Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blogger meets his Troll

• 25-09-2012 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Meeting A Troll...
    I'm back on Twitter.

I can imagine the cries of 'I knew he wouldn't last!' from the Twitterati.
    But give me a few minutes of your time and I'll tell you why I'm back and the real truth about exactly why I left in the first place.

In my blog of 12th August entitled 'Walking, Not Running' I talked about my time on Twitter and my basic reasons for leaving. I stand over a lot of what I said. The atmosphere there has changed and there have been negative stories in the media about trolling, etc, for months now. The brand has been damaged and Twitter needs to act fairly swiftly to repair it. At the time of writing that blog, for reasons that will become obvious, I was very sketchy about my own personal experience.

When I left Twitter numerous people thought it was as a result of an overreaction on my behalf. That my departure was a kneejerk reaction to a couple of 'trolling' or 'flaming' incidents or that I was attention seeking. The reality of the situation is that my wife and I were targeted for over 3 years.

It started in July 2009. I'd been on Twitter for over 2 years at that point having joined in May 2007, and I'd never had a problem. My account was followed by a fairly innocuous looking one which I followed back and within 10 minutes I had received a Direct Message (DM) calling me a 'Dirty f*cking Jewish scumbag'. I blocked the account and reported it as spam. The following week it happened again in an identical manner. A new follower, I followed back, received a string of abusive DM's, blocked and reported for spam. Two or three times a week. Sometimes two or three times a day. An almost daily cycle of blocking and reporting and intense verbal abuse. So I made my account private and the problem went away for a short while. There were no problems on Twitter but my Facebook account was hacked, my blog was spammed and my email address was flooded with foulmouthed and disgusting comments & images. Images of corpses and concentration camps and dismembered bodies.
    Again, it eased off for a couple of weeks. I relaxed. Thought they'd finally tired of failing to get a reaction from me. Boy, was I wrong.

I didn't mention it to my wife. Didn't see the point of worrying her. But then she joined Twitter to see what it was like and grew to enjoy it. It wouldn't have been immediately obvious to outsiders that we were man and wife. She made the mistake though of changing her profile to state that she was 'The long suffering wife of @LeoTraynor'. Not a good idea. She received a DM stating 'Your husband is scum. A rotten b*stard and you're a wh*re.' She laughed it off. Blocked and reported and then the pattern started again. We got to the point of not accepting new followers at all and then one day my wife received a torrent of abuse via DM and on the timeline that was so vile she's never been on Twitter since - which is a real shame as she has so much to share and is far more interesting than I am.

People kept asking me 'Why you? Why would these guys want to have a go at you?' I couldn't answer them other than it was a couple of random nutters who didn't appreciate my political views or ethnic origins. Or even someone who couldn't solve my cryptic crosswords!

The whole thing escalated in June, July and August this year. I received more and more abuse on the timeline and via DMs. A crossword clue account I'd started (@Leo'sClue) was inundated with abuse too.
    Then one day something happened that truly frightened me. I don't scare easily but this was vile.

I received a parcel at my home address. Nothing unusual there - I get a lots of post. I ripped it open and there was a tupperware lunchbox inside full of ashes. There was a note included 'Say hello to your relatives from Auschwitz' I was physically sick.

I was petrified.
    They had my address.
    I reported it to the authorities and hoped for the best.
    Two days later I opened my front door and there was a bunch of dead flowers with my wife's old Twitter username on it. Then that night I recieved a DM. 'You'll get home some day & ur b**ches throat will be cut & ur son will be gone.'
    I got on to the authorities again but, polite and sympathetic as they were, there didn't seem much that could be done.
    Every night for weeks I lost sleep over it. Listening for noises. Opening the door everday with trepidation. Trying to maintain a semblance of normality and not let my wife or son see that I was dying on the inside. Mortified that they might be in danger because of my big mouth or ancestry.

Then the last straw. I received another tweet, on the public timeline this time 'I hope you die screaming but not until you see me p*ss on ur wife'

I closed my account immediately and swore I'd never go back, in spite of the friends I have there.
    I made it clear that I would pursue the troll or trolls and that I would take action. What I didn't say though was that I'd already been pursuing them for weeks and had a very good idea where, if not who, they were.

In July I was approached by a friend, who's basically an IT genius, and he offered some help. He said that he could trace the hackers and trolls for me using perfectly legal technology, which would lead to their IP addresses. I said yes. Then I baited them - I was deliberately more provocative toward them than ever I'd been before.

Holidays intervened. My Twitter account was deactivated but before doing so I posted links to my Google+ account, blog and invited people to contact me on Facebook. I'm delighted that a lot of my lovely friends did. I'm also delighted that The Troll did too.

It transpired that the abuse had emanated from three separate IP addresses in different corners of Ireland. Two of them were public wifi locations but the third....

The third location was the interesting one.

The third location was a friends house.

The Troll was his son. His 17yr old son.

I was gobsmacked.

I spoke to my friend at length. He told me how his son was always glued to his laptop, tablet or smartphone. How he couldn't watch a TV show without tweeting about it simultaneously. About how he'd become engrossed in conspiracy sites. It also became clear that the other two IP addresses had been used by his son.

He was horrified at what his son had done. Horrified, but not surprised. He wanted to call the authorities there and then and turn him in. But I said no.

A couple of days after that conversation I met my friend, his wife and their son in a quiet and discreet location. The son, The Troll who almost driven me mad, was totally unaware that I'd be joining them.

I sat down and ordered a big pot of tea. "Do you still like choc chip cookies?" I asked The Troll and he nodded eagerly, a shadow of the little boy that was flickering across his face.

We had a chat. I told them about my wife and son. I told them about my recent illnesses and bereavements and about the builders having been in. I asked after their business and asked The Troll how college is going. All bright and breezy and a trip down memory lane. Then The Troll's Dad tipped me the wink and I opened my bag and took out my manila folder.

I showed The Troll's mother and father screengrabs and printouts of his handiwork.

I showed them pictures of ashes and dead flowers.

I pointed out that one of the messages my wife received wishing me dead had arrived when I actually was gravely ill.

I told them of how I'd become so paranoid that I genuinely didn't know who to trust anymore.

I told them of nights when I'd walked the rooms, jumping at shadows and crying over the sleeping forms of my family for fear that they would suffer because of me.

Then it happened...

The Troll burst into tears. His dad gently restraining him from leaving the table.

I put my hand on his shoulder and asked him "Why?"

The Troll sat there for a moment and said "I don't know. I don't know. I'm sorry. It was like a game thing."

A game thing.

So, that's what it was...

The Troll's mother said "If you want to call the Garda we'll support you in that. I'm ashamed of him."

I responded: "I'm not criminalizing a 17 year old kid and ruining his future. But I will write about it - and you must all guarantee me that he'll go and see a counsellor about this or I will go legal on you."

Then I got up to leave. I looked The Troll in the eye and said "Stand up."

He stood. I said " Look at me. I'm a middle aged man with a limp and a wheeze and a son and a wife that I love. I'm not just a little avatar of an eye. You're better than this. You have a name of your own. Be proud of it. Don't hide it again and I won't ruin it if you play ball with your parents. Now shake hands."

"I'm sorry." he said, and looked like he meant it. "Thanks for giving me a break dude."

Then we shook on it.

And that is how I came to shake the hand of a troll.

He seemed very calm after it all, but I'd imagine it was relief in the end as the Troll had said/done some really horrific things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Corvo

As soon as he put out his hand to shake his, he should have nutted him straight in the bridge of the nose. The loony.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The fúcking " Twitterati " oh noes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Freak, I'd bust him up. Slap the laptop of his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The fúcking " Twitterati " oh noes!

Yes, because obviously the most important part of this cautionary tale is that he had the gall to use the word 'Twitterati'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sounds like someone made this up to pimp his Twitter account/blog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

tl;dr and I've no idea who this person is

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Confab wrote: »
    Sounds like someone made this up to pimp his Twitter account/blog.

Sounds like you're engrossed in the same conspiracy sites as that kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    tl;dr and I've no idea who this person is

normally i would be one of the tl:dr, but this is worth the read.
    that man is a lot more forgiving than i would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

jebus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Sounds like you're engrossed in the same conspiracy sites as that kid.

Nope, hate conspiracy shite. Just thinking that it looks like the perfect opportunity to promote his blog/Twatter account with the 'poor me' routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Probably left out the bit where he tied the kid to a tree in the nearest forest and left him there for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd post the ashes back to his house. let the f**ker sweat it out for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Meh, very anti-climatic ending. I was hoping for something better, like a proper punishment. The kid put the guy through hell, abused him and his wife, and did some pretty sh*tty things. I don't know, I just wouldn't be satasified with a handshake is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

He should have went to the guards after the troll called him "dude".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Jesus fair play to that guy for being able to turn the other cheek like that. Id hope to be able to be that dignified in that situation, but when somebody threatens your family like that . . .

I hope the kid proves himself worthy of the break hes received.

Also Id hope his parents have the sense to ban him from the internet. Preferably forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Confab wrote: »
    Nope, hate conspiracy shite. Just thinking that it looks like the perfect opportunity to promote his blog/Twatter account with the 'poor me' routine.
    Ah now in fairness, he was put through some pretty horrific times. Fair enough if it was just abuse via Twitter/email, but stuff being sent to your home address?!! That's hardly a "poor me" routine

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

That was a really good thing to read.
    I've no idea who the twitterer in question is, or what his views are. But he reacted like an adult, he set a brilliant example for the little troll to follow. He has my full respect, and people online don't often get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭maximoose

Good read, but who the hell is Leo Traynor?

That blogger was a pussy.
    A mates son?, bate the ****e outta him.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Shenshen wrote: »
    That was a really good thing to read.
    I've no idea who the twitterer in question is, or what his views are. But he reacted like an adult, he set a brilliant example for the little troll to follow. He has my full respect, and people online don't often get that.

Which explains why so many people in AH are confused and angry at this story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

All bloggers are crying out for attention, this one just got bad attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Yeman was probably chuffed with having something to post on twitter. He probably did everything he did with telling people about it in his head. Trolls aren't the only **** style of person produced by the internet.

Which explains why so many people in AH are confused and angry at this story.

Death threats to your wife and child kinda do that to some people.
    "Ah but he was only having a laugh"
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

That kid has some serious mental problems, I don't think a counsellor can fix that level of psychotic behaviour.

What I'd be worried about is that the kid spent money on his trolling, he left his house and bought items, printed off messages and paid for postage. That's a hell of a lot more effort, time and money than the average troll puts into their trolling.

How did the parents not know their kid was this level of crazy? Surely his mental issues have shown themselves in other areas of his life.

If I was that guy I'd be finding it very hard to let that kid off with a hand shake and a telling off knowing he threatened my family and put us all through hell and back. At the very least I'd be asking for all his gadgets and make him watch as I smashed them into pieces.

Very scary story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

In fairness if a blogger has a good/interesting story, shouldn't we be paying attention? This is a good story and a good morality tale. The guy puts his own name to it, so you can be (reasonably) sure it's not an urban myth...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Nice story. Are people just expected to take it as truth though? Your man says he's a writer and a former 'spin-doctor'.. If he was so frightened and upset by the threats against himself and his family then why the hell didn't he report it? If somebody left ashes and death threats at my front door I wouldn't hang around waiting for somebody to offer to track down the culprit.

fricatus wrote: »
    In fairness if a blogger has a good/interesting story, shouldn't we be paying attention? This is a good story and a good morality tale. The guy puts his own name to it, so you can be (reasonably) sure it's not an urban myth...

Oops, just re-read your post and realised I picked it up wrong!

Still though, he's got a lot more attention now. Hopefully he won't have UPS-van loads of dodgy parcels being delivered to his door! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Nice story. Are people just expected to take it as truth though? Your man says he's a writer and a former 'spin-doctor'.. If he was so frightened and upset by the threats against himself and his family then why the hell didn't he report it? If somebody left ashes and death threats at my front door I wouldn't hang around waiting for somebody to offer to track down the culprit.

He said he reported it to the authorities on a couple of occasions.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They resolved his IP address.

Then his house.

Strange story if you ask me. Sketchy on some important details there.

I would assume the police would take death threats more seriously.

TBH I think it's all bullshít.

• Advertisement

If he was so frightened and upset by the threats against himself and his family then why the hell didn't he report it?

He did:
    I reported it to the authorities and hoped for the best.

I got on to the authorities again

Advertisement