you go there a lot how could you confuse the two? And the Muslim community only accounts for a little under 6% of the population.

Those are descriptors I would like to think my friends and my Mum would use about me-an easy going, friendly sort and very open minded. Obviously they must all be mistaken as it states Irish as my nationality on my birth cert. and passport. :rolleyes:

Advertisement