Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post here every time you get something new!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hahaha

'Go to Vecfest - come home with extra limbs'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hahaha

'Go to Vecfest - come home with extra limbs'

I'm picturing the scene from Close Encounters where Dreyfuss wakes up with half his face sunburnt. We'd go home with vector-burn. :pac:
    Seriously though, it would be a cool sight to see several of them hooked up beside each other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems like an excellent idea. You know how those chernobyl workers flushed the radiation from their bodies? Vodak, there's nothing better for it than alcohol so as long as we go atavan halen we should be fine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

:eek: I've been immortalised in the A&R dictionary??

To jack burton something: The act of placing a ridiculously low or realistic bid on a game and/or games conslode in the hope of acquiring it.

o1s1n: A term used to describe someone who is extremely lucky in relation to online auctions.

To atavan halen: the act of one drinking copious amounts of alcohol. This is usually followed by posing on Internet forums in an unorderly fashion.

Y'know I'm earning $$$ these days so it's within the realms of reality for me to also get a vectrex within a month or two :D provided I dint get any more tattoos or piercings =/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I recently bought a NES to relive my childhood lol, got a new 72pin and last night made it region free, its working perfect and in great condition, came with bubble bobble since then i think ive become addicted to ebay the last two weeks i got

Burai fighter - Boxed
    Nintendo Golf - Complete
    Mario\Duckhunt - cart (this was us which now works!)
    Mario 2 - doesnt work at all white screen - cart only
    Mario 3 - Cart
    Hook - complete
    a boy and his blob - complete
    Time lord - complete
    Talespin - complete
    ChipNDale - complete
    Paperboy - complete
    offroad - complete
    Marble madness - complete
    Turbo racing - complete
    star wars - cart
    wrestle mania challange - cart

I think i have an addiction problem...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

To do a 'Retr0gamer' - argue with somebody unfairly about how 15 year old games have aged horribly, despite looking fantastic at the time. To hold the passage of time responsible for said agedness, to shun all games except the ones you like.

To do a 'Ciderman' - Basically to cause people to spend money, who have been awed by a collection of vintage/retro console. For example, EnterNow has recently been 'Cider'd' and bought a Vectrex.

To do an 'EnterNow' - to take a soldering iron, some solder & usually a switch and adapt a console, or give a previously unavalable ability. To develop a deep love for Smoked Cod & Chips with Garlic Dip, to throw caution completely to the wind on various auction sites & adapt a 'worry about it later' attitude, usually landing yourself in financial trouble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was hoping being Cider'd meant dragging groups into arguing the merits of Halo (or lack of) and the random mentioning of how f'ing awful scrolling beat'em ups are! Like, for example, oh I don't know, maybe Goldenpoo or Streets of Sh1te? (is Goldenpoo Goldeneye or GoldeAxe? YOU DECIDE!)

To be Retr0'd, to love all things Treasure, all things, even the crap ones!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was hoping being Cider'd meant dragging groups into arguing the merits of Halo (or lack of) and the random mentioning of how f'ing awful scrolling beat'em ups are! Like, for example, oh I don't know, maybe Goldenpoo or Streets of Sh1te? (is Goldenpoo Goldeneye or GoldeAxe? YOU DECIDE!)
    !

Why do I always fall for that? :(

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

To be Retr0'd, to love all things Treasure, all things, even the crap ones!

Oh feel free to add to it :D When we're done, put them all in one post for reference & smarmy posts :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To do a 'Retr0gamer': To be the voice of reason in this mad, crazy world, a modern day knight crusading against misled Halo fans and the rose tinted glasses brigade.

I might be biased though.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    To do a 'Retr0gamer': To be the voice of reason in this mad, crazy world, a modern day knight crusading against misled Halo fans and the rose tinted glasses brigade.

Lol, I was wondering when you might show up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I know it doesn't quite count as something a+r, but I got an email to say my college grant cheque is in.... and all this vectrex hype...

Must... use.... wisely...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I couldn't stop hearing the last lines of The Dark Knight as I read that.

To do a 'Retr0gamer': he's the hero boards deserves. But not the one it needs right now. And so [the Halo fans will] hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.

Master of the Universe

I know it doesn't quite count as something a+r, but I got an email to say my college grant cheque is in.... and all this vectrex hype...

Must... use.... wisely...

Do ittttttttt :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Do ittttttttt :D

I caved, but only as far as Jack Burtoning an offer on one on ebay. Damn you, you're like the devil on my shoulder!

Further Jack Burtoning was attempted on a boxed mega drive this evening, it failed, possibly due to my non-jack burton-ness.

Not an awful deal at asking price in fariness: http://www.adverts.ie/326137/other-consoles-and-games/sega-megadrive-2-mint-in-box/

Now I'm off to the main games forum to retr0gamer some Halo fans :P

You have to say it with a "What the hell..." attitude...

Offered 60, counter offer of 90... plus €22 for delivery from Germany. I dunno, I dunno. I just don't have that devil may care (cry might be more fitting here :p) attitude.

If any of you are interested, it would come to €112, just offer €90 - http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230545490404&ssPageName=ADME:B:BODO:DE:1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Snap2010

Recently purchased a copy of GTA 2 and Crash Bandicoot 2 for PS1. Perfect condition adnd great fun. Only €10 for the 2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I caved, but only as far as Jack Burtoning an offer on one on ebay. Damn you, you're like the devil on my shoulder!

Further Jack Burtoning was attempted on a boxed mega drive this evening, it failed, possibly due to my non-jack burton-ness.

Not an awful deal at asking price in fariness: http://www.adverts.ie/326137/other-consoles-and-games/sega-megadrive-2-mint-in-box/

Now I'm off to the main games forum to retr0gamer some Halo fans :P

Tbh the state of the box, I'd offer him 25 if I was desperate for it. I think the real art of Jack Burtoning is to make an offer like this:

Seller -
    Rare Crystal Sega Saturn. Fashioned by the Aztec High Priest Quezalacolamacooltec. This Saturn is also self-aware (but not in a painful self-conscious teenager type thing where it's always thinking about it's spots) and turns itself on (again, not like a teenager) and comes with a free copy of Radiant Silvergun. I had to kill 20 Aztec undead Guardian's to retrieve this item from the depths of the High Priest's tomb and in the process my Tomb-Raiding wife Lara was killed. Looking for 200 euro, now that's a bargain.

Jack Burton -
    Offer 40.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Augmerson wrote: »
    Jack Burton -
    Offer 40, posted.

FYP :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Lol at "Jack Burtoning". :D
    Too many pages gone with no pics folks. :p
    Some stuff I got in the last while, SMB3 is one of my favourite game boxes.

Retro shop in town:
    snakerattle.jpg
    worldofillusion.jpg
    jamespond3.jpg

Rest from ebay:
    klonoa2.jpg
    marblemadness.jpg
    smb3.jpg
    megaman2w.jpg
    pagemaster.jpg
    splatterhouse3.jpg
    wilywars.jpg

I should have a few nice things arriving next week :) Pics when that arrives.

Also I definitely need to check out this new retro shop! No work on Sat so I'll probably head in then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

lol-cats_its_BEAUTIFUL.jpg

Unirally is a bit of a find, had to be pulled off the shelves because of Pixar.

Master of the Universe

I didn't know that about Unirally. Interesting stuff!

Lawsuit
    Shortly after the game's release, DMA Design was sued by Pixar for allegedly copying the unicycle design and concept from their 1987 short film Red's Dream. Mike Dailly, one of the developers at DMA Design, commented, "The problem with Pixar was that they seemed to think that any computer generated unicycle was owned by them."

DMA Design lost the lawsuit, and as a result, Nintendo had to terminate production of further Unirally cartridges. According to Mike Dailly, "The deal was that Nintendo wouldn't make any more carts so Unirally only sold the 300k initial run".[1] Many reviewers and players believe the game would have been quite successful, given its critical praise, had it not been limited to its 300,000 production run.

Where's this retro shop in town anyway?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Where's this retro shop in town anyway?

It's in fade st , off georges st (down one of the side steets beside Georges st arcade)
    I picked up one of these lads there for a tenner today.
    joy023.jpg
    Could probably have got it cheaper off ebay but they weigh a ton (as the base and shaft are metal) so the P&P would probably have made it more expensive.
    Nice range of stuff there ...and they have original garbage pail stickers! (they're from 1984 though so I wouldn't reccomend eating the gum!)

I got two of them in the post today, along with 3 normal mega drive pads. One of the sticks has unresponsive buttons, they need to be hit really hard to register anything on screen. Is it easy to fix that, and can I open up one of the normal pads and use the rubber bis from that?

Master of the Universe

I've never opened one of those sticks up before. Not sure if they use the rubbers from the pads or if there's some kind of switch in there.

If it's the pads then it would be really easy to fix alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just replace them with arcade switches?
    Turn the pad into something more, well, like a proper arcade stick?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement