Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of fuel in Co.Wexford..Where's the cheapest/dearest fuel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

160.9 unleaded once again in Topaz , down-town New Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

On average the petrol prices around the county seem to be €1.56 a litre.

I'm amazed so many people complain about petrol prices to be honest. Yet they drive around in gas-guzzlers. I thought we were in a recession. Pfft!!! Every second car is a new one. People should get a smaller car if their not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Conas wrote: »
    On average the petrol prices around the county seem to be €1.56 a litre.

I'm amazed so many people complain about petrol prices to be honest. Yet they drive around in gas-guzzlers. I thought we were in a recession. Pfft!!! Every second car is a new one. People should get a smaller car if their not happy.

99% of those driving new cars are older folk who do about 10 miles a week so the price of fuel doesn't really affect them.
    The crazy prices are crippling those who drive regularly especially commuters or those who need bigger cars or mpv's to ferry kids around.
    As alluded to a few posts up,filling stations hike prices immediately but are slow to drop them & use excuses such as "waiting for new stocks @ the lower rates to arrive".Shower of cnuts imo,they know that we need fuel & gouge us at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

99%? Wow! I would love to have a look at the study you undertook to come up with that statistic. Yes though, I had to get rid of my car because I couldn't afford to keep the thing running, and it was all down to petrol. €25 filled it 5 years ago. In 2011, €50 nearly filled it. I shudder to think where the prices have gone since, I choose to ignore them largely.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just have a look at the drivers of 12 reg cars & you'll see the age profile of them is very similar,mostly older folk who have Micras etc.
    I watch my mileage a lot more these days,no more Sunday drives & use the car as a necessity rather than a luxury.I try to avoid the more expensive garages & tend to buy fuel where I see it's cheaper but won't go out of my way to a cheaper place-kind of defeats the purpose if you burn more fuel while trying to save a few cent per litre.

Back on topic,average price of petrol around Enniscorthy is 158.9c per litre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Every second car is a new one

A lot of people switching to smaller diesel cars with more efficient engines, to save money in the long run.

That's what I did.

Come now on in fairness, 90% people in this country wouldn't be seen in a small old car. It's not just the older folks driving the new cars, it's working class people aswell. Then they go along and moan about how the banks ruined the country, yet so many people are driving around in Merc, BMW's, and other new makes of cars aswell, that cost thousands. How can they afford it? No money in the country is what their all saying? It really pisses me off to be honest. All this moaning about petrol prices etc. Buy a motorbike if you aren't happy, Cycle a bike if your not happy. If you think you have it bad, then go spend a week in some straving village in Africa, where they have to walk miles just for a drink of water. People in this country are warped, and worry about f*ck all. Moan, Moan, Moan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Conas wrote: »
    Come now on in fairness, 90% people in this country wouldn't be seen in a small old car. It's not just the older folks driving the new cars, it's working class people aswell. Then they go along and moan about how the banks ruined the country, yet so many people are driving around in Merc, BMW's, and other new makes of cars aswell, that cost thousands. How can they afford it? No money in the country is what their all saying? It really pisses me off to be honest. All this moaning about petrol prices etc. Buy a motorbike if you aren't happy, Cycle a bike if your not happy. If you think you have it bad, then go spend a week in some straving village in Africa, where they have to walk miles just for a drink of water. People in this country are warped, and worry about f*ck all. Moan, Moan, Moan.
    Nice to see Michael o leary following this thread. U getting into the oil business now Michael???

People in this country are warped, and worry about f*ck all. Moan, Moan, Moan.

Conas is right... I mean you've got people moaning about petrol prices and then you've got people like Conas moaning about the, err... moaning.... :confused:

I'm moaning about something that's actually happening. It's just most people seem to be blind to it. Everyone is complaining about the price of petrol, and I agree it's very dear, but just look at what people are driving around in. What are you expecting? To put a few gallons in the tank and expect it to run forever? Don't buy big gas-guzzlers then, there's your solution.

Just remember the bigger the car you drive the more litres you use. Then the rich oil companies get away with over charging for a barrel, the goverment get away with over taxing, and the only person that gets screwed over is you the consumer. If people didn't buy the big gas guzzlers in the first place just to show off to their friends and neighbours, which is the only reason they buy the big gas guzzlers, then you'd find that the tax on oil and cost of a barrel would be reduced.

• Advertisement

I have a 2012 Kia Rio 1.4 diesel (small right?) and for me the price of fuel sucks.

Where are these "gas guzzlers" that you talk about? All I see on the road are the usual mundane cars, Ford focus/mondeo, Toyota corolla/avensis/yaris, all averaging 32-45 mpg, by no stretch of the imagination " gas guzzlers". Your post is rubbish quite frankly. The biggest gripe people have in Wexford is that the hungry fuel retailers aren't passing on the price DECREASES but in the blink of an eye slap on the increases.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I have a 2012 Kia Rio 1.4 diesel (small right?) and for me the price of fuel sucks.
    +1 Even if it was a 3 litre v8 the price of fuel is still outrageous.

jca wrote: »
    Where are these "gas guzzlers" that you talk about? All I see on the road are the usual mundane cars, Ford focus/mondeo, Toyota corolla/avensis/yaris, all averaging 32-45 mpg, by no stretch of the imagination " gas guzzlers". Your post is rubbish quite frankly. The biggest gripe people have in Wexford is that the hungry fuel retailers aren't passing on the price DECREASES but in the blink of an eye slap on the increases.

I look around and see loads of 09's and 10's, that cost about 15.000. Why don't people buy an 02 or 03 of the same make for about 3 or 4.000? and it would be just as good a car. Then look at what you'd be saving? People moan about it being outrageous, but yet everyone still flocks to the petrol stations in their thousands each day. Everyone still flocks to the garages to purchase their overpriced new cars each year, just to show off to their friends and the public. It's well known that the whole motor trade in this country is a total rip off, and the price per litre could easily climb to €2 a litre over the next five years. So be prepared, it's going to get worse.

Why don't people buy an 02 or 03 of the same make for about 3 or 4.000? and it would be just as good a car.

After about 7 years a reasonably well driven car will start to cause standard wear and tear issues (exhaust, catalytic converter, shocks, water pumps etc). The cost of repair can often be close to the value of the car.

I got rid of my 10 year old Peugout simply because it was starting to cost me money and it was time to move on. The car was worth about €800 at the time.

The fact that I could afford to buy a new car has nothing to do with the price of fuel.

BTW - Older cars tend to be less fuel efficient than newer models.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

jca wrote: »

If people continue to pay the price, why would the garage decrease?

If people continue to pay the price, why would the garage decrease?

And the alternative is... ?

160.9 unleaded once again in Topaz , down-town New Ross

Same service station has reduced it to 158.9 unleaded , - today

Exactly!! We as customers have no say. Believe me if I had the power to tell these overcharging garages to pass on the decreases when they are due. I'd use it:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

exactly!

• Advertisement

exactly!

Exactly what?

It's far too simplistic to imply that demand alone empowers garages to charge whatever they see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

trevr wrote: »
    TBH I don't think Maxol Inc care what a few individuals think of their prices as long as sales hold up and its by far the busiest forecourt in town. Maxol own that place not any local individual and they control the pricing. But if you can find Mr Maxol give him a kickin the nuts from me too !!

I have to disagree with you trevr. Anyone who leases a station from Maxol has complete discretion as to what they charge ( as long as it's not too cheap :) )

Maxol care very much for their public image so I would imagine that if they got complaints they would do something about it. Moaning on a forum is not the same as contacting the company directly.

paulaa wrote: »
    Maxol care very much for their public image so I would imagine that if they got complaints they would do something about it. Moaning on a forum is not the same as contacting the company directly.

You might aswell be banging your head off a brick wall as opposed to doing that. These companies don't care, and they have an answer for everything, or they'll roll out some sort of an excuse.

I had quite a lot of dealings with Maxol over the years and, unless things have changed an awful lot, they always prided themselves on their customer service and being the only Irish owned oil company in Ireland.

NO
    company can afford to ignore customer complaints but they have to get them first

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Applegreen Drinagh 1.55.8

Roches 159.9

At weekend.

4 cent difference - Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

vicwatson wrote: »
    Applegreen Drinagh 155.8

Roches 159.9

At weekend.

4 cent difference - Pathetic

Tried to put the thread back on track but......:rolleyes:

(excuse back seat modding, not intended, point I'm making is that the thread title is to state the cheapest/dearest fuel in Wexford and it has the possibility of skidding away from that)

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Sorry to move to Home heating but am keen to know what prices are at present for kerosene

Point taken vicwatson. There have been lots of little detours since you last made a contribution to this thread on June 12th. It happens naturally on all threads/discussions and is still relevant to the price of fuel in Wexford imo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I have family home from Germany at the moment and they can't get over the price of fuel in Ireland now. Last time they were home (Oct 2011) German prices were 8/10c more expensive, now petrol, even with the recent reductions is much the same and diesel prices in Germany are actually3/4c cheaper. Are the Germans buying cheaper oil? somehow I doubt it. Price of petrol in Courtown today is 171.9 :eek:

• Advertisement

paulaa wrote: »
    I had quite a lot of dealings with Maxol over the years and, unless things have changed an awful lot, they always prided themselves on their customer service and being the only Irish owned oil company in Ireland.

Paulaa don't know where you got that info from .- but its incorrect.

Anyways , looks like we have a new brand name in town tonight - Gala Waterford Road New Ross is now Campus .-

159.9 unleaded
    149.9 diesel

Advertisement