Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

my neighbour carried her rubbish out of the house in small portions to dump it into public bins to save on bin tags..
    also she put the milk, butter etc out on the window sill to not use the fridge. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

My older brother steamed open the envelope containing the mother's Xmas dues for the local priest, took out the €50 and put in a €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

my granny was one of the stingiest people I know. and for sure she wasn't short of money at all.

one of the best bits:

we as grandchildren got the old books from her children for christmas or birthday. so sometimes there was the name of our father or auntie written in the book

she kept the wrappin paper from cake from the bakery. she wrapped our presents in it. once one was fixed with a small NAIL (too stingy to buy sellotape)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Lived with a real stingy fecker in college for two years, he was always tight when it came to spending any few quid, he had to be constantly asked for his share of the bills and he would always drink whatever was on special offer in the off licence.... he very very rarely joined us for a drink in the pub. I personally didnt mind it much at the time cause in fairness a lot of students have feck all cash and i have no idea if his parents were well off. But his outstanding stingiest moment came right at the end of his stay with us, one of the lads had bought a couple of packets of crisps in the local shop, he opened and ate one pack and noticed the unopened pack had a small black envelope in it. Back then if there was a envelope in the packet it meant a free packet voucher, we toddled off to the pub and the following morning my mate noticed the packet had been slit open and the envelope removed!! Now the chap saved himself about 20p on the crisps but i will always remember him for it, jaysus we done some laughing at the sheer pathetic nature of the chap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Don't understand why everyone is so down on Craig Doyle?
    I think you need to re-evaluate your life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭DramaQuee

Victor wrote: »
    My expenditure to date on this Christmas: €12. :)

Earlier I wrote:

Guess: homeless persons splashes out on 2 bottles of plonk.

Now it isn't there.
    Could it be possible, Victor, as a mod, deleted it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

DramaQuee wrote: »
    Earlier I wrote:

Now it isn't there.

Victor isn't an AH mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Earlier I wrote:

Now it isn't there.

I just looked (curiosity won over). It's still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Guess: Chrimbo for homeless person who has just bought himself 2 bottles of plonk?
    Earlier I wrote:

Now it isn't there.
    Its still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I went on holiday to Malta a few years back and it was August so very hot. On our first night there, my friend and I went down for a bite to eat, having not had anything all day. I order a sandwich and wine and she just has tap water. When I ask is she not having aything she takes a cooler bag out of her handbag filled with sandwiches she had prepared at home (and squashed into her lugguage)! She lasted on them for the first 2 days and then used coppers to pay for the rest of her food, it killed her to break any notes. I couldnt believe how tight that was.

Worse was to follow- on a day trip in 40 degree heat, we all ran to the caravan selling snacks to get some water down our parched throats. It was 2euros but we were literally dying from the heat so we all paid-except my friend. She literally had a purple face from the heat but wouldnt buy any water, insisting "Im fine". I was gonna give her some of my water but then I thought to hell with her, nobody that tight deserves it! I dont go on holidays with her anymore, I couldnt hold my tongue again. :mad:

Been to Malta myself, Gozo specifically, which is slightly cooler than the 'mainland' and the heat in August is absoloutley nuts, having been on many a sun holiday I have never experienced heat like it, how the frig did your friend not combust from the heat??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,939 ✭✭✭✭event

ken wrote: »
    Who in the name of sweet Jesus host's a bbq without actually being in possession of the most fundamental piece of the puzzle. The fücking bbq itself.

itd be like having a house party when you dont have a house

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Both my sister and father are so stingy. My sister lives with her BF in a rented house with the last few years and some of her antics represent absolute stingyness. She lives 5mins away from my parents so is always at home too.

When her and the BF moved in together there was a full tank of oil, that subsequently ran out and airlocked the boiler (Which I was able to fix for free) and she convinced my father to pay for a full tank of oil costing nearly €900 last year and he did as he had recently retired with a lump sum.

She tried the exact same stunt this year except I found out and raised concerns and stopped it. She and the BF subsequently put €500 of oil into the tank themselves. I also know they are 4 months behind on the rent of the house. But the landlord seems okay with it.

Other classical stingy things she does is she brings over her and the BF's laundry despite they having a washing machine in the house and washes and drys it at home; her excuse is they have no dryer. But for me the absolute height of stingyness is when she comes over to my parents and will take a shower 3 to 4 evenings a week whilst there. Her ESB bill is like €60 - €70 every two months whilst my parents could get a bill for €250 every 2 months. She would also make all her phone calls from home and often would be responsible for more than half the bill, I convinced my father to cut off mobile dialling on the home phone and it saw the bill reduce alot as she can't run up a bill now.

She actually was responsible for my father getting a reprimand at his job around 10 - 12 years ago when she was a teenager as she would take his company phone and spend alot of time on it, he had to pay over £100 one month towards his phone bill which would normally be capped at £40/month and this was her ringing friends and boyfriends from my fathers phone. She tries the same trick with me to this day, ring so and so there you have loads of free minutes as I'm on Billpay.

Her car never gets more than €30 worth of petrol and spends half the time running on the red fuel light. She never services the car or maintains it properly. It currently has one front bald tire and a blown headlight plus an outstanding bill for €100 in the garage, her rule seems to be "thou shall not pay bills until the last possible moment". Having told her of the bald tire, I was told "if you are so worried why don't you buy me a tire so, I'm sick of spending money on that car".

She almost seized the engine this year as it flashed the oil light and I was delighted as it cost her €220 in repairs. She also got my parents to give her €7k towards the car a few years back also as it was bought new. She has no respect for the car and treats it rough.

In 2011 my mother was very ill and was off work for 3 months, she took my mothers car to work most days and filled it with diesel from my parents home supply tank, the excuse Petrol costs me too much and the car isn't being used while she is off work. My mother is a hopeless case of a driver and my sister will drive her wherever she wants to go but will never take her own car unless my mothers car is not available, and she will also routinely borrow my mothers car to go places, especially long drives.

She tried very hard this year into convincing my parents to buy her a house, taking my father to viewings etc. My mother thankfully put a stop to that plan of hers telling her if she wants a house the BF can buy it. He incidentaly earns over €40k a year and my sister €20k and is quite well up the stingy ladder also, his best was to go into the hotel looking for his "lost" coat after a wedding last year and coming out with someone elses coat. This year my sisters coat got stolen so I thought it was Karma for him nicking someone elses coat.

My sister takes after my father who is famously stingy (to the point of stupidity) and I could write a whole blog on him. His best is when he makes tea he will often routinely take the cup of tea and proceed to hold it under the cold tap to cool the tea in order to "spare the milk". He also routinely kicks up a stink over washing his clothes stating categorically that too much washing will wear out the clothes sooner, this despite some of his old clothes being nearly 20 years and anything new is either a Birthday or Christmas present from either my sister, my mother or myself.

He has done the tea cooling thing countless times and will often do it when we have visitors in order to shame my mother. He also turns off all the lights all the time and if he was walking to the living room from the kitchen he'd turn off the lights in the corridor, kitchen etc. with no regard for other people. This has led to trips and bumps through the years for my sister, mother and myself. His arquement "Keep down the ESB bills" despite they being energy saver bulbs which use practically nothing anyway.

He steams off stamps and has been in his element the last two weeks with all the Christmas cards arriving; he has the stamps kept and he will be using them for his postage up until next June or July and he left mother to buy her own stamps and he proclaimed last week that sending Christmas cards was "simpleness of the mind" and routinely declares how he hates Christmas and how it was invented by shops to sell rubbish.

When we were Children we were told about "Santy's Grave" each year and how "Santy was in a terrible sleigh crash and not to expect much this year". My mother always ensured we had good Christmases and it just shows the sort of stupid stingy mentality which he has which can be so hillarious at times and other times downright embarrassing.

He demanded to see the manager of a SuperValu store this summer over the price of a bottle of fizzy orange, the manager gave it to him free and he proclaimed victory over the "thieves in SuperValu with their daylight robbery and what they were charging me" he told practically everyone about this for nearly a month.

When the old dishwasher at home gave up he noticed a fall in the esb bill and subsequently banned it from the house, I got a new one installed this week for my mother and he would make a big deal everytime it was discussed that "there was no new dishwasher coming into this house while i'm alive"; despite this though he always expected my mother to do the dishes and when it was installed this week my mother told him you can wash yours by hand, it will use less electricity despite I getting a new one which takes a hot water feed so the electricity usage would be about a third of the old one.

He even got big magnets out of a speaker and tried inventing a way of stopping the esb meter turning to cut down on the bill. I told him it could work the opposite way and increase it so he abandoned that hair brained idea.

My father drives an absolute crock of Van, it is laughable and it recently gave up as the filters were blocked from want of servicing. The icing on the cake was this week when he heard I had got the new Dishwasher he insisted I cancel the delivery and he'd collect it not to be wasting money when "I have such a good van outside".

The central locking has been giving trouble recently and when we got to the store I locked the van whilst we went inside and cancelled the delivery and I got the collection docket, we drove around the back and whilst doing so the van locked itself and we were locked in leaving me to climb out the window and open the sliding door with the key as the barrels in the van door are pretty jammed and wouldn't open. It happened again coming home and we had to drive into my uncles house and get him to come out to unlock the van and let us out of it, I was blamed for "whatever thumbing you done" when I locked it back at the Electrical shop. My uncle had a great laugh at us.

This year me and my sister decided we'd buy my parents a Holiday to Lanzarote and I booked it with my father's credit card and I paid him my half of the money, my sister gave 25% and caught my father for the other 25% (fatherly Daugter). When they came back home from the holiday my father biggest complaint was the price of things out there (which are cheaper than Ireland anyway!) and how he couldn't get my mother out of the shops, he also bought an alarm clock out there which he said was awful waste having forgot to pack him own.

My mother also accidentally packed all the sun creams and toilitries in her carry-on and they were seized under the 100mls rule and he was lamenting the loss of his bottle of shampoo for about the guts of two weeks afterwards. This was only their second trip abroad in ten years with the last being a weekend to his sister in England on €20 Ryanair flights I got for them in 2009, he still tells people about the great deal he got on those flights.

There is many more stories but I'll have to make another post, he says he plans to do his Christmas shopping on Christmas eve when according to him; "The rip-off shops will be forced to drop their prices" more hillarity will ensue I am certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Stinicker wrote: »
    Both my sister and father are so stingy. My sister lives with her BF in a rented house with the last few years and some of her antics represent absolute stingyness. She lives 5mins away from my parents so is always at home too.

When her and the BF moved in together there was a full tank of oil, that subsequently ran out and airlocked the boiler (Which I was able to fix for free) and she convinced my father to pay for a full tank of oil costing nearly €900 last year and he did as he had recently retired with a lump sum.

She tried the exact same stunt this year except I found out and raised concerns and stopped it. She and the BF subsequently put €500 of oil into the tank themselves. I also know they are 4 months behind on the rent of the house. But the landlord seems okay with it.

Other classical stingy things she does is she brings over her and the BF's laundry despite they having a washing machine in the house and washes and drys it at home; her excuse is they have no dryer. But for me the absolute height of stingyness is when she comes over to my parents and will take a shower 3 to 4 evenings a week whilst there. Her ESB bill is like €60 - €70 every two months whilst my parents could get a bill for €250 every 2 months. She would also make all her phone calls from home and often would be responsible for more than half the bill, I convinced my father to cut off mobile dialling on the home phone and it saw the bill reduce alot as she can't run up a bill now.

She actually was responsible for my father getting a reprimand at his job around 10 - 12 years ago when she was a teenager as she would take his company phone and spend alot of time on it, he had to pay over £100 one month towards his phone bill which would normally be capped at £40/month and this was her ringing friends and boyfriends from my fathers phone. She tries the same trick with me to this day, ring so and so there you have loads of free minutes as I'm on Billpay.

Her car never gets more than €30 worth of petrol and spends half the time running on the red fuel light. She never services the car or maintains it properly. It currently has one front bald tire and a blown headlight plus an outstanding bill for €100 in the garage, her rule seems to be "thou shall not pay bills until the last possible moment". Having told her of the bald tire, I was told "if you are so worried why don't you buy me a tire so, I'm sick of spending money on that car".

She almost seized the engine this year as it flashed the oil light and I was delighted as it cost her €220 in repairs. She also got my parents to give her €7k towards the car a few years back also as it was bought new. She has no respect for the car and treats it rough.

In 2011 my mother was very ill and was off work for 3 months, she took my mothers car to work most days and filled it with diesel from my parents home supply tank, the excuse Petrol costs me too much and the car isn't being used while she is off work. My mother is a hopeless case of a driver and my sister will drive her wherever she wants to go but will never take her own car unless my mothers car is not available, and she will also routinely borrow my mothers car to go places, especially long drives.

She tried very hard this year into convincing my parents to buy her a house, taking my father to viewings etc. My mother thankfully put a stop to that plan of hers telling her if she wants a house the BF can buy it. He incidentaly earns over €40k a year and my sister €20k and is quite well up the stingy ladder also, his best was to go into the hotel looking for his "lost" coat after a wedding last year and coming out with someone elses coat. This year my sisters coat got stolen so I thought it was Karma for him nicking someone elses coat.

My sister takes after my father who is famously stingy (to the point of stupidity) and I could write a whole blog on him. His best is when he makes tea he will often routinely take the cup of tea and proceed to hold it under the cold tap to cool the tea in order to "spare the milk". He also routinely kicks up a stink over washing his clothes stating categorically that too much washing will wear out the clothes sooner, this despite some of his old clothes being nearly 20 years and anything new is either a Birthday or Christmas present from either my sister, my mother or myself.

He has done the tea cooling thing countless times and will often do it when we have visitors in order to shame my mother. He also turns off all the lights all the time and if he was walking to the living room from the kitchen he'd turn off the lights in the corridor, kitchen etc. with no regard for other people. This has led to trips and bumps through the years for my sister, mother and myself. His arquement "Keep down the ESB bills" despite they being energy saver bulbs which use practically nothing anyway.

He steams off stamps and has been in his element the last two weeks with all the Christmas cards arriving; he has the stamps kept and he will be using them for his postage up until next June or July and he left mother to buy her own stamps and he proclaimed last week that sending Christmas cards was "simpleness of the mind" and routinely declares how he hates Christmas and how it was invented by shops to sell rubbish.

When we were Children we were told about "Santy's Grave" each year and how "Santy was in a terrible sleigh crash and not to expect much this year". My mother always ensured we had good Christmases and it just shows the sort of stupid stingy mentality which he has which can be so hillarious at times and other times downright embarrassing.

He demanded to see the manager of a SuperValu store this summer over the price of a bottle of fizzy orange, the manager gave it to him free and he proclaimed victory over the "thieves in SuperValu with their daylight robbery and what they were charging me" he told practically everyone about this for nearly a month.

When the old dishwasher at home gave up he noticed a fall in the esb bill and subsequently banned it from the house, I got a new one installed this week for my mother and he would make a big deal everytime it was discussed that "there was no new dishwasher coming into this house while i'm alive"; despite this though he always expected my mother to do the dishes and when it was installed this week my mother told him you can wash yours by hand, it will use less electricity despite I getting a new one which takes a hot water feed so the electricity usage would be about a third of the old one.

He even got big magnets out of a speaker and tried inventing a way of stopping the esb meter turning to cut down on the bill. I told him it could work the opposite way and increase it so he abandoned that hair brained idea.

My father drives an absolute crock of Van, it is laughable and it recently gave up as the filters were blocked from want of servicing. The icing on the cake was this week when he heard I had got the new Dishwasher he insisted I cancel the delivery and he'd collect it not to be wasting money when "I have such a good van outside".

The central locking has been giving trouble recently and when we got to the store I locked the van whilst we went inside and cancelled the delivery and I got the collection docket, we drove around the back and whilst doing so the van locked itself and we were locked in leaving me to climb out the window and open the sliding door with the key as the barrels in the van door are pretty jammed and wouldn't open. It happened again coming home and we had to drive into my uncles house and get him to come out to unlock the van and let us out of it, I was blamed for "whatever thumbing you done" when I locked it back at the Electrical shop. My uncle had a great laugh at us.

This year me and my sister decided we'd buy my parents a Holiday to Lanzarote and I booked it with my father's credit card and I paid him my half of the money, my sister gave 25% and caught my father for the other 25% (fatherly Daugter). When they came back home from the holiday my father biggest complaint was the price of things out there (which are cheaper than Ireland anyway!) and how he couldn't get my mother out of the shops, he also bought an alarm clock out there which he said was awful waste having forgot to pack him own.

My mother also accidentally packed all the sun creams and toilitries in her carry-on and they were seized under the 100mls rule and he was lamenting the loss of his bottle of shampoo for about the guts of two weeks afterwards. This was only their second trip abroad in ten years with the last being a weekend to his sister in England on €20 Ryanair flights I got for them in 2009, he still tells people about the great deal he got on those flights.

There is many more stories but I'll have to make another post, he says he plans to do his Christmas shopping on Christmas eve when according to him; "The rip-off shops will be forced to drop their prices" more hillarity will ensue I am certain.
    You seem to have turned out alright in fairness. Your sister is obviously as pathetic as your father. I genuinely feel sorry for your mother. You should show them your post. Might make them realise a few truths

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dtp79 wrote: »
    You seem to have turned out alright in fairness. Your sister is obviously as pathetic as your father. I genuinely feel sorry for your mother. You should show them your post. Might make them realise a few truths
    +1
    no offence but they sound like pathetic wretched people

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

tara73 wrote: »
    my granny was one of the stingiest people I know. and for sure she wasn't short of money at all.

one of the best bits:

we as grandchildren got the old books from her children for christmas or birthday. so sometimes there was the name of our father or auntie written in the book

she kept the wrappin paper from cake from the bakery. she wrapped our presents in it. once one was fixed with a small NAIL (too stingy to buy sellotape)

I'm calling Shananigans on this... books belonging to your Dad, a nail to wrap the present with... yeah right.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

sounds like you needed to vent about them for a long time!! hope it helped ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

This stingiest moment comes from a company not an individual, a couple of years back i applied for a job as a salesman with a mobile phone company in this country. Was called for a interview which went well and was then asked to attend an induction course in dublin which was to take two days. I asked beforehand did this mean i had the job?
    I was told it was a formality to pass the induction and i would be starting work the following week, so i drove the 100 mile journey to dublin and attended the first day of the induction. Was told at it there would be no expenses paid for petrol costs, no wages for attending, no meal provided but incredibly there was more to come.....

I was expected to share a hotel room with two other fellas i had never met before, which doesnt sound too bad until you realise there was only two beds in the room! I point blank refused to share a double bed with anyone else, rang the reception and ordered another room in the name of the induction trainer. Ordered a nice steak from room service and went to bed, walked out the door the following morning without checking out and hopped in the car and drove home. Eventually after sending a few e-mails expressing my utter disgust with the company involved, i recieved a cheque in the post which just about covered my petrol.

Stingiest thing ive ever seen from a business, i know economic times are tough but the company could still try and treat potential employees with some level of respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

seanl77 wrote: »
    I was expected to share a hotel room with two other fellas i had never met before, which doesnt sound too bad until you realise there was only two beds in the room! I point blank refused to share a double bed with anyone else, rang the reception and ordered another room in the name of the induction trainer. Ordered a nice steak from room service and went to bed, walked out the door the following morning without checking out and hopped in the car and drove home. Eventually after sending a few e-mails expressing my utter disgust with the company involved, i recieved a cheque in the post which just about covered my petrol.

Stingiest thing ive ever seen from a business, i know economic times are tough but the company could still try and treat potential employees with some level of respect
    This isn't limited to recession times. I worked for one of the very large household name multi-national IT companies through the boom times. Around 2004, we had to go to the mothership in the US for a week-long conference thingy. The word came down that we were expected to share hotel rooms. One of my colleagues came up with a cost-neutral proposal to rent apartments with separate bedrooms but got turned down. So for a week, I ended up working, eating, drinking AND sleeping with workmates. The only private time I got was when I was in the loo.

I ended up sharing with a guy from one of the European offices. He was a grand bloke, and being younger than me, he stayed out partying after I went back to the hotel. On the final night, I woke up around 2am to the sound of him talking to God on the big white telephone in the shared bathroom. I was fairly nervous heading into the loo the next morning, but in fairness, he left no mark of his activities.

Still, the idea of having to share a room for a multi-billion dollar company really pissed me off - just one of the many reasons why I don't work there anymore.

My family were left a small site, it was gifted to me. Over the years I slowly afforded to build a tiny house 1 Bedroom on the site. Moved in with my boyfriend planning happy married life. After time, in the space of 6 months he got the equivalence of 25,000 euro in unfair dismissals compensation and then another 80,000 euros for a car crash which had damaged his back and required surgery. He bought me a pair of gold plated earrings worth about 15 euro when he got the windfall.
    Then not long after we split up, I just took it as an amical split up and he moved to a country outside the EU, which apparently has excellent hospitals, in which he intended to have 'spinal fusion' operation. I noticed he had cleared out about 2,500 from a joint account we had for holidays etc., but said, oh what the heck, it was a bit of trouble closing that account. But that's another story.
    Next thing I got an angry phonecall from previously very silent ex, saying that I had not kept up the payments on HIS Vhi, and I would have to immediately pay so he could have his operation!!!!! I politely told him it was his own responsibility and he could use the 2,500 grand he had robbed from the joint account.
    Not long after that I heard his mother had died in Copenhagen and left him a house worth over 1 million euro. (This same woman was too mean to turn the heating on in -15 degrees and would wear her hat and fur coat all day, ended up in hospital one winter with hypothermia.)

Then I got a letter from ex's solicitor looking for half the value of my tiny house as we had been living together for over 2 years.

I'd a pretty good solicitor, but the main thing which helped my case was it was a multi jurisdictional case and he was out of the country, not all the money and property he had acquired which I had never even dreamed of trying to take from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

My family were left a small site, it was gifted to me. Over the years I slowly afforded to build a tiny house 1 Bedroom on the site. Moved in with my boyfriend planning happy married life. After time, in the space of 6 months he got the equivalence of 25,000 euro in unfair dismissals compensation and then another 80,000 euros for a car crash which had damaged his back and required surgery. He bought me a pair of gold plated earrings worth about 15 euro when he got the windfall.
    Then not long after we split up, I just took it as an amical split up and he moved to a country outside the EU, which apparently has excellent hospitals, in which he intended to have 'spinal fusion' operation. I noticed he had cleared out about 2,500 from a joint account we had for holidays etc., but said, oh what the heck, it was a bit of trouble closing that account. But that's another story.
    Next thing I got an angry phonecall from previously very silent ex, saying that I had not kept up the payments on HIS Vhi, and I would have to immediately pay so he could have his operation!!!!! I politely told him it was his own responsibility and he could use the 2,500 grand he had robbed from the joint account.
    Not long after that I heard his mother had died in Copenhagen and left him a house worth over 1 million euro. (This same woman was too mean to turn the heating on in -15 degrees and would wear her hat and fur coat all day, ended up in hospital one winter with hypothermia.)

Then I got a letter from ex's solicitor looking for half the value of my tiny house as we had been living together for over 2 years.

I'd a pretty good solicitor, but the main thing which helped my case was it was a multi jurisdictional case and he was out of the country, not all the money and property he had acquired which I had never even dreamed of trying to take from him.
    awful story. if its any consolation you are well shot of him, sounds like a user and a complete bastard

• Advertisement

Thank you folks :)

Another time I will share the Bank's scroogie ways and tips on how you can singlehandedly close a joint account when the other partner has left out of the country for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Hearing this alot lately, if you had rented a House instead (and then rented out your own place to cover rental on the place you're staying) then he wouldn't have been able to try this...is that right?

I think you are right, family home becomes joint owned when living IN it, and even if not married, there are rights to it after cohabitation. Be careful out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Be careful out there!
    +1

Outside of Family, trust no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

+1

Outside of Family, trust no one.

Typo corrected!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

let me see, your sting father pays €900 for your sisters oil just because he got a lump sum. He contributes towards the purchase of a new car by her even though he is happy with an old banger for himself. He is even contemplating giving her money for oil this year!
    On top that, despite being obsessed with his household bills he allows your sister to come several times a week to shower and make phone calls at his expense!
    To cap it all your stingy sister contributes 25% of the cost of a foreign holiday for 2!
    Something does not ring true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

let me see, your sting father pays €900 for your sisters oil just because he got a lump sum. He contributes towards the purchase of a new car by her even though he is happy with an old banger for himself. He is even contemplating giving her money for oil this year!
    On top that, despite being obsessed with his household bills he allows your sister to come several times a week to shower and make phone calls at his expense!
    To cap it all your stingy sister contributes 25% of the cost of a foreign holiday for 2!
    Something does not ring true.
    You probably have difficulty with context. Try 're-reading the entire post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

gallag wrote: »
    You probably have difficulty with context. Try 're-reading the entire post.

I have no difficulty with context. Stingy people do not throw money around as is being alleged here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

And non-stingy people don't take magnets and try to slow the ESB meter down. Wow, I can't believe you're trying to say he's not stingy.

• Advertisement

Regarding the stingy father and daughter, I think it is fairly typical. Some people are obsessively stingy with themselves and even their wife or husband, but will have a 'blind spot' in one area. One stingy man I knew would hardly feed himself and knew where to get his one weekly pint cheapest price of all in that town. He wouldn't buy a packet of sausages but bought individually 4 sausages for him, his wife and 2 children, one quarter of a pound it is. He would glue his shoes together many times before admitting defeat and buying a new pair. I was in his house and they used a tea towel with a calendar 1974 on it (it was the original item not a kitsch joke). We called him The Womble....... collecting and making good use of the things he found. And yes, literally the glasses were held together with the cloth plaster. But he had so many expensive watches, a few Rolex, some diving ones and Patek Philippe etc. every few years or so he bought a new one for himself.

I guess the father had a blind spot with the daughter, financing a car, oil, even though the electricity was otherwise scrimped on in his home, it was ok for her to use. It's like he saw her as a wonderful student and was giving her Scrouge Rewards Points.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement