Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rock & Metal Pubs and Clubs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Been like that since the summer, it's going by the moniker Flanders Rock Bar now.

I blame craft beer, it's popular with the hipster set and the bar is now chock full of it.

It has always been called Flanders Rock Bar.

Stupid sexy Flanders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

So where see the old Bruxelles heads drinking now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I don't know how accurate it would be to blame craft beer. It hasn't hurt Fibbers, The Gypsy Rose or The Thomas House.

Non-live rock music's popularity is at a low in Dublin (still tops a lot cities though), and with it's location and the fact that the rock section was only part of Bruxelles, it was always in danger of being phased out.

The Bruxelles crowd grew up, got married had kids, and weren't really replaced by numetallers, which has been the case for Fibbers and The Gypsy Rose. That can be seen as a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Ah okay so it's only the ghey redesign
    I went there not so long ago, it's changed from a metal bar to a rock bar. Not much deicide more like kiss and motley crue. Not that I've a problem with that mind.

So where see the old Bruxelles heads drinking now?

A lot of the regulars appear to be drinking in the Foggy now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Passenger wrote: »
    A lot of the regulars appear to be drinking in the Foggy now.

Or a few in the Bankers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

It's gone to sh*te

Their DJ's need to be ****ed out too - awful stuff altogether

The DJ is limited in what he can play as he's been told to tame it down a bit so its not his fault. I've drank in there since i was 15 but have given up on it. Pub is usually full of clowns. I've been drinking in the Foggy for a good few years now and just stay down there. Might not be a Rock/Metal bar but they do play music that i like as i don't just listen to Rock and Metal. Cheaper in there too.

Two of the "Metal" DJ's have left too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

It's been a long time coming but was bound to happen. Getting rid of very loyal regulars in there left a bad taste in my mouth anyway.
    I feel happy though that he won't be getting my money anymore. (Too expensive in there now anyway).

It had been coming a while.
    Aside from busy weekend nights, the rock bar was often quiet. I've been in there alone many occasions.
    Great craic, mind. Free access to the pool table and jukebox!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Was in there recently and have to say, it looks well, while still keeping some kind of rock/metal tone about it.

As for clientele, it's a business first and foremost.
    Surprised it has survived the recession at all.

I've only been in 2-5 times since the refurb.
    Doesnt really bother me tbh. I'm past the stage of my life where everything must be MOAR METAL THAN THOU, and am happy to listen to the crue, zz top, kiss, steel panther, so on.
    Better than feckin dance music anyway LOL

It might be a very unpopular opinion, but I hate the usual rocks nights and DJs etc, because they play entirely the same crap constantly... There's only so many times you can put up with hearing Cowboys From Hell, Paranoid and Run to the Hills before you think **** this.

Links234 wrote: »
    It might be a very unpopular opinion, but I hate the usual rocks nights and DJs etc, because they play entirely the same crap constantly... There's only so many times you can put up with hearing Cowboys From Hell, Paranoid and Run to the Hills before you think **** this.

True but that's what people constantly ask for. If the DJ says I'm not going to play the obvious songs tonight, people will still come up asking for Enter Sandman/Master of Puppets, Back in Black/Thunderstruck, Sweet Child of Mine/Paradise City etc. you get the gist.

Most people like to hear the obvious (safe) songs. Trying to find a balance with the setlist is the key to keeping everybody happy. Though some Rock establishments don't strike the balance and are content to keep the setlist "safe."

Passenger wrote: »
    True but that's what people constantly ask for. If the DJ says I'm not going to play the obvious songs tonight, people will still come up asking for Enter Sandman/Master of Puppets, Back in Black/Thunderstruck, Sweet Child of Mine/Paradise City etc. you get the gist.

Most people like to hear the obvious (safe) songs. Trying to find a balance with the setlist is the key to keeping everybody happy. Though some Rock establishments don't strike the balance and are content to keep the setlist "safe."

Sure there's a balance to be struck, but when the main things you play are 20+ years old, and there's little variation, you can't blame people for getting fed up can you?

Sure there's a balance to be struck, but when the main things you play are 20+ years old, and there's little variation, you can't blame people for getting fed up can you?

And likewise, some punters will get fed up listening to some niche post industrial turbo black metal from the northern reaches of Finland.

I remember my first time in bruxells and it was peculiar, with all these long haired men sitting stoic and silent. Staring at their glasses and eyeing up everyone that entered, incase they weren't metal enough.

Ah but when everyone is hammered it doesn't matter!

And likewise, some punters will get fed up listening to some niche post industrial turbo black metal from the northern reaches of Finland.

I thought it was implied that I wasn't suggesting a complete opposite extreme. But now I'm itching to listen to some niche post industrial turbo black metal from the northern reaches of Finland, got any recommendations?

Striking a balance with rock & metal with older and younger people is a difficult task for rock bars / rock nights nowadays. I always wonder is the variation getting slimmer, because older crowd are leaving, or is the other way around. I've seen a nice little thrash metal revival of late in Dublin and Belfast, which is cool. More the punters with the jackets and patches as opposed to actual bands, though. Those kids have a LOT of albums to keep them busy in the relative absence of good new music :)

I thought it was implied that I wasn't suggesting a complete opposite extreme. But now I'm itching to listen to some niche post industrial turbo black metal from the northern reaches of Finland, got any recommendations?

It was, but I'm just saying the from what I remember of how it used to be, there was no way it would last

• Advertisement

It was, but I'm just saying the from what I remember of how it used to be, there was no way it would last

Yeah, well I wouldn't exactly be the usual Brux's crowd anyway, normally I would've only been in there if there was a gig on and wanted to get a few pints afterwards, but it's mainly been the Gypsy or Fibber's on the quay when that was going. It's funny that someone blamed craft beer earlier in this thread, because these days I'm much more likely to go for a few in the Black Sheep or similar such establishment before a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Jesus H Vader... was in Bruxelles for the first time in ages.. so bright... so ****e..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Was in it myself yesterday evening for a pint, juke box turned off, bland inoffensive pop on the speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Is downstairs Bruxelles now a steak house? It looks like one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Hi guys - unfortunately we have some bad news.
    We have closed down ;(
    We would like to thanks all our customers, promoters, bands, djs, staff and everyone we have worked with over the past few years.
    Please note The Venue and Terrace will remain open for a few weeks to accommodate bookings.

https://www.facebook.com/thepint?fref=ts

:( Shame, The Pint was always a nice spot for a drink

That's a real shame. Saw some good gigs there. Always liked the layout of the place.

New venue to open on the former grounds of The Pint.

11217586_921798044547997_3316436494431518258_o.jpg
    Hi Pint Friends!

As you are all aware by now The Pint is no more and we'd like to say a big Thank You to everyone who came along, had a pint, played a gig and everything in between. But as one door closes another opens and we have some great news....

A brand new bar and live music venue The Wiley Fox will be opening in June on the former grounds of The Pint. We're currently under complete renovation but will have loads of news and updates coming very soon - including a chance to win a +1 to our launch night (!)

For now however, we're going to be merging The Pint Facebook Page with the new page for The Wiley Fox so all our news will be coming straight to you as we issue it.

So stay tuned for more news very soon! Happy Friday!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

For some reason i thought it was a new venue beside the 3 Arena ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Spotted today that Chelsea Grin are playing Fibbers on Tuesday next, supported by Red Enemy, Call To Arms and Subsist.

DME also announced the below.

1476210_831175643617836_4044283317161457507_n.jpg?oh=edd3078a1f0d5fa61b9c06e8bd5af169&oe=55F9DBCE&__gda__=1441818709_b437eb303552a0a190b8e74c9247ac17

Its not til the 17th of February though.

Nile and Suffocation are touring Europe around September so Im hoping to get them over here. And DME still owe me Decapitated too.

:mad:

• Advertisement

Has anybody been to On The Rox yet? I'm liking it.

Advertisement