Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah but Nintendo seemed to think the novelty would be enough to get people to buy it and it hasn't been. They'd be right to stop focussing on 3D and get the games out damn quick. It's amazing how few of even the "casual" franchises have made it so far.

3D has nothing to do with the dismality of the 3DS, the feature can be turned on or off anyway, its not essential to the console. Its not the focus on 3D thats the problem, its the lack of any focus whatsoever thats the problem.

Like aside from OoT, there's still no must have reason to own a 3DS, nothing at all. Either its a b1tch to develop for, too costly to develop for, or nobody will invest in it now because Nintendo f"cked up...prob a combination of all three.

Nintendo showed their hand too early, releasing it & seemingly forgetting they had to make games for it has now tagged the 3DS as a bit of a gamble for dev houses/companies...I reckon it'll sink. Fast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nintendo also gave little thought to third party developers.
    The inclusion of WiiSports and Wii Sports Resort may have been a boon for gamers but for developers trying to sell games it was a disaster, why invest in another game when a high quality compilation of games is available with the system?
    And so developers who had abandoned the Gamecube and tested the waters with the Wii got burned again, so little wonder that the 3DS has had so little support.

Perhaps most people don't want what the 3DS offers, I mean, what does it offer?
    What does it give people that they don't already play on the DS?
    Puzzle games, Crosswords, Peggle, PuyoPuyo and Zookeeper variants, minigame compilations, hard to imagine people wanting to "upgrade" to the 3DS from, say the DSiXL, with a bigger more comfortable screen and stylus.
    They care nothing for processing power or 3D at all, in fact 3D seems to have turned as many people off the system, most of my gaming friends, both of them, aren't interested because it makes their eyes sore.

So, how do Nintendo save this one?
    How indeed, perhaps do a Touchpad, dump the machine and bring out something new in 2012.
    Sony will take for ages to turn the Vita into a market leader, PS3 IPs on it will appeal to PS3 owners, great if you live in Japan, little impact here.
    Maybe Nintendo should bite the bullet and partner with Apple?
    Who knows.

One thing's for sure, 2012 is going to be really interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Games don't sell consoles though, not in the first year or so, marketing does and so far nintendo have made a balls of it. It's been advertised enough but what's wrong is the name. After the DS lite, DSi and DSi XL to the lay person the 3DS sounds like another iteration of the DS hardware with a tacted on 3D display. The price as well was way off the mark. I think nintendo should really reconsider the Wii U name since most people think it's just another Wii peripheral.

Sony on the other hand I think won't mess up the PS Vita. They got complacent after the playstation and the PS2 should have been a complete flop if it wasn't for brand recognition. The PSP didn't do too badly but software sales were terrible and if it wasn't for Monster Hunter in Japan the machine would have been dead 2 years ago. The PS3 was a big slap in the face for Sony to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Just saw this Sony advert that is popular in Japan right now... they used the same actors from a 1999 PS1 advert in an advert for the 2011 PSP remake:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Games don't sell consoles though, not in the first year or so, marketing does and so far nintendo have made a balls of it. It's been advertised enough but what's wrong is the name. After the DS lite, DSi and DSi XL to the lay person the 3DS sounds like another iteration of the DS hardware with a tacted on 3D display. The price as well was way off the mark. I think nintendo should really reconsider the Wii U name since most people think it's just another Wii peripheral.

In fairness, Nintendo have copped onto this the past few months. They've got those late-night ads with Simon Pegg narrating, bookended by this statement:

'This is no DS, this is 3DS'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

DinoRex wrote: »
    Just saw this Sony advert that is popular in Japan right now... they used the same actors from a 1999 PS1 advert in an advert for the 2011 PSP remake:

They should bring back the Society Against Playstation!
    With the great "Stick" ad!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm amazing that ren and stimpy's creators didn't take Sony to the cleaners for those adverts since they are such a blatant copy.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    They should bring back the Society Against Playstation!
    With the great "Stick" ad!

I just did... a few posts back!

I'm amazing that ren and stimpy's creators didn't take Sony to the cleaners for those adverts since they are such a blatant copy.

They ripped off Big Train as well too with their fake nature documentary adverts.

Did they also steal the imaginary gun shooting stuff from Spaced at one point as well?

Well, sorry for repeating said post, I hang my head in shame.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just as I read this 3DS related gloom and doom, I just got an email saying mine is finally in the post. Half tempted to trade it in for a US one :p

Who would want an EU machine and miss out on this:

Games don't sell consoles though, not in the first year or so

In fairness though, thats because usually there's more than a 15 year old rom port to keep you going isn't it? In this case, games would help....a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

EnterNow wrote: »
    In fairness though, thats because usually there's more than a 15 year old rom port to keep you going isn't it? In this case, games would help....a lot.

Its all down to games, doesn't matter how technically impressive a system is, without any software worth buying, the system isn't worth buying no matter what its capable. the same is true for the Vita, doesn't matter if it can make can cook your dinner for you without games, it won't sell.

Interestingly the opposite is also true, underpowered machines will sell if the games people want are there, ala the DS.

Well there was the 'fantastic' PS2 launch and post launch line up which had... fantavision and ports of Gradius 3 and 4 as it's best games. The DS also had a port of Mario 64 and Rub Rabbits if you must as it's must have until Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow came out a few months later.

I think nintendo needs a breackthrough casual gaming hit to increase the numbers of 3DS consoles sold. Nintendogs did it for the DS and made it a viable platform to develop for. I think not releasing Pokemon black and white on the 3DS in time for christmas was a big mistake.

Well there was the 'fantastic' PS2 launch and post launch line up which had... fantavision and ports of Gradius 3 and 4 as it's best games. The DS also had a port of Mario 64 and Rub Rabbits if you must as it's must have until Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow came out a few months later.

The PS2 was going to sell in droves regardless, Sony really owes itself to the PS1 even today.

The DS? Well had that got a superior rival breathing down its neck at the time, a la Vita? If not then maybe Nintendo could take their time with it a bit more & the pressure wasn't on. This is an entirely different situation

The 3DS is a new technology/high risk investment by Nintendo. Its very much in their interests to get this right. It's got a rival about to jump on board, which like the PS2, will sell by the bucketload based on name alone. In the almost six months that have passed since the 3DS launch, Nintendo are running the risk of having the 3DS name stained as a headache inducing paperweight, simply by not giving people anything to do on it.

I'd love to see it doing well, I love the effect. Why is there no film functionalty? Too 'mainstream' for Nintendo maybe? Still ages away from any half decent looking game release too. If I were in the market for a new handheld, I know which looks more promising. I'm sorry but they've completely & totally neglected the 3DS even after nearly six months. I can't believe they're scratching their heads wondering why it isn't selling, it's so stupid its actually amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just playing with my new 129 euro Touchpad and browsing is pretty nice and smooth.
    One thing I di find out was that the device slots perfectly into the iCade device, meaning Mame fun for me, once they finish porting either a dedicated version of the emulator or, more likely, they port Honeycomb and I just use the Android version of Mame instead.
    Good times!

Didn't know you had an iCade as well. What do you make of it?

The DS? Well had that got a superior rival breathing down its neck at the time, a la Vita? If not then maybe Nintendo could take their time with it a bit more & the pressure wasn't on. This is an entirely different situation.

The PSP? it was released a few months after the DS with a stupidly good launch line up and while EU and NA were waiting people were picking them up from japan. The DS was pretty much ridiculed on launch.

All I'm saying is give it some time. The start of Summer was a stupid launch window since it's such a lull for sales and releases. If by after christmas there's still trouble then it's time to get worried. No good games for months after launch is what always happens with new consoles. It was the same with the 360 and PS3, worse even for the PS3, and for older consoles like the Megadrive and even SNES.

TGS is also coming up and if Nintendo announce something like Monster Hunter on 3DS or a new Dragon Quest then the whole game is changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Sorry I've been away for a while fighting demons and trying to find Gracie, what have i missed?

did general retro discussion fill up or somthing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

The PSP? it was released a few months after the DS with a stupidly good launch line up and while EU and NA were waiting people were picking them up from japan. The DS was pretty much ridiculed on launch.

All I'm saying is give it some time. The start of Summer was a stupid launch window since it's such a lull for sales and releases. If by after christmas there's still trouble then it's time to get worried. No good games for months after launch is what always happens with new consoles. It was the same with the 360 and PS3, worse even for the PS3, and for older consoles like the Megadrive and even SNES.

TGS is also coming up and if Nintendo announce something like Monster Hunter on 3DS or a new Dragon Quest then the whole game is changed.

A Monster hunter would be great, but a pokemon game would be a huge helping hand to its sales.Saints row 3 would be great too, that is if it could handle it

Sorry I've been away for a while fighting demons and trying to find Gracie, what have i missed?

did general retro discussion fill up or somthing?

All threads over 10,000 posts had to be closed. In other words it was too awesome for boards to contain it.
    SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    A Monster hunter would be great, but a pokemon game would be a huge helping hand to its sales.Saints row 3 would be great too, that is if it could handle it

Pokemon is a long way off.

All threads over 10,000 posts had to be closed. In other words it was too awesome for boards to contain it.

Pokemon is a long way off.
    So is your face:cool:
    I knoe, but still.. it's a nice taught for a nintendo fan

Sorry I know this question doesnt belong in this tread (sorry mods) but i don't think i should start a new tread for a quick inquiry:p
    you guys play alot of video games, what sorta of melee/magic weapon should a water based character have in there arsenal?

Sorry I know this question doesnt belong in this tread (sorry mods) but i don't think i should start a new tread for a quick inquiry:p
    you guys play alot of video games, what sorta of melee/magic weapon should a water based character have in there arsenal?

06.jpg

definitely, definitely an electricity based weapon. Wont backfire on you at all and sure we all know water and electricity is a cocktail best served cold

definitely, definitely an electricity based weapon. Wont backfire on you at all and sure we all know water and electricity is a cocktail best served cold
    Ofcourse!:rolleyes:
    maybe a seaweed whip:confused:

There's always Tidus'd watery sword from FFX.

Are you making a game or somthing and looking to find a weapon to break away from the norm or just looking for an typical weapon

• Advertisement

Are you making a game or somthing and looking to find a weapon to break away from the norm or just looking for an typical weapon
    lol
    no.
    Im not making a game:rolleyes: although I want to go into Game design when I finish school:p
    Im just doing a few character designs
    I want aa unexpected weapon for him>>>for the forest version of this character he has a warhammer made from a deer leg(inspired from bear gryllss when he used one as a walking stick)

Im doing several forms of the same druid/mage such as forest,water and air

even though i am not really happy with the drawing style i used. Its way too cartoony

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement