Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I do about this? Have to move house urgently

• 27-02-2012 1:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

Ok so ive been staying in a studio apartment for the past 6 weeks, it was only temporary due to work, and it was signed for 3 months minimum. I didn't have to pay a bond either.

I have to leave now pretty soon, like in a week or 2 or so as ive been offered work out near the coast.

What can I do about this? Is it legally ok for me to just pack my bags, walk down, give them the key and leave? Or im guessing they will need to inspect the room though?

I've been paying by cash also so they cant take any extra money from my bank account though.

Has anyone here ever had to do something like this?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

What does your lease say about breaking the contract?

That's purely from a legal point of view.

Kinda weird if you paid cash and no bond ...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's not legally OK; you've agreed to pay rent for the three months, and you can't renege on your agreement simply because it doesn't suit you any more.

In practice, though, you may get away with it. If you have paid a deposit you will lose it, but that may be the limit of your risk. They can sue you for the rent for the balance of the period, but if you are leaving town they may not bother. And, even if they do, how will they enforce their judgment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Sorry took a while to reply, there was a few things I needed to sort out. I'm definitely leaving now in about 10-14 days, but need to figure out how this could affect me in terms of money if I break this contract.
    hussey wrote: »
    What does your lease say about breaking the contract?

That's purely from a legal point of view.

Kinda weird if you paid cash and no bond ...
    It says fixed term agreement 3 months. It doesn't say anything about breaking the contract. Why is it weird that I paid cash and no bond? Its an apartment block for temporary residents i.e. you can pay a night rate or weekly rate along with 3 month rate and people like students or people in town for a few weeks. Its not a house.
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    It's not legally OK; you've agreed to pay rent for the three months, and you can't renege on your agreement simply because it doesn't suit you any more.

In practice, though, you may get away with it. If you have paid a deposit you will lose it, but that may be the limit of your risk. They can sue you for the rent for the balance of the period, but if you are leaving town they may not bother. And, even if they do, how will they enforce their judgment?
    Is it common for lessor's to sue tenants for the remaining rent? Or is it best to just ring the lessor and talk to him and explain the situation?

Has anyone here broke a lease before, and if so was there any repercussions?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Is it common for lessor's to sue tenants for the remaining rent? Or is it best to just ring the lessor and talk to him and explain the situation?
    It's rare, I think, though obviously it does depend on how much is at stake. But let's say you stay there for six weeks and forfeit a deposit of another two weeks. The landlord's loss is only one month's rent (assuming you leave the place in good condition) and he may recover some of that by reletting the place. I doubt very much that he will sue you for that kind of money

He might put your name on a register of defaulting tenants (some landlord's associations maintain these) and that might cause you a problem renting somewhere else later on. But, realistically, if he's in the business of renting to temporary residents he probably has this happen to him quite a lot, and he may be philosophical about it.

In fairness to him, give him as much notice as you can. He may bluster a bit, but short of legal action there isn't a great deal he can do.

Advertisement