Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

krudler wrote: »
    Delighted the Zweihander is back, was my go to sword on my first build. i did see some footage of the bonfire being lit and a boss fight and it all looked much more stable and fluid, even the bonfire has a nice lightning/ember effect.

I hope there's plenty of daytime areas as well though I like how much of DS1 isn't set in complete darkness.

Is that the giant f*ck off sword you get at the graveyard? Legged it for my life through there, got that and the winged spear. That sword looks class, just a few more levels to use it. Then I killed some merchant to get his Katana. Then I woke up a dragon for a nifty dragon shield. Think I'm prepared enough to look for some bells to ring it for God knows why :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Is that the giant f*ck off sword you get at the graveyard? Legged it for my life through there, got that and the winged spear. That sword looks class, just a few more levels to use it. Then I killed some merchant to get his Katana. Then I woke up a dragon for a nifty dragon shield. Think I'm prepared enough to look for some bells to ring it for God knows why :)

That's it indeed, its needs 24 strength to wield it one handed if I remember right but you can two hand it earlier than that. If you two hand a weapon you get a strength increase so can hold heavy weapons and do more damage. It's a brilliant weapon when you get the timing down right, two handed and with a heavy attack you deliver this big overhead swing that knocks nearly everything off their feet. Makes mincemeat of hollows in one hit and you can add lightning/fire/poison to it. Once it's up to level 10 or more you'll be doing crazy amounts of damage with it. did you fight a Black Knight yet? you'll be twatting them in one hit.

Not sure how blind you want to play it but since I learned the hard way about classes and where to level up. Vitality, Endurance, Dexterity and Strength are where it counts most if you want to use melee weapons. don't bother with Resistance at all, it's utterly useless as you get tons of shields, armour and items that boost that along the way.

Dexterity is the absolute job if you're using a melee weapon as a lot of them scale with it, meaning the more hits you land the higher the damage, that katana you now have is a fantastic dexterity weapon and it causes bleeding damage too which a lot of enemies are susceptible to. You'll be coming to an area in a bit where there's knight enemies that drop the Balder Side Sword.

Use.
    That.
    Mother****er.

It's hard to find and you might have to spend a while respawning them for one to drop but good jesus, it's a wrecking machine once you bump it up a few levels.

Haha class sound man! No Black Knight yet, just went out from Fire Link Shrine (think that's the name) in a few different directions to get some items. Gonna start back at the shrine tonight and head to the undead Burgh. I tried to swing that sword already, was hilarious. Another couple of levels and I can 2 hand it. Cheers for the advice, will pump up those stats. Started as Hunter so fairly high Dex starting off as well.

Haha class sound man! No Black Knight yet, just went out from Fire Link Shrine (think that's the name) in a few different directions to get some items. Gonna start back at the shrine tonight and head to the undead Burgh. I tried to swing that sword already, was hilarious. Another couple of levels and I can 2 hand it. Cheers for the advice, will pump up those stats. Started as Hunter so fairly high Dex starting off as well.

That's a decent Dex class so you're on the right track, you can learn spells and stuff later but tbh I find melee classes way more fun.
    The levels give diminishing returns once you hit level 40 in any stat so there's no real need to bump them past that. I'm doing a dexterity build at the mo and have dex at 35, vitality the same and endurance at 31 I think, dodge all the attacks.
    Keep your equipment load light too so leather armour rather than heavy metal stuff but you can mix and match between things. and only one weapon and shield at a time as having two in your inventory slows you down.

This forum is a godsend for newbies I only got the game back in October and there's tons of info on here that's invaluable for new players. some things you'll learn the hard way though :D

Never happier to see a bon fire! In the Undead Burg, came across a Black Knight and got taken out so I took your advice Krudler and a few slaps of ol' Zeffy took care of him nice and quick. Then in a spiral tower, I opened a door with the master key and headed down. Another big fool with a club, no problem! After one hit killing me through my shield, I figured I'd let him off this time. Then onto the Taurus Demon, used gold resin on Zeffy and surprised how easily I dispatched him, didn't even take a hit. Mad it half way across the bridge and found the 1st bonfire. Now I'm just sitting looking at the lovely flames.

Brilliant so far, tense but brilliant.

Edit: Bye bye Zeffy, you have been replaced by Drake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Never happier to see a bon fire! In the Undead Burg, came across a Black Knight and got taken out so I took your advice Krudler and a few slaps of ol' Zeffy took care of him nice and quick. Then in a spiral tower, I opened a door with the master key and headed down. Another big fool with a club, no problem! After one hit killing me through my shield, I figured I'd let him off this time. Then onto the Taurus Demon, used gold resin on Zeffy and surprised how easily I dispatched him, didn't even take a hit. Mad it half way across the bridge and found the 1st bonfire. Now I'm just sitting looking at the lovely flames.

oh how I wish I was you , so I could start dark souls again without knowning anything :(
    enjoy it , its worth every hour you put into it :D roll on dark souls 2!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Don't do it! The Drake Sword is a pile of poo! Go Zweihander if you're thinking of a strength build, the Uchigatana or Balder Side Sword if you're planning a dexterity build. You'll be able to upgrade them soon at the blacksmith, so it's better to get comfortable with their movesets. The Drake Sword will only mess you up for a short period of time.

Did you find the shortcut back to the Burg bonfire? it's under the bridge where the dragon is. That spot is dead handy for farming souls early on, if you run up onto the bridge then about turn quickly and back down the stairs the dragon will roast all the enemies and you get 500+ souls at a time, sit at the bonfire, respawn them, rinse and repeat.
    It's handy for bumping up a few levels when it's costing 2-3k souls per level up early on. Killing the dragon gets you 10,000 but at this point it's handy to have the farming spot at that point and kill it later when you're more powerful and can take it out in a few hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I've never once managed to kill that dragon, always just one shots me even at level 120 with the best fire resistant armour and shield I have. Do you actually get anything for killing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

The levels give diminishing returns once you hit level 40 in any stat so there's no real need to bump them past that.

If you're going caster route levelling dex to 45 increases cast speed. It stops after that. So other than also Vit and End, don't both levelling anything past 40.

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    I've never once managed to kill that dragon, always just one shots me even at level 120 with the best fire resistant armour and shield I have. Do you actually get anything for killing it?

10,000 souls and a humanity I think. If you have a high dex weapon like the Uchi then two hand it and batter it's legs when it lands. If you stand at the wall near the stairs while it's perched then eventually it will land right in front of you, just hack away at its legs and get under it when it turns otherwise it'll fly up and roast everything.

Don't do it! The Drake Sword is a pile of poo! Go Zweihander if you're thinking of a strength build, the Uchigatana or Balder Side Sword if you're planning a dexterity build. You'll be able to upgrade them soon at the blacksmith, so it's better to get comfortable with their movesets. The Drake Sword will only mess you up for a short period of time.

Really? I got a Balder Side Sword and my last save was at the blacksmith in undead parish so deciding whether to level it up or not. The Drake sword is 1/2 hitting most things and looks like the Soul Caliber sword! Not sure whether to focus now on the Balder or the Uchigatana...

Did you find the shortcut back to the Burg bonfire? .

Yupp, that was very handy alright! Ran past the dragon and he flew away. Found another nice shortcut elevator back to firelink. Freed Knight Lautrec but that guy sounds dodgy out, think I'll regret that one.

Really? I got a Balder Side Sword and my last save was at the blacksmith in undead parish so deciding whether to level it up or not. The Drake sword is 1/2 hitting most things and looks like the Soul Caliber sword! Not sure whether to focus now on the Balder or the Uchigatana...

Yupp, that was very handy alright! Ran past the dragon and he flew away. Found another nice shortcut elevator back to firelink. Freed Knight Lautrec but that guy sounds dodgy out, think I'll regret that one.

Honestly, I prefer the Uchi, it does gigantic damage once you get it up to level 10+ The Balder sword is amazing as well though, use both of them sure. It'll be a while before you can get them to level 10 and 15 as you need some items for that. Any wiki will have a weapon leveling guide if you need tips on it and how the scaling works.

The Uchi looks better and has nice attacks, okay, gonna pump it up a few levels. Can't you sell weapons at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The Uchi looks better and has nice attacks, okay, gonna pump it up a few levels. Can't you sell weapons at all?

Sorta. When you ring both bells a certain someone (or more appropriately thing) comes along that you can "feed" all the crap you've accumulated over the hours for souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Harps wrote: »

If you manage to run past him to the Altar don't run in just stay left on the bridge, there's a safe spot from the fire, let him walk towards you and he'll glitch. When he does he just stands there letting you smash him >_> :pac:

Sorta. When you ring both bells a certain someone (or more appropriately thing) comes along that you can "feed" all the crap you've accumulated over the hours for souls.

Cool thanks, have some amount of crap building up. Demons Souls really put me off this for so long but I'm finding this a much much better game.

Sort later on but to little reward. Honestly I just dump stuff I'm not using, you probably have a rake of hollow armor and shields and stuff, dump it all it's pointless. Keep the decent stuff as it just reduces the time it takes to assign weapons in a rush if you're doing it on the fly.

Are you staying hollow or human? being human means you can be invaded by other players but you can summon too, and summoning is where the fun is. It's great getting an NPC or two other actual players to come along on a boss fight but it can make things a bit too easy, depends entirely on the boss though. I stayed hollow a lot on my first playthrough and missed out on a lot of stuff because of it.

regarding Lautrec, you can look up what his story is if you want but if you're avoiding spoilers and want to play it blind there's a side mission involving him, that's all I'm saying. once you rescue him he's sitting near the bonfire at firelink down the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hated looking at that thing. What a hideous creature.

Would love to know what kind of narcotics the game artist was on when he was designing that.

Yeah, a pain looking for a quick weapon to equip, gonna dump em so. I haven't used humanity yet, afraid of being invaded :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah, a pain looking for a quick weapon to equip, gonna dump em so. I haven't used humanity yet, afraid of being invaded :o

Its half the fun.

I can't wait for servers in DS2 and possibiity it will actually work properly!

The first time you take out some fool who invades you is one of the best moments to be had in it :D don't forget to hit select (its it on ps3) and throw out a taunt once you kill him.

Haha right so, turning human tonight! Any sign that DS2 will be on PS4?

Haha right so, turning human tonight! Any sign that DS2 will be on PS4?

I don't think they've any plans for it, certainly not at launch, never know though.

Being human is fun, it's a handy way to get souls too, if you met Solair on the bridge with the red dragon he gives you a summon soapstone, if you leave that near bonfires or outside where bosses you fought where then other players can call you into their game to help, you get 50% of the souls they get for defeating the boss and 1 humanity so it's a handy way to level up. If you made it to the Parish there's a high traffic summon/invasion spot right outside the church where there's an archer hollow and two other guys, right along the path to the blacksmith.

The random stuff that happens during invasions is hilarious, I got summoned into a guys game with another player and while the three of us were plodding along some guy invaded , he spotted that he'd just invaded a game with not one but three people to take on and legged it lol

Right, so rang the bell of the Parish, paid 10 grand to be absolved of sins which I didn't even commit, Killed Havel the Rock, headed to Darkroot Basin and failed many times fighting the Hydra dragon (really need soul arrow or buy more regular arrows), Legged it through darkroot Garden picking up the wolf ring and elite armour and killed the butterfly with the help of a nice witch.

Gave a divine ember to Andre but not exactly sure what it did?

I'm heading for the Depths next for the 2nd bell. Should I try buy the crest off Andre first for that door in the Garden?

Is there anything past the hydra dragon or is there just for items/souls?

Any other merchants around beside undead merchant male as I killed him for his sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

It allows you to upgrade a +5 weapon to a Divine weapon. Scales best with faith
    I'm heading for the Depths next for the 2nd bell. Should I try buy the crest off Andre first for that door in the Garden?

Not yet.

Yes.
    Any other merchants around beside undead merchant male as I killed him for his sword.

Yes.

Right, so rang the bell of the Parish, paid 10 grand to be absolved of sins which I didn't even commit, Killed Havel the Rock, headed to Darkroot Basin and failed many times fighting the Hydra dragon (really need soul arrow or buy more regular arrows), Legged it through darkroot Garden picking up the wolf ring and elite armour and killed the butterfly with the help of a nice witch.

The Depths is a pain in the hole but it's a great spot for farming humanity as there's loads of rats down there that drop it and enemies that drop titanite shards for upgrading weapons.

The Hydra is something you need a particular item to fight to make it much easier. We can tell you what and where if you're stuck but if you want to use a wiki or play it blind work away, it's not something obvious though I would have never figured it out without a wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

you can kill the hydra with a sword with a bit of dodging , you need to go into the water past the rock and wait for him to land the heads on the ground and then chop away. if you are still stuck have a look at youtube, it's easier than you think to kill it !!!

2smiggy wrote: »
    you can kill the hydra with a sword with a bit of dodging , you need to go into the water past the rock and wait for him to land the heads on the ground and then chop away. if you are still stuck have a look at youtube, it's easier than you think to kill it !!!

Indeed, the heads all land in the same place so just keep an eye and dodge, getting to it is the hard part with the golems and the white crap it's shooting at you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Indeed, the heads all land in the same place so just keep an eye and dodge, getting to it is the hard part with the golems and the white crap it's shooting at you.

at least his magic takes out the golems too :pac:

Advertisement