Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free banking rules in AIB changed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

tunedout wrote: »
    Just close your current account.

When a state owned bank is introducing transaction charges and its government is increasing VAT rates in an economy that is crippled by poor domestic demand I think you are gone past the point of rescue. They are well able to deal with protest and anger at this stage. They have become immune to it. Take action. It is illogical not to.

1. I'm with Ulster Bank. (similar will happen here though)
    2. Well able to deal with Protest, to be honest I hope I'm wrong in one sense, but in that department, I don't think they've seen anything yet.

Their own fault if it comes to that and not one I relish but if necessary.......

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭niallu

While the banks don't make a huge amount of money on their current accounts, the big €'s start rolling in when they give mortgages to their long term customers.

Have been with AIB for 20 yrs and would look to get a mortgage in the next 2/3 yrs but now another bank who won't rape me over the small things will get my business instead.

As a long term strategy decision it's absolutely retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Noemi Little Actress

hopefully ulster bank Will capitalize on this and not introduce charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Can anyone advise on ulster banks online banking and/or phone apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Can anyone advise on ulster banks online banking and/or phone apps.

UB released an update to their iPhone App last week, you can view all accounts, transfer between them, transfer to other Payees etc, pretty much everything that you can do on the App as you can do on the online site.

I've Online access to accounts in both AIB and UB, much prefer the UB one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Brenno

If I switch from aib to ub, will it affect my aib credit card? Are they separate entities?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭datk

Elessar wrote: »
    AIB were always robbers and I wouldn't bank with them if you paid me.

I've been with National Irish Bank since I was 16 and never looked back. They always had free banking and their online banking is second to none. They also have a great phone app to access your accounts and pay bills and lead the way with this as they were first to market.

NIB is another one to consider. Only keep in mind they have gone cashless and the post office now deal with their cash. It's actually worked out brilliantly as I never really dealt cash with them direct and there are never any queues at their branches anymore.

I've consolidated my current a/c, savings a/c and credit card with them and couldn't be happier.

NIB are introducing fees as well with no way of avoiding them, a lot of people have received letters, mine hasn't arrived yet but apparently it's on it's way.

At the moment it looks like Ulster Bank still have free banking and BOI if you have a €1k a month going in and at least 3 online bank transactions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

danjo-xx wrote: »
    1. I'm with Ulster Bank. (similar will happen here though)
    2. Well able to deal with Protest, to be honest I hope I'm wrong in one sense, but in that department, I don't think they've seen anything yet.

Their own fault if it comes to that and not one I relish but if necessary.......

Do you think Ulster Bank will go down the same route (with charges etc?)?

They hardly will if they get an influx of AIB customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

PCPhoto wrote: »
    would it be worth sending an email to the press officers ? to explain what a bad PR exercise this will be for the company ?

http://www.aib.ie/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=PressOffice/PO_HomePage&poSection=MC

Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    would it be worth sending an email to the press officers ? to explain what a bad PR exercise this will be for the company ?

http://www.aib.ie/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=PressOffice/PO_HomePage&poSection=MC

done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

I can't see UB introducing transaction charges knowing that they'll lose all of their newly acquired customers that came from AIB for the same reason. Banks make a considerable amount from other charges and interest without having to strangle the life out of their customers the way AIB have decided to.

I've been with AIB for 16 years. I'm closing my account down next week as a result of this. Mainly because I never have €2,500 in my current account. I'm also taking my savings account to UB, along with every other piece of banking business I do.

The retarded thing about this is that AIB will lose a huge number of customers in the 22-35 year age bracket. Many of whom will become increasingly valuable customers as they get older. None of these customers (including me) will ever go back to them now.

So we've bailed out these Irish banking institutions - only for all of their customers to leave them to bank with a foreign bank. Wunderbar :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Define insult: A disrespectful or scornfully abusive remark or action.

This rule change is highly insulting to those people who make up the majority of society and who most likely hold bank accounts. ie the low paid.

ironically the same people who in there majority have bailed out this bank.

This amounts to an insult on these people and because of this i will be moving my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

cookie1977 wrote: »
    BOI is lodge 3k per quarter, not maintain every day 3k in the account. AIB is maintain 2500 every day in the account or else you get charged

Think you might be wrong, from BOI terms and conditions "Maintain a minimum credit balance of €3,000 in your Personal Current account throughout the full fee quarter. Please refer to our Schedule of Fees and Charges for specific dates for our fee quarters." Where were the consumer association when this happened, listening to their interview on Morning Ireland i don't think they had ever heard of this BOI condition even though it is on their free fees comparison web page.Why did they not contact the Financial regulator over BOI as they are going to do with AIB? Is the BOI not also a bailed out bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

ninty wrote: »
    Think you might be wrong, from BOI terms and conditions "Maintain a minimum credit balance of €3,000 in your Personal Current account throughout the full fee quarter. Please refer to our Schedule of Fees and Charges for specific dates for our fee quarters." Where were the consumer association when this happened, listening to their interview on Morning Ireland i don't think they had ever heard of this BOI condition even though it is on their free fees comparison web page.Why did they not contact the Financial regulator over BOI as they are going to do with AIB? Is the BOI not also a bailed out bank.

No, you are wrong:
    To qualify for this offer in the fee quarter you can either:

1. Lodge at least €3,000 in your Personal Current account AND make 9 debit payments from that account using 365 Phone and/or Online over the course of a fee quarter (This is the equivalent of a €1,000 net salary lodgement and 3 payments per month). Payments made by standing order or direct debit do not qualify as 365 Phone and/or Online payments for the purpose of this offer.

OR

2. Maintain a minimum credit balance of €3,000 in your Personal Current account throughout the full fee quarter. Please refer to our Schedule of Fees and Charges for specific dates for our fee quarters.

http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/current-accounts/standard-current-account/

PaulKK wrote: »

BOI does require a Maintained balance of €3000 if you use option B
    Are you totally disregarding the "OR" an option only available to some people who do not have the internet,Online banking or do not make 9 debit payments per Quarter.Option B is exactly the same as the new AIB free banking terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The "OR" option is what makes it considerably better then AIB. Where as the original poster of this stated you "had" to maintain 3000K throughout the quarter or you'd be charged which is clearly incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Brenno wrote: »
    If I switch from aib to ub, will it affect my aib credit card? Are they separate entities?

Thats the question I have to. With online banking it was handy to have the two.

I'd be looking to have online access to both, and be able to make credit card payments online too.

is that doable if I switch banks?

The "OR" option is what makes it considerably better then AIB. Where as the original poster of this stated you "had" to maintain 3000K throughout the quarter or you'd be charged which is clearly incorrect

It is not incorrect if you choose option B. "BOI is lodge 3k per quarter, not maintain every day 3k in the account" This statement is incorrect or at least misleading if you choose Option B. Maybe you should have Qualified Your Posts with regard to option B or A.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It is not incorrect if you choose option B. "BOI is lodge 3k per quarter, not maintain every day 3k in the account" This statement is incorrect or at least misleading if you choose Option B. Maybe you should have Qualified Your Posts with regard to option B or A.
    You don't "choose" an option. All you have to do is qualify under A or B. If you qualify under either for any given quarter, you don't pay fees.

Q: Do you have to have €3000 in you account at all times to qualify?
    A: No, you don't

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Sorry I have to disagree. The only person who needs to qualify their posts is yourself I think. Both yourself and the OP have stated that you must maintain 3000k in a quarter which is clearly incorrect. BOI are a better option at present to AIB which is clearly not what you and the OP are saying.

• Advertisement

I think we can agree that BOI's terms are vague at best and that they aren't really offering free banking.

Heading down to my local Ulster Bank now to open an account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I think we can agree that BOI's terms are vague at best and that they aren't really offering free banking.

Heading down to my local Ulster Bank now to open an account.

How are they vague?

Lodge 3k over a quarter and make 9 online transactions.

OR

Maintain 3k in the account.

Nothing vague about that for me anyway.

Sorry I have to disagree. The only person who needs to qualify their posts is yourself I think. Both yourself and the OP have stated that you must maintain 3000k in a quarter which is clearly incorrect. BOI are a better option at present to AIB which is clearly not what you and the OP are saying.

I have to maintain a €3000 balance with them to obtain free banking as i do not use internet banking, must head down there now and tell them they are wrong.

How are they vague?

Lodge 3k over a quarter and make 9 online transactions.

OR

Maintain 3k in the account.

Nothing vague about that for me anyway.

edub370-albums-pointless-stuff-picture42818-derail2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I have to maintain a €3000 balance with them to obtain free banking as i do not use internet banking, must head down there now and tell them they are wrong.
    You have the option of using internet (or phone) banking to obtain free fees. AIB's new rules do not provide that option

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Well you should as you can also use phone or internet banking as they regard it as the same. Might need to read those T&C's again maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Niall0001

Read earlier that this will incur an average of €90 a year for 900,000 AIB customers. Any coincidence that the house tax is a similar cost & similar figures emerging regarding the numbers who won't be paying it? Thought not, as the house tax is undoubtedly going straight to AIB anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Opened an Ulster Bank account in less then 10 minutes online.

Get a form pack in the coming days to just tick boxes and send copies of ID
    I also send back a switcher pack, where Ulster bank will close my accounts and transfer my funds over at no extra cost

I get no fees and a Visa Debit card ( Laser is a dead technology)

No way, in 2012 am I paying AIB these fees. They are a retail bank, its not a privalage to be a customer, they are a retailer like everyone else.

If Superquinn started charging everyone €5 for a trolley, what would you do? You'd go to Dunnes.

Quicker people realise that retail banks are retailers the better.

So long AIB, customer service was good, branch turnaround on loans were good, but unfortunately your a black hole sucking money

TheDoc wrote: »
    Opened an Ulster Bank account in less then 10 minutes online.

Get a form pack in the coming days to just tick boxes and send copies of ID
    I also send back a switcher pack, where Ulster bank will close my accounts and transfer my funds over at no extra cost

I get no fees and a Visa Debit card ( Laser is a dead technology)

No way, in 2012 am I paying AIB these fees. They are a retail bank, its not a privalage to be a customer, they are a retailer like everyone else.

If Superquinn started charging everyone €5 for a trolley, what would you do? You'd go to Dunnes.

Quicker people realise that retail banks are retailers the better.

So long AIB, customer service was good, branch turnaround on loans were good, but unfortunately your a black hole sucking money

That's about the height of it. So long AIB. You were actually an okay bank to deal with but now you're not worth doing business with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭laura29

Been trying to get through to ub switcher team all morning and the lines are engaged, something that normally annoys me alot but i cant help smiling on this occasion ! I hope to god people stand up and say no to these bloodsuckers, i for one have had it at this stage, they wont get one cent off me ever again

Advertisement