Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Wow well done that's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I saw you from a distance bluewolf, when we were lining up at the start! I was busy trying to get in front of the people with buggies and young children. In saying that though, I was overtaken late in the race by men running with buggies!

I saw a guy wearing a pink mankini, lol! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yea I was pretty impressed with all the lads running with buggies!!
    I saw a guy wearing nothing but skin coloured shorts and a pink one piece thing, doing the 10k :eek:
    I'd say he was frozen :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Well done to all who completed this :)

I only walked the 5km myself... but sure it turned into over 10km with the distance I had to walk to and from my car :P

• Advertisement

More pictures here: http://actionphotography.ie/gallery/the-great-pink-run-2013/

I think I saw my face over someone's shoulder but it's hard to tell!

Disappointed that the race times aren't up yet! :(

Ice Storm wrote: »
    More pictures here: http://actionphotography.ie/gallery/the-great-pink-run-2013/

They're getting hassle on Facebook about it :)
    I'd like to know as well how I did, the finish clock isn't much good when you're not in the first wave like

I didn't even see the clock! I was just going by the time on my watch which I started too late.

I found my picture... I'm running behind ridiculously photogenic girl. :o

I can't browse any more on my phone I'll have to hunt next week!
    Lol :D
    Are you going to do the run in the dark in Nov? I found another 5k in naas in October I wana do

The run in the dark sounds so cool. I'm nearly disappointed that I'll be out of the country then! :pac:

I'm going to start the bridge to 10k next week I think, make a new goal. :)

• Advertisement

Ooh that sounds good. I still have the app for it I think but I better work on 5k times and stuff first maybe :) if I get to 30 mins like you ill be happy!

bluewolf wrote: »
    Ooh that sounds good. I still have the app for it I think but I better work on 5k times and stuff first maybe :)if I get to 30 mins like you ill be happy!
    Not there yet! Got a text with my official time: 31.22. I'm so happy - it's nearly 3 mins better than my previous best. :D

Not there yet! Got a text with my official time: 31.22. I'm so happy - it's nearly 3 mins better than my previous best. :D

Congrats!! That's brilliant!

I didn't get a text maybe they are done in batches...

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Well done everyone! I got to do it ...just covered up my ridiculous rash and went for it. I hope I'm not in any of those photos!! Did you see spider-man after the race? the sweat patches were so funny :D

I just got a text giving me my time although they aren't showing up online. My chip time was 27mins, I'm a tad disappointed as I've done it in 24, so I was expecting better.

On the upside I'm joining a running club tomorrow ...I'll need all the help I can get through the 10k on the 22nd:eek: what was I thinking!:eek:

Found it online! 38:56 :cool: next goal is definitely sub 30!

Just having a look through the gallery you posted icestorm....by God it's like looking for a needle in a haystack :D pity they don't have the option of finding you through your bib number.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Well done with the 5k ladies

Yeah Candy Girl, there are so many pics that I thought it was inevitable that I'd be in one, but finding it wasn't easy!

I could rule out some based on the time they were taken, then I had a quick scan through and recognised some people who I'd been running near to.

Unfortunately, the pics of me are far from flattering and I look like I'm walking! Was nice to see all the same! :)

I'm sorry I even looked now...I was convinced it wasn't me,& it was a Man :o:D

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    I'm sorry I even looked now...I was convinced it wasn't me,& it was a Man :o:D

LOL I dread the email with the link to the photos. I look like Super Mario. I've given serious consideration to my marathon outfit already and its 3 months away.

• Advertisement

Now that I have internet again I'm trawling through these >>

ellie_sun wrote: »
    LOL I dread the email with the link to the photos. I look like Super Mario. I've given serious consideration to my marathon outfit already and its 3 months away.

Haha I know how you feel, I'm never wearing a headband and sunglasses again!! Although I'm rolling around laughing at the photos of myself, they will never be shown to anyone else :D

Have you been running long ellie_sun? I can't imaging surviving a marathon.

I'm thinking of signing up to this in November just to keep me going, I can imaging it will be very cold & pissing rain!

I'm thinking of signing up to this in November just to keep me going, I can imaging it will be very cold & pissing rain!

Oooh good idea!

Haha I know how you feel, I'm never wearing a headband and sunglasses again!! Although I'm rolling around laughing at the photos of myself, they will never be shown to anyone else :D

Have you been running long ellie_sun? I can't imaging surviving a marathon.

I started in march last year. I lived near central park and everyone was mad into running and looked amazing so I thought I would take it up. The first few months were pure torture, I couldn't run for more than a few mins without stopping, but I made it up to a half by August. I still won't set any land speed records put it that way!

Races are great for motivation. I've done a few Irish ones since I've been home and they're great. I might do that 10k if I can walk straight after the marathon!

One race I did sent me a video of the few mins up to crossing the line. I played it on repeat for an hour and was roaring laughing at the state of me, total cringe. They wanted me to buy it for 30 bucks. Eh no thank you, please destroy it immediately.

I started Bridge to 10k today!

First day was four 10min runs with 1min walks in between. I did it, but I was quite slow. I find it so much easier to run further than run faster! Now I have a new record for distance that I can work on improving, yay! :)

Seems all these apps have different routines, I've gone back to do the 5k to 10k..this one is different to the last one which I was finding hard.

D2W1 5 X 8mins runs followed by a 1min rests . I found yesterday tough but today was a good one, took it at an easy pace and really enjoyed it. The knees are a wee bit sore so I'm going to give them a bit of a massage to see if it helps.

I'm trying to do combinations of sprinting intervals, even slower longer runs, and my "normal" 5k speed for about 5k, mix it up...
    Once I get better at 5k I will work on 10k a bit

It's been quiet in here lately! I had nearly a week off - a few days of rest for my sore legs and a few days of laziness! :pac:

Back at it today and true to form, after my rest I had a terrible day! Four 10 minute runs again - I had a stitch for the entire 3rd run (well "run" is being a bit generous!) and my Garmin battery died as I started my last run so I had to estimate 10 minutes.

It was one of those days where it was just an achievement to complete it, which I did so I can't complain. And I feel good now for going out after a lazy weekend. :)

I did 5.3k on saturday and then some hill sprints after. I was having difficulty walking yesterday my poor hips :p
    I'll have to go again this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I feel like I'm kinda "stuck" at 30 minutes, I'm finding it really hard to do runs longer than that. Should I just keep doing 30 minutes until I'm more comfortable before moving to longer runs?

Advertisement