Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you voted for SF, I ask you why ?

• 26-02-2011 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

it was a genuine question.

withdrawn.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056162622

There is already a huge thread on this
    Just above yours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

It's incomprehensible to me why anyone would vote for any party other than the party I voted for. Should I make a thread about each one - or is singling out SF the only hip thing to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I posted in that thread. But to sum it up quickly: firstly, I liked the budget speech (it did raise a lot of issues that I like how they propose to fix them), secondly, I agree with a lot of their policies (though a united Ireland is not in the top 5 issues I care about at the current moment but it is important too). It was mainly a method of just removing the least liked parties by me and carefully checking out the ones I did like and going from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

for the first time I gave them a number.... I think 13... but better than the FF non runners.

.....I am actually interested in seeing SF in opposition (with speaking rights) I think in the future they MIGHT offer something, they are saying the right things (other than hand back the loan - that's probably already spent) & they have shown that they can work with people they don't agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

Pal wrote: »
    too late now to influence voters but why in a million years would anybody vote for them ?

Incomprehensible to me.

Troll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

too late now to influence voters but why in a million years would anybody vote for them ?

Incomprehensible to me.

Who the hell do you think you are??! with your "too late now to influence voters"

Pathetic. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Hey, it's equally as incomprehensible to me why anyone would vote for the shower of crooks we've had to put up with fo rthe last 14 years, but people do and that's democracy.

A lot of working class people identify with many of SF's policies and they are one party who seem intent on not cowtowing to the banks or Europe. For many people, that in itself is a huge plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

It's a democracy. I don't want a Labour or Independent candidate in, so I gave my 4th preference to SF.

In any case I really don't see how voting for SF could be any worse than voting for Jackie Healy Rae, Ray Burke or Michael Lowry.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

rallying against the consensus perhaps

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2010/oct/10/a-nation-holds-its-breath/

afterall political consensus gots us where we are now

really just following m.martins chain of thought, he told us all that regretted not doing it whilst at the cabinet table and mused that if he did we may not be in such a dreadful position right now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Some people love their get the rich/walk away simply from our debts nonsense. It's bull but from posting on here no matter how clearly you explain that to them they keep at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I do not support all of SFs views, as a matter of fact I favour some of FGs views in certain areas over SFs (only a very very small few mind you).
    I also do not believe Sinn Fein when they claim they wouldnt have to make cuts, thats nonsense,however here are the reasons I gave them my number 1.

- The only party offering genuine political reform, with serious cuts on all TDs wages and expenses, and a huge reduction in TDs. Cuts that when mentioned, make every other party cringe with awkwardness.

- The only party that can see how we should not be bailing out private banks/bondholders, and can also see that the path they want to take will be inevitable anyway.(maybe thats a good reason why this election doesnt even matter:D)

- The most experienced party in negotiations(and dont forget compromise) and could probably prove very successful dealing with our EU colleagues.

-Having read various replies to emails sent to all my local TDs (not by me) relating to national issues, Maurice Quinliven gave the most comprehensive, detailed, lengthy and personal response,.

-I am very anti FF or FG, I believe FG are just a follow on from FF, I cannot see how people do not see this. I dont support Labour as I believe they have completely lost their way in terms of who/what they represent and seemed to be feeding off the failures of FF. But the main reason I do not support Labour is because they also want to go along with the FG policy on our Europe and banking problems. Otherwise its very likely I would have voted for them.

-The independents in my area never showed up, I heard nothing from their canvassers, I heard little of them on any radio, and I couldnt even get a contact for one of them. I also dont believe you should vote independent unless they are very vocal about their national interests, not local
    interests.

- I dont believe in ULAs core policy which is trying to eradicate capitalism.

So there you have it , thats why I gave them my number 1.
    I refuse to NOT vote for a party just because I dont think they'll get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

zig wrote: »
    I do not support all of SFs views, as a matter of fact I favour some of FGs views in certain areas over SFs (only a very very small few mind you).
    I also do not believe Sinn Fein when they claim they wouldnt have to make cuts, thats nonsense,however here are the reasons I gave them my number 1.

- The only party offering genuine political reform, with serious cuts on all TDs wages and expenses, and a huge reduction in TDs. Cuts that when mentioned, make every other party cringe with awkwardness.

- The only party that can see how we should not be bailing out private banks/bondholders, and can also see that the path they want to take will be inevitable anyway.(maybe thats a good reason why this election doesnt even matter:D)

- The most experienced party in negotiations(and dont forget compromise) and could probably prove very successful dealing with our EU colleagues.

-Having read various replies to emails sent to all my local TDs (not by me) relating to national issues, Maurice Quinliven gave the most comprehensive, detailed, lengthy and personal response,.

-I am very anti FF or FG, I believe FG are just a follow on from FF, I cannot see how people do not see this. I dont support Labour as I believe they have completely lost their way in terms of who/what they represent and seemed to be feeding off the failures of FF. But the main reason I do not support Labour is because they also want to go along with the FG policy on our Europe and banking problems. Otherwise its very likely I would have voted for them.

-The independents in my area never showed up, I heard nothing from their canvassers, I heard little of them on any radio, and I couldnt even get a contact for one of them. I also dont believe you should vote independent unless they are very vocal about their national interests, not local
    interests.

- I dont believe in ULAs core policy which is trying to eradicate capitalism.

So there you have it , thats why I gave them my number 1.
    I refuse to NOT vote for a party just because I dont think they'll get in.

You've hit the nail on the head, it seems that most people refused to see the bigger picture because of their limited desire for change and generally myopic views tainted by both Irish civil war politics and the capitalistic misinformation which has pervaded this election.

FF were terrified by the potential SF vote, a good enough excuse for me after everything those economic traitors have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Again i wonder why FF&FG's roots are forgotten?
    they also emerged from a 32 County Ireland wish.
    unlike Collins and Dev they did not split and have an all out civil war.
    they grew up working class Belfast and Derry,why do people not realise the terrible injustice's perpertrated on them by English rule as young men led them to support murder?

for balance sake i also think the Unionist's were used by many Govt's of the UK.

i do not think Sinn Fein are ready yet for Govt in the south,but the whole peace process put GA&McMcG at severe danger of being murdered by many sinister forces.

i believe history will judge them far better than Dev&Collins.
    i do believe they deserve votes to justify the very difficult task they had of keeping the provo's/unionists/uk Govt engaged in the process.
    there should be a political 'peace dividend' for SF or IMO the likes of Rira etc will claim taking the political route was the wrong thing to do (as they do already)

no voice for SF will create a void that many die hard Republicans given enough support would be more than happy to fill.(with bullets)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

Incomprehensible to me.
    Idiotic thread, looking out for the poor and working class is incomprenhensible, well go back voting for the right wing parties then.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

Incomprehensible to me.

Because they gave the easy answer to the big question:
    Q. Who should pay for the mess we are in?

A. Someone else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

ZYX wrote: »
    Because they gave the easy answer to the big question:
    Q. Who should pay for the mess we are in?

A. Someone else

This is the type of absolute tripe people like FF, Fg and Labour spout. Its the ****e you read in here from posters like meglome. And its baseless. They never once said Ireland should refuse to pay the debt of the irish state.
    They state, quite clearly, that banks like anglo, AIB and BoI should clean up their own mess.

On top of that, they, along with the greens are the only parties asking for serious reform of the parliamentary process.
    FF, FG, there is no difference, same ****, different underpants. Labour aren't much different and are only interested and looking out for their masters in the public sector trade unions.

SF have been the only party to offer a genuine alternative. That is why I gave my local SF candidate my 1st preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

Seaneh wrote: »
    This is the type of absolute tripe people like FF, Fg and Labour spout. Its the ****e you read in here from posters like meglome. And its baseless. They never once said Ireland should refuse to pay the debt of the irish state.
    They state, quite clearly, that banks like anglo, AIB and BoI should clean up their own mess.

On top of that, they, along with the greens are the only parties asking for serious reform of the parliamentary process.
    FF, FG, there is no difference, same ****, different underpants. Labour aren't much different and are only interested and looking out for their masters in the public sector trade unions.

SF have been the only party to offer a genuine alternative. That is why I gave my local SF candidate my 1st preference.

They offered reversal of tax rises
    No reduction in public services
    No cut to child allowance
    No extra tax for anyone earning less than 100,000

Basically they offered everyone earning less than 100k (nearly everyone) a guarentee they would not be worse off and anyone earning less than 30K would be better off.

That is ****e. That ignores realities. They never costed their plans in public but said "it has been costed by unnamed officials in Dept of Finance"

I'd rather they were wrong about these coatings and have to change their policies than have FF and FG carry on down a road where we are paying back a loan we can't afford for the next 5 or 6 years that we have no business or obligation to pay anyway only to figure out that we are ****ed completely.

If debt exceeds GDP (it does) and the interest on the debt exceeds the rate of economic growth (which it does) how the hell do you plan of paying back that debt?
    YOU CAN'T.
    Its impossible.

That is clear and unavoidable.

We cannot afford the bailout. It will ruin us completely. Everyone and their dog can see That.

For us to be able to repay the IMF/EU loan the rate of growth has to exceed the interest rate on the loan.

The current rate of growth is barely above 1%, the interest rate is 5.8%

Do the math!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Op, whomever I voted for would have been my democratic choice as a voter, that in itself allows me to have the freedom to vote for the person who I think will best represent me in the houses of power. Simple as.

Anyone who votes for SF does so because, after years of torment and persecution and especially given the troubled history of Northern Ireland, they have the freedom too. That in itself is more spiritually important to some then an electoral win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

clln wrote: »
    why do people not realise the terrible injustice's perpertrated on them by English rule as young men led them to support murder?

British rule, not English rule.

• Advertisement

British rule, not English rule.

No, im pretty sure you could accurately call it english rule of a british parliment.

No, im pretty sure you could accurately call it english rule of a british parliment.

Ireland was under British rule.

Ireland was under British rule.

No.

Ireland, scotland and wales where under english rule.

Id find that far more accurate.

No.

You really have not got a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

No.

interesting how the english are trying to place their murderous history on others, .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I believe we need a strong hand and IMO the others have failed and it'll be more of the same, the last thing I need is more of the same.

A little revolution is a good thing now and again, I think we've reached our again time.

danbohan wrote: »
    interesting how the english are trying to place their murderous history on others, .

To be honest I find your constant sniping about my lack of entitlement to call myself Irish is offensive. Just because I don't support the shinners doesn't invalidate my nationality.

90% of Ireland rejected Sinn Fein - does that make them English as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Incomprehensible to me.

Because it is my democratic right to vote for whoever the hell I feel like whether it be Sinn Féin or the Monster Raving Looney Party. Who are you to question that? And why would your question "influence" anyone's vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I always give sinn fein a preference for the simple reason that it tends to be sinn fein that recruit from community groups. As a young lad 2 of my then youth leaders went on to join sinn fein because they felt that was the only way to get more work done in the area.

You just have to look at larry o toole in dublin to see this in focus.

It makes no sense to barete any party without looking at there policies. Granted its hard these days to say this about fianna failure. I dont agree with some of sinn feins policies but in my old stomping ground i would have had to vote for them because they were the only ones doing work that helped me.

I now currently live in a predominatly Fianna Failure and Fine Gael area. Every time i ask for something i get nice letters back but what i ask for never happens...Dont get me wrong its not impractical stuff like a bridge over the river kwai. Its usually something like imroved signage on the main road to reduce speed or hedge cutting so kids can walk to school safely

So back to sinn fein. I usually vote for them because locally they do work or they will be up front and say "council has no funds...You have not a hope in hell" then i say where do i apeal this....

You see despite what you think all politics is local....

Might explain why michael lowry gets and Jackie Healy rae gets in....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭danger man

You really have not got a clue.

im from the north mate,the british army ruled by english kings and queens took this island

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement