Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭ Craig Mealy Couch

Hayezer wrote: »
    QA was grand, spent too long on it though and when I got to the third part it was shorter that the two 15 markers :L

QB shhok me a bit, never did an article before so I basically just wrote :S What makes an article an article guys :S?

Short story scared me alot and I was panicking cus my idea didn't fit in and I was feeling like I couldn't think of anything. So I did like a page of me going on about how I want to leave home, and once I did I slotted in my normal idea which was something completely different. I somewhat tied it back together in a conclusion paragraph thing. But I'm really scared that I didn't really answer the question :(:(:(

Just be persuasive, say how the trips helped children etc. I used way too many rhetorical devices. Like, at least 9!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

Am I the only one who did the literature speech?:p
    Also, I thought that B on student council was lovely. Just a typical education is more than books thing I did. Although I didn't like the A's. Did the Mary Robinson one, but wasn't too happy with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

finality wrote: »
    I did, it was perfect, except I made the ending uplifting because it's easier to write a happy ending in NO TIME ugh. I wrote the last page in 5 minutes, seriously. :( Our examiner was lovely, he's an adorable old man.
    Jealous! I take it that was Q7? I'd have loved to make mine depressing but because I was writing about Ireland I had to moderate it a bit...if I got an examiner from Kilkenny they'd hate me. :pac:
    Anybody do Text 3? I thought the image on the left was better but everyone else went with the one on the right. At least I'll be unique :P
    I chose the left one too! I planned to pick the one on the right but it didnt have any people travelling (spellcheck is telling me it's traveling but that looks wrong...whoops! Think I thought of this in the exam though, I forget :L). I said it was eerie and reminded me of ghosts like Theroux mentioned, but that ultimately the text discusses travel and not ghosts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Actually, does anyone know how many words they wrote/typed? I know I did 3,100 in total. Is that a lot?
    Thanks.

About 2600. I've never been the fastest writer/thinker.
    Hopefully the quality is there!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Just be persuasive, say how the trips helped children etc. I used way too many rhetorical devices. Like, at least 9!

I used 1, but then I was sorta thinking to myself that if I use them it would seem more speech-ey? I dunno, I just sorta rambled on about nothing :L

My composition felt rushed aswell, couldn't really get in any nice descriptions :( Pretty dissapointed now that I think about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Eathrin wrote: »
    Text 1 QB
    Text 2 QA
    Composition Q7 "leaving home"

Wasn't too bad, ran out of time for my art A questions, could have done with an extra 2 mins. I think most people in my year did the short story q7!

How long do ye generally write for the composition? I wrote just 4 pages, although I counted my words at 1200.

Also I think I messed up on my letter format!

What was the letter format did we need a date? and I'm guessing that it was informal?

I wrote about 4 pages an a bit I thought it'd be shorter it's only 1 page typed up.

Actually, does anyone know how many words they wrote/typed? I know I did 3,100 in total. Is that a lot?
    Thanks.

I typed just a shade under 4500. More than I did in the mocks though, certainly a good few hundred more although I forget exactly, and I got 94 there, so quantity really isn't everything as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Also, I thought that B on student council was lovely. Just a typical education is more than books thing I did. Although I didn't like the A's. Did the Mary Robinson one, but wasn't too happy with it.

Ugh I did it too. Were you happy with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Did anyone else do the inferior rock band one?

Ugh I did it too. Were you happy with it?

I actually liked it. I did the 2007 Text 1 Section A a couple days ago, released I had a lot to say, thought I'd love it if something like that came up.

Referenced a lot of books, and felt good. Although then again, hard to know. I usually go speech though, so pretty happy.

• Advertisement

What was the letter format did we need a date? and I'm guessing that it was informal?

I wrote about 4 pages an a bit I thought it'd be shorter it's only 1 page typed up.

I wrote 2 addresses:eek:
    Please don't tell me I was wrong to do a formal letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I did that one too, I didn't think it was too bad, took up a good bit of time though.

I couldn't get anything to say for the second question on it. I took out all the quotes I could but only got half a page done. The other two questions were fine, I just probably should've opted for Text 2. Thought I was going to do the B part for that though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭ Craig Mealy Couch

About 2600. I've never been the fastest writer/thinker.
    Hopefully the quality is there!
    I found my vocabulary just left but now I can think of loads of nice words.
    Sagacious
    Salient
    Explicate
    Elucidate
    Arbitrary
    Somnambulism
    Fervently
    Moreover
    Brood
    Felicitously
    Veracity
    Tenacity
    Narcissistic
    Trenchantly

I'm just really pissed I can rhyme off nice language in a minute there but I couldn't think of synonyms in the exam. :mad::mad::mad: Language is where I'd get marks and I've lost that.

Anybody do Text 3? I thought the image on the left was better but everyone else went with the one on the right. At least I'll be unique :P
    Patchy~ wrote: »

I chose the left one too! I planned to pick the one on the right but it didnt have any people travelling (spellcheck is telling me it's traveling but that looks wrong...whoops! Think I thought of this in the exam though, I forget :L). I said it was eerie and reminded me of ghosts like Theroux mentioned, but that ultimately the text discusses travel and not ghosts :)

I did the right I was going to do the one on the left then I thought it was easier to describe the right image. Did we just need to refer to words like in the center or left right background and describe the colour and everything in the picture? And why it appeals? or what it represents? I wasn't sure I didn't do how to answer images since 3rd year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

You liked it? :/ I did it and it was so waffley and ugh.
    If you know me at all Couer, you know I love books :) I loved it but at the same time I don't know how I did :( I made it very personal and I mean very. It was more a personal essay than a speech :P but meh :P
    I wrote about Harry Potter and was thinking ... "Couer would love this"
    Oh and patch I wrote about "Looking for Alaska" and the 2 books I read last night :)
    Oh and I put in a quote "People read so they feel less alone" from a book I read last year... and yeah basically I could talk all day bout books :P and poems ... old Frost got a mention and W.B. Yeats :)
    Jealous! I take it that was Q7? I'd have loved to make mine depressing but because I was writing about Ireland I had to moderate it a bit...if I got an examiner from Kilkenny they'd hate me. :pac:
    Does this mean you painted KK in a poor light :( Oh patch :(

Togepi wrote: »
    I couldn't get anything to say for the second question on it. I took out all the quotes I could but only got half a page done. The other two questions were fine, I just probably should've opted for Text 2. Thought I was going to do the B part for that though!

Yeah same I actually wrote the least on the second question too. All in all it wasn't too bad, I'm glad to get it over with, it's not too bad once your in there. :)

I don't know I wrote two addresses and wrote an informal letter :eek: .
    I thought it seemed like a informal letter. Wait do you use two addresses in a informal letter? .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Yeah that part B was definitely the nicest!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

It had to be formal, sure you dont know the woman! I did 2 addresses too, wrote "Cork" before I realized she was Canadian, derp :pac:
    I did the right I was going to do the one on the left then I thought it was easier to describe the right image. Did we just need to refer to words like in the center or left right background and describe the colour and everything in the picture? And why it appeals? or what it represents? I wasn't sure I didn't do how to answer images since 3rd year.
    I described the train in motion, passengers, chinese writing and the map, compared to the eerie lights in the other image and lack of a train and concluded that the train in Image A made you think of travel more :)

I hope my essay gets enough purpose marks. If it doesn't I'm fecked. :(

• Advertisement

This thread could not be anymore On Topic.

Purple monkey dishwasher. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I went with informal. Seemed more like fanmail :P

I'd say you'd be grand either way, it's not as if she's the president or something, they'll hardly dock marks.

It had to be formal, sure you dont know the woman! I did 2 addresses too, wrote "Cork" before I realized she was Canadian, derp :pac:

I described the train in motion, passengers, chinese writing and the map, compared to the eerie lights in the other image and lack of a train and concluded that the train in Image A made you think of travel more :)

Ah I couldn't decide if it was formal or informal the letter seemed like it would be informal.

Mine was kind like that too.

Most of the qbs were awful anyway lol.

Managed to take a few snaps of my short story:pac:
    4356841_700b_v2.jpg

Managed to take a few snaps of my short story:pac:

A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

Anyone do O level English? what did you think and how many pages did you write?

I need to make up for those 50marks lost in paper 2.
    I thought it was just a descriptive letter informally. Aw well it's over now , I did my best . Paper 2 better have Plath tomorrow or Rich if not Plath!

• Advertisement

I need to make up for those 50marks lost in paper 2.
    I thought it was just a descriptive letter informally. Aw well it's over now , I did my best . Paper 2 better have Plath tomorrow or Rich if not Plath!

I wouldn't worry about seriously I doubt they dock marks for it and if they do it'll probably be just 2 or 3. It's an English exam, it test your English, they won't be too bothered about letter format.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement