Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

p38 wrote: »
    Hi all new to the thread. Just finished Best Served cold by Joe Abercrombie. Cant order on-line, so was wondering is The Dark Elf trilogy by Ra Salvatore available in stores still. Tried ordering it through Easons waited nearly 2 months went back and they told me they must of forgot to order it:mad:

Check in Town (Dublin) Chapters or Hodges & Figgs would probably have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Even better, just get Prince of Thorns or Lies of Locke Lamora.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

Thanks for the info will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

starting Embassytown by China Mieville , had meant to start Spin by Robert Charles Wilson last night but either Amazon (or my own stupidity) somehow I managed to end up with a German edition :confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"A Princess of Landover" by Terry Brooks. Bought it ages ago and decided to give it a read finally. Light weight but enjoyable enough and more interesting (to my mind) than his more generic Shannara series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I'm just starting "Xenocide" by Orson Scott Card. The first 2 in the series were great so I'm looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SoTek72

Just started Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. Really enjoyed American gods so I'm hoping for more of the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just got Gardens Of The Moon, Heres hoping Ive a new series to tide me over till Martin or Jordans next book comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Finished "Hilldiggers" by Neil Asher. It took me a while to get into it, but when it got going it was excellent. One half of the book was an epic spacebattle, very enjoyable.

Starting "The Jennifer Morgue" by Charles Stross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

SoTek72 wrote: »
    Just started Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. Really enjoyed American gods so I'm hoping for more of the same.

Anansi Boys is a whole n'other level better than American Gods.

• Advertisement

Gave up on The Long Earth by Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett after about 130 pages. It was just tedious and seemed to be going nowhere. I think if a story and/or the characters don't grab you after about the 25% mark then you're just wasting your time. Shame, I was looking forward to it too.

Have gone back to The Hero of Ages and The Waste Lands(Dark Tower III) and am having to hold myself back from starting a third, Wild Cards V-Down and Dirty which I'm really looking forward to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Like many here, I'm currently readin Hyperion, but only because I'm working in reverse order through the ISFDB Top 100 in reverse order and it's number 98...
    I'm not gone on the format of what looks like being a short story collection, but the first two "short stories" were certainly excellent.

gufnork wrote: »
    Anansi Boys is a whole n'other level better than American Gods.
    I thought the opposite. Anansi boys turned the dark and interesting universe of American Gods into a puerile comedy routine. Like American Gods Pie.
    It was also bit of a rip off of King Rat...

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    ...the dark and interesting universe of American Gods...

...read, drawn-out and tedious. But each to their own I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Just started The Escapement, the third part of KJ Parker's Engineer Trilogy. Three seriously good books here, I really like her style.

Recommended for anyone who liked The Lies of Locke Lamora. Similar style characters, no magic.

Reading "Transitions" by Iain M. Banks. It's a bit of an oddity so far, seeing as it centres a fair bit around a dimension-hopping assassin. Too early [10%] to tell yet how it will play out.
    Recommended for anyone who liked The Lies of Locke Lamora. Similar style characters, no magic.
    The Engineer trilogy is more bleak and cynical - there are no real heroes. It's got a lot of sharp self deprecating humour. She's a good writer, whoever is behind the pen name. Also enjoyed the Scavenger series and the Company by the same.

Finished Way of Kings. Loved it.

Have picked up Andrew Ryan's 'Blood Song' now after hearing a lot of good things. I'm about 10% or so in and it's pretty good so far, although nothing new really yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Finished the acaccia trilogy, it was ok, felt like a gemmill book, you know theres only a few pages left and can't believe it'll end that quickly. Felt he could've wrapped up a bit more.

About 100 pages into the prince of thorns, liking it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Reading "Dark Days" the fourth book in the "Skulduggery Pleasant" series by Irish Author Derek Landy.

Some good snigger-worthy moments that you cannot explain out loud without people thinking that you are a bit mad.

I was late discovering Skulduggery but am enjoying it immensely, there are some fantastic characters and it is set in and around the Dublin area.

gufnork wrote: »
    ...read, drawn-out and tedious. But each to their own I suppose.
    Well I didn't say it was vintage Larry Niven or anything, just that it was an interesting setting!

• Advertisement

Ok Andrew Ryan is gonna be big.

I'm 50% of the way through and I'm finding it hard to put down right now. I don't think it's treading any new ground right now but it's really good at drawing you in, giving you little teasers of things that will be elaborated upon later. Really impressed with this indy author (although I believe the 2nd book has already been picked up from a publisher). Now it could all go horribly wrong in the 2nd half but I don't think it will. If anything the novel is now gathering pace.

This is only $2.99 on Kindle so do yourself and pick it up a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Ok Andrew Ryan is gonna be big.

I'm 50% of the way through and I'm finding it hard to put down right now. I don't think it's treading any new ground right now but it's really good at drawing you in, giving you little teasers of things that will be elaborated upon later. Really impressed with this indy author (although I believe the 2nd book has already been picked up from a publisher). Now it could all go horribly wrong in the 2nd half but I don't think it will. If anything the novel is now gathering pace.

This is only $2.99 on Kindle so do yourself and pick it up a favour.

Dont you mean Anthony Ryan?

Playboy wrote: »
    Dont you mean Anthony Ryan?

Yes, yes I do. :confused:

Yes, yes I do. :confused:

Purchased, it had better be good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

So is it andrew or anthony ryan? Is that the author? Of what book? Talk sense lads! :pac:

Well i ordered this, I think its the right one.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    So is it andrew or anthony ryan? Is that the author? Of what book? Talk sense lads! :pac:
    It's 100% Anthony Ryan - I know someone of the name, which makes it stick in my head.

Definitely Anthony. Buy it, totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Purchased, it had better be good :D

Bought it too so no pressure! Now I just need to find somewhere on my queue for it ...

I've been on a bit of a classic sci-fi phase recently so nearly finished Neuromancer by William Gibson. Its definitely a good read but I can't help but think some of the impact is dulled by the technology changes since it was first released. Some of the hacking/computer details just don't seem far fetched (or in fact are even out dated) any more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Just started on the second half of Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet. While I enjoyed the first two books I did find them a little too slow and ponderous. It seemed to take ages for anything to happen and then when it did it didnt seem like much of a climax. I was upset because there seemed to be so much potential in the world that he created that he wasn't even attempting to explore. Instead he was focusing imo too much on character development at the expense of the plot lines and exploring the world he had created. It's a strange complaint as in most fantasy (outside of ASOIAF) the reverse is true.

However... I am about 5 chapters in to the second set of books and I must say there seems to be a marked improvement. It's like the first two books were setting the scene and now he is going to crank it up a gear and I'm liking what I have read so far. I think if you are going to read it then you should approach it as if it were one large book rather than 4 individual parts of a series. No doubt though that he is a very intelligent writer. He really knows to create and develop real characters that you can relate to.

Advertisement