Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

why would people be using google after watching the credits teaser?

The Best Boy Grip person totally got my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pauljeremiah

I think he means alot of the less hardcore people wouldn't have a clue who Thanos was and therefore would have no impact on them what so ever , Unlike me though outside of Doctor Doom Thanos has always been one of my favourite villains , There going to have an awful lot of work to make any of the Avengers a threat to him even hulk or Thor I don't think we'll see him for a while though as i think they'll do a few more films before Avengers 2 especially with Thanos's weapon of choice being in the weapons vault in Asguard , The Infinity Gauntlet

Who needs google when you've got boards.ie nerds lol
    oh i thought it was the Red Skull at the end after what happened to him at the end of Captain America.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

humanji wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how many people, after watching the credits teaser, had to use google?

For some reason after it was over I thought
    it was one of the skrulls....I'll blame the 3d

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Alot of people thought that but i reckon Red Skull will show again in either Cap 2 or Thor 2 as in Cap he seemed to be transported to one of the other realms so who knows, But its definitly the guy i said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

making of the sequel was after credits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the one thing i think whedon did very well with cap was illustrating just how out of touch he was in terms of stuff like that.

not to mention
    slipping fury a tenner. thats gotta be near racist territory now !

i really hope theres more of it in the deleted scenes on the DVD.

ha one of my friends said the exact same, its because
    Fury tells him earlier he bets him ten bucks he'll show him stuff that will blow his mind, its the payoff to that joke, my friend asked "why did he give Fury a tip?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Largely repeating what many have already said, but I found it to be a fun movie which I really enjoyed. I'd give it 7/10 - it was good, bordering on very good at times... but not "great".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Saw it tonight. Thought it was good, looked great, but definitely not as amazing as everyone's been saying. Waaay over-hyped.

Had to unsubscribe from this thread a few weeks back in fear of reading any major spoilers so I have a lot of reading to catch up on.

Just back in from seeing the film and I must say that it was a very entertaining 2 hours. Had planned on seeing it last night but alas when I went to buy two tickets I was told I could only get one as it was the last ticket they had.

The film is pure spectacle and all the better for it. The first act is somewhat sluggish and at times anticlimatic,
    Thor's arrival was rather underwhelming and made the finale of Thor a little pointless.
    It's obvious that the character development we saw in the previous films had to be excised given the large cast and sadly it all felt like a film made to fill in the gaps between where our heroes were last seen and when next we see them grace the silver screen.

The second act was pitch perfect and was pure Whedon. The interaction between the characters was fantastic and the scene with Black Widow and Loki was a great piece of cinema. Really wish that Loki had been given more to do, would have been nice to see a little more interaction between him and Thor.

The final third was something of a mixed bag. The action was expertly shot and unlike other recent Blockbusters we were never lost in all the carnage. But that said, it did feel a lot like the final third of the last Transformers film. Whedon did a lot to make our heroes look in danger but it was all rather anticlimactic. Perhaps it's because
    no one of any real value died, Coulson was a great character but I don't see how his loss would affect Captain America, Thor or The Hulk any more than the dozens of innocents that Loki had already killed. Had they killed off one of the main heroes then the motivation to become a team may have been more affective.

I'm assuming that Thor 2
    will involve Thanos attacking Asgard in search of the Infinity Gauntlet and that Avengers 2 will see earths mightiest trying to stop another alien entity from destroying the planet.

One thing that really annoyed me was the way the audience reacted, some people seemed to think that every one liner was deserving of hearty laughter and clapping. I know it's not a big thing but often the next line of dialogue was lost in the laughter.

At the end of the day The Avengers does everything it sets out to. It's thrilling, it's action packed, has great characters, a very good script and fine direction. It's not going to change the cinematic landscape but for 2 and a half hours it will put a smile on your face and have you wishing that you could be 10 years old again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

saw it tonight and loved it! Every second! It was fun and unexpected and action packed and explosive and witty... oh man! LOVED. IT.
    I didn't have a clue who that was after the credits so the impact wasn't what it should have been but still, nice teaser and great to know more are coming!

My only qualm was with the 3D. I found it hard to keep up with the action at times and have a raging headache as a result! But its a small price to pay for this massive grin that will take a few days to unhook from my face!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeBUsylqNieD6HNhXwTCdQStPVAm-aAMePyue-G-pVaDvZVbVd

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I saw it tonight and was disappointed overall. There were some good moments but overall I was quite bored by it.

Tony stark should really give the 3 weak avengers a suit, at least then they don't need lifts around the place to keep up.

I don't see why the Hulk was so much better than the other 2 versions. He had a bit more personality I suppose.

The fight scenes at the end did nothing for me, the inter avenger fighting was more interesting. Funnily enough I thought captain America was the most enjoyable to watch in combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gonna go see it tomorrow night..

.. from a quick glance of spoiler-free opinions - definitely give the 3D a miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Basq wrote: »
    Gonna go see it tomorrow night..

.. from a quick glance of spoiler-free opinions - definitely give the 3D a miss?

anyone I know that saw it in 3D regretted it, really doesnt need it as its a really well shot action movie, you can actually make out whats going on in the final act, which is a nice change, its got tracking shots and everything (including one absolutely superb single take shot with everyone doing their thing) and you can tell who's doing what, pay attention Bay!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,836 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I remember posting about my doubts about this movie and im absolutely delighted to say I was totally wrong, it really surprised me how good it is. I love the humour and the CGI has to be the best iv ever seen

Im probably on my own here but i hated Robert Downey Jr hence disliking Iron man but I really like him in this, maybe it was because of small doses.

My favourite superhero in the marvel universe is the Hulk and even thou he had brilliant moments in this movie, I wanted to see alot more of him and I also wanted more indept of Banner and Hulk stuff

Credits
    I presume that's Thanos at the end of the credits?

Can I also say im f'ucking fed up of 3D, let the bloody gimmick die

It was god awful in this movie. I had no choice other than watching it in 3D, some waste of money on those glasses ugh

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Skinfull wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeBUsylqNieD6HNhXwTCdQStPVAm-aAMePyue-G-pVaDvZVbVd

Simpsons,.The.6x06.Treehouse.Of.Horror.V.jpg

The hell are you smilin' at? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

This is why we can't have good movies anymore. The movie industry pandering to the lowest common denominator. 12yo's and adults with the mind of 12yo's is all that's catered for anymore. Going by the orgasmic reactions on here you would think it would be at least half decent and watchable. I watched it for a full hour trying to see what all the fuss was about. I couldn't bear to waste another 2 hours of my life enduring any more of the usual moronic garbage. Sometimes I despair. Not just at the movie industry either. I better stop before I say what I'm thinking about you people.

/rant.

btard wrote: »
    This is why we can't have good movies anymore. The movie industry pandering to the lowest common denominator. 12yo's and adults with the mind of 12yo's is all that's catered for anymore. Going by the orgasmic reactions on here you would think it would be at least half decent and watchable. I watched it for a full hour trying to see what all the fuss was about. I couldn't bear to waste another 2 hours of my life enduring any more of the usual moronic garbage. Sometimes I despair. Not just at the movie industry either. I better stop before I say what I'm thinking about you people.

/rant.

Terrible that a film would be aimed at 12 year olds and adults looking for some escapism. If the Avengers is cinema pandering to the lowest common denominator then I sure as hell hope that every blockbuster from now on panders at a similar level.

/rant.
    4074616796_2fa9a7c5e0_o.jpg

What are you talking about Willis? That's not a rant... that's the nonsensical ramblings of someone who can't express a well rounded opinion.

Regards,

Fan of Moronic Garbage!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw it tonight. I think they knocked it out of the park. Bar TDK its the best comic book film I've seen to date. Hulk was responsible for several of the best cinematic moments I've seen in a film this year and probably in the last few years.

Loved it loved it loved it. I hope they let Whedon make the follow up whenever that happens. If the TDKR and Prometheus fulfil/excede expectations as much as this we're in for a very good summer indeed :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Let me just slip on my stern moderator hat for a moment:

Play nice everyone. This thread isn't going to very fun one if people keep making value judgements and thinly veiled insults. Accusations of elitism, snobbery, stupidity etc... are getting us nowhere fast, and are frankly pretty horrible to read. Discuss the film and critiques of it on their own merits, and don't judge the people who liked or disliked it.

• Advertisement

Properly been mentioned previously but I'm wondering if the Avengers take place after the events of
    Thor 2. Would certainly explain his entrance being so underwhelming. I'm thinking that Thanos may already have the Infinity Gauntlet and was merely toying with Earth to see if it's heroes measured up to him.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Properly been mentioned previously but I'm wondering if the Avengers take place after the events of
    Thor 2. Would certainly explain his entrance being so underwhelming. I'm thinking that Thanos may already have the Infinity Gauntlet and was merely toying with Earth to see if it's heroes measured up to him.

Definitely a possibility i suppose, although I think maybe
    Loki's remark about Odin conjuring dark energy to send him back to earth was meant to explain his arrival somewhat.
    i like your idea better though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Saw this tonight. For the first 90 minutes (and I didn't know this until the gf told me afterwards), I was the only person laughing at all the references. I laugh with a bit of a boom and genuinely thought everyone else was laughing too. Woops!

My favourite parts were:
    Ruffalo's understated Banner

Banner and Stark's friendship

Captain America being done properly!

Every moment of Thor

Every moment of Hulk

The fact that Black Widow and Hawkeye weren't just afterthoughts

And lots of others that escape me right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I saw it tonight, in 3D.

Firstly the gunshots were not loud at all, it was weird.

The 3D is too dark, as per usual.

Really good film, I'd say an 8/10 rating. I'd regard myself as very critical when it comes to movies.

I can't imagine the 3D being up to much considering how dark some of the early scenes. The 2D screening seemed to be very, very dark, especially during the first Thor and Loki scene. Can't see that part looking in any way decent in 3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

/rant.

For gods sake , its a movie based on a comic book. I mean what were you expecting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

ive went twice, in 2d and 3d..

stick to 2d

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Saw it in 2d. trying to figure out where to get the time to watch it again. loved it every second of. the Hulk scenes just hilarious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Going to go see this tomorrow morning about midday, only $7 for a ticket then, and too tired to go tonight, So definitely give the 3D a miss then? Im someone who has only seen Avatar in 3D, which was amazing, but im guessing this film wasn't built around being in 3D?

• Advertisement

Going to go see this tomorrow morning about midday, only $7 for a ticket then, and too tired to go tonight, So definitely give the 3D a miss then? Im someone who has only seen Avatar in 3D, which was amazing, but im guessing this film wasn't built around being in 3D?
    Avatar was filmed using 3D, The Avengers was converted to 3D post-processing.

Advertisement