Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top of the morning to you

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

wazky wrote: »
    Its actually, "Top o the morn ta ya".

Reminds me of this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Why did the leprechaun wear 2 condoms?

To be sure, to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

I use it sometimes.
    Thought it was an American saying though?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Ive said it (with extra strong irish accent) to foreigners after requests. Good way of breaking the ice etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bullhits

Play up to the stereotype. Tell them if they say "Top of the morning" again you'll plant a bomb under their car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 nineteen66

A bit off topic but big changes in the 54 years since my father first arrival in deepest deepest kerry

Himself and the mother were collected by the grandfather in a sidecar from station , and taken to the house with no running water or electricity.

Amazing how you could get on a train in Manchester and end up 24 hours later two miles from the house in Kerry

Weird thing about it was my mothers aunt remembered his grandfather doing tours of inspection of the coast guard during WW1
    My aunt brought her new husband ,an Englishman home to Ireland for the first time in the 1940's to visit her mother.After the "tea"he asked his new wife where the toilet was.She brought him out to the back door and opened it .There's 36 acres out there,pick your spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Jakers, there's a bomb in me potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

nineteen66 wrote: »
    My aunt brought her new husband ,an Englishman home to Ireland for the first time in the 1940's to visit her mother.After the "tea"he asked his new wife where the toilet was.She brought him out to the back door and opened it .There's 36 acres out there,pick your spot!

Yes but to be fair my old fella grew up during the war in a two up two down house in the middle of Stockport, one family down stairs and one family upstairs shared facilities and kitchen.

NO wondered he loved going to his granny in Dublin during the summer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

I find a lot of my British friends say this to me a lot and are usually surprised when i tell them that i never use that greeting and I don't know anyone who does either.

Which makes me wonder does anyone in Ireland use this greeting? Does anyone here on Boards greet people with "Top of the morning" or know anyone who does?

For a greeting that seems to be strongly linked with Ireland for foreigners it doesn't seemed to get used a lot here.

Its used as an insult, to belittle the Irish. I would say get new friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

When I lived abroad a lot of English people said it to me,It was said in jest and I would just wink at them and tell them its a soft day thank God. no matter what the wether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I find a lot of my British friends say this to me a lot and are usually surprised when i tell them that i never use that greeting and I don't know anyone who does either.

Thankfully, I spent 10 years living in London and I never heard that greeting once.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

realies wrote: »
    When I lived abroad a lot of English people said it to me,It was said in jest and I would just wink at them and tell them its a soft day thank God. no matter what the wether.

I take top of the morning in good spirit but will whack Keith Lemon if he said potato to me, and my mates know not to say that to me

Advertisement