Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Female Cyclist dies in collision

Options
  • 15-08-2013 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

I cycle this road myself, I have seen a lot of near misses on this stretch of road. but it can be hazardous at times. Cars can go pretty fast on this road. There's no cycle lane here. We really need the infrastructure to accommodate ALL road users. My girlfriend cycles this way every day too and I am pretty worried about receiving news ,like this.

Poor woman. RIP. I can't comprehend what it's like to receive news like this ;(

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/female-cyclist-dies-after-dublin-collision-29501843.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

RIP and all, but what's her sex got to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

For those of ye who are on phones etc etc

"15 AUGUST 2013

A FEMALE cyclist has died after being involved in an horrific collision with a truck this morning in south Dublin.

The woman, who was in her mid 20s, has not been named. She was taken to St Vincent's Hospital but she later died.

Traffic in the area was diverted through Blackrock village as gardai attended to the scene.

On the other side of the city, gardai were dealing with a single vehicle accident in Finglas this morning. Last week, it emerged that eight more people have died on the roads this year compared with same period in 2012.

Of the 119 killed this year, 61 were drivers - the biggest of any road user. A total of 13 of the victims were aged between 21 and 25.

And Friday continues to carry the highest risk on the road of any day of the week and accounts for one in five of all fatal collisions.

The hours between 2pm and 6pm carry the highest risk as 37 people have been killed in this period."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I regularly cycle that way too, never had a problem.

Poor woman R.I.P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

RIP...

I know why I'm not cycling in Ireland, even though I do really miss it.
    The infrastructure for cyclists is either non-existent, p*ss-poor and in some cases I know actively contributing to putting cyclists at risk.

And many motorists seem to start foaming at the mouth the moment they spot a cyclist.

It's dangerous and it needn't be.

Poor woman.

smash wrote: »

You can say the same about the age, or the area. It's all information that can be used at this time I guess. Imagine you have somebody who cycles that road. A woman in her mid 20's. You will be able to at least contact your wife, girlfriend, sister, friend to see if they are ok.

I also didn't write the article or headline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good question but it seems it was just taken from the paper. Apparently the paper thought it was worth a mention, for some obscure reason.

RIP - stay safe out there female, and male, cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Poor woman. My heart goes out to her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RIP

and spare a thought for what that poor truck driver is going through today

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Really sad. Probably off earning a few bob only to be cut down in her prim.

RIP. It must be devastating for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I'd be inclined to say Nothing, that's just how it was reported.

"dies" was the word that caught me, as earlier it was reported as injured.

I'll leave the discussion for a little later. For the family/friends here could be the first they hear of it.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Shenshen wrote: »
    RIP...

I know why I'm not cycling in Ireland, even though I do really miss it.
    The infrastructure for cyclists is either non-existent, p*ss-poor and in some cases I know actively contributing to putting cyclists at risk.

And many motorists seem to start foaming at the mouth the moment they spot a cyclist.

It's dangerous and it needn't be.

Poor woman.

I disagree with this somewhat. I recently started to cycle to and from work and there are cycle paths the whole way in. What I have been astonished at is the amount of cyclists who use the road rather than the cycle lanes.
    For instance yesterday I was the only one who used the cycle lane for the entire 10km home. Many other cyclists were on the road but none on the paths.
    Before I started to cycle I wondered if it was because the paths were in poor conditions, littered with glass, etc etc but this is not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

That is very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A cyclist has died and people are arguing about the use of the word Female in the article, ffs, no respect.

Crap, I passed that accident this morning, didn't realise how serious it was :(

Poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I wonder was it another case of the cyclist in truck drivers blind spot?
    I know many people who cycle that area so felt sick when I heard the news.
    Poor family and friends :(
    RIP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I disagree with this somewhat. I recently started to cycle to and from work and there are cycle paths the whole way in. What I have been astonished at is the amount of cyclists who use the road rather than the cycle lanes.
    For instance yesterday I was the only one who used the cycle lane for the entire 10km home. Many other cyclists were on the road but none on the paths.
    Before I started to cycle I wondered if it was because the paths were in poor conditions, littered with glass, etc etc but this is not the case.

They probably don't go all the way with you. Also where I live, there's cycle lanes all over the place. Mostly only kids that use'em though. Mainly due to the trees that are along'em. Overhanging branches will go straight into an adults face.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I can't speak for where you are (I wouldn't even know where that is), but here in Cork the situation isn't good.

There are a few cycle paths, one of them I've noticed in particular as a driver, as it cuts across the road some 5 metres in front of traffic lights, making drivers cross over it as they move to the left lane for turning off. I wouldn't want to bet any money on the number of drivers who will actually check their left mirrors before changing lanes there, and I've seen a good few near misses.

In the rural areas, where I live, there are no cycle paths, roads tend to be in an awful condition and not habitually wide enough to allow a driver to easily pass a cyclist.
    I tend to just hang back until I can safely overtake, but I have witnessed drivers pretty much pushing cyclists into the hedges when forcing their way past despite oncoming traffic. The fact that the cyclist cannot really see what the guy behind him is up to certainly doesn't help the situation.

As I said, I do miss cycling. Back in Germany, I would cycle everywhere, I never even had a driver's license cause I didn't need it - I had a bike.
    Here, I'm simply not brave enough. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I use cycle lanes when I can but they are not all in good condition. It depends where you are really and what bike you are on.

Bad condition cycle lanes are ok for mountain bikes but may not be ok for road bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

I'm surprised there aren't a lot more incidents like this. Every morning I get to watch cyclists weave in and out of traffic lanes, jump lights and try to overtake buses on the left hand side, when there turning left.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Stillorganboy

This could happen anywhere at anytime ! RIP

• Advertisement

It's not always the case though. Where I cycle there are very few cycle lanes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Seridisand wrote: »
    I'm surprised there aren't a lot more incidents like this. Every morning I get to watch cyclists weave in and out of traffic lanes, jump lights and try to overtake buses on the left hand side, when there turning left.

An accident involving a cyclist is not always the fault of the cyclist. No point on trying to direct blame for it, until further details, if they are going to be released, are.

There's some wreckless cyclists, there's also some wreckless drivers.

Seridisand wrote: »

I see the same from some motorists.

Please let's not turn this into a debate on the habits of some cyclists, we do not know what happened in this tragedy so let us not speculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

RIP, horrible way to die.

On the topic of Cyclist safety, I see cyclists in town regularly wearing headphones whilst in traffic. Cannon fodder these folk are I tells you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sadly from experience of cycling on that particular road regularly a few years ago I'd have to say that something like this was bound to happen eventually.

My sympathies to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I wonder was it another case of the cyclist in truck drivers blind spot?
    I know many people who cycle that area so felt sick when I heard the news.
    Poor family and friends :(
    RIP

Or the driver turning without looking? no point speculating - a young woman has been killed. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

RIP

In terms of cycling infrastructure, the area where that accident happened there's not really much that can be put in place for cyclists. If you're coming off Frascati Road and into the village it's not wide enough for a cycle lane and if you're heading up Carysfort Avenue the road isn't wide enough at a lot of points for cycle lanes either, particularly where it meets Frascati Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What area do you cycle? I can tell you from experience that bike lanes in the city centre are dangerous particularly along the quays and around Christchurch.
    P_1 wrote: »
    Sadly from experience of cycling on that particular road regularly a few years ago I'd have to say that something like this was bound to happen eventually.

My sympathies to all involved.

Was it down by the shopping centre? I only cycled that way a couple of times, but the bend at the end struck me as an accident waiting to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Shenshen wrote: »
    I can't speak for where you are (I wouldn't even know where that is), but here in Cork the situation isn't good.

There are a few cycle paths, one of them I've noticed in particular as a driver, as it cuts across the road some 5 metres in front of traffic lights, making drivers cross over it as they move to the left lane for turning off. I wouldn't want to bet any money on the number of drivers who will actually check their left mirrors before changing lanes there, and I've seen a good few near misses.

by any chance is that at the end of the well road start of the skehard road in blackrock?

most dangerous junction ever, for both cars and cyclists, but like they pointed out its safer now for pedestrians, that you never see walking there, ever....so that makes it ok to endanger the lives of cyclists actually in the cycle lane. :rolleyes: its ridiculous logic and a ridiculous junction.

as for this accident, i feel so bad for the truck driver, and the family of the cyclists,

i like many get so annoyed by cyclists and motorists alike breaking rules of the road, but i would never want to see someone hurt or killed.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

kylith wrote: »
    What area do you cycle? I can tell you from experience that bike lanes in the city centre are dangerous particularly along the quays and around Christchurch.

Yeah have to agree the South Quays are a nightmare to cycle, never really had any troubles around Christchurch myself though, always thought the Dame Street, Thomas Street route is the safest way to cycle into the city center from the west.
    Was it down by the shopping centre? I only cycled that way a couple of times, but the bend at the end struck me as an accident waiting to happen.

No it was at the other end from what I can tell (the corner of Carysford Ave and Frascati Road)

Advertisement