Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

For Redb....a pic of the pool....but not the steamy pool pic, that will have to come next week....

This was last evening....it was gorgeous here!!!

Pool is 20 yards...two lanes....it suits my needs and is SO convenient!!!

pool pic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Dory Dory wrote: »
    For Redb....a pic of the pool....but not the steamy pool pic, that will have to come next week....

This was last evening....it was gorgeous here!!!

Pool is 20 yards...two lanes....it suits my needs and is SO convenient!!!

pool pic.jpg

WOW! !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Haven't had the chance to wish you happy birthday here Dory Dory. What a great week for you- birthday, new bike (fab by the way!!) and what I can imagine will be a fantastic race on Sunday. I'm wishing you luck but you definitely dont need it. Your training has been brilliant. Cant wait to read the epic, inspirational report :)

Easy Field Run With Spiffy Spots

Headed out the door for my final session before the marathon to do an easy run with a few quick spurts to wakeup the legs and remind them what it feels like to move quickly. Once around the field and I was enjoying the slow pace and the gorgeous evening. Twice around the field and I was causing a little deer chaos, so (thankfully, most of the field's hay had been baled recently so I had running options) I changed up my usual perimeter path to avoid disturbing them further.

Legs felt good.....body felt good......form was periodically slipping....arms were pumping. Trotted easy for 1.59 miles, then first spiffy spurt (.11 mile, 43.88, 6:31 pace), .36 mile easy, then spiffy spurt (.11 mile, 41.47, 6:28 pace), .36 mile easy, then spiffy spurt (.11, 40.92, 6:22 pace), .36 mile easy, then spiffy spurt (.11 mile, 40.22, 6:22 pace), .95 mile easy.

Per Garmin:
    4.06 miles in 37:20.81 for an average pace of 9:12 min/mile.

Well, that's it...the work is done. Travel tomorrow, then then roll down the hill begins at 8am on Sunday....in the cold and rain....lubed up on body glide and wearing a garbage bag. I'm glad this training cycle is over - I've been burned out and bored for some of the 18 weeks, and having to spread the focus of half of these 18 weeks over multiple disciplines has been both a blessing and a challenge for my running confidence since my running mileage is down.....and then there was the heat and humidity that became like Pavlov's bell to me, but not in a good way. It's time to see where I am, and I'm ready to find out where that is. I will use serious discipline at the beginning of the run to not push my pace, I will relax and enjoy the first 20 miles as much as possible while staying as close to a smart pace as possible, then I hope to have enough in the tank to bring me home without crashing and burning. And if I do crash and burn, I will still finish with a smile on my face and learn from this experience. And now I need to pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Very best of luck Dory Dory. Like so many others, I'll be keeping my browser refreshed, until I see that result pop up on the screen. Just keep thinking of that dog on a leash (straining with anticipaton) until mile 20. Then just let her rip. Unleash hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Every best wish tomorrow Dory. Keep Her Lit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Best of luck Dory - sweet pool, BTW!

Although, next time have a few bikini clad locals lounging around in it, for even better effect...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

You know what you need to do - now smash it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good Luck Dory. You're well ready.
    Calm and cool for the next few hours :p

Can't wait for the race report.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck mad one! You'll do wonderful. I just know ya will. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Best of luck DD. Don't forget, the more water you carry, the faster you'll be.

water_carrier.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Good timing for my weekly visit over to the dark side to say good luck for tomorrow. As the others have said you will smash it and have great fun trying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Best of luck tomorrow, hope you've a brilliant run, can't wait to hear all about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Was watching the Galway Half today in perfect weather - lucky you with a race tomorrow. Hope it goes well

Popping in for a quickie....
    Highlights thus far -

Rained, blew some wind, got chilly....bought me a pair of Race Ready shorts at the Expo (thanks Emer and Rachel for raving about these).

Met up with boardsie lurker DukeOfDromada!!! That's right, Irish blood right here in Scranton with me who, it turns out, is from the same County as my peeps are from...and, and this may be a longshot through marriages and cousins and death and creative genealogy, but we could be related. His wife is lovely...he's all set for the run....and we're doing dinner together tonight.

Rain may hold off until noon tomorrow, so if I get my act together and get it done properly, then I won't be donning my garbage bag. Shucks, and I worked so hard cutting out the head and arm holes!

Attended a discussion about the course with The Duke....and we both have been properly programmed to NOT go out too fast. Drat!! Banking time always sounds like such a good idea, but I will trust the wisdom of the Scranton marathon panel and you wise folks and mind my pace.

That's it.....will bundle up at the start and then do my best strip tease as I make my way through the miles. I think the only requirement I saw in the rules was that my bib number has to be facing forward as I cross the finish line. Note to self: don't toss the number!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck tomorrow. Looking forward to the report....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck tomorrow!! You GO GIRL!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Odin Drab Firefighter

I expect fantastic things from you, don't let us down:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the very best DD. You have great work put down with all that hill running - no bother to ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck DD :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

And remember that you've got a few guardian angels looking out for you too ;) best of luck and enjoy

Who ever said running downhill was easy should be evaluated for mental stability...and I think there were a few hills in the middle they forgot to mention ....but it was fun, and a PB is a PB even if I'm not quite where I want to be yet. Garmin clocked 26.7 miles at 3:39:xx.....not sure where the extra 1/2 mile came from, but the two girls I was running with had similar extra mileage on their Garmins too. Of course the mind is calculating.....

I will write up a report in a day or two, but I want to give a special shout out to DukeOfDromada who killled this run. He came in at a sizzling 3:06 and immediatley threw his name in the Boston hat. Serious congratulations to him!!

Heading home now....5 hours in a car, and I can't even imagine how the legs will feel when i arrive home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done on the PB Dory. Cant wait to read all the details when you're ready and able.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Congrats Dory!
    Hope the legs aren't too stiff by the time you get home :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

Good job Dory.sounds like a tough day at the office.Hope you enjoyed it.Its time to take it easy for a few days before you inevitably start training like crazy again.Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done on the PB DD and i hope the legs aren't too bad today, 5hrs in the car wouldn't help after a marathon in a great time. enjoy the recovery! looking forward to the report!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

then my thread is your thread. :D;)

First off, many belated congratulations on your run. A tough day either way and with the commute to and from ? brilliant work and not a total shock since you've been training away endlessly.

A race report of sorts ...
    The noises within an anxious crowd on race day is something I've missed. The languages at an international race all sound different obviously but inevitably people are muttering the same the world over. More than once whilst waiting in the queue for the toilets I'm met with the familiar echo's of 'I really haven't been training that much', 'I've missed too many quality sessions to be competitive' and 'Sh*t sh*t sh*t, this is gonna hurt'.

For me, this was to be the final event of a pretty poor year. A broken bone in my foot in late May and another bout of illness mid July saw any hopes of getting consistent work done in either swimming, biking or running training gone for the seasons main objectives but with what I'd managed to do I felt it was worth the airfare and time off to try and get some payback at this Autumn event that Id competed at just once before 3 years ago. Unfortunately that event went spectacularly wrong. Id ignored the early warning signs before travelling and ended up a DNF after the initial salvos. It had been a poor showing by any standards, full of rookie mistakes with pacing and I vowed that given the chance to get back I'd stick to a plan that would ensure I could produce a more measured effort over the course of the event rather than burning all my matches early on.
    This years event was a 3 stage affair. I'd struggled all week with sleep and an early flight from Dublin was spent listening to some tunes and sipping carbo drinks. Those travelling with me were busy fueling up. The usual smiles and nods whilst collecting bags and gear at arrivals and a 60 minute transfer to the accommodation. Aphex Twin's Didgeridoo at volume was the sound track as the gun went that afternoon and things got going in earnest, in stunning sunshine. Hydration was going to be key to avoid cramping.
    The markers went by one after another and after 3 or 4 I'd settled into a comfortable pace. In my head I was thinking - start too fast and you'll run the risk of another DNF, start too slow and the wall of self doubt will rapidly raise itself and soon passer bys are whispering 'light weight'. Its a tight rope and either side of a thin 'perfect event' line in ones imagination is the pain and suffering of defeat.

Like any endurance event - do we really know the answers to 'Have I done enough?' 'Have I got what it takes?' and 'How the hell is she carrying so many full beers at once?' long story short is I went very deep into the well over the course of this 3 day in Munich but will wrap it up to say that it does take its toll but I've all winter to recover.

I've included a pictures of me and the guys at the event below. Would thoroughly recommend the trip - but as above, pacing is key.

oktoberfest-580.jpg

Ha!! Oktoberfest!!! I'm guessing you are the one with the lederhosen on?? You are too funny -witty man! I am putting finishing touches on my race report.....hate having to follow you, but I'll spin you as my opening act to warm up the crowd! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Ha!! Oktoberfest!!! I'm guessing you are the one with the lederhosen on?? You are too funny -witty man! I am putting finishing touches on my race report.....hate having to follow you, but I'll spin you as my opening act to warm up the crowd! ;)

Crowd's getting restless :D. Congrats on the race. That's a good downpayment on Boston (btw, I am extremely jealous!).

• Advertisement

Nearly there.....;)

Advertisement