Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

blueyedson wrote: »
    Can i ask someone who has installed atomic mod for some help!

I downoad atomic mod from here URL="http://www.modaco.com/topic/355090-rom-atomicmod-huawei-g300-b190612-updated-22-06-12/"

I havn;t got a clue what to do next tho....

do i copy the downloaded files (meta-inf and system folders) to micro sd card ?

am i better off getting rom b886 from here ?? http://www.modaco.com/topic/353860-help-im-new-and-i-cant-do/

this link looks easier to follow....i just want to get rid of some vodafone apps and improve the phone performance a little with whatever vol etc improvements are to be had.

thanks for reading.
    Have you rooted and installed ClockworkMod Recovery? If not, you have to do that first. Don't unzip the files - leave it as atomicmod.zip or whatever the filename is. Put the zip file on your micro SD card and boot into the CWM recovery. You can then use the various options to install the rom. You should use the backup option first to backup your current rom. You'll also have to use the wipe data option which will delete all your phone and app data. Finally you select install zip from SD card and select atomicmod.zip (again whatever the filename is).

By the way, the methods for installing both roms should be the same so which you choose depends only whether you want the features in AtomicMod. Performance is supposed to better all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

I downoad atomic mod from here URL="http://www.modaco.com/topic/355090-rom-atomicmod-huawei-g300-b190612-updated-22-06-12/"

am i better off getting rom b886 from here ?? http://www.modaco.com/topic/353860-help-im-new-and-i-cant-do/

this link looks easier to follow....i just want to get rid of some vodafone apps and improve the phone performance a little with whatever vol etc improvements are to be had.

thanks for reading.
    This thread helped me a lot when I upgraded to Atomic Mod. It's a lot easier than I thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭k123456

clonadlad wrote: »

thanks for reading.
    This thread helped me a lot when I upgraded to Atomic Mod. It's a lot easier than I thought it was.

Re Atomic, I followed the linked thread

You do not need to root phone to install Mod

Save the atomic mod zip to your micro sd, I found it easiest to power down phone, insert into card reader, and into laptop, save the zip to the sd

In essence per the link, you install clockwork to phone, this makes it bootable to CW, to get to CW on boot , you need to press two buttons at the same time, these are detailed in thread, but I think vol up and power.

you now see a CW menu, similar to going into the BIOS on a PC, you navigate the menu, using vol up and down, and home to select

BTW once the Mod has been installed , next time you need to use CW, you can boot the phone form the phone shut down menu. handy if you want to install another mod at some stage
    I used CW to install additional patches : G talk and Weather Widget per page 1 of
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/355090-rom-atomicmod-huawei-g300-b190612-updated-22-06-12/

ADD-ON'S:
    STOCK GALLERY
    GOOGLE TALK
    SIM TOOL KIT
    WEATHER WIDGET
    STOCK MUSIC
    ADD EMAIL APP
    HUAWEI LOCKSCREEN
    LAUNCHER UPDATE
    STOCK CONTACTS

k123456 wrote: »

Save the atomic mod zip to your micro sd, I found it easiest to power down phone, insert into card reader, and into laptop, save the zip to the sd

In essence per the link, you install clockwork to phone, this makes it bootable to CW, to get to CW on boot , you need to press two buttons at the same time, these are detailed in thread, but I think vol up and power.

you now see a CW menu, similar to going into the BIOS on a PC, you navigate the menu, using vol up and down, and home to select

BTW once the Mod has been installed , next time you need to use CW, you can boot the phone form the phone shut down menu. handy if you want to install another mod at some stage
    I used CW to install additional patches : G talk and Weather Widget per page 1 of
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/355090-rom-atomicmod-huawei-g300-b190612-updated-22-06-12/

ADD-ON'S:
    STOCK GALLERY
    GOOGLE TALK
    SIM TOOL KIT
    WEATHER WIDGET
    STOCK MUSIC
    ADD EMAIL APP
    HUAWEI LOCKSCREEN
    LAUNCHER UPDATE
    STOCK CONTACTS
    What are them add on's about? Are they like the original apps and software that came out of the box? I notice you can download them on that page you linked and how do you install them?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

ADD-ON'S:
    STOCK GALLERY
    GOOGLE TALK
    SIM TOOL KIT
    WEATHER WIDGET
    STOCK MUSIC
    ADD EMAIL APP
    HUAWEI LOCKSCREEN
    LAUNCHER UPDATE
    STOCK CONTACTS

So, from what your saying, once i put the zipped atomic mod on the external sd card, boot it up as above then thats it??? do this once then the phone will boot up on atomic mod from now on?? job done ??

i wish the link would say stuff like you said, simple but if it doesnt tell you to put atomic mod on the sd card, it just says download and install from here.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Personally I think it's a good idea to back up the current rom before loading a new one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Just bought one of these for my wife. Looks like a great phone. Atomic mod seems to be the way to go. The likelyhood of an upgrade to ICS is limited (she wont be arsed). Is atomic good enough for long term use?

ADD-ON'S:
    STOCK GALLERY
    GOOGLE TALK
    SIM TOOL KIT
    WEATHER WIDGET
    STOCK MUSIC
    ADD EMAIL APP
    HUAWEI LOCKSCREEN
    LAUNCHER UPDATE
    STOCK CONTACTS

So, from what your saying, once i put the zipped atomic mod on the external sd card, boot it up as above then thats it??? do this once then the phone will boot up on atomic mod from now on?? job done ??

i wish the link would say stuff like you said, simple but if it doesnt tell you to put atomic mod on the sd card, it just says download and install from here.

Thanks.

Install Clock work per :
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/353860-help-im-new-and-i-cant-do/

This makes your phone bootable to a Clock work environment
    You then use Clock work to flash the rom, which u have saved on Zip

The Rom is excellent, but is missing some minor addons, : google talk etc

If you need any of the addons, you use CW to flash these addons , these add ons are Zip files as is the Rom

Best to read thru 1st :
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/353860-help-im-new-and-i-cant-do/

I've installed clockwork mod ok.

I then installed atomic mod.

when i boot up phone i get a atomic mod graphic across the screen, like a screen saver - but it doesn;t boot up the phone. i;ve waited a few mins and still the same and pressed buttons.

i didnt back up the original vodafone rom, could someone send me a copy of link to a copy in case i need to re-install the original rom.

thanks.

ignore last post...got it going thank god :)

after 4 or 5 goes , i reset factory settings again in clockwork mod. i removed the sd card before bootin which is the only thing i done diff this time...

• Advertisement

I've installed clockwork mod ok.

I then installed atomic mod.

when i boot up phone i get a atomic mod graphic across the screen, like a screen saver - but it doesn;t boot up the phone. i;ve waited a few mins and still the same and pressed buttons.

i didnt back up the original vodafone rom, could someone send me a copy of link to a copy in case i need to re-install the original rom.

thanks.
    There's links to stock roms on Modaco. The only Vodafone one is the Vodafone UK one though. It also seems to be the only one on Huawei's website. Don't know if that makes a difference and I've no idea where you'd get a VF Ireland rom unless somebody still using it could dump it from their phone.

Have you tried pulling the battery and rebooting?

have to say i'd recomend the phone, worth the money for what u get.

when i installed the atomic rom, i noticed my contacts are gone, i did choose option to delete data in clockworkmod menu, but i transfered them again from my old phone and they still dont appear.

Modified ver of ICS, not entirely sure if one can update/flash from Atomic

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355563-romics-miuiv4-274-for-the-huawei-ascend-g300last-updated-0407/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Funny seeing a good few names here that I recognise from the Orange San Francisco thread! Think I'm gonna take the plunge and replace mine with this phone. Seems like the logical next step.

I've got a Tesco sim to get the 20 quid off so I'm going to go into a Vodafone store and see if I can get them to unlock the phone for me. Think I'll say that I travel abroad a lot so it is a deal breaker for me and see what happens.

I went into a Vodafone store yesterday and had a look at the phone and it looks and feels pretty good. One thing though was that the volume rocker on the side didn't feel like it would be very responsive. But does it work ok when the phone is switched on?

Also, I have read a few issues about the music speaker and it being too low. Is that the case or has that been fixed now? And how well does the FM Radio work?

With the San Francisco I usually had to carry my MP3 player around as well because it just wasn't up to the task of replacing it because the volume was too low on it over headphones. I'm hoping that this phone will be able to fully replace my Mp3 player.

Funny seeing a good few names here that I recognise from the Orange San Francisco thread! Think I'm gonna take the plunge and replace mine with this phone. Seems like the logical next step.

I've got a Tesco sim to get the 20 quid off so I'm going to go into a Vodafone store and see if I can get them to unlock the phone for me. Think I'll say that I travel abroad a lot so it is a deal breaker for me and see what happens.

I went into a Vodafone store yesterday and had a look at the phone and it looks and feels pretty good. One thing though was that the volume rocker on the side didn't feel like it would be very responsive. But does it work ok when the phone is switched on?

Also, I have read a few issues about the music speaker and it being too low. Is that the case or has that been fixed now? And how well does the FM Radio work?

With the San Francisco I usually had to carry my MP3 player around as well because it just wasn't up to the task of replacing it because the volume was too low on it over headphones. I'm hoping that this phone will be able to fully replace my Mp3 player.
    I've had no issues with the volume rocker (although I can't wait for an ICS based CyanogenMod so I can skip tracks by long pressing up or down). My phone came with the B886 rom already installed so I never had the low volume issues other people had plus I upgraded to B888 and now ics. It's still not quite as loud as my mp3 player but it's loud enough not to need to bring that with me any more.

And how well does the FM Radio work : It works, but at max volume, the volume is just OK, if you are on a train, or near a busy road, u will struggle to hear properly

Have not tried mp3

I am using Atomic Mod

Khannie wrote: »
    Is atomic good enough for long term use?

Anyone using atomic able to comment on that? Her phone arrived today and I'll probably flash it tonight.
    Funny seeing a good few names here that I recognise from the Orange San Francisco thread!

Indeed. The cool gang. :D I only got rid of my SF there recently because I got a free phone upgrade with work. Great little phone that was. My wife is trading her SF for this. From great bargain to great bargain. Should be a nice little upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Using Atomic Mod myself, fantastic and very stable, battery readings are up and down but thats a Huawei Bug. Upgraded from the OSF, funny how everyone has moved on to the G300.

Have atomic mod up and running and its good. Well happy with the phone for the price, would highly recommend it.

Thanks to everyone on here for the help in getting it set up.:)

Installed atomic mod on it last night. Very nice little phone once that was done. Good upgrade path from the SF. The slightly larger screen, faster processor and more inbuilt storage are all very welcome additions. Only 110 euro with a switch from 02 prepay which went flawlessly. Bargain.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    Installed atomic mod on it last night. Very nice little phone once that was done. Good upgrade path from the SF. The slightly larger screen, faster processor and more inbuilt storage are all very welcome additions. Only 110 euro with a switch from 02 prepay which went flawlessly. Bargain.

Anyone any though on how to fix (or a workaround) the low vol issue over headphones using Radio and possibly Music player

Anyone any though on how to fix (or a workaround) the low vol issue over headphones using Radio and possibly Music player
    I'm on Atomic Mod and I don't see any problems with the volume. But when I plug in them ****ty headphones it's a bit low alright. Just get a decent set of headphones and you'll be grand.

And does anyone know how to transfer contacts from my sim? They're not coming up at all.

I'm on Atomic Mod and I don't see any problems with the volume. But when I plug in them ****ty headphones it's a bit low alright. Just get a decent set of headphones and you'll be grand.

And does anyone know how to transfer contacts from my sim? They're not coming up at all.
    Have you tried the settings in Contacts to see if it's set to display sim contacts. I think it's in the Manage option - you can choose Gmail contacts, Phone contacts or Sim contacts or a combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fibrescale

Got this phone today but when i turn it on this comes up
    "the process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly"
    the phone also doesnt recognise that i have a simcard in the phone,when i do
    any help appreciated Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Hi guys, im rooted and would like to instal rom. Which one is the best for this phone so far? Current one vf is a bit slow.... Also can you check if option wcdma only is available in setings? My wife uses three network and loses 3g regularly... I need to then use codes to manualy change the settings but this way is not good - *#*#4636#*#*
    I wish to permanently set "wcdma only"
    Do other roms have this option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Fibrescale wrote: »
    Got this phone today but when i turn it on this comes up
    "the process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly"
    the phone also doesnt recognise that i have a simcard in the phone,when i do
    any help appreciated Thank you

You need a new sim card. Read the earlier posts, it was mentioned there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fibrescale

jgbyr wrote: »
    You need a new sim card. Read the earlier posts, it was mentioned there.
    Bit dissappointed to hear that but thanks for replying! :)

Adyx wrote: »
    Have you tried the settings in Contacts to see if it's set to display sim contacts. I think it's in the Manage option - you can choose Gmail contacts, Phone contacts or Sim contacts or a combination.
    I can't find how to get into any settings for contacts? I know that option comes up when you just add a new contact but I can't find any settings. I'm on Atomic Mod btw.

I can't find how to get into any settings for contacts? I know that option comes up when you just add a new contact but I can't find any settings. I'm on Atomic Mod btw.
    I'm on ICS and it's changed slightly since GB but if go to Contacts then press the menu button (the one on the left that's 4 horizontal lines) you should get the Settings menu.

Edit: Dug out my VF Smart which is still CM7 so assuming Atomic Mod is more or less the same - it's Contacts > Menu button > Display Options > Choose Contacts to Display. You should have choices such as you@gmail.com, Phone, Sim or any other accounts you have set up. Like I said you can choose to display almost any combination of these options.

If that doesn't work I'd imagine there's a problem with either your sim or your phone. Can you check if the sim contacts display on another phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Where is the official ICS firmware for this located?

And do you need to root the phone to install it?

Any drawbacks with this official ICS?

Advertisement