Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIT a university ?

Options
  • 17-01-2015 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Has DIT got university standard yet , will it be changing its name in the future if so ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

Helena_ wrote: »
    Has DIT got university standard yet , will it be changing its name in the future if so ?

As far as I am aware it will be a University by the end of the year, combining with Tallaght IT and Blanchardstown IT to form Technological University for Dublin - check out tu4dublin dot ie I think for more info!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Helena_

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

As far as I am aware it will be a University by the end of the year, combining with Tallaght IT and Blanchardstown IT to form Technological University for Dublin - check out tu4dublin dot ie I think for more info!

It will not be a university by the end of the year. ITT and ITB will come under the heading of DIT until DIT pull the finger out with regards to quality and standards.

Don't hold your breath.

Dwaegon wrote: »
    It will not be a university by the end of the year. ITT and ITB will come under the heading of DIT until DIT pull the finger out with regards to quality and standards.

Don't hold your breath.

The man in charge of Grangegorman's development (DIT lecturer can't remember his name) gave us a short talk which included his belief that if all goes to plan, 2015 would be the university status year!

The man in charge of Grangegorman's development (DIT lecturer can't remember his name) gave us a short talk which included his belief that if all goes to plan, 2015 would be the university status year!

That man is totally wrong. It's going to take a lot more than that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

You said standard, do you mean status? If status then no, it's still an IT . Eventually it will change it's name to TUD or Technical University of Dublin.

But as it stands DIT can offer up to PHD qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

itb and itt will merge into dit in the summer . Then an application will be lodged to the houses of the oireachtas for the status

You said standard, do you mean status? If status then no, it's still an IT . Eventually it will change it's name to TUD or Technical University of Dublin.

But as it stands DIT can offer up to PHD qualification.

No I meant academic standards, which are far lower than any university in the country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No I meant academic standards, which are far lower than any university in the country.

Care to back that up?

Fairly insulting in all honesty..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

If you're gonna make a claim like that you should really have a source. Have you got one?

If you're gonna make a claim like that you should really have a source. Have you got one?

Since when is personal experience not considered a source?

Look at stats like library opening hours, facility condition, the fact that I have a three hour lecture that changes room every hour because the college can't put together a schedule properly?

I mean, the issues in Grangegorman alone that students are raising, and that's a new campus, but they have mice eating their artwork because DIT built an art facility without space to display the art.
    Add to that the fact that last semester two different lectures were being taught in the same room with the classes facing different directions, practically back to back.

UCC students protested when their library didn't extend their opening hours during exam time, but their REGULAR opening hours are far superior to anything we have

If you want to dispute my claim, by all means go ahead and do the research and present it to me. But don't try to cast doubt on my posts with the vague suggestion that I'm falsifying information because of some gripe I have with DIT. Every gripe I have is well justified!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

You said "academic" standards....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You would think if academia taught anyone anything, it would be to back up spurious 'opinion' with fact. I think we can all see the standard of proof employed here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Since when is personal experience not considered a source?

Look at stats like library opening hours, facility condition, the fact that I have a three hour lecture that changes room every hour because the college can't put together a schedule properly?

I mean, the issues in Grangegorman alone that students are raising, and that's a new campus, but they have mice eating their artwork because DIT built an art facility without space to display the art.
    Add to that the fact that last semester two different lectures were being taught in the same room with the classes facing different directions, practically back to back.

UCC students protested when their library didn't extend their opening hours during exam time, but their REGULAR opening hours are far superior to anything we have

If you want to dispute my claim, by all means go ahead and do the research and present it to me. But don't try to cast doubt on my posts with the vague suggestion that I'm falsifying information because of some gripe I have with DIT. Every gripe I have is well justified!

UCC library opens at 10am and closes at 8.15pm at the latest.

DIT (Kevin St) library opens at 9am and closes at 9.30pm at the latest.

Those are UCC's xmas hours. Here are the regular ones.

And they also operate 7 days a week.

Aard wrote: »
    You said "academic" standards....

A library is an academic facility. Have you used a computer in a DIT library? They are simply dreadful!

But it's not Xmas, dreadful carry on from UCC. I hope the academic standards authority deals with this swiftly.

A library is an academic facility. Have you used a computer in a DIT library? They are simply dreadful!

I believe the academic term for what you are doing is "talking out your arse".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

Sound, so split that into 7 or 8 different libraries and see how the opening hours go! A DIT library serves what 3000 students max?

DIT has massive problems, many lecturers with egos far bigger than they should be, others who don't give a ****, but I hate to break it to you, having spent time around UL and UCD they have much the same issues. Yep facilities are crap in places but it doesn't make sense to pump money into buildings about to be left unoccupied... Providing government grants are forthcoming. DIT doesn't have a sugar daddy like UL for example

Grangegorman should at least fix your library problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

gg is at least 7 years down the line before everything is sorted lads.

There are things in dit however that come be very easily fixed. Lab pc's havent got the programs installed properly , sure the folders are there, but they aint configured and the user cant.
    take pycharm, the interpreter isent configured (for non computer students, with out this , your programming tool is basically notepad, code cant be run)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Usually when people refer to "academic standards", they mean the quality of teaching, breadth/depth of curriculum, and examination results. Maybe people on this thread got the wrong end of the stick, and thought that when you said
    you were implying that DIT graduates were inferior to other graduates?

Advertisement