Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The next general election

• 26-02-2011 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this thread has been done before, Does anyone here think we might have another election in less than 12 months? There is a possibility of the IMF going into more EU countries, those countries aren't going to pay the interest rates we're paying, when will people realise that all these people care about is pandering to europe? surely people will have to wake up, fine gael won't mean change. All this election talk in the news has been a nice break from the dail debates which just show how desperate the situation really is but what is really going to have change when the dail meets again, same crap all over again. Will we get to the stage of mass protests do you think? I certainly hope so

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If they make it to summer, they are likely to make it for a few years.

Making it to summer will depend on the ability to form and maintain a majority, which is likely to be down to financial policy, which will need to be mostly in line with the EU/IMF agreements.

Stray to far from the agreements and the flow of money may dry up, creating a crisis that may affect the majority.

Go to harsh economically and it may be difficult to maintain a majority, which will be more important if there is a coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Even though I dont support FG, I had kind of resigned to the fact that they will be in power, I even started picking out positives in what they will be doing. But when I saw Enda the other night being interviewed on The VB show, my heart sank, it was like listening to Cowen or Lenihan, there was nothing new, he was dodging questions, he was full of 'we'll wait and see's , he showed a lack of understanding or strength.

Despite all this, I can see FG completing their term. I cant see any reason why there'll be another election.

And no, we wont get to mass protests, we had that opportunity and the people threw it away(im referring to people that did not bother protesting) over the past year or two. There was plenty of opportunities, plenty of protests and no one bothered their arses budging off the couch, there is absolutely no reason why mass protests should start now.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

the incoming government (whoever that may be) has a very tough job but the outgoing government were given 4 years even though they were doing a poor job and forced the IMF to visit.

I can't see another GE for at least 3 years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Mass protests on issues like austerity measures are almost pointless in these circumstances and, as highlighted very graphically in Britain and Greece, are routinely usurped by people who are out to cause harm and have no thought for the interests of the country or its people.

'Fraid we've all voted and the horse to back is dealing with the cards we drew for the foreseeable future. It's also a bit wishful to even bring the idea up before a single ballot has been counted in this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Unfortunately as I have no faith in a Fine gael led government Syferus I have no choice but to hope and pray that they will be out before long......it keeps me sane :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement