Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What age were you adopted at?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭diabeticmum

I know my husband was born premature, and under 5lbs and was kept in hospital for 2 months and given to adoptive parents immediately on release from hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thefixitman

I'm 33, and for the first 2 years of my life I was in temple hill until I was 2 years and 8 months old!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 viewpoint

thanks for your message - my sister worked in Templehill from 1981 until 1982, would these years link up with your time in Templehill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thefixitman

Those years would certainly make sense, I have some pictures of me with some of the nurses who would have worked there, that brought me out on trips out, perhaps it could have been your sister, im sure she would have known some of the people in them. On the back of each photo are the names of the people in the photo. I was there from 1980-1982

likewise I have photos which my sister kept in her personal items, including tags and writsbands etc. She even kept two bottle teats, I am sure there was a very special reason why she kept them. I would love to see the photos as I am in contact with two other nurses who worked in Templehill and while my sister is no longer around, her friends might be able to help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

was Haddington road like Templehill? or was it just the place that people collected babies?
    I am still curious about the 1st few months of my life.
    I have a little 3 month old and I could not imagine him not having a mammy to tend to his every need!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 emma11811

E39MSport wrote: »
    Hi All.

This is not something I talk about at all, anywhere.

I've just stumbled across this forum and only last week also stumbled across my adoption certificate. I was surprised to see that the date on the form is 14 months after my DOB.

Is that generally a good indicator of how long one might have been in the home or whatever it's called?

I remember having a very strong habit of banging my head on my pillow in bed when going to sleep and off the back of couch etc. Must have had the habit for a while if I can remember doing it. I also remember the deep calming effect it had on me when I practiced it.

Have a feeling I was on my own for a while maybe....

Maybe just a conincidence.

Re: tracing, had a letter a few years ago when the adoption thing hit the news the first time. I refused contact because I didn't want to upset my adoptive parents and find it hard to deal with life as it is without opening up whatever can of worms it might bring.

Apparently, I had a half brother who dropped dead at 30 which has me worried.

Hi its so weird you say about banging your head to sleep I always had to rock my head back and forth to get to sleep too and still do it when Im in a light sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Elizvonne

Moonbeam
    Saint Patricks Guild adoption agency was on Haddington Road. To my knowledge there were no babies there but this may have been where adoptive babies were given there babies. Hope you manage to join the dots. Best Wishes E

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I asked my mum and I was in Templehill too,presumably Jan 82 to April 82

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Julie_S

My birth mum kept me with her for 5 days in the hospital, then I was placed with a foster family in the northside of Cork City for 5 weeks, then went on to a family in the southside for 2 weeks. I was placed with my parents when I was almost 9 weeks old and my adoption was legally granted when I was 9 months old. It was then that my mam took her first photo of me as she was afraid to before that day in case my birth mother changed her mind an took me back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 cabogirl

It is so lovely for me to hear those stories about Nazareth House. I was there before adoption, I was born 1985. Does anyone who knows about the place know if the adoptive parents would come there to visit the baby before placement? My adoptive parents have very distinctive names, I would not be surprised if someone working there were to recall them and therefore recall me! Perhaps I am being overly fantastical :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

I was adopted at 9 months old in 1964. My birth Mother was in Castlepollard. I have never been able to establish if I was in Castlepollard until I was 9 months or if I was moved elsewhere. Does anyone know anything about a home in Stamullen in Meath? I think some babies were sent there waiting to be adopted.

Isn't it appalling that as adults we can't have our full information. You have to fight for every nugget. I fought for 20 years to find out what county in Ireland my birth mother was from! The Agency would only tell me it was the North West of Ireland. I couldnt trace my birth cert myself as the Agency gave me the incorrect informtion about my first name so tracing my birth cert was impossible until last year. I have always found it appalling that a stranger can look at my file and I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

opawaman wrote: »
    How do i find out if my adoption was illegal, is there an organisation that can assist.
    Was not officially adopted until i was sixteen. My birthmother was not asked even asked or informed though i had been fostered out from birth. Traced my Birthmother when she 82 and dying of cancer so i did not ask too many questions. Now my friends say my adoption may have been illegal.

You could first contact the Adoption Authority of Ireland:

http://http://aai.gov.ie/index.php/tracing/information-service.html

They are very helpful. Do you have your original birth cert at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

opawaman wrote: »
    How do i find out if my adoption was illegal, is there an organisation that can assist.
    Was not officially adopted until i was sixteen. My birthmother was not asked even asked or informed though i had been fostered out from birth. Traced my Birthmother when she 82 and dying of cancer so i did not ask too many questions. Now my friends say my adoption may have been illegal.

You could first contact the Adoption Authority of Ireland:

http://http://aai.gov.ie/index.php/tracing/information-service.html

They are very helpful. Do you have your original birth cert at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 figum

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I was wondering where the 1st 3 months of my life went.
    I wasn't given to my parents until I was 3 months old and they got me from think it was Haddington road (I forget but it was around there).
    I was adopted through St Patricks guild and Sr Gabriel.
    Other people were adopted at a few days old so I am wondering does anyone have any idea why I would have been 3 months old?
    I really need to start an official search.
    Why am I wondering this now? My 2nd daughter is now 3 months old and I could not imagine her with out a mammy to love her and mind her.
    That is so like me! I just want my medical records! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CollyD34

Hi, I was a baby in temple hill from july '80 to around Nov '80 and was in Haddington rd to be collected by my adoptive parents. Sister Gabriel's surname was Murphy. Not all babies wer adopted immediately as my adopted brother was there longer than myself. I too am looking to get some medical records.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I wasn't adopted, but I was in 2 foster homes and a residential home...
    was fostered from the age of 8, until 16 and then was in residential care from 16 until 18... :)

my relationship with mum is awful, I don't see that I'm related to her, I see my last foster home (2004-2010) as my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

i was born in holles st with my mum for 4 days
    then sent to cherry orchard hospital alone for 2 months
    then foster home no 1 for 4 months
    foster home no 2 for 2 months
    foster home 3 for 3 months .then adopted.
    i feel sad for the baby that was me not held or cuddled in a hospital when my mother so much wanted me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

@Rania- that certainly was rough- some adopted children had a lot worse a journey, than had others. I know what you mean about feeling sorry for the little child who never got the hugs and cuddles from its mother that the child so deserved- even if you were talking about yourself. I have two young children myself now- and I just melt when they come up to me for hugs and cuddles- its pure happiness. Happy in a way I know I never felt as a child.

I hope you've had a chance to make up for some of the deficit in hugs and cuddles you missed out on as a child. :)

CollyD34 wrote: »
    Hi, I was a baby in temple hill from july '80 to around Nov '80 and was in Haddington rd to be collected by my adoptive parents. Sister Gabriel's surname was Murphy. Not all babies wer adopted immediately as my adopted brother was there longer than myself. I too am looking to get some medical records.

Good luck with search, i hope you get your records. My sister only started in Templehill in 1981. When was your brother in Templehill. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mc coy

Thank you so much for posting this. it was so nice to here. I was just browsing the net looking for any information on nazareth house or the Fahan baby home which I was adopted from. I was told I was there for 14 months when I was adopted . I would have been there in 1970-1971..

Advertisement