Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Cooking Club Week 5: Pad Thai

Options
  • 06-02-2014 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭

Im just putting this up a day early (hope thats ok mods :o). I literally dont have the time to put it up tomorrow. And this week has just been mental, havent had a moments rest. Hence no pictures.

I make this quite a lot. I only learned how to make it a few months ago. Its one of those dishes you can substitute some ingredients for others if needs be. Obviously if you have a nut allergy or just dont like peanuts you can leave them out. Or add in other stuff if you want! I sometimes add mushrooms and broccoli to the mix and it works out perfect.

Same with if i dont have noodles, rice, in fairness, goes go well with it. I know it goes against the traditional way of making Pad Thai but to be honest, if you dont have the noodles, rice is not a bad substitute Seriously, dont knock it til you've tried it.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings!

Ingredients:

Serving 3 to 4 people

250 g. pad Thai rice noodles Or any kind of rice noodle
    8 Chicken thighs cut into small pieces (about 2 per person) or 4 Chicken Fillets
    12 raw medium sized prawns no shells and veins removed
    1.5 Tbsp. soy sauce
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 red chili, sliced
    1 thumb-size piece ginger, grated
    4 scallions, sliced
    2 eggs
    300g bean sprouts
    50g dry-roasted unsalted peanuts or cashews, ground or roughly chopped with a knife
    1 fresh lime, sliced into wedges
    2 Tbsp. vegetable oil

PAD THAI SAUCE:
    80ml good-tasting chicken stock
    3 Tbsp. Tamarind paste (rice vinegar or white vinegar is a good substitute if you cant get to an Asian supermarket)
    1 Tbsp. lime juice
    3-4 Tbsp. brown sugar
    2 Tbsp. fish sauce
    1 Tbsp. soy sauce
    1/8 tsp. white pepper

1) Toss your chicken in 1.5 tbsp of soy sauce and leave.

2) Mix the Pad Thai sauce ingredients together making sure the sugar is dissolved completely.

3) Meanwhile, bring some water to the boil, throw in the noodles and turn off the heat. It is important at this stage that you do not cook noodles. Soak them for about 5 to 6 minutes then rinse under cold water and set aside.

4) Heat your wok or pan over a medium to high heat. Add the oil followed by the ginger, white part of the spring onion, chilli and garlic. 1 minute

5) Add the chicken and stir fry. 2 minutes

6) Add the prawns and stir fry. 3 minutes. The pan will get dry so add 2 tbsp of the pad thai sauce. I usually like to add in the bean sprouts (you are supposed to wait until the very end, i like them added at this point) and any other veg you may want to add in.

7) Make a well in the pan, having everything out to the side. In the middle crack in your eggs and scrambled them as quick as you can.

8) Add the noodles! And 4 tblsp of the sauce to the mix. Lift and turn the noodles with the rest of the ingredients. Repeat this adding more sauce every 2 minutes. This should take 8-10 minutes and the noodles should be sticky and chewy.

9) Serve onto plates with a lime wedge on the side and some chopped peanuts on the side or sprinkled over it.

Enjoy :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I was hoping no one would post up Pad Thai/Char Kway Teow before my week. Ah well :)
    Recipe sounds lovely OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I was hoping no one would post up Pad Thai/Char Kway Teow before my week. Ah well :)
    Recipe sounds lovely OP.

Sorry Mrs Fox :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Definitely on the menu for the next week. Pad Thai was my go to order in a Thai restaurants until noodles were removed from my menu.

So - I'll try the rice option....unless anyone can convince me spuds would work just aswell :o :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Thank you, I can't wait to try this apart from the Tamarind paste/vinegar I have everything else in my kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

juke wrote: »
    Definitely on the menu for the next week. Pad Thai was my go to order in a Thai restaurants until noodles were removed from my menu.

So - I'll try the rice option....unless anyone can convince me spuds would work just aswell :o :pac:

Curious as to why you can have rice but not rice noodles?

I made this tonight and it was yum, even the 3-year old tucked in.

• Advertisement

Curious as to why you can have rice but not rice noodles?

My bad - I can, I just don't like them. I love egg noodles, but I jus never enjoy rice noodles :(

juke wrote: »
    My bad - I can, I just don't like them. I love egg noodles, but I jus never enjoy rice noodles :(

Are soba and udon off the menu too?

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Are soba and udon off the menu too?

Yeah :(. It's what happens to the foot intolerants who are fussy - self inflicted abstinence :rolleyes:

This is on the menu for tomorrow. It would have been on for tonight, but the chicken has frozen in the fridge. ...so annoying.

Tasty :)

69PZeA_thumb.jpg

I went with half portion of rice noodles in deference to my OH (I still think they are slimy ;))

I got a bit confused making the sauce - I had to heat it a bit to dissolve the sugar - then I realised you were probably using hot stock, herisson? D'oh.

I use this Tesco stock (they do beef too) it's really tasty, made from free range bones/veg, with no nasty additives - can recommend
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=274859100

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Very tasty, considering I had to use a frying pan, as opposed to a wok. I chopped and prepared everything before hand and had all the ingredients in little bowls like a tv chef so my timing was perfect! :)

• Advertisement

Lovely OP. Thanks for the recipe. Didn't have prawns, would've been tastier. Added Chinese cabbage too, and I added beansprouts towards the end as I love the extra crunch.
    Delicious dish!

2014-04-30%2019.10.49_zps7uhg4wej.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

just cooked this recipe tonight, very tasty, thanks OP=)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Tried this Friday evening as I love Pad Thai. It have never found a good recipe. This was lovely. Thank you

Glad you liked it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I made this this evening. It was really good! I had to make a couple of substitutions - cashews for peanuts, and I only had red wine, balsamic or malt vinegar at home. I went for the red wine vinegar which I think gave it a much fruitier taste, which became a little overwhelming towards the end. I'll definitely try with the proper one next time.

Herisson do you know if this would freeze okay? I doubled up on ingredients because I was cooking for 7 adults and the wee lady. There is still tonnes left even after second portions though!

Lola92 wrote: »
    I made this this evening. It was really good! I had to make a couple of substitutions - cashews for peanuts, and I only had red wine, balsamic or malt vinegar at home. I went for the red wine vinegar which I think gave it a much fruitier taste, which became a little overwhelming towards the end. I'll definitely try with the proper one next time.

Herisson do you know if this would freeze okay? I doubled up on ingredients because I was cooking for 7 adults and the wee lady. There is still tonnes left even after second portions though!

That looks gorgeous.

I have never frozen it with the noodles as that time in particular i served it with rice. But i have never had a problem freezing it before. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

herisson wrote: »
    That looks gorgeous.

I have never frozen it with the noodles as that time in particular i served it with rice. But i have never had a problem freezing it before. :)

Will give it a shot and report back :)

Made this again but sans the noodles, just veg. Ace. Photo here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Made this last night and it was amazing. Thanks!
    Loire.

Advertisement