Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accomodation for 2009/2010

• 08-01-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭

I thought it would be a good idea to have an accomodation thread for next year.

First years should be aware that if they want to stay in any of the popular student accomodation for second year they will need to book soon.

Here we could compare prices, share experiences from last year etc to help us choose where to stay next year.

Rent is down by 10% or more nationally, is anyone going to haggle with private landlords for a discount? Will prices go down in other student accomodation? Or will demand still be high enough close to the University that they will still charge extortionate prices?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I was thinking of going into Castlewhite next year, despite it's pejorative nickname...

Anyone care to share much of what it's like there?
    Most importantly, how much is the laundry cost? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

I was wondering if I could get a bit of advice from UCC students here. Would people recommend getting a house with some of my friends or would I be better off going into student accomodation in first year. At the moment I don't know who I'm gonna live with. 2 girls are asking me to live with them but they want to get a house. This amoung a few other things has stopped me from deciding. I've a mate in 2nd year there and he said I'd be better off going into student acc. in first year cos it would allow me to get to know people better etc

What do ye think? I need to decide who I'm living with in the next few weeks cos peope are gonna be booking accomodation. Any advice is welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I would say student accom for first year definately, as all your neighbours etc will be students, much easier to meet people I feel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Castlewhite is not the nicest admittedly, but its a lot cheaper than most of the other accommodation... the one major gripe I have with it is the bathroom...the shower is basically a hole in the ground. it's like something out of the stone age... apart from that, they're nice and small and comfortable and about as close to campus as its possible to get.

I'd recommend going into student accom but then that's because I have such positive experience. I live in victoria mills, about ten minutes from campus. I didn't know any of my roommates before I moved in this year, but they're all lovely. A lot of my friends have had mixed experiences but in general management in places are quite accommodating, especially if you're in first year. College accommodation is brilliant for making new friends, if you're lucky you'll get lovely roommates ---> new circle of friends outside those you'll meet in your course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

Lucas10101 wrote: »
    I was thinking of going into Castlewhite next year, despite it's pejorative nickname...

Anyone care to share much of what it's like there?
    Most importantly, how much is the laundry cost? :)

€5 for wash and dry. The machines take a fairly big load.

I think it's a great place to live, maybe not as modern as some of the others but the rooms are bigger than in lots of places and you're practically living on campus.

Also I'd go for college accommodation in first year, especially if you don't know who you're sharing with. You're more likely to be in with other first years and I think it's hard to go to a house with strangers in case there's problems with paying bills etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

Hi guys, couple of questions about accommodation here!

Me and 2 friends intend on booking Victoria Mills ASAP

1. Can we book it now, or does booking only start at a certain date?
    2. Is it possible to book it in such a way that we will be together?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rebel105

If your going to be starting college and won't know anybody or have any close friends coming with you, I would say student accom, you'll be with other people in the same boat, in some places they try and match you with people doing similar courses and it generally gives you a ready made set of friends, up to a point anyway! the only thing i would be wary of is to still make an effort make friends with people in your class, go out with them etc even if you do make good friends in student accom.

if you do have people that you feel you know well enuf to share with, then thers nothing wrong with a house either. it is great craic...as long as you share with the like-minded people, that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Hi guys, couple of questions about accommodation here!

Me and 2 friends intend on booking Victoria Mills ASAP

1. Can we book it now, or does booking only start at a certain date?
    2. Is it possible to book it in such a way that we will be together?

Ring now and find out, I've no idea when booking starts but it can't hurt to give Vic Mills a ring.
    Don't know if you'll be taken together, someone here might know or again, ask if you ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I was told that Castlewhite bookings will take place on Monday March 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

Although i live at home, i know plenty of people in Vic Lodge and they all love it.

People there are very friendly from those ive met anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shiverz

Ah I just posted on another thread, but this one seems far more relevant -

I'm looking for any feedback on University Hall, I'm thinking of booking it for the 09/10 Academic Year. I did my undergrad in UCC but that was over 5 years ago, and I lived in private rented accomm. I'm leaning towards dorms this year just for the convenience of it. I remember how basic CW was back in 03.. so eh.. yeah... was hoping that Uni Hall would be the better option, albeit the pricier one.

Also, is it true the gym is free now for UCC students?! Wow!! Back in my day we had to pay... (listen to the old-timer...) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rebel105

yip the gym is now free for everyone! well they did increase registration fees to pay for it, so free might not be the best way to describe it!
    i havent lived in uni hall but iv been there and it is pretty nice and very convenient with centra, dimarions etc etc. havent heard anyone complain about it so id say if your willing to pay for it, it would be good! i dont think you get parking tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shiverz

Yeah, I noticed that there's no parking alright, but there's free parking at the Mardyke and at Dennehy's Cross so I presume I'll be able to use those. Worst case scenario my Mum lives in Kinsale so I can just leave the car there during the week. Won't need it much if I'm living so close to campus.

shiverz wrote: »
    Yeah, I noticed that there's no parking alright, but there's free parking at the Mardyke and at Dennehy's Cross so I presume I'll be able to use those.

Free parking at Dennehy's Cross I'm sure.
    You'll be able to get a bus in aswell, on UCC's Park&Ride system.
    Don't know how far Dennehy's Cross is, a friend told me this before!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Don't know how far Dennehy's Cross is, a friend told me this before!

10 minutes walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

I was thinking of University Hall too, or the village. Anybody have any idea of the size of the rooms? Because Vic Lodge's sitting rooms/kitchens are way smaller than in Castlewhite.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Emma08

Does anyone know what forms of payment are accepted when your sending the deposit for brookfield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ahyeah

Where is University Hall? It must have been built since I left in 06.

I've heard rent is gone down on a lot of the houses in the UCC area, is this true? Going back next year as a mature student.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

ahyeah wrote: »
    Where is University Hall? It must have been built since I left in 06.

I've heard rent is gone down on a lot of the houses in the UCC area, is this true? Going back next year as a mature student.
    It is at Victoria Cross, right beside Victoria Mills

I would imagine that rent won't drop too much as the same demand for the accomodation is there as before

Anyone know when they are taking bookings in University Hall?

ahyeah wrote: »

My landlord put up rent by five euro for gas. Didn't mind at all considering it was relatively cheap anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

I would appreciate any advice regarding good post-graduate accomodation, as I am due to commence my studies in Cork in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

I was thinking of University Hall too, or the village. Anybody have any idea of the size of the rooms? Because Vic Lodge's sitting rooms/kitchens are way smaller than in Castlewhite.

I lived in Vic Lodge in first year and in Uni Hall then for the last two years.

The bedrooms are very similar, no difference in size really. The kitchen is much bigger in Uni Hall though. Not that hard when you consider that Vic Lodge's living area is tiny. Plus you get leather sofa's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

It is at Victoria Cross, right beside Victoria Mills

I would imagine that rent won't drop too much as the same demand for the accomodation is there as before

Anyone know when they are taking bookings in University Hall?

Usually they tell current residents when booking begins but I ain't heard nothing from them yet.

http://www.ucccampusaccommodation.com/stu.asp

3rd of March according to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dindinium

Hey can tell me which ucc accommodation apartments are the best and nicest . I don't mind the price.
    Whats The Village , Mardyke Hall, victoria Mills, Castlewhite Apartments, University Hall , Victoria Lodge, Abbey Wharf, Seven North wall or Dean's hall like??
    What's staff like and internet and living area???

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KevL

@dindinium: I'm in the exact same situation, just need to find out what I can afford and whats the best!

Also, anyone know if first years can go into University Hall, or if Vic Lodge is first years only? Any recommendations between the two?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

KevL wrote: »
    @dindinium: I'm in the exact same situation, just need to find out what I can afford and whats the best!

Also, anyone know if first years can go into University Hall, or if Vic Lodge is first years only? Any recommendations between the two?

Cheers

University Hall is much better, everyone gets a double bed. But its not for first years. Victoria Lodge is nice too, although the rooms are a bit too small. They're grand though. It's most likely where I'll be next year ifI do go to UCC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Brookfield yet. Apart from castlewhite its the closest student accom to campus, has a shop, gym, pool, bar and is nice and green with its trees and lawns and such.

Its the most social of the student accoms aswell, especially in 1st/2nd year. I'm in my third year now and i've lived nowhere else. Considering its final year next year i'm gonna move down to the quieter Jennings Pool apartments in Brookfield rather then the houses which i have been living in.

So theres great options there be it the craic in Brookfield houses or the peace and quiet in Jennings Pool apartments in Brookfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rachel666

Was just wondering which accommodation is better - victoria mills or university hall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 caolanmc

hi im just writing to ask someone, im looking to move out fairly soon, at the minute i live with my dad but want to get somewhere, id love to know any1 looking for accommodation with any1 in derry, i was looking at rockmilss, but do you have to be at a uni to move there, im currently at the tech... and does any1 know a price? wb please,
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Casper89

i'm with dindinium, what accomm has the best reputation amoung students? for first years?

seeing a lot of mention of victoria lodge, though i'm concerned about the comments about the size of the rooms:p
    is it a very noticeable difference from other accomms?

Advertisement