Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Szent István University - Veterinary MEGATHREAD

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

farosway wrote: »
    No that website is not clear on studying abroad. I have been fighting with SUSI over this for ages. I have sent in lots of appeals, I went to a solicitor, and my local TD's etc and they all say fees will NOT be paid outside of ireland. Its an absolute disgrace. If I was a foreigner coming to ireland to study I would be eligible for every grant going. This country is pathetic, wont even look after the nationals. Ring SUSI directly for more info but that website is really not clear.

I went to my local TD and he sent a letter to the Minister of Education who also happens to be from the same county as me and all her letter said was visit susi.ie and studentfinance... No effort at all put into that letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 farosway

yoppo wrote: »
    I went to my local TD and he sent a letter to the Minister of Education who also happens to be from the same county as me and all her letter said was visit susi.ie and studentfinance... No effort at all put into that letter.

Ya its a disgrace. Irish students studying abroad should take a stand. Im not racist but how is it fair that the irish government will fund foreigners to study in our country and not fund their own nationals abroad?? Especially for medicine, veterinary etc courses that are difficult to get a place in, in irish colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

Just a quick question for the guys whom were accepted, would really be appreciated, did you all have very strong leaving cert results, would it ever be the case that an average 400's type points would be accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mk96

Hey guys , I am in my leaving cert year at the moment and have my heart set on vet med. The points here are crazy so i was hoping to study in Budapest. The most unfortunate thing is really that i did not take Chemistry for fifth year, instead i took biology, ag science and physchem which i knew would give me more points but now i am at a loss as i know chemistry is compulsery for vet med. I saw some of ye say that ye transferred from UCD and the likes and got to skip the entrance exam as ye already had a science backround. SO basically what i was wondering was , If i do Animal Science in UCD can I transfer after a year or two to Budapest as I would have a science backround and not have needed a chemistry leaving cert? Any other closely related information to this question would be greatly appreciated as I am very stressed abou it all. Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

The application form for Szent Istvan requires a pass leaving cert. Is there any subject or grade criteria applied other than that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ct6626

I'm thinking about going to budapest to study veterinary this year, but I have no idea how to apply or what the entry requirements are? Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 niall95

Hello ct6626, To apply to the university its easiest to go through the local rep Tim o Leary, if you Google him you'll find his details. As for entry requirements, just have a fairly good leaving cert, and then there is an entrance exam in biology and chemistry, leaving cert subjects are usually enough to pass I think that there is also prepartory weekends in Ireland somewhere for the exam, but for anyone who doesn't do these subjects there is a pre-med course for a year to prepare for the entrance exam (which I'm in at the minute). Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mk96

Hey guys. I filled out my cao yesterday and put animal science in UCD first. What I'd love to know is if i could transfer to Budapest after my first year if i was still interested in doing vet med? I dont do chemistry for the leaving cert instead i do Physchem so i cant apply straight away. I know i need a science backround. Also is the course very hard going? Do you need to be a high points achiever to keep up with the work? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

People transfer to the course all the time and have studied a variety of different subjects. I know someone who transferred while studying zoology and another was doing biochemistry. It isn't guaranteed you will get in of course, all you can do is apply at the time and see how it goes so make sure you are studying something you want to be studying and not just using it as a back up and pinning all your hopes on getting into Szent Istvan.

The course is hard and apparently known for being more difficult than studying in Kosice, Brno or Poland. Personally I hate it here but there are many different factors contributing to that so don`t give my negative opinion too much weight. I don`t think you need to be a high points achiever to keep up with the work load but you need to be 100% positive you want to be doing this course. A lot of people drop out the first couple of years because the workload is intense. The oral examinations they have here throw people at first too but you get used to them. Being so far from home is also hard for a lot of people but despite that many students still stick it out :) Getting caught in the inactive loop happens a fair bit too. I read the EAEVE accredidation report for our Uni recently and it seems the percentage of international students that make it through to third year is 30-40% at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

Tryst wrote: »
    People transfer to the course all the time and have studied a variety of different subjects. I know someone who transferred while studying zoology and another was doing biochemistry. It isn't guaranteed you will get in of course, all you can do is apply at the time and see how it goes so make sure you are studying something you want to be studying and not just using it as a back up and pinning all your hopes on getting into Szent Istvan.

The course is hard and apparently known for being more difficult than studying in Kosice, Brno or Poland. Personally I hate it here but there are many different factors contributing to that so don`t give my negative opinion too much weight. I don`t think you need to be a high points achiever to keep up with the work load but you need to be 100% positive you want to be doing this course. A lot of people drop out the first couple of years because the workload is intense. The oral examinations they have here throw people at first too but you get used to them. Being so far from home is also hard for a lot of people but despite that many students still stick it out :) Getting caught in the inactive loop happens a fair bit too. I read the EAEVE accredidation report for our Uni recently and it seems the percentage of international students that make it through to third year is 30-40% at best.

The EAEVE report is critical on the admissions process for international students and cites that 90% of Hungarian students make it into second year whereas only 50-60% of international students do. The financial survival of the Uni is dependent on international students and that is a worry. It also states that there are too many chances for resits for international students.

However, I can't see where it says that only 30-40% make it to third year. With resits and inactive periods, I would think it is higher than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Sarahshamira

I'm just after finishing up 5 years at Szent Istvan. Give me a shout if you need and I will try answer as best I can

Hi! I'm planning on applying. I am from Singapore. I read that if you have good grades in GCE A levels biology and chemistry, you can be exempted from the entrance exam. I have Cs for both so I'm hoping I will get exempted because the topics tested are basically what our A levels were about... haha. I also read that they prefer letters of recommendation preferrably written by people who have finished their study at this veterinary school. Are you one of them? I am wondering if you could help me with this? I really want to get in because I am an animal lover with a strong passion for vet science!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sarahshamira

Hi guys. I am from Singapore and am planning on applying using my A levels. Any other students here who got in with A levels? What grades did you have? Is it hard to get in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jessica246

Im currently in my leaving cert year and im worried i wont get the 570 points needed to do veterinary in UCD, i was wondering is there a high chance of me getting into Iztven college? I do biology and chemistry in school, but how should i prepare for the entrance exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NGM96

Is anyone heading over to Budapest in September ? Would love to get to know a few people before I head over :) feel free to pm me!

Advertisement