Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5x5 Stronglifts program advice

• 01-10-2015 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi all. So basically I want to start going to the gym regularly to build up muscle and strength. I asked for opinions/recommendations on a good gym program and a lot of people suggested the 5x5 stronglifts program.

I decided that I am going to use this program and I hope to start in the next couple of weeks. I am a 21 year old male who weighs just over 70kg and have a height of 6ft 1

I would just like to gain some information from people who have used and are currently using this program.

-Do you have any tips or advice before I begin?
    -Are there any articles or pieces I should read before beginning?
    -Any videos I could watch to gain some more important knowledge?
    -What type of supplements should I invest in before I begin?
    -And finally, is this a good program to use and is it beneficial?

All feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Hi all. So basically I want to start going to the gym regularly to build up muscle and strength. I asked for opinions/recommendations on a good gym program and a lot of people suggested the 5x5 stronglifts program.

I decided that I am going to use this program and I hope to start in the next couple of weeks. I am a 21 year old male who weighs just over 70kg and have a height of 6ft 1

I would just like to gain some information from people who have used and are currently using this program.

-Do you have any tips or advice before I begin?
    -Are there any articles or pieces I should read before beginning?
    -Any videos I could watch to gain some more important knowledge?
    -What type of supplements should I invest in before I begin?
    -And finally, is this a good program to use and is it beneficial?

All feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

All feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Well done. Absolutely brilliant program. I’m currently doing the Madcow intermediate version of it. Basically the same but I increase the weight every week instead of 3 times a week like you do in the stronglifts. Best program I’ve ever done.

1. Nope, just do exactly what the programs says. Do not alter it in any way. Also start light, its gets very difficult very quickly.
    2. Read the stronglifts website. It’s available for free to download. http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    3. You can video yourself and ask someone around here to check your form to what you are doing wrong.
    4. None, I sometimes use protein shakes but they’re not important. The most important thing is that you are eating enough calories. Download ‘myfitness pal’ app and track your calories. I currently eat about 3000-3200 cal a day.
    5. Extremely good program. Will build enormous strength in a short space of time. Great physique, great for sports etc. It also teaches your great form on all your big lifts.

Overall great program. It’s also very taxing on the body doing so many compound lifts but you get great results. There’s a reason why its one of the most popular routines around. It gets great reviews. Just stick to the program and eat enough calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,487 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

There have been a few threads in the past on this. In general, it's a bit of jack-of-all-trades program and isn't optimal for anything. But if you are a complete beginner and want to get bigger and stronger, it is grand. Loads of resources out there for it.

I'd recommending 2-3 sessions with a PT to make sure you get the form down perfectly. Might be unpleasant to spend that money starting off, but it's a great investment that will save you time and possible injuries further down the line.

Also, if you eat right, you don't need supplements. Just eat loads and have a protein source with every meal. Eggs for/with breakfast, meat with your lunch and dinner and snack on nuts if necessary. Protein powder isn't necessary but if you are struggling to up your protein/calorie intake, it's great. Pure whey protein is recommended unless you are vegan/lactose intolerant.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭QuietMan2010

If I was starting again, I would try to get a session with a personal trainer or coach so that my form is correct from the start. Do this as well as watching the videos - all the instructionals on stronglifts dotcom, and also I find Mark Rippetoe's youtube videos (produced by artofmanliness) are good.

Your session with a trainer should give you your 1 rep max's for each lift, which your programme will be based on. Personally, I found the 1 rep max from my very first session was quite a low level to start at, so the first two to three weeks seemed very easy. But maybe these are necessary to start preparing your body? From weeks five and six onwards it started getting hard - don't be disappointed if you have to drop down 10% at some stage, in fact I don't think any beginner will complete the planned progression for the full 12 weeks, it gets very tough towards the end.

Overall I found it a good way to start, as it is so easy to follow. YMMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Pure whey protein is recommended unless you are vegan/lactose intolerant.

There are some decent ones that are lactose free and contain lactase enzyme that should break down whatever lactose happens to have made it through the process (usually <1%). As a man with a sensitive belly I swear by them!
    If I was starting again, I would try to get a session with a personal trainer or coach so that my form is correct from the start.

Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I'm doing Stronglifts myself at the moment and have made some great progress with it! All the above posters are completely right about getting your form right. It is absolutely crucial that you have correct form. The videos and guides on form on the Stronglifts website are pretty good and should be studied closely. I injured my back with improper squat form that kept me out of the gym for about 2 weeks and wish I had concentrated more on form instead of trying to increase the weight as fast as possible.

Maybe print out a sheet with the guide/tips to each exercise to consult as you're resting between each set when you're starting from the lower easy weights. It's at this stage where you should be perfecting your form.

Also, I would say that the free Stronglifts 5x5 smartphone app is an invaluable tool! It really makes tracking your workouts a billion times easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Don't take shortcuts, start with just the bar and build up with the light weights so that you can get your form correct. The first few weeks might seem easy, but these are important for getting form right. You will quickly progress. If you find yourself struggling or your form is not right when you are lifting heavier weights, don't be afraid to deload.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

How are you getting on with this?

I started around the same time as you, I'm enjoying it so far!

Ive taken two days between each session once or twice as my legs were still stiff after the previous workout but more recently it hasn't been as bad.

I'm going well on all the lifts but I've a feeling the overhead press will be the first one where I'll reach my limit.
    At this point I assume it's a matter of deloading untill I get the 5X5?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Is there a variation of this that has bigger increments more slowly? The minimum weight I can use is 5kg platesso you can't exactly go up 2.5kg at a time, more like 10kg!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Is there a variation of this that has bigger increments more slowly? The minimum weight I can use is 5kg platesso you can't exactly go up 2.5kg at a time, more like 10kg!

You could always go to strengthshop and get yourself a pair of 2.5s and a pair of 1.25s for about €30 or d8fitness for €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Just put 5 on one side.

(waits with popcorn)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Zillah wrote: »
    Just put 5 on one side.

(waits with popcorn)

Nothing wrong with that, just grab the bar off center to evenly distribute the weight :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Will have to do that alf if I start that program, although I already get enough questions about the kettlebell at my desk.

Guy was bench pressing really and a guy was finished with a 20, walks back to stick it on one of the bars and sticks it on the guys on when he was relaxing between sets, got some shock when he started back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Will have to do that alf if I start that program, although I already get enough questions about the kettlebell at my desk.

I got a pair of 0.5kg plates cos the smallest jumps are 2.5 and sometimes I just needed a transition weight, especially with something like OHP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

jester77 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that, just grab the bar off center to evenly distribute the weight :D

I can see you haven't me some of our more...particular...posters.

Sometimes I'll put a 20kg bumper plate on one side and a regular black 20kg plate on the other side!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭rowanh

I did this for a while a couple years ago, i was doing 531 for a couple months recently, i think its better though somewhat similar.

One thing no one has said that i think is very important with weights is really concentrating on the muscle you are working, trying to get a really hard contraction and building a link between your mind and the muscle you are using. Its easy to do exercises badly and not get the most out of it, especially something like a bench press or row, using your arms to much and not your chest/back etc.

Advertisement