Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

least there wont be any coughing or spluttering for 30 mins straight !

:D

gotta say i could care less about the subject as well, maybe theyll get onto reilly welching on his debts !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

least there wont be any coughing or spluttering for 30 mins straight !

:D

gotta say i could care less about the subject as well, maybe theyll get onto reilly welching on his debts !

He just said Coleman is 'out there somewhere, because he isn't here'. What does that mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

out of curiosity, can anyone tell me if they find any of that Dr. Bill aka Tom dunne in the least bit amusing? witty? intelligent? or anything positive really??? I find it to be utter tripe and repetitive, one trick pony whose one trick is piss poor to begin with. a few months ago he was showcasing it with this "for one week only dr. bill" headline but the lad keeps coming back and dishing out more of the sh*te...just wondering if anybody out there actually gets anything from it , I'm just confused how or why if so...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

out of curiosity, can anyone tell me if they find any of that Dr. Bill aka Tom dunne in the least bit amusing? witty? intelligent? or anything positive really??? I find it to be utter tripe and repetitive, one trick pony whose one trick is piss poor to begin with. a few months ago he was showcasing it with this "for one week only dr. bill" headline but the lad keeps coming back and dishing out more of the sh*te...just wondering if anybody out there actually gets anything from it , I'm just confused how or why if so...

I find it "meh". It's not the worst thing out there (NobNation... :\) but it's really just the same joke over and over. It has its moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I am with you on that too, cop on Tom will ya, its rubbish and annoying,But then again it started on the Ian Dempsey show (another clown:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I thought it was brilliant bordering on comic genius when it first appeared under the supervision of stuart carolan aka navan man.....i take it Tom Dunne is milking it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Another boring American on Moncrief talking sh|te .
    Eh eh not chew badge eh eh eh

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I find it "meh". It's not the worst thing out there (NobNation... :\) but it's really just the same joke over and over. It has its moments.

Likewise.

Mary Mac Avoy could keep her opinions to herself.Can't listen to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

I like the DR Bill stuff.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

kneemos wrote: »

I agree, her agony aunt slot is tough listening. I don't see how she's qualified to give out advice over the public airwaves, is she a counsellor of some sort?

Can you imagine if the questions posed to her each week were actually sent in by genuine people in need? I mean the Tom Dunne team do fabricate all those stories right? I know that was the case in the couple of publications I've had experience in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

I agree, her agony aunt slot is tough listening. I don't see how she's qualified to give out advice over the public airwaves, is she a counsellor of some sort?

Can you imagine if the questions posed to her each week were actually sent in by genuine people in need? I mean the Tom Dunne team do fabricate all those stories right? I know that was the case in the couple of publications I've had experience in.

Im pretty sure ALL radio shows & stations fabricate many many 'emails from listeners'

Talking points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

barryd09 wrote: »

Im pretty sure ALL radio shows & stations fabricate many many 'emails from listeners'

Apart from George Hook of course!! :D

Anyone else think Fergus Finlay is eyeing up a role in Newstalk? He's been on a lot recently...
    Can't stand the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

The whole Tom Dunne show is a square peg in a round hole. He seems to be forcing himself to adjust the show to the Newstalk format and never really seems comfortable. I'd say he would jump at a chance to move downstaire to Today FM and play more music. When Hook retires I can see Matt Cooper and Tom Dunne switching stations with Cooper replacing Hook and Dunne replacing Cooper. That leaves the Dunne slot free for a new show and format that might work better. Perhaps a call in show like a cross between Liveline and the many call-in shows that seem to dominate the 9am to 12pm slot on local radio stations.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

touts wrote: »
    The whole Tom Dunne show is a square peg in a round hole. He seems to be forcing himself to adjust the show to the Newstalk format and never really seems comfortable. I'd say he would jump at a chance to move downstaire to Today FM and play more music. When Hook retires I can see Matt Cooper and Tom Dunne switching stations with Cooper replacing Hook and Dunne replacing Cooper. That leaves the Dunne slot free for a new show and format that might work better. Perhaps a call in show like a cross between Liveline and the many call-in shows that seem to dominate the 9am to 12pm slot on local radio stations.

I don't think that switch would work. Tom Dunne's style of music would scare the more mainstream listeners away. For Dunne to shine, he needs to get his old Pet Sounds slot back. Simple as. But that's not really possible because McLoone seems to be doing fairly well in the slot atm.

What Newstalk could do, would be to scrap the repeats of Talking History and The Green Room, move Splanc to Sunday night(Surf's Up's current slot) and give Tom a 3-day a week 3 hour slot for music, which they would never do.

He's actually pretty good at the light stuff but they seem to be giving him more serious topics lately.Doesn't really fit his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Did i imagine it or were bits of moncrieff today repeats? Thought i heard the bit about yer wan in world war two yesterday. And im sure i heard that bit about dust a while ago. But i hadnt noticed this kind of thing before (except bank holidays and that).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Did i imagine it or were bits of moncrieff today repeats? Thought i heard the bit about yer wan in world war two yesterday. And im sure i heard that bit about dust a while ago. But i hadnt noticed this kind of thing before (except bank holidays and that).

The women on after the dust-stuff were definitely live (or at worst recorded very recently) as they were on to promote a play that's just starting. And they commented on the dust content, so probably not.

I think the dust segment was just similar to a recent segment. I don't think they were the same people. That said, I was trying to get something done at the time, so was only half listening.

Anyone know why there was no Football Show tonight on OTB? Turned over at 9pm to be greeted by Fionn Davenport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Anyone know why there was no Football Show tonight on OTB? Turned over at 9pm to be greeted by Fionn Davenport.
    It isn't back till late July/August. It takes a break during most of July every year until the height of transfer activity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

They still do one or two football stories each night though.

It isn't back till late July/August. It takes a break during most of July every year until the height of transfer activity.

Yeah, I partly guessed that's what it was. Couldn't remember when they took a break last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

He's actually pretty good at the light stuff but they seem to be giving him more serious topics lately.Doesn't really fit his style.

He is very good at interviewing middle aged former members of bands who were big in Roscommon in the 80s. Beyond that Meh! He is a music DJ square peg forced into a talk show host round hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just got through listening to the repeat of the breakfast shows coverage of the mauritius murder today.

****ing cringe inducing stuff.

these lads WORK in the media and were seriously meant to take them seriously when they say theyve never seen whats happened with those leaked pics of the girl getting printed.

seriously ?

chris must have a word with ger colleran then next time he covers a show then as the star has had no problem putting bullet riddled corpses on the front page.

this is unbelievable levels of bullshyte from newstalk. its taking faux outrage to new heights.

i have to say in all my talk radio listening years ive never encounterd such an over reaction by the media to a story. we get plenty of stuf about how the whole countrys outraged but im not seeing any of it in my day to day life. empathy for the poor lad yeah ,but not the baying for blood the media is alegdging. and now theres numpties talking about not letting people book holidays there !

this has gone beyond the pale, its now establishment mass hysteria IMO

Not to mention Enda jumping on the bandwagon....disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Insulting to the people of mauritius for our media to come out and say they didnt carry out proper investigations, court case etc when we still have d french investigating that murder in west cork

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nora Casey:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

The most patronising radio ever.
    What is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's honestly unlistenable now. I'd listen to Hector over the breakfast show now.

Hector!

• Advertisement

It's honestly unlistenable now. I'd listen to Hector over the breakfast show now.

Hector!

No you would'nt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement