Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guild Wars 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dcully wrote: »
    Got bored of GW2 once i hit lvl 80 pretty rapid tbh.
    Apart from WvW i found little else to do and wvw itself got boring pretty quick, nothing more than zerg-fest imo.
    Having said that i thoroughly enjoyed leveling up which is a feat in itself for an mmo.

i quited at level 14 to be honest. lovely looking game, but i just dont feel connection with it... i jumped to eve online and i feel connection! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Got bored of GW2 once i hit lvl 80 pretty rapid tbh.
    Apart from WvW i found little else to do and wvw itself got boring pretty quick, nothing more than zerg-fest imo.
    Having said that i thoroughly enjoyed leveling up which is a feat in itself for an mmo.

There is alot of people getting bored and leaving for the short-term at least at 80, but Its more people who wanted gw2 to be wow but with bells on and not the fact gw2 isn't what was promised tbh, I'm not saying it was same for you but out of the few I know who have left it was the same, they had that mentality that gw2 was gona be a pve endgame game where it ate all their PC time and had the grind/treadmill that they are used to from games like wow.

Was never gona be, you could tell from the early betas that endgame was really gona be casual lvling of alts, exploration, doing runs with friends but not in a way where you gota do 10 runs in 2 days to get X item, but more just to do them for the challenge, and ofc PVP. Be it sPVP or WvW.
    I and most I started playing with intended WvW to be the endgame for us, as again it was clear thats what Anet had in mind for the time being, esp when raids weren't inc. Be bit naive to think otherwise.
    And funny enough the ones who knew from the get go that the endgame was not gona be like wows, or rifts or lotro's and was instead what Anet said it would be, and had a very 'casual' feel to it, are still playing away and enjoying it alot :)

I can bet that 9/10 of the people that have left or ragequit and the likes for GW2s endgame not being what they wanted, have gone straight back to WoW. They will say they didnt leave cause gw2 wasn't like wow and thats not the reason, but they will go straight back and resub to it, you can bet on it, creatures of habit don't like leaving comfort zones, way of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well, like every MMO, endgame is the deciding factor for it to be succesfull or not.

And it appears, after maxing a character, the only thing to do is PVP. Obviously all of us were completely dissapointed, as so does the most prominant streamers.

Needless to say we have all quit and gone back to WoW, pity, was a good levelling experience, some really good ideas, but as usual, an MMO developer focuses on the levelling experience thinking thats the core, when in fact, its only what is at endgame.

At this stage, levelling is a nuisance for anyone who has played a previous MMO.

Unfortunately developers just arnt copping onto this

Dcully and Kiith notch up another "Flavour of the month correctly identified"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

TheDoc wrote: »

Couldnt you add yourself to that list too?

As for hoping or expecting it was a wow replacement,never in a million years.
    Pretty much everyone knew GW2 was not about pve endgame,no surprise there at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bollox to that.

This is far better then a flavour of the moment mmo. I never said this was a Warcraft killer, and said quite a few times that it was a PvP focussed game. And in that regard, it pisses all over Warcraft. There are many many things that this game does better then Warcraft, or any other mmo out there. Endgame PvE just isn't one of them. Which is fine by me, as i've no interest whatsoever in endgame PvE (nor do a lot of people still playing GW2).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

GW2 isn't aimed for the endgame PvE.

you either like PvP or you don't. or your PC can't handle it, i've seen numerous complaints about fps but it boils down to low endpc's and the not the game itself. i've done half my lvls through WvW and thoroughly enjoy it - well apart from the 0 intelligence when ppl zerg up- oh look a gate lets smash it only do get oiled/cannoned/arrow to oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Alright, I haven't gotten to level 80 yet, but I have to ask those that have and say they're bored with the game now, have ye actually completed the game? Done all the map hearts, skill points and so on, done all the dungeons, done all the jumping puzzles? Or have ye just hit level 80 and felt there was no need to play anymore as experience was no longer needed?
    This game isn't about getting to 80 as fast as possible, it's about having fun while you're getting there. And the fact that you are dynamically leveled down whenever you go into an area, it means you won't be going to new areas and cleaving through everything easily, even if they are starter areas.
    And on top of that, there are 8 professions to play through as well. The reason my main Ranger has been so slow at levelling recently is because I created a Norn Guardian, and the difference in style of play, as well as the racial differences, have sucked me in once again.
    Nothing to do at level 80? The rest of the map!:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I just think that some people prefer the traditional holy trinity dungeon grind (i don't mean that in a bad way) system that Warcraft has, over what GW2 has.

yeah endless raids with their own leeroy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Well, like every MMO, endgame is the deciding factor for it to be succesfull or not.

And it appears, after maxing a character, the only thing to do is PVP. Obviously all of us were completely dissapointed, as so does the most prominant streamers.

Needless to say we have all quit and gone back to WoW, pity, was a good levelling experience, some really good ideas, but as usual, an MMO developer focuses on the levelling experience thinking thats the core, when in fact, its only what is at endgame.

At this stage, levelling is a nuisance for anyone who has played a previous MMO.

Unfortunately developers just arnt copping onto this

But there is an endgame.... just not the endgame you want. GW2 is going to be around a long time imo and will be the game of choice for PvP mmo players. WAR online, AoC etc all failed where GW2 has succeeded. For me personally this has been the best game I have played since DAoC with the most potential longevity.

People who want endgame Raid PvE should stick with WoW and the new expansion MoP... not sure what they were expecting from GW2 in the first place.. it does exactly what it says on the tin. Kinda backwards to be moaning about the game for things it was never meant to be

• Advertisement

Playboy wrote: »
    Kinda backwards to be moaning about the game for things it was never meant to be

well said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

With all do respect there is a lot to do at level 80. Only you have to make fun for yourself, GW2 doesn't hand it all to you on a silver platter. How do people have fun in EvE or Minecraft or World of Tanks. My son is still playing Skyrim and having fun moding it. Dungeons are influenced by dynamic events. So with eight dungeons providing at least thirty-three different experiences. How is that not end game. I did a few over the weekend and they weren't tank and spank. It breaks away from the holy trinity and those mechanics and tries something new. I'm finding it more tactical. Things like well timed blocks, skill synergy, and situational awareness can make all the difference between a whipe fest and a fun, fast experience. ArenaNet made a gorgeous and fun game and you can't appreciate it for what it is. In stead you demand treadmill gated endgame, beat it in a month, and then whine and abandon a game for not having enough content. Maybe the problem is that no MMO will ever satisfy you.

With all do respect there is a lot to do at level 80. Only you have to make fun for yourself, GW2 doesn't hand it all to you on a silver platter. How do people have fun in EvE or Minecraft or World of Tanks. My son is still playing Skyrim and having fun moding it. Dungeons are influenced by dynamic events. So with eight dungeons providing at least thirty-three different experiences. How is that not end game. I did a few over the weekend and they weren't tank and spank. It breaks away from the holy trinity and those mechanics and tries something new. I'm finding it more tactical. Things like well timed blocks, skill synergy, and situational awareness can make all the difference between a whipe fest and a fun, fast experience. ArenaNet made a gorgeous and fun game and you can't appreciate it for what it is. In stead you demand treadmill gated endgame, beat it in a month, and then whine and abandon a game for not having enough content. Maybe the problem is that no MMO will ever satisfy you.

Who is this "you" that your referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Who is this "you" that your referring to?

I assume the people who are moaning re lack of endgame PvE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I said about 3 weeks ago that i was extremely disappointed with the endgame, see im not the only one that feels like that now. Really was a horrible decision from the developers not to include endgame raiding and im sure they know it themselves (I think the average concurrent player base has fallen about 60% in the last few weeks, an even sharper/quicker fall than diablo 3 had !).Shame as it had so much potential.

People actually thought the game would have enough activity to warrant its only forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Magill wrote: »
    I said about 3 weeks ago that i was extremely disappointed with the endgame, see im not the only one that feels like that now. Really was a horrible decision from the developers not to include endgame raiding and im sure they know it themselves (I think the average concurrent player base has fallen about 60% in the last few weeks, an even sharper/quicker fall than diablo 3 had !).Shame as it had so much potential.

People actually thought the game would have enough activity to warrant its only forum :D

And yet,as other people on the thread have been saying, they are still enjoying it, and as I myself pointed out earlier, this game isn't about racing to the max level to get to the "real game" as something like WoW seems to be, it's about enjoying the journey. I also think your estimation for the concurrent player base drop off might be a little hyperbolic.

I would however be interested to see what the actual drop off was, from the million pre orders there were to how many regularly play the game now. Obviously, like any new game, there'd be drop off, but I don't think it's as big as you're estimating it to be.

No offense mate but 60% drop rate? reminds me of that famous anchorman line.

Dont belive everything on the forums, We all know or should bloody know that the people vexed and bored and full of rage are the ones who need to be heard, they gota make sure everyone knows how crap or boring or dull the game is, because they feel that way and so should we all.
    There has been a big drop rate but nothing as big as you say, and show me any mmo that hasnt droped numbers after 30days(inc wow at its begining) and Ill give you my cat.

The game was stated as an pvp orientated game, it was never going to have raids or a holy trinity, and it wasnt even going to have levels till they caved into 'conform' to what we are used to. To think you were gona have a constant treadmill pve endgame was daft, and not backed up by any boasts by Anet or anyone, bar maybe your mates trying to hype you :D

Its a F2P game, that promises constant free updates over the next while, If it doesnt have the content to eat your whole evenings then go play something else as alot of you have stated, wow or w.e and fair play to ya's, I can see the lure of other MMOs, esp ones you have a habit/comfort zone in. But to say the game is dying or a FOTM because it isn't what you wanted or had pictured it would be like, is just blabber.

(Fyi I aint a Anet ar$e licker, the game is riddle with bugs and probs and many make me want to punch the wall, but its a great game and to me its pros outweigh its cons, and just kinda tired of reading peoples dooms and glooms because its not WoW2, the logic behind peoples reasoning to the game just baffles me at times)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

You totally missed the whole point of the game. its a pvp endgame game with a pve leveling system ( the best ive seen yet) it is not WoW. WoW is all about pve endgame once u hit max level. GW2 is about pvp endgame. The only people that have left the game are people that misunderstood the direction of the game. IT was never meant to be about pve endgame

Omphin wrote: »
    The only people that have left the game are people that misunderstood the direction of the game. IT was never meant to be about pve endgame

Not true im afraid mate, well atleast not true in my case.
    I did not misunderstand anything about what direction the game would take,infact i said it countless times on this forum what peopel should expect.
    Im a PVE player at heart hence why i said i thoroughly enjoyed the leveling experience in GW2 as they really have nailed the leveling experience.
    Ive never been a pvp fan but GW2 is by far the best pvp experience ive had in an mmo but the fact remains i just get bored of pvp rather quickly,thats not the games fault.
    Running around to explore every heart or poi in the game doesnt interest me at all personally.
    I actually found the poi searching to be tedious by the time i hit lvl 40,but again thats just personal taste.
    Id also like to add that in no way did i rush to lvl 80, it actually took me well over a week to decide on a character to stick with,after that it was the fastest leveling experience ive had in an mmo ,i went from lvl 70-80 in 3 hours one friday night when i got into a group and we just ran around doing heart quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Totally put my hand up.

Went into this without ever playing Guild Wars 1, and barely read up on GW2. And I very much expected there to be PvE content, I wasn't aware it was a full on PvP game when you get to the top.

And I guess it makes sense as the dungeons were pretty weird and didn't feel right, but there was some good group mechanics that I thought I'd get to explore at max level. So yeah, I guess its my fault that I assumed there would be PvE endgame.

Now that I've informed myself, if anything it assures I probably wont ever log in again, which is a pity. There was some good **** there.

PvP just isnt for me, no interest and feel its always more class based then player ability based. And the bit of PvP ( or whatever they call it in GW2) didnt hold my attention one bit.

Also that "60%" is a massive lie, unless there is a reference, but a few lads last night were saying their server looks pretty dead when it was packed, and one of the main Gw2 streamers yesterday afternoon was talking about how quieter it has become.

I know for myself and most of the lads I play with, Gw2 was a filler before WoW, that we hoped to play during WoW downtime, but with no raiding content, we've pretty much shelved it : /

• Advertisement

No offense mate but 60% drop rate? reminds me of that famous anchorman line.

Dont belive everything on the forums, We all know or should bloody know that the people vexed and bored and full of rage are the ones who need to be heard, they gota make sure everyone knows how crap or boring or dull the game is, because they feel that way and so should we all.
    There has been a big drop rate but nothing as big as you say, and show me any mmo that hasnt droped numbers after 30days(inc wow at its begining) and Ill give you my cat.

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

Yeah, i read wrong. It was hours played... still a huge drop (And i know xfire isn't that popular anymore, but its a pretty big sample).
    Omphin wrote: »
    You totally missed the whole point of the game. its a pvp endgame game with a pve leveling system ( the best ive seen yet) it is not WoW. WoW is all about pve endgame once u hit max level. GW2 is about pvp endgame. The only people that have left the game are people that misunderstood the direction of the game. IT was never meant to be about pve endgame

Its a shame i thought the PVP was quite boring aswel, its just serg'ing with very little complexity to it. I never missed the point of the game, i was just disappointed that there was nothing to do when max level.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

A large portion of my guild stopped playing as they got disinterested in playing due to getting stomped in WvW and having to wait a week for the matchmaking to kick in. It was a major slip on the developers part to set up anything longer than 2 or 3 day server rotation while still having free transfers on. The idea of free transfers at any point past beta was a ridiculous one.

One a day is a much better choice, they validated their decision by saying it was to help people whose friends were still selecting a server but really if your friends are swapping server more than once a day they should sort themselves out. Once the servers were more balanced it got a lot more fun but we had lost about have our WvW size at that point. Still having fun with the game, other than leveling to play more story quests is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Not true im afraid mate, well atleast not true in my case.
    I did not misunderstand anything about what direction the game would take,infact i said it countless times on this forum what peopel should expect.
    Im a PVE player at heart hence why i said i thoroughly enjoyed the leveling experience in GW2 as they really have nailed the leveling experience.
    Ive never been a pvp fan but GW2 is by far the best pvp experience ive had in an mmo but the fact remains i just get bored of pvp rather quickly,thats not the games fault.
    Running around to explore every heart or poi in the game doesnt interest me at all personally.
    I actually found the poi searching to be tedious by the time i hit lvl 40,but again thats just personal taste.
    Id also like to add that in no way did i rush to lvl 80, it actually took me well over a week to decide on a character to stick with,after that it was the fastest leveling experience ive had in an mmo ,i went from lvl 70-80 in 3 hours one friday night when i got into a group and we just ran around doing heart quests.

To be fair Cully that really should be "I'm a WoW player at heart". PvE (Player v Environment) IS running around getting 100% map completion as much as it is the WoW style trinity dungeons.

The vast majority of MMO's these days are WoW-clones and have adopted that style of PvE but do not confuse PvE as being this alone. It really annoys me when people think this.

I can understand both sides of the argument on this. GW2 was never about hitting the cap and then having "PvE endgame" open up to the player. The levelling experience was and is the PvE but ultimately the game is based around PvP and I'm fine with that.

What I did initially praise however and what has caused me to stop playing the past few weeks is the lack of the gear threadmil. I thought it would be a great system and have a balanced playing field for sPvP (which is a good idea). But I found PvPing with no reward actually gets quite tedious with nothing to work towards. :o

The dungeons are meh. No trinity is a nice change and can work but the fact you can corpse run pretty much all the content smacks of them not getting the balance or difficulty right at all.

It's still a great game and I have alot of respect for Anet for going their own direction with an MMO, something which should be greatly encouraged as the genre is extremely old and tired at this stage. I will continue to play from time to time (again thanks to their lack of a monthly fee) but I've moved on for now. And no I don't mean back to WoW! :p

To be fair Cully that really should be "I'm a WoW player at heart". PvE (Player v Environment) IS running around getting 100% map completion as much as it is the WoW style trinity dungeons.

I should have made it more clear, Endgame PVE is what im into ie dungeons and raiding :)
    I enjoyed rift,Age of Conan and swtor endgame pve too but there simply wasnt enough of it,thats the only reason i always seem to go back to wow,that and the fact the new expansion arrived around the time i was tiring of GW2.

I dont regret buying GW2, ill play WvW every so often and maybe level an alt.
    I thoroughly enjoyed leveling up,absolutely no reason i wont enjoy another toon or two over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I am done with GW2, I really enjoyed it and got my moneys worth, but it lacks anything to do at lvl 80.

WvWvW is just mindless zerg and there's not real fun in it, the instances didn't float my boat enough to repeat them, and there's not quest to get better gear as you can essentially kit yourself out in the best gear very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭Wossack

Im also on hiatus, but I'll be back

one of the mega plus points of the non-sub model, can drop and resume at will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Wossack wrote: »
    Im also on hiatus, but I'll be back

one of the mega plus points of the non-sub model, can drop and resume at will :)

I think there'll be a lot of people doing that. Get to 80 or so, drop off/re-roll and see where the game goes. If they're not happy with it they can leave it for a while and dip back in whenever they want.

I should have made it more clear, Endgame PVE is what im into ie dungeons and raiding :)
    I enjoyed rift,Age of Conan and swtor endgame pve too but there simply wasnt enough of it,thats the only reason i always seem to go back to wow,that and the fact the new expansion arrived around the time i was tiring of GW2.

I dont regret buying GW2, ill play WvW every so often and maybe level an alt.
    I thoroughly enjoyed leveling up,absolutely no reason i wont enjoy another toon or two over time.

See I really don't think GW2 was trying to fill that void, the get max toon and farm endgame. Just don't think they were aiming for it, and they obv didn't with way game is, I love doing the runs for most part but I'm just not in a place right now where I want to be spending whole evenings farming runs again and again or giving over most my evening to a raid. I did that for a while in lotro and rift, and it was great craic esp if u play with a small cliche of mates but just Ain't stomach for that grind or timesink at the mo, Gw2 suits me to a tee where you can do 1 run a night and do some pvp or lvl an alt or just faff about exploring.
    Casual man/pvpers mmo is what they were aiming for and I still think they got it to a tee. Granted 10 posts of people leaving or going back to wow for shorterm would signal a not perfect game, but I dont think it worries Anet, as Not sure there what they planned their playerbase to be anyways, I think :)

Big Knox wrote: »
    What I did initially praise however and what has caused me to stop playing the past few weeks is the lack of the gear threadmil. I thought it would be a great system and have a balanced playing field for sPvP (which is a good idea). But I found PvPing with no reward actually gets quite tedious with nothing to work towards. :o

The dungeons are meh. No trinity is a nice change and can work but the fact you can corpse run pretty much all the content smacks of them not getting the balance or difficulty right at all.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

:D:D:D

Are you agreeing with me or laughing at me. I'm confused? :P

Advertisement