Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

XBox and Gamecube Cracked?

• 24-05-2002 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,447 ✭✭✭✭

2 interesting stories appeared today on Liksang.
    You already knew that the protection on the XBox has been cracked, but today it emerged that the protection on the gamecube has also been defeated....

GameCube protection defeated - rumor or reality ?
    Fri May 17 2002 00:53:23 Hong Kong Time - GameCube

GameCube protection defeated

After the Xbox has been cracked and several Xbox Mod Chips are on the way for it, there have been lots of rumors of Game Cube Mod Chips or Game Cube being able to play backups even without a Mod Chip.

There is still no proof of this being true, but the source of all those
    rumors are the following three videos.

Time will tell if backup Game Cube games and homebrew Cube software such as a VCD players show up, or if some peoples favourite pastime is making videos after playing Bio Hazard.

If you want to stay up-to-date of any developments, please subscribe to our Product Alert for the GameCube Backup & Import section.

You will need the Windows Media Player in order to play any of the following videos.

More here: http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/news.php?artc=2589

The mod for the XBox is all set to ship next week, apparently. I bet microsoft go apesh1t .....

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Would be fairly funny if the lads who cracked the Xbox had a booth at E3. We'd see another demonstration of the power of the big corps. I'm guessing the PS2 has been cracked already seeing as its been out for a year or has it survived?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Just watched the vidoes of the lads who've cracked it. What bloody tards. Two muppets wearing ski masks and it ends with "all your game cube are belong to us", curious to find out how they did it exactly tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The Xbox has been cracked, yes. Just a simple matter of reverse engineering the protection on the DVDs.

PS2 was cracked ages ago, expect to pay about £120 for the privelige of getting it chipped though - chips are expensive and the soldering is VERY tricky.

GameCube is a nearly impossible prospect. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but right now crackers are utterly stumped by the fact that it uses custom media and can't read normal CDs or DVDs....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Does cracking a game cube mean it can still only play those dwarf disks? Or can you hook a dvd-drive or something onto the bus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

The original videos that appeared on the net where either had claimed they had working copies on either system looked very dodgy.

I dont know for sure, but is the NGC media just a resized DVD or a completely new design?
    I would imagine the latter.

Xbox EWS Style

hacker.jpg

NGC EWS Style

gc_1.jpg
    gc_2.jpg

Fake or not?

• Advertisement

is the NGC media just a resized DVD or a completely new design?

The latter. There are actual chunks of media missing from the internal sectors of the disc (which you couldn't duplicate outside a mastering plant) and the density of pits on the disc is completely different. Try putting a GC disc into a PC - it just shows up as being an empty drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

When the DC first came out I remember hearing the same stuff off some1 that because it used GD Discs it wouldnt be cracked or the Disks copied...
    Fairly Different Story for the DC today...
    I'd say in time the GC will be cracked its like everything..if some1 if dedicated enough then it will happen eventually.

Right, but the point with the DC was that it could read CDs OR GD-ROMs. The GC can't read anything except it's own media.

Yes it'll be cracked eventually, but not with a simple chip. You'll have to entirely replace the drive mechanism on the unit, or plug on some Doctor64 style monstrosity with a hard drive inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Originally posted by Shinji
    Right, but the point with the DC was that it could read CDs OR GD-ROMs. The GC can't read anything except it's own media.

Yes it'll be cracked eventually, but not with a simple chip. You'll have to entirely replace the drive mechanism on the unit, or plug on some Doctor64 style monstrosity with a hard drive inside.

I think this is exactly the point. Nintendo have rather cleverly accepted that an 'uncrackable' console is virtually impossible but by virtue of the hardware limits they have ensured that widespread piracy of PS/Dreamcast levels can't practically happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had to wait an hour to watch some twat swearing in a foreign language and sticking his fingers up at a nintendo sign! still doesn't really prove anything

• Advertisement
Advertisement